ADVERTISEMENT

USA East Coast Team with Morton and Newman

TX4GB

All-American
May 19, 2012
I haven’t seen a schedule yet but they will be paying tribute to the 1992 Dream Team in Barcelona. Head Coach is Alex Jensen, who is an assistant coach of the Utah Jazz.

This was in their program.

Ethan Morton
6-6 Jr. Guard Purdue
2022— Appeared in all 37 games as a sophomore for Purdue averaging 14.8 minutes off the bench. Was efficient from the floor shooting 47.7% from the field and 44.1% from 3-point range. Recorded 8 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 blocks helping his team secure a win in the round of 32 against Texas. Named to the Big Ten’s All-Academic Team.

Brandon Newman
6-5 Jr. Guard Purdue
2022— A marksman for the Boilermakers, Newman was one of just four freshman nationally to have at least 35 3-pointers, 20 steals, and 10 blocked shots. Was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week after pouring in 29 points again Minnesota, the fourth most of any freshman in Purdue history. In his sophomore season connected on five 3-pointers against Wright State.

Interesting, no B1G players other than ours, but there are Duke, Cuse, Pitt, and even two Providence guys. The one guy that REALLY surprises me is NYU. I don't even think NYU is a D1 school.

Reactions: pboiler18 and TX4GB
I haven’t seen a schedule yet but they will be paying tribute to the 1992 Dream Team in Barcelona. Head Coach is Alex Jensen, who is an assistant coach of the Utah Jazz.

Ethan Morton
6-6 Jr. Guard Purdue
2022— Appeared in all 37 games as a sophomore for Purdue averaging 14.8 minutes off the bench. Was efficient from the floor shooting 47.7% from the field and 44.1% from 3-point range. Recorded 8 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 blocks helping his team secure a win in the round of 32 against Texas. Named to the Big Ten’s All-Academic Team.

Brandon Newman
6-5 Jr. Guard Purdue
2022— A marksman for the Boilermakers, Newman was one of just four freshman nationally to have at least 35 3-pointers, 20 steals, and 10 blocked shots. Was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week after pouring in 29 points again Minnesota, the fourth most of any freshman in Purdue history. In his sophomore season connected on five 3-pointers against Wright State.

I have high hopes that this will be Morton's break out season. I thought he played tremendously well on D and was very opportunistic from the 3 point line down the stretch last year. I think we'll all be surprised by how well he plays this upcoming season.

I also think Newman will be back to his Freshman form. I can't imagine how anyone would cope with losing their father while going to school and dealing with a pandemic. He must be a tough young man...

Not really much of an "All Star" team. Only a couple of guys contributed at the D1 level. A guy named Hugley (14pts per game) from Pitt and a guy from Colorado (7 pts) seemed to be contributors on their teams, the rest of the guys either didn't play much or scored one or two points per game.

Based on reviewing the roster both Morton and Newman should get an opportunity to play and hopefully they'll get time to be exposed to a different culture.

This should be a good experience for both. This should build a bond between 2/3 of our potential 3 guard offense before they go to battle in the trenches of the B1G this year.
I agree. They are both more experienced then most of the other guards on the roster and I'd love for them to play in situations were they are counted to be focal points in the offense. It may help Newman get his confidence back and force Morton to step out of his supportive role.

Not really much of an "All Star" team. Only a couple of guys contributed at the D1 level. A guy named Hugley (14pts per game) from Pitt and a guy from Colorado (7 pts) seemed to be contributors on their teams, the rest of the guys either didn't play much or scored one or two points per game.

Based on reviewing the roster both Morton and Newman should get an opportunity to play and hopefully they'll get time to be exposed to a different culture.

IIRC, Hugely was an AAU teammate of Jaden Ivey and Caleb Furst.

I agree that the "All Star" is a bit overhyped, just like calling our NBA champ "World Champion" or baseball "World Series" is overblown. I think it should still be helpful to the players though. IIRC, Sasha and Wheeler went to it after their RS season, and they both contributed as RS freshmen. Obviously, we'll be expecting a lot more from Newman and Morton, who would be juniors next season. Gaining confidence is always nice.

Interesting, no B1G players other than ours, but there are Duke, Cuse, Pitt, and even two Providence guys. The one guy that REALLY surprises me is NYU. I don't even think NYU is a D1 school.
That is interesting ... as I grab a handle of Evan Williams to help me overanalyze this roster.

Reactions: Robinahood
It's painter's influence with USA basketball.
Painter seems to encourage his players to play on these types of teams. Other coaches may prefer to have their key guys around campus working out with their teammates. Anyway, it looks like anybody with D1 talent could have played on this team so it would be interesting to know how they came up with the roster. Given the talent level and the imbalance between positions it almost looks like it was the first 14 guys to sign up (just joking of course).

This team is quite a bit different than the FIBA U19 team Furst and Ivey played on. I don't know why but if you dig into the roster its pretty underwhelming. Most of the D1 guys scored 1 or 2 points per game and then you have 2 or 3 guys who played D3.

I think its a great opportunity for personal development regardless. Consistently getting guys on teams like this may help in the recruiting of certain guys. Something I'd probably want my kid to do just for the experience even if the basketball was just okay. .

Newman with 17 today.

I looked at the box scores of all 3 games. The competition most likely was not very good. Looks like USA played everyone in all 3 games. Newman I believe went for 13pts, 9pts, and the the 17pts today. I dont think anyone from USA played 20mins in any of the games.

Morton was pretty woeful in the scoring dept in all 3 games.

I don't think this was much of a tournament. Looks like it was played in the equivalent of a high school gym with just a few fans. Good to see Newman hitting some shots. A little disappointing to see Morton only scoring 7 points combined over the three games. Really small sample size but I was hoping to see something that would show us that Morton could be more of an offensive threat this year.

Doesn't really matter but I just found it interesting.

Last edited:
Newman with 17 today.

I looked at the box scores of all 3 games. The competition most likely was not very good. Looks like USA played everyone in all 3 games. Newman I believe went for 13pts, 9pts, and the the 17pts today. I dont think anyone from USA played 20mins in any of the games.

I don't think this was much of a tournament. Looks like it was played in the equivalent of a high school gym with just a few fans. Good to see Newman hitting some shots. A little disappointing to see Morton only scoring 7 points combined over the three games. Really small sample size but I was hoping to see something that would show us that Morton could be more of an offensive threat this year.

Doesn't really matter but I just found it interesting.

I have not seen complete box scores to see what the efficiency numbers look like. With that said, it is hard to imagine that Morton was getting significant shot volume and scoring 3 points on 1/6 shooting.
If he scored 7 points in 3 games, and also 10 assists and 13 rebounds with low turnovers, and the team was winning games by 30 points, then he probably did what was asked of him.

Newman with 17 today.

True but from what I saw from at least two of the box scores is that he led the team in assists....

Ethan Morton
6-6 Jr. Guard Purdue

Brandon Newman
6-5 Jr. Guard Purdue
Hopefully he’ll get more playing time in this USA event than last year riding the pine

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT