ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman

I'll bet he lay awake many nights this year wishing he had made a different choice.
RP had a nice freshman season and he played with basically a broken hand. Your bias blinds all of you. He’s a very good player and only going to get better. In the NBA teams won’t be able to clog the paint against him and if they do they’ll pay as his shooting will only get better. His defense got better as the season went on too. He’ll end up a very good defender in the nba.

RP had a nice freshman season and he played with basically a broken hand. Your bias blinds all of you. He’s a very good player and only going to get better. In the NBA teams won’t be able to clog the paint against him and if they do they’ll pay as his shooting will only get better. His defense got better as the season went on too. He’ll end up a very good defender in the nba.

All your aliases blind me. I heard there were 3-4 pro scouts at a few of the NIT games.

I’ll stay out of the argument, in general, but I will point out that Purdue’s defensive ranking was climbing all season after a very slow start. By the end of the year, Purdue was much better than the 34th best defensive team in the country.

I really don’t know about IU because I wasn’t tracking them.
All your aliases blind me. I heard there were 3-4 pro scouts at a few of the NIT games.
Oh no, you are wrong. I understand there were so many scouts there that they were lined up out the door. Maybe hundreds of scouts.

Wait, you meant boy scouts, right?

RP did a good job in a tough situation. He was asked to be the starting point guard on a team which was severely lacking outside shooting.
Hunter was asked to back up at multiple positions on a team with very little available shots for a freshman. His role was to defend, which by the end of the season he was quite good at, and to facilitate the offense. He had fantastic assist to turnover ratio. The kid did what he was asked to do and was very important late in the season.
People who use statistics without knowledge of the circumstances in which the stats are generated don’t have a true grasp of events. That point is true regardless of what team you root for. For anyone to say that either was not good is silly. My bet is both are very good by their junior years.
KaBAM!

Sir be very worried about what you will have to deal with this upcoming season. Best believe everything you say he cannot do he will be doing especially shooting the ball. He’s NBA good right u must know who I talk too bcuz if you did I was told by some very respectful ppl he’s a jump shot a way from being a player that will be hard to defend and nba player. I have my resources and best believe he’s has everything the NBA wants including his 6”7 frame who can defend multiple positions who is athletic and quick you obviously have no clue what the NBA is based on POTENTIAL he sure has plenty of it too. Oh by the way he still has shooters around him. Never doubt the mind of a warrior he will come into next season with a different mindset mamba mentality shooting that thang as well being a leader while still making his teammates better still locking dudes up. Cline and carsen have moved on but what comes back Aaron Haarms Sasha Eric Newman Evan IT all can shoot the ball he will have options while he knocking down shots too. What confidence can do for ya now he has it look out.
I love this..."Never doubt the mind of a warrior he will come into next season with a different mindset mamba mentality shooting that thang as well being a leader while still making his teammates better still locking dudes up." I have no doubt that "shooting" can be improved...and a warrior can do it as well as lead teams. Carsen had a certain mindset...Biggie had a certain mindset and sometimes it had them do things perhaps they shouldn't, but they were warriors and THAT attitude led to their success. Best wishes that Nojel gets where he wants.

I'm sure he'll be a stupendous defender on the practice squad where he is liable to end up.

LOL. Your bias didn't even let you read my words. But you supported my statement.

I love this..."Never doubt the mind of a warrior he will come into next season with a different mindset mamba mentality shooting that thang as well being a leader while still making his teammates better still locking dudes up." I have no doubt that "shooting" can be improved...and a warrior can do it as well as lead teams. Carsen had a certain mindset...Biggie had a certain mindset and sometimes it had them do things perhaps they shouldn't, but they were warriors and THAT attitude led to their success. Best wishes that Nojel gets where he wants.
The first bad game he has you’ll be the first to trash him. He is a good player but he’s missing something. If he finds a jumper and averages 18 next year and is efficient he’ll prove me wrong. But I’ve never seen someone that can’t putt suddenly become a very good putter. If he goes from a guy that can’t shoot to a guy that is a very good shooter then he needs to go number 1 in the draft as he’s capable of anything then.

The first bad game he has you’ll be the first to trash him. He is a good player but he’s missing something. If he finds a jumper and averages 18 next year and is efficient he’ll prove me wrong. But I’ve never seen someone that can’t putt suddenly become a very good putter. If he goes from a guy that can’t shoot to a guy that is a very good shooter then he needs to go number 1 in the draft as he’s capable of anything then.

What the h*ll... is this forum being infested with idiocy this week?

I have never seen tj "trash" anyone on this forum.

What part of "improved" do you not understand?

Yes, Phinessee is going to be a nice player. He will be a starter on a BIG team, so that validates some of this noise I read here. I think there are maybe 4-6 better point guards in the BiG, so I figure him to be roughly an average PG. now that's not bad, but it is not going to propel IU into contention. To some degree, some of the IU trolls here are just attempting to turn a Purdue related thread into one about IU just to screw with us, under the pretext of having a "basketball discussion". I am done with the topic of Phinny and IU in this thread.

Besides, the OP and topic of this thread is Brandon Newman, who will be at best, an average BIG wing his freshman year. That speaks volumes for how good he will be at the end of the year, and going forward. He might even lead the team in scoring his sophomore year. He is one player I am really looking forward to seeing.

Sir he won’t be perfect like all players they all have bad games now and than at every level however he did not forget how to shoot he just didn’t never really got many opportunities to do so not much offensive sets were tailored around him like some others he played his role to facilitate and run the offense up and put his teammates in position to score he did that while taking a backseat to his offense bcuz his mind was on winning games which they did now he’ll have opportunities on offense to do what he do well just hoop score the ball and shoot the ball while still doing everything else for the team. Sir never underestimate the mind of a Warrior who now has his confidence back and ready to get back to doing what he did in HS everything including shooting the ball. He got a plan he gone put in that work he gone come into season with a different mentality and mindset and ball the he’ll out. You haven’t really seen the real NE wait you will come next season

Sir he won’t be perfect like all players they all have bad games now and than at every level however he did not forget how to shoot he just didn’t never really got many opportunities to do so not much offensive sets were tailored around him like some others he played his role to facilitate and run the offense up and put his teammates in position to score he did that while taking a backseat to his offense bcuz his mind was on winning games which they did now he’ll have opportunities on offense to do what he do well just hoop score the ball and shoot the ball while still doing everything else for the team. Sir never underestimate the mind of a Warrior who now has his confidence back and ready to get back to doing what he did in HS everything including shooting the ball. He got a plan he gone put in that work he gone come into season with a different mentality and mindset and ball the he’ll out. You haven’t really seen the real NE wait you will come next season
I love you treed!

I don't think you know me. You are not qualified to have any idea what I know and what I don't know. I have never trashed Nojel as I don't believe in trashing Purdue players and other players on other teams that don't bring it upon themselves. I don't live and die with a ball player or team having a degree of success. I know for a fact that kids can improve their shooting and I can get into a gym during warmups and pretty much tell you who you have to guard and who you don't. Now, I'm not going to say that you can teach a player to hit a FT with a lot of pressure on, but you can improve that player's shot. You will have more success telling the forum that Phinisee will be a star defensive player than me on people NOT becoming better shooters or ....basketball in general based upon your continuous phinisee being a star in the NBA "BASED" upon what you saw this year. He did a good job as a freshman, but nothing to indicate NBA today.

giphy.gif

Now we're getting down to the real reason he's here.
He craves attention. He's been banned from all the other boards, and he was banned from this one. But we are more patient, so he keeps coming back.

A little self-awareness would be a huge benefit to this sociopath.

So is it consensus on this board that Brandon Newman is underrated in terms of ESPN/247/Rivals rankings. I've only seen youtube clips. Certainly looks the part as a high school senior. Usually guys who look the part and dominant get ranked pretty high. Any legitimate reason(s) he's not ranked higher (top 40-50 range)? Perhaps a late bloomer?

So is it consensus on this board that Brandon Newman is underrated in terms of ESPN/247/Rivals rankings. I've only seen youtube clips. Certainly looks the part as a high school senior. Usually guys who look the part and dominant get ranked pretty high. Any legitimate reason(s) he's not ranked higher (top 40-50 range)? Perhaps a late bloomer?
He didn't really breakout until Peach Jam last year. I do believe the Rivals ranking is more accurate. We need him to have a pretty big role on this year's team. Physically he is ready, so hopefully he picks up offensive and defensive concepts quickly during the summer/fall. He is considered a 3 and D guy, and that's exactly what we need.

He didn't really breakout until Peach Jam last year. I do believe the Rivals ranking is more accurate. We need him to have a pretty big role on this year's team. Physically he is ready, so hopefully he picks up offensive and defensive concepts quickly during the summer/fall. He is considered a 3 and D guy, and that's exactly what we need.
He also has some explosive ability at the rim. If he can tighten his handles and be ready for contact going to the rim, he will be a great player by Soph/Jr year.

Phinisee going pro? Are you nuts? What did he average about 5 per game and shot 25 percent from three on a horrible team.
I think Phinisee ends up being a pro...but not after a full four years at IU. He can guard well and facilitates really well...his issue is that the NBA wants scoring from all 5 positions and if he doesn't improve that scoring, he won't get a sniff. His problem may end up being more coaching than skill as Archie has proven he isn't really an offensive guru when it comes to offense.

This is pretty exciting if true. I never made it to see him play but guys who work like that usually "overachieve"
That is what I was told by someone who knows. I live in Valparaiso so I hear some things. He has things to work on but he has the right work ethic.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think Phinisee ends up being a pro...but not after a full four years at IU. He can guard well and facilitates really well...his issue is that the NBA wants scoring from all 5 positions and if he doesn't improve that scoring, he won't get a sniff. His problem may end up being more coaching than skill as Archie has proven he isn't really an offensive guru when it comes to offense.

When a lot of people say "pro" I take it to mean "NBA."

There's ZERO to think he's NBA material.

He's small (6'0", 180-ish).

He isn't a scoring threat (to your point).

He doesn't possess elite quickness.

He might prove me wrong, but there's nothing he showed as a FR that leads any objective observer to think he'll break into the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT