ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman

A bit of a hitch would be an understatement. His shot doesn't look terrible in the video. I wonder what's happened?
I believe he is psychologically affected by trying to make every shot. Too much pressure on this NBA aspirations has him pulling it back causing a hitch because he is unsure he can make the shot. He needs to let it go, but that's easy for me to say and he knows it I'm sure.

The more he practices the more this hitch gets ingrained with muscle memory. The kid needs a break from the game and not pick up a ball for awhile.

Reactions: overthetop16
I believe he is psychologically affected by trying to make every shot. Too much pressure on this NBA aspirations has him pulling it back causing a hitch because he is unsure he can make the shot. He needs to let it go, but that's easy for me to say and he knows it I'm sure.

The more he practices the more this hitch gets ingrained with muscle memory. The kid needs a break from the game and not pick up a ball for awhile.

I'm not gung-ho about people solving problems by stepping away from the problem, but this may be the best option to avoid the muscle memory of bad shot mechanics.

This makes me wonder about Painter's coaching style and the "telling them straight" mantra. Players need to be mentally tough, but they're family once they come into the program and figuring out how to help them also has to be a consideration.

Treed, my apologies. Damned if I know what it's like to watch your child struggle, but it's clear that something has hurt his confidence in his shot and developed that hitch.

Reactions: nagemj02
I'm not gung-ho about people solving problems by stepping away from the problem, but this may be the best option to avoid the muscle memory of bad shot mechanics.

This makes me wonder about Painter's coaching style and the "telling them straight" mantra. Players need to be mentally tough, but they're family once they come into the program and figuring out how to help them also has to be a consideration.

Treed, my apologies. Damned if I know what it's like to watch your child struggle, but it's clear that something has hurt his confidence in his shot and developed that hitch.

That is pretty stark. Now i understand why mom gets so fired up at the shooting comments. That would be incredibly difficult as a parent. I wonder if some of it is trying to speed up the release at a higher level. I know I always had a slightly different release in games but I'm nowhere near as talented as nojel so I probably should just keep my mouth shut on that.
I said this before but he does seem tentative in all offensive aspects right now which sucks for him (even more than us fans). His ability stood out and I really hope he can get it back for his sake. I'd never seen anyone block away an alleyoop like he did which just shows the instincts and athleticism...
Either way though from seeing him interact with fans at football games, hes someone I'll always root for regardless of anything that happens on the floor. Really seemed like a genuinely good dude.

Sir I’m sure if u asked most basketball players why they play basketball they will probably say cuz They love it and hope to one day play in the NBA my son is no different. Dakato , Vince ,PJ and Haas all got there degrees but we’re are they all 4 living out there dreams to play professionally.
So many judge these players and often time nobody knows what some of these players are going through in life period and with the pressures of being a college student rather on scholarship or not it’s tough on some of these young adults especially being a student athlete. The demands they have are far different than an average student but fans wanna call them out when they don’t play up to the standards some think they should when nobody walk through their shoes day to day but criticize them when things don’t go as plan.
My son lost his cousin my nephew to gun violence a couple years ago he was very very close to him and that hurted him as well as myself to loose a love one like that can cause the mind to wonder. I said to my son he needed to take some time off from basketball and when he comes home next week he will be around his mom family and friends and as a family we here to support him with whatever he’s going through. But I no my son he will be in that gym Friday mourning after the game Thursday night working on his game like he has since he’s been 10 years old. That’s his sanctuary his place of splice and even tho I thought of telling him to take time away from basketball I will get up at 6am in the mourning and he and I will get it in for a couple of hours probably twice a day while he work through this.
He’s making strides how I no last game against Maryland he was actually shooting 3s and FTs something he wud not do at all while in warmups especially shooting jump shots and it looked fine that’s something to build on now. The good thing is he hasn’t lost confidence in his whole game but maybe some in his shooting which is why he needs more involvement in the offense to get him going to build his confidence that happens than well see the real NE. I had several ppl who been watching my son play basketball since middle school call me and ask me what’s wrong with nojel bcuz we all no who he is and what he’s capable of doing and that player I’ve been watching isn’t the kid who played with passion and had plenty confidence in himself that could score at will shoot the ball play inside and out watching him now he’s slowly coming back to being himself and when he get back to being the NE I no he’s a treat to watch play.
The great thing is still a lot of season to be played and I can see him pulling it together very soon. My advice to some of you as fans Try not to be over critical of these players they play for you the fan their parents and themselves. They all are not perfect they all gonna make mistakes they all put in hours amongst hours working on their games to be the best they can be and represent this university with class and dignity that should count for something. Calling players out of their name to me isn’t adult like and we as adults can do better than that no matter what you think of a player. That’s uncalled for. This team is coming together they gonna figure it out and once they do they could be something special to watch.

No apologies needed he’s gonna be just fine

Treed, watching this video Nojel has a nice looking pull up jumper; so I know he's capable. I never played college ball so I'm not going to pretend to know what it takes to be successful at this level. From a fans standpoint-it seems he's developed a bit of a hitch in his shot that he didn't previously have (video). I'm confident his shooting/scoring will get caught up to his defense.
I cannot find any video of Nojel last year and he may have solved a problem from his freshman year. In this video around the 1 minute mark you can catch two Fts. What you can see is his shooting foot appears an inch or two closer to the line than his right foot...good. The big thing I see was that he kept the ball on the left side of his body...it did NOT cross his face which was the area I would have worked with last year...he may have solved that this year as he is shooting better...at least in warmups. As a freshman he would start out on his left side...move the ball to teh right and then back to the left...kinda going from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock counter clockwise. In this video he never did that. why...who knows, but that is where I would have spent my time with him last year...fixing that shooting pocket.

Seems like a great guy that the players like adn so I hope he reaches his goals and I believe his shooting can be fixed...and hope it happens for him

Reactions: nagemj02
That's actually a fair point. Unless we add some elite talent through recruiting, one or more of those guys are going to need to develop into a biggie/etwaun/carsen level talent if we want a shot at a big title and to advance in the tournament.

Exactly.....well put,,,,good players...,where is the difference makers that will be the all B1G 1st or second or third team guys you need? Will that develop.....perhaps....But perhaps not.....

Sir I’m sure if u asked most basketball players why they play basketball they will probably say cuz They love it and hope to one day play in the NBA my son is no different. Dakato , Vince ,PJ and Haas all got there degrees but we’re are they all 4 living out there dreams to play professionally.
So many judge these players and often time nobody knows what some of these players are going through in life period and with the pressures of being a college student rather on scholarship or not it’s tough on some of these young adults especially being a student athlete. The demands they have are far different than an average student but fans wanna call them out when they don’t play up to the standards some think they should when nobody walk through their shoes day to day but criticize them when things don’t go as plan.
My son lost his cousin my nephew to gun violence a couple years ago he was very very close to him and that hurted him as well as myself to loose a love one like that can cause the mind to wonder. I said to my son he needed to take some time off from basketball and when he comes home next week he will be around his mom family and friends and as a family we here to support him with whatever he’s going through. But I no my son he will be in that gym Friday mourning after the game Thursday night working on his game like he has since he’s been 10 years old. That’s his sanctuary his place of splice and even tho I thought of telling him to take time away from basketball I will get up at 6am in the mourning and he and I will get it in for a couple of hours probably twice a day while he work through this.
He’s making strides how I no last game against Maryland he was actually shooting 3s and FTs something he wud not do at all while in warmups especially shooting jump shots and it looked fine that’s something to build on now. The good thing is he hasn’t lost confidence in his whole game but maybe some in his shooting which is why he needs more involvement in the offense to get him going to build his confidence that happens than well see the real NE. I had several ppl who been watching my son play basketball since middle school call me and ask me what’s wrong with nojel bcuz we all no who he is and what he’s capable of doing and that player I’ve been watching isn’t the kid who played with passion and had plenty confidence in himself that could score at will shoot the ball play inside and out watching him now he’s slowly coming back to being himself and when he get back to being the NE I no he’s a treat to watch play.
The great thing is still a lot of season to be played and I can see him pulling it together very soon. My advice to some of you as fans Try not to be over critical of these players they play for you the fan their parents and themselves. They all are not perfect they all gonna make mistakes they all put in hours amongst hours working on their games to be the best they can be and represent this university with class and dignity that should count for something. Calling players out of their name to me isn’t adult like and we as adults can do better than that no matter what you think of a player. That’s uncalled for. This team is coming together they gonna figure it out and once they do they could be something special to watch.
Treed I'm sure the heck not a doctor.However I suspect that maybe Nojel has anxiety issues! I never played at his level but can tell you I went through it and still have issues.I can tell you it's not fun! You say confidence and that is part of anxiety.Just a thought as I would love to see Nojel have fun playing Basketball!

Reactions: tjreese
Treed I'm sure the heck not a doctor.However I suspect that maybe Nojel has anxiety issues! I never played at his level but can tell you I went through it and still have issues.I can tell you it's not fun! You say confidence and that is part of anxiety.Just a thought as I would love to see Nojel have fun playing Basketball!
Could be that too the good thing he comes home for a bit next week and the semester just ended now he has some time get his mind right being away from all this for a little while. That’s the goal while being home finding things to do to keep his mind off basketball which will be hard to do bcuz he loves the game so much but I’ll try to keep him busy with things to do to get his mind off what has him in his funk. Appreciate you reaching out and giving some insight everything helps at this point. I see some signs lately that he’s being himself again we just gotta be patient and I no that’s easily said than done. God bless and happy holidays.

Could be that too the good thing he comes home for a bit next week and the semester just ended now he has some time get his mind right being away from all this for a little while. That’s the goal while being home finding things to do to keep his mind off basketball which will be hard to do bcuz he loves the game so much but I’ll try to keep him busy with things to do to get his mind off what has him in his funk. Appreciate you reaching out and giving some insight everything helps at this point. I see some signs lately that he’s being himself again we just gotta be patient and I no that’s easily said than done. God bless and happy holidays.
I'm glad you took it that way! Tell you another thing,if people have never had this the don't have a clue on how bad it can mess you up! Like I've said I have it and I only play in an old guys league! Did a lot of research on anxiety and was really surprised at how many Pro athletes have it.You might want to check it out! It might be hard for Nojel to share it with anybody I know it was for me Good luck and Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!

Hey treed, I know I made a racist joke last night but I’m so not racist I just don’t think anything of it. Like a Dave Chappell joke. I’m sure you’re a good lady and have a great family. I was just joking around and I think your boy is a good ball player. It’s just fun to troll you since your son is on the team and you’re on the message boards. I meant no harm. I’ll probably continue to troll you but know it’s all in good fun. I don’t really mean any if it when I’m not nice.
Sir it’s ok let’s move on from it we all make mistakes in life and we learn from it. Keep trolling it’s all good I’ll be ready to come back at ya LOl. In all seriousness it’s all in fun life is to short to take everything so serious I don’t. Take care and happy holidays.

Reactions: cropper412
I'm glad you took it that way! Tell you another thing,if people have never had this the don't have a clue on how bad it can mess you up! Like I've said I have it and I only play in an old guys league! Did a lot of research on anxiety and was really surprised at how many Pro athletes have it.You might want to check it out! It might be hard for Nojel to share it with anybody I know it was for me Good luck and Happy Holidays to you and your family!!!
While home well sit down if he’s willing to talk to me and open up we’ll start there and see what’s going on. Right now I need him home away from everything to clear his mind so he can relax and have fun being a 19 year old. He slowly I already see him being himself that’s a good sign. Again thanks for the advice much appreciated.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Sir it’s ok let’s move on from it we all make mistakes in life and we learn from it. Keep trolling it’s all good I’ll be ready to come back at ya LOl. In all seriousness it’s all in fun life is to short to take everything so serious I don’t. Take care and happy holidays.
You too my friend

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT