ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman

Who is Thompson?

breakout__1_.png

Isaiah Thompson - Indy Heat (IN)
Peach Jam stats: 14.4 PPG, 53.2 FG%, 46.4 3PT%, 2.6 RPG, 3.0 APG (2-3 record)

Isaiah Thompson missed the entire regular season for the Indy Heat, and man, it would have been cool to see what the Heat would have looked like with him at full strength. Peach Jam provided a glimpse into what Purdue is going to get from their verbal commitment in 2019, as Thompson picked up right where he left off before his injury. His shooting percentages stand out, and his confidence and aggressiveness were in mid-season form.

isaiahThompson-2.jpg

I agree. CMP dodged a bullet there.
How did he dodge a bullet? Phin was a bright spot on an otherwise disappointing season. The kid is really good and only going to get better. I hope we have him for 4 years but I’m kind of afraid he’ll have such a good season next year or the year after that he leaves early. With his size that probably won’t happen but when it’s all said and done I do think he’ll have an NBA career.

One of the Indiana All Stars.... But you’ll find out soon enough.

Well based on a couple of games we played against each other that’s pretty debatable wouldn’t you say.....??? Delusions never quite end with you people....The ultimate test for defense is if you can keep the other team from scoring more points than your team. All the statistics in the world are meaningless if you can’t do that. And let’s face it, that really wasn’t IU’s forte this year....

As for beating MSU twice, to steal an IU quip if I might....”So that was your Super Bowl?”
Kenpom had IU's defense ranked higher than Purdue's. IU held the high powered Purdue offense to 48 points. IU's struggles this season were on offense.

Kenpom had IU's defense ranked higher than Purdue's. IU held the high powered Purdue offense to 48 points. IU's struggles this season were on offense.

Simple question: which team was better this year and had the more successful season, IU or Purdue? I want to hear you say it. No tangents into Kenpom about offense or defense or RP, just which team was better and more successful.

Don't compare iu and Purdue defenses. Iu slows the ball down because they don't have any shooters. They want the games in the 50s-60s. We like to shoot threes and score a lot of points.

Simple question: which team was better this year and had the more successful season, IU or Purdue? I want to hear you say it. No tangents into Kenpom about offense or defense or RP, just which team was better and more successful.
Not sure why this needs to be said, but Purdue was the better overall team this year. Purdue's offense was significantly better than IU's. IU's defense was slightly better this season.

Wow!
Is that all you have?
Purdue gave up 67.3 points per game with a SOS of 55.
IU gave up 67.8 points per game with a SOS of 207.

Which team had the better defense again?
Per kenpom, Purdue had a SOS ranked 4th and IU was 27th. Those are factored into the defensive efficiency rankings.

breakout__1_.png

Isaiah Thompson - Indy Heat (IN)
Peach Jam stats: 14.4 PPG, 53.2 FG%, 46.4 3PT%, 2.6 RPG, 3.0 APG (2-3 record)

Isaiah Thompson missed the entire regular season for the Indy Heat, and man, it would have been cool to see what the Heat would have looked like with him at full strength. Peach Jam provided a glimpse into what Purdue is going to get from their verbal commitment in 2019, as Thompson picked up right where he left off before his injury. His shooting percentages stand out, and his confidence and aggressiveness were in mid-season form.

isaiahThompson-2.jpg
Exactly why we had no need for Phinisee. We have Nojel at least one more year and IT taking over from there. I don’t think Phinisee is a terrible player but I wouldn’t trade NE or IT for him ever. Fortunately we will have 6 more games against RP to prove it.

How did he dodge a bullet? Phin was a bright spot on an otherwise disappointing season. The kid is really good and only going to get better. I hope we have him for 4 years but I’m kind of afraid he’ll have such a good season next year or the year after that he leaves early. With his size that probably won’t happen but when it’s all said and done I do think he’ll have an NBA career.

You’re retarded!

I watched most Purdue games this year. RP would have played a much bigger role than Hunter did. Hunter would have been more effective if he brought anything to the offense.
RP did a good job in a tough situation. He was asked to be the starting point guard on a team which was severely lacking outside shooting.
Hunter was asked to back up at multiple positions on a team with very little available shots for a freshman. His role was to defend, which by the end of the season he was quite good at, and to facilitate the offense. He had fantastic assist to turnover ratio. The kid did what he was asked to do and was very important late in the season.
People who use statistics without knowledge of the circumstances in which the stats are generated don’t have a true grasp of events. That point is true regardless of what team you root for. For anyone to say that either was not good is silly. My bet is both are very good by their junior years.

RP was probably the one player on the IU team , this year, that they can be optimistic about . We all know at the beginning of the season they had high hopes for they're team. Romeo was a big flop , Morgan had a disappointing year, Green and Smith were disappointments as well . And throw in there Davis as well. So it's understandable that they think that they have a winner with Phinesse. The one glaring question that still remains is this. Can Archie Miller coach? We'll see.

Reactions: mathboy
Per kenpom, Purdue had a SOS ranked 4th and IU was 27th. Those are factored into the defensive efficiency rankings.
Yet when you look at points allowed, Purdue allowed less points with a much tougher schedule. Your .2 difference is negated when looking at the actual results.
Now all you have to do is figure out which results support your premise. One team won the Bigten and went to the elite 8, while the othe lost to a 6 seed in the NIT.

Which results do you think the players on both teams prefer?

Enjoy your off season. It’s truly the only time of the year when you will be able to say IU is even remotely on the same level as Purdue. We all know IU fans are desperate for anything to cling to having missed the tournament more often than not in the last 10 years.

I will just say Phinisee had a nice freshman year. There were many on this board that would have liked him as a Boiler. But the writing was on the wall. IT had committed a year early and it was clear Phinisee was not going to beat out Eastern. So he went to a place that offered him a chance to play. It was a great situation for him. Purdue cant sign every player. I wish him well. NBA material? Probably not. But there is no shame in being a starting college player.

Reactions: indyogb
I will just say Phinisee had a nice freshman year. There were many on this board that would have liked him as a Boiler. But the writing was on the wall. IT had committed a year early and it was clear Phinisee was not going to beat out Eastern. So he went to a place that offered him a chance to play. It was a great situation for him. Purdue cant sign every player. I wish him well. NBA material? Probably not. But there is no shame in being a starting college player.
I totally agree with what you said other than NBS potential. There seems to be something special about him and I think he takes a big leap this year. I may be wrong, who knows? We’ll find out this year. Also, Nojel is up a shit creek without shooters like Cline and Edwards around him. He had no chance of ever making it in the NBA if he doesn’t start shooting from distance and making a decent percentage of them. He’s a good defender but I don’t think he’s athletic enough to be a Patrick Beverly type defender in the NBA. I hope I’m wrong but he’ll play in the G league or over seas for his career and there’s nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is meant for the NBA and God didn’t bless him with the ability to shoot the ball very well so it seems. Judging from his form at the line I can’t see him ever improving either. He got to where he could make foul shots but he looks like a golfer with the yips at the line. It’s like even he’s afraid because he doesn’t know when he’s going to yip it.

I am not sure why we are comparing Purdue's second string PG to IU's starting PG. That doesn't make sense to me. Of course Phiny is going to have better stats in that situation.

The real issue on the court is who would you start? Phinessee or Eastern? Eastern is the reason we didn't look hard at the kid from Lafayette. When IU rests Phinessee, who comes in? Is he as good as Hunter? That is the comparison that makes sense.

Given that Eastern is a far better PG, if I am Phinessee, I cross Purdue off my list right away. Right behind Eastern, we had Thompson already committed, so Phinessee would have been challenged as a starter after Eastern left.

I think scouting people are sleeping on Thompson. He is going to surprise folks, especially in Painter's system. He is taller, faster, and a better ball handler than his older brother all-BIG PJ Thompson.

There you go bringing logic and reasoning to a message board. No need for that here...it doesn't fit into the pissing contest! :)

Reactions: Schnelk
I totally agree with what you said other than NBS potential. There seems to be something special about him and I think he takes a big leap this year. I may be wrong, who knows? We’ll find out this year. Also, Nojel is up a shit creek without shooters like Cline and Edwards around him. He had no chance of ever making it in the NBA if he doesn’t start shooting from distance and making a decent percentage of them. He’s a good defender but I don’t think he’s athletic enough to be a Patrick Beverly type defender in the NBA. I hope I’m wrong but he’ll play in the G league or over seas for his career and there’s nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is meant for the NBA and God didn’t bless him with the ability to shoot the ball very well so it seems. Judging from his form at the line I can’t see him ever improving either. He got to where he could make foul shots but he looks like a golfer with the yips at the line. It’s like even he’s afraid because he doesn’t know when he’s going to yip it.

LOL.

you think Phinisee is better than Nojel.

That's cute!

Doesn’t look like the yips to me.

LOL.

you think Phinisee is better than Nojel.

That's cute!
He’s a year younger but yeah all around he has more potential unless Nojel is able to find a jump shot. Phin did really well for a freshman and I’m sure he’ll continue to improve. Nojel is already at his ceiling unless he learns to shoot and I don’t think he’s capable but I hope he proves me wrong.

Doesn’t look like the yips to me.

People don’t yip it when there’s no pressure. Why doesn’t he shoot jumpers during the game? Like I said, if he shows that he really can shoot jumpers then I think he’ll make a fine NBA player one day. I wish the kid the best. The thing is I’m a golfer and I played basketball so I think of putting a golf ball and shooting a basketball similarly. Practice can help you improve some but ultimately if you’re ever going to be really good at either it’s god given. You’ve either got it or you don’t.

Last edited:
He’s a year younger but yeah all around he has more potential unless Nojel is able to find a jump shot. Phin did really well for a freshman and I’m sure he’ll continue to improve. Nojel is already at his ceiling unless he learns to shoot and I don’t think he’s capable but I hope he proves me wrong.

They're both young. Numerous players have developed after their So year.

Phinisee hasn't shown an ability to play at an elite level. Nojel has.

Nojel has also shown a propensity to approve dramatically. Phinisee hasn't.

If you're seeing NBA potential in Phinisee but not Nojel, I don't think your opinion is to be taken seriously. In fact, its on the borderline of being mocked. I'm not being mean, just direct.

Reactions: joe for prez
Nojel is no where near his ceiling. Asinine statement. Phinisee is a really nice player. Good future if he works really hard. Really no sense in bringing them into the same discussion, the only thing they have in common is they both play basketball.

Reactions: Purdue85
Per Kenpom IU ranked 32nd in defensive efficiency and Purdue ranked 34th.
I’ll stay out of the argument, in general, but I will point out that Purdue’s defensive ranking was climbing all season after a very slow start. By the end of the year, Purdue was much better than the 34th best defensive team in the country.

I really don’t know about IU because I wasn’t tracking them.

People don’t yip it when there’s no pressure. Why doesn’t he shoot jumpers during the game? Like I said, if he shows that he really can shoot jumpers then I think he’ll make a fine NBA player one day. I wish the kid the best. The thing is I’m a golfer and I played basketball so I think of putting a golf ball and shooting a basketball similarly. Practice can help you improve some but ultimately if you’re ever going to be really good at either it’s god given. You’ve either got it or you don’t.
Nojel had it in HS. He’ll get it again. We didn’t need his 3 point shooting this past year but we will next. I do appreciate your concern for him.

Take a look at the Big Ten stats for conference games only. Wouldn't that be a more accurate comparison, given a more level comparison using strength of schedule? In conference only games Purdue had better statistics in pretty much every category - scoring, FG defense, 3 point FG defense, steals, etc .The ONLY area in which Purdue didn't finish ahead of iu was in blocked shots, and even then the stats show a tie.

Take a look at the Big Ten stats for conference games only. Wouldn't that be a more accurate comparison, given a more level comparison using strength of schedule? In conference only games Purdue had better statistics in pretty much every category - scoring, FG defense, 3 point FG defense, steals, etc .The ONLY area in which Purdue didn't finish ahead of iu was in blocked shots, and even then the stats show a tie.
Yeah but, they beat a final four team, twice and held the mighty Boilers to 48 points.

This guy doesn’t know what he is talking about. That one game where the entire season became clear to him is more important than a full seasons worth of actual game time. IU was clearly a better defensive team. Those 13 losses in a row were the outliers.

Yeah but, they beat a final four team, twice and held the mighty Boilers to 48 points.

This guy doesn’t know what he is talking about. That one game where the entire season became clear to him is more important than a full seasons worth of actual game time. IU was clearly a better defensive team. Those 13 losses in a row were the outliers.

Yeah, I forgot about their great free throw defense in the win at MSU! Didn't see that in the Big Ten stats.

Sir be very worried about what you will have to deal with this upcoming season. Best believe everything you say he cannot do he will be doing especially shooting the ball. He’s NBA good right u must know who I talk too bcuz if you did I was told by some very respectful ppl he’s a jump shot a way from being a player that will be hard to defend and nba player. I have my resources and best believe he’s has everything the NBA wants including his 6”7 frame who can defend multiple positions who is athletic and quick you obviously have no clue what the NBA is based on POTENTIAL he sure has plenty of it too. Oh by the way he still has shooters around him. Never doubt the mind of a warrior he will come into next season with a different mindset mamba mentality shooting that thang as well being a leader while still making his teammates better still locking dudes up. Cline and carsen have moved on but what comes back Aaron Haarms Sasha Eric Newman Evan IT all can shoot the ball he will have options while he knocking down shots too. What confidence can do for ya now he has it look out.

So, Nojel isn't athletic enough? You can't be non-athletic and shut down every team's top offensive threat the way he did. As for his shot, we all want him to shoot from out, and I think he does that this year.

Reactions: indyogb
Sir be very worried about what you will have to deal with this upcoming season. Best believe everything you say he cannot do he will be doing especially shooting the ball. He’s NBA good right u must know who I talk too bcuz if you did I was told by some very respectful ppl he’s a jump shot a way from being a player that will be hard to defend and nba player. I have my resources and best believe he’s has everything the NBA wants including his 6”7 frame who can defend multiple positions who is athletic and quick you obviously have no clue what the NBA is based on POTENTIAL he sure has plenty of it too. Oh by the way he still has shooters around him. Never doubt the mind of a warrior he will come into next season with a different mindset mamba mentality shooting that thang as well being a leader while still making his teammates better still locking dudes up. Cline and carsen have moved on but what comes back Aaron Haarms Sasha Eric Newman Evan IT all can shoot the ball he will have options while he knocking down shots too. What confidence can do for ya now he has it look out.
I said if he develops a consistent jumper he’ll be a solid NBA player but I don’t think he’s capable of that. We’ll see if I’m right or not. Also, who cares what I think? Just from my experience if you can’t at all at this point it will be hard to ever get to where you’re even a decent outside shooter and playing horse doesn’t count. I can tell you that a guy I know that played one season in the league was being told he was going to be drafted too, he wasn’t.

And another thing. You know I just do this to get under your skin, right? At times my life is that boring. You need to relax, I think. It seems to me he puts too much pressure on himself when he’s out there at times. He just needs to loosen up and play. He is just a jumper though from having a 100 million dollar career. If it doesn’t develop he’ll make 2-3 million over his playing career. I’m sure he’s aware of this so that would put a lot of pressure on you.

Reactions: delish1

Yeah but you forgot about all their boo -boos and owies!!!

I said if he develops a consistent jumper he’ll be a solid NBA player but I don’t think he’s capable of that. We’ll see if I’m right or not. Also, who cares what I think? Just from my experience if you can’t at all at this point it will be hard to ever get to where you’re even a decent outside shooter and playing horse doesn’t count. I can tell you that a guy I know that played one season in the league was being told he was going to be drafted too, he wasn’t.

And another thing. You know I just do this to get under your skin, right? At times my life is that boring. You need to relax, I think. It seems to me he puts too much pressure on himself when he’s out there at times. He just needs to loosen up and play. He is just a jumper though from having a 100 million dollar career. If it doesn’t develop he’ll make 2-3 million over his playing career. I’m sure he’s aware of this so that would put a lot of pressure on you.
I hear ya guy it’s cool he will continue to grind work till his arm comes off but this time the biggest thing he has is his confidence has returned. Time to keep working and improving that he will do. He has no pressure now he’s knows it’s his time but also knows his teammates will be counting on him like he will be counting on them but he’s ready now to take his game back to were it was b4 bcuz he’s gonna have more opportunities to shoot and play his game. Anyway you right about one thing I need to relax don’t let the small stuff get to me.

RP had a better year than Hunter. It's really not debatable. Hunter was very bad offensively, and defensively he was your 2nd worst defender behind Cline according to Drtg. Hunter would not have played if RP had considered/committed to Purdue.
I'll bet he lay awake many nights this year wishing he had made a different choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT