ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Self directly implicated in FBI case

The NCAA is not tring these crooks. The Feds are. The NCAA is hoping that the crooks get a pass or the Feds lock them up so that it is out of their hands.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
Color me shocked. No one is going to take this whole situation seriously until the NCAA gets some sack and hammers somebody. And it cannot be just somebody - it needs to be somebody that makes the NCAA money.
The FBI is already taking this seriously. They couldn’t care less what the NCAA thinks.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
The NCAA is thinking how can we not loose money
Somebody needs to explain to me how Kansas missing the NCAA for 3 years causes the tournament to have fewer viewers, or lose money. The TV contract $$$ is the same regardless of which schools play.

Take Duke, UNC, and Kansas out of the mix and there are still 68 schools and their alumni who will be riveted to the games. Many will see those schools absence as being a better chance for their schools to advance. I don't see this as a money issue at all.

In fact, if I were an admin at one of the other schools, like Purdue, I would be extremely tough on these cheaters. The NCAA governing body is made up of the member schools, most of whom don't cheat. I can see retribution coming.

The way to punish cheaters is to refuse to play them. If you are contracted to play them simply inform them that you are cancelling the game and schedule another team. Explain why in a press release. If you are in a conference with them call them out publicly and demand the conference take strong action.

Somebody needs to explain to me how Kansas missing the NCAA for 3 years causes the tournament to have fewer viewers, or lose money. The TV contract $$$ is the same regardless of which schools play.

Take Duke, UNC, and Kansas out of the mix and there are still 68 schools and their alumni who will be riveted to the games. Many will see those schools absence as being a better chance for their schools to advance. I don't see this as a money issue at all.

In fact, if I were an admin at one of the other schools, like Purdue, I would be extremely tough on these cheaters. The NCAA governing body is made up of the member schools, most of whom don't cheat. I can see retribution coming.

Advertising. You can be sure CBS and Turner Sports will be none to thrilled if the NCAA's biggest cash cows are exempt from the tournament. I believe Turner Sports pays the NCAA over a billion, yes a billion dollars a year for the media rights. Now while they are locked into a multi-year deal, it will still hurt Turner Sports ability to market games and if Turner Sports takes a huge tumble after paying over a billion dollar a years you better be sure the NCAA won't get the luxury to name their price when negotiating the next deal. Not saying it's right but there's next to a ZERO percent chance the NCAA is going to ban their cash cows from playing in the tournament for any kind of extended period of time. It's bad business.

And that money made from Turner Sports media deal gets redistributed back to the NCAA and the member schools (which Purdue is apart of) that fund scholarships and other programs for thousands of student athletes across the board. Trust me, the NCAA will suffer if teams like Duke, Kansas, and North Carolina miss the tournament for an extended period of time. If anything happens, it'll come back to the coach, not on the program. Bill Self will be given a show-cause penalty and not be allowed to coach before a program like Kansas is banned from the postseason for multiple seasons.

Last edited:
Color me shocked. No one is going to take this whole situation seriously until the NCAA gets some sack and hammers somebody. And it cannot be just somebody - it needs to be somebody that makes the NCAA money.
The NCAA isn't going to do anything until the FBI and the feds press charges (or don't). They might target specific players and negate their eligibility, but they aren't going to give punishments to schools until the legal stuff is done.

Advertising. You can be sure CBS and Turner Sports will be none to thrilled if the NCAA's biggest cash cows are exempt from the tournament. I believe Turner Sports pays the NCAA over a billion, yes a billion dollars a year for the media rights. Now while they are locked into a multi-year deal, it will still hurt Turner Sports ability to market games and if Turner Sports takes a huge tumble after paying over a billion dollar a years you better be sure the NCAA won't get the luxury to name their price when negotiating the next deal. Not saying it's right but there's next to a ZERO percent chance the NCAA is going to ban their cash cows from playing in the tournament for any kind of extended period of time. It's bad business.

And that money made from Turner Sports media deal gets redistributed back to the NCAA and the member schools (which Purdue is apart of) that fund scholarships and other programs for thousands of student athletes across the board. Trust me, the NCAA will suffer if teams like Duke, Kansas, and North Carolina miss the tournament for an extended period of time. If anything happens, it'll come back to the coach, not on the program. Bill Self will be given a show-cause penalty and not be allowed to coach before a program like Kansas is banned from the postseason for multiple seasons.
First, thanks for replying with a pretty good perspective on this issue. No sarcasm!

I still troubled by the missing schools mean missing dollars issue. If the public/basketball fans understand that these schools cheated and are therefore not going to play in the tournament, why would advertising fall? Are not the fans excited to see good basketball regardless of who plays it? Loyola, Gonzaga and all the other Cinderella teams generate a terrific buzz.

Next year there may be more Cinderellas than ever. Most advertisers can made a silk purse out of a sow's ear without breaking a sweat. I still think (my opinion) that nobody but the Kansas fans will miss Kansas. Maybe most fans are tired of seeing the same 4-5 cheaters in the FF, especially if they are not alums of the schools. Time for some fresh blood.

First, thanks for replying with a pretty good perspective on this issue. No sarcasm!

I still troubled by the missing schools mean missing dollars issue. If the public/basketball fans understand that these schools cheated and are therefore not going to play in the tournament, why would advertising fall? Are not the fans excited to see good basketball regardless of who plays it? Loyola, Gonzaga and all the other Cinderella teams generate a terrific buzz.

Next year there may be more Cinderellas than ever. Most advertisers can made a silk purse out of a sow's ear without breaking a sweat. I still think (my opinion) that nobody but the Kansas fans will miss Kansas. Maybe most fans are tired of seeing the same 4-5 cheaters in the FF, especially if they are not alums of the schools. Time for some fresh blood.

The Blue Bloods of cbball are no different than the Yankees, the Cowboys, the Lakers of the world. They are always the highest rated and most viewed games but their respective fan bases all travel well. You ever been in the same city where Kansas, UK, UNC, or Duke are playing in the tournament? It’s almost like you’re in Lexington or Chapel Hill or Lawrence. Look at the ratings of last years national title game and then compare it to the 3 prior when Duke and North Carolina x2 played in them. It’s a night and day difference. It’s that blue blood factor. Loyola and Gonzaga certainly generate a buzz and make for a feel good story, but they don’t produce ratings or sell tickets which is what the NCAA and host cities want.

Say you owned a a restaurant in downtown Indy and in a year where Indy hosted a F4, what teams/fanbases would you prefer to be in town? Kansas and Kentucky or Gonzaga and Loyola. Now as a basketball fan you may prefer the latter, but as a business man you’re dying for the former. Remember, the NCAA is a business, even though they tell you it’s for the kids. They will always be looking out for their best interest and they know not to bite the hand that feeds them. Just my .02 cents.

BAB is right. Just look where our B1G bread is buttered. It's all OSU and Mich, the rest of us are merely fodder for the beast.

Can I say I hate that I agreed with BAB

The Blue Bloods of cbball are no different than the Yankees, the Cowboys, the Lakers of the world. They are always the highest rated and most viewed games but their respective fan bases all travel well. You ever been in the same city where Kansas, UK, UNC, or Duke are playing in the tournament? It’s almost like you’re in Lexington or Chapel Hill or Lawrence. Look at the ratings of last years national title game and then compare it to the 3 prior when Duke and North Carolina x2 played in them. It’s a night and day difference. It’s that blue blood factor. Loyola and Gonzaga certainly generate a buzz and make for a feel good story, but they don’t produce ratings or sell tickets which is what the NCAA and host cities want.

Say you owned a a restaurant in downtown Indy and in a year where Indy hosted a F4, what teams/fanbases would you prefer to be in town? Kansas and Kentucky or Gonzaga and Loyola. Now as a basketball fan you may prefer the latter, but as a business man you’re dying for the former. Remember, the NCAA is a business, even though they tell you it’s for the kids. They will always be looking out for their best interest and they know not to bite the hand that feeds them. Just my .02 cents.

The Yankees have their fan base because they pay their players the most to bring in the best. Coincidentally, those top teams do the same.

The NCAA likes having the same teams every year. True fans don’t. Especially when it is by cheating and paying players. The NCAA would find support if they axed all the top coaches that are cheating. Keep in mind, they are only winning because they are cheating. Even up the compition and you will find a lot of other coaches will rise in their place.

How do we stop it? Well we can’t. We could get their attention by not watching. The NFL took a 10% hit and a huge hit in ticket sales/merch. Would the NCAA be willing to endure the same to protect the slime ball coaches that ruin the spirit of the game?

First of all, the Final Four is a sellout long before anyone knows the teams in it. So whether or not a "blue-blood" is in it has nothing to do with those ticket sales. Many fans of FF teams would like to attend but cannot get tickets from their school's allotment.

The issue of empty seats is really in the first weekend. That is why they went yo the pod system to favor high ranked teams, but not #1s, by genography. Many fans did not want to travel cross-country for a game against a team likely to be a blowout.

People loven Cinderellas. I am with mathboy. Ban the cheaters and Cinderella probability increases. TV ratings wbould be fine.

People loven Cinderellas. I am with mathboy. Ban the cheaters and Cinderella probability increases. TV ratings wbould be fine.

I also agree. Most people start paying attention to college basketball in March. As a season long (even year long) fan of college bball, this irks me. But it proves that programs like Kansas and UNC aren't driving interest. The tourney format is.

First of all, the Final Four is a sellout long before anyone knows the teams in it. So whether or not a "blue-blood" is in it has nothing to do with those ticket sales. Many fans of FF teams would like to attend but cannot get tickets from their school's allotment.

The issue of empty seats is really in the first weekend. That is why they went yo the pod system to favor high ranked teams, but not #1s, by genography. Many fans did not want to travel cross-country for a game against a team likely to be a blowout.

But can you really have David versus Goliath when you kill all the Goliaths?

No one’s going to get excited about Weber State upsetting Boston College or Minnesota...

Except they aren't. Look at the F4 ratings last year compared to years where there are teams with a blue-blood(s) in them. Last years Final ratings were some of the worst of all time. Turner Sports doesn't care about the attendance of the people at the actual game. They care about ratings and viewers and how they can market games. Yes Loyola was a feel good story, but it doesn't draw near the viewers as it would if someone like Duke or Kansas were playing.

The Brewers are the feel good story of MLB this year. But you're crazy if you don't think the MLB and all the media corporations who pay for TV ratings aren't praying it's a Dodger/Red Sox World Series. Those two are some of the biggest media markets in baseball.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/ncaa-final-four-ratings-history-most-watched-games-cbs-tbs-nbc/

Just look at the ratings on average when blue-bloods are in the F4 and/or national championship and compare them to when they aren't. Villanova is everything that is right with college basketball, yet ratings for whenever Villanova plays are some of the lowest in F4 history. And it's because it's a small school without a huge enrollment base. Nobody really cares about Villanova outside the Philly area.

Last edited:
Except they aren't. Look at the F4 ratings last year compared to years where there are teams with a blue-blood(s) in them. Last years Final ratings were some of the worst of all time. Turner Sports doesn't care about the attendance of the people at the actual game. They care about ratings and viewers and how they can market games. Yes Loyola was a feel good story, but it doesn't draw near the viewers as it would if someone like Duke or Kansas were playing.

The Brewers are the feel good story of MLB this year. But you're crazy if you don't think the MLB and all the media corporations who pay for TV ratings aren't praying it's a Dodger/Red Sox World Series. Those two are some of the biggest media markets in baseball.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/ncaa-final-four-ratings-history-most-watched-games-cbs-tbs-nbc/

Just look at the ratings on average when blue-bloods are in the F4 and/or national championship and compare them to when they aren't. Villanova is everything that is right with college basketball, yet ratings for whenever Villanova plays are some of the lowest in F4 history. And it's because it's a small school without a huge enrollment base. Nobody really cares about Villanova outside the Philly area.

And to further my point, the E8 game between Duke and Kansas matched the rating of the national championship (9.2) and had almost identical viewers (15.9m to 15.4). Duke-Kansas was the highest rated E8 game since 2005. While Cinderella's are nice and refreshing story lines, they don't necessarily resonate with the casual basketball fan (which is Turner Sports goal) and ratings and viewership prove that.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03/elite-eight-ratings-kansas-duke-viewership/

And to further my point, the E8 game between Duke and Kansas matched the rating of the national championship (9.2) and had almost identical viewers (15.9m to 15.4). Duke-Kansas was the highest rated E8 game since 2005. While Cinderella's are nice and refreshing story lines, they don't necessarily resonate with the casual basketball fan (which is Turner Sports goal) and ratings and viewership prove that.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/03/elite-eight-ratings-kansas-duke-viewership/
So what you are saying is the general public tolerates cheaters for the love of entertainment.
So did the blue bloods become blue bloods by cheating?
Should everyone thus cheat?
The NCAA has to take a hit here regardless. The cheaters should be eliminated from any NCAA distribution for ten years.
If the cheaters can afford to pay a player $500,000 they don't need the NCAA money. Give their share to UNC Ashville.
The cheating has to stop or it will get even further out of control.

So what you are saying is the general public tolerates cheaters for the love of entertainment.
The NCAA has to take a hit here regardless. The cheaters should be eliminated from any NCAA distribution for ten years.
If the cheaters can afford to pay a player $500,000 they don't need the NCAA money. Give their share to UNC Ashville.

In a way yes. NCAA athletics is a business first and foremost regardless and will continue to be treated as such. People want to watch Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc....they don't want to watch Loyola, Weber State, and IPFW. I'm simply saying don't hold your breath waiting for the NCAA to do something. If anything, you will see the NCAA change their rules that what today may constitute cheating no longer be. I think we're very close to seeing the NCAA allow players to be represented by agents.

Reactions: ChuckJr
If you want to really know how corporate media treats its blue bloods verses the also rams, follow the media coverage of the Milwaukee Brewers verses the Red Sox. The Brewers against the Dodgers is on FS1 rather than FOX or other major network. There was a Brewers / Rockies playoff game that wasn't even televised.

In a way yes. NCAA athletics is a business first and foremost regardless and will continue to be treated as such. People want to watch Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc....they don't want to watch Loyola, Weber State, and IPFW. I'm simply saying don't hold your breath waiting for the NCAA to do something. If anything, you will see the NCAA change their rules that what today may constitute cheating no longer be. I think we're very close to seeing the NCAA allow players to be represented by agents.
agree with this & earlier posts.
if they punish & eliminate the top teams/blue bloods , they will suffer short term $ loss, but more importantly long term. they could lose generations of support/branding/$. hence the long running jokes that the ncaa punishes the small schools more than the big time programs.

the other issue: the same entity(ncaa) creates the rules and enforces the rules. and for bball, they collect and distribute $. fans, media, even coaches have voiced concern over cheating for years/decades - but no change. until teams stop playing other teams (e.g. purdue refusing to play arizona), or fans stop showing up/tuning in (e.g. an empty arena for purdue vs louisville), the ncaa will not be incentivized to change course. and until a change, those protests just immediately hurt the teams their intended to help.

I think with the eventual final conference realignments, the power conferences could brush the ncaa aside completely - regulate themselves and keep all the money, like they already do with big $ football.

Last edited:
agree with this & earlier posts.
hence the long running jokes that the ncaa punishes the small schools more than the big time programs. if they eliminate the top teams/blue bloods , they will suffer short term $ loss, but more importantly long term. they could lose generations of following/support/$, which would have a large long lasting impact.

the other issue: the same entity/ncaa creates the rules and enforces the rules. and for bball, they collect and distribute $ too. fans, media, even coaches have voiced concern over cheating for years-decades. until teams stop playing other teams (e.g. purdue refusing to play arizona), or fans stop showing up/tuning in (e.g. an empty Mackey arena vs louisville), the ncaa will not be incentivized to change course. and until a change, those protests just immediately hurt the teams their intended to help.

I think with the eventual final conference realignments, the power conferences could brush the ncaa aside completely - regulate themselves and keep all the money, like they already do with big $ football.

Yep and I believe it was you who in another post brought up what you're advocating in the last paragraph. It's very good point. The NCAA needs the P5 schools more than the P5 schools need the NCAA. The P5 schools fund everything else. Start punishing the cash cows and they will take their ball and leave and that is a move that would severely cripple the NCAA. You may think watching Loyola and Weber State is a fun story line, but those teams aren't going to be funding the rest of the collegiate athletics.

I don't think the blue bloods necessarily became blue bloods by cheating. It is more likely that certain programs were historically good (as in good in the past), built a fan base and now in order to keep up with that fan base's expectations, they may feel the need to do whatever it takes to win. It's mostly that they have built a brand.

Kentucky gets mentioned a lot here. The teams that Rupp had were very good for their time and developed a fan base that is basically the entire state of Kentucky (outside of Louisville). There's no professional teams from any of the major leagues in Kentucky so the Big Blue Nation grows each generation because UK is basically their NBA franchise and their fans demand results.

It took Duke years to break through, but once Laettner's teams won back to back titles, they established the Duke brand (with a lot of help from ESPN and the Coach K worship) and now are perennial contenders.

It happens in every sport, I think. There are just certain teams/franchises/programs that get set apart for some reason or another. Just look at the NFL, basically half (25) of all the Super Bowls (51) have been won by only 5 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT