ADVERTISEMENT

biggest concerns

Just mho, but in this offense it’s more about what sets are run for whom and when than who brings the ball up the court. If Carsen shows that he can draw a double team and create for others on iso plays and draw the defense in with dribble penetration and then kick out or dish off he’ll have shown scouts what they’re looking for. Same story for Nojel, although he’s already shown glimpses of being able to drive and dish, he needs to be able keep defenses honest by hitting jumpers.
yes, I agree it is not who is assigned pg, but how well Carsen can make others better, run the team and show leadership. He has always wanted the ball in crunch time and I expect that to continue.

Right, I get that. But isn't that basically the role that Carsen was in last year too? And he did that well. He took guys off the dribble in iso, got into the lane, scored and kicked out to shooters. The NBA scouts still wanted to see more in terms of point guard skills. If he is going to show more of a traditional point guard side to his game, the dynamic with he and Eastern both wanting and deserving minutes at the PG spot will be interesting.

I’d argue that 1) he didn’t show a lot of kick outs or dump offs last year, if he was going to the hole he was generally going to shoot it and 2) there weren’t a lot of sets run for him to try to draw extra defenders and have the opportunity to drop it off or kick it out.

I think you can successfully argue that he and Nojel will be competing for the same set plays this year, but there should be many opportunities if, as expected, not as much of the offense goes through the post.

Last edited:
Reactions: neckster87
Shooting in general. Whether that's 3pt shooting or FT shooting.

Edwards and Cline are really the only proven FT and 3PT shooters, aren't they? The team needs Haarms to be able to shoot effectively out to 3PT range and Eastern and Hunter to be respectable from both areas.

My fear is they won't have a strong enough inside game to open up the outside shot. I'm hopeful the athleticism of Eastern, Edwards, and Wheeler will keep defenders honest and make up for the lack of inside power play.

Reactions: Schnelk
Do Boudreaux, Williams, or Dowuona possess a strong post-up game? I know Haarms is a work-in-progress.

Do Boudreaux, Williams, or Dowuona possess a strong post-up game? I know Haarms is a work-in-progress.

Williams absolutely did in high school, question is is how well it will transfer. Same with EB, showed some post moves against Ivy League competition, not sure how it holds up against longer, more athletic competition. Haven’t seen much post tape on Dow.

Last edited:
Inexperienced players...
N too many guys interested in I n numbers vs team w's!
A ton of talent keeping them engaged in the team is key for the coaching staff this year!
Could be another 30 w team
But could also struggle to win 18 games!

Edwards and Cline are really the only proven FT and 3PT shooters, aren't they? The team needs Haarms to be able to shoot effectively out to 3PT range and Eastern and Hunter to be respectable from both areas.

Boudreaux also qualifies as a proven FT and 3PT shooter. If Haarms and Eastern shoot 35% or better from 3 it will be an interesting season. I don’t think they need to be able to do that for this team to be good, they each just need to be a credible threat from 15 feet and in to keep defenders from sagging too much.

I don’t know that this team ‘needs’ Hunter to do anything. If he can give 10 minutes a game playing good defense and not turning the ball over it’s a win.

Inexperienced players...
N too many guys interested in I n numbers vs team w's!
A ton of talent keeping them engaged in the team is key for the coaching staff this year!
Could be another 30 w team
But could also struggle to win 18 games!

There's some talent but I don't know if I'd say there's a ton of talent. I think it's mostly 3 star guys with a few 4 star guys.

My concern is that our 3-stars will not be aggressive enough and will look like, well, 3-star players. No diamonds in the rough. I hope they don’t look to Carsen each time down the court. I think Painter will put in sets to keep everyone engaged. I just hope one of Wheeler, Hunter, Williams, or Dow makes me yell “Holy Spit! Where did that guy come from! Can we get more from that place?”.

Even though Wheeler did not look all that great over in Italy, he still showed the ability to put the ball on the floor and get by his defender. I am hoping by the time he gets a few games under his belt playing team ball (not the case with the USA team) he will start to figure out what he can and can't do. But a fear is that he is not as advanced as I think he is.

My biggest concern is that all of the freshmen won't be ready to provide significant minutes by the time conference games start. If they can't, our depth is nowhere near sufficient to sustain foul trouble or stamina issues from the starters.

I am also concerned that the offense will be 4 guys watching Carsen or 4 guys only trying to pass to Carsen.

Conference games start December 1....

Reactions: nagemj02
Not sure why every one think running and gunning is the best idea for this team simply because there are better overall athletes on the roster. It doesn't mean a thing if running up and down doesn't get you a high quality shot that allows you to recover on defense in the event of a miss or TO. The reason Purdue's offense has been so good as of late is because CMP's offense places an incredibly high value on the type of shot and not when it comes in the shot clock. In Boogie's freshman year, that was the reason he sat frequently. CMP would frequently tell him something along the lines of, 'You can get that shot any time in the clock...be patient and pass up a good shot for a great shot, even for a teammate.' You saw this many times with Dakota who could have shot a three pointer but passed the ball back for a reversal knowing there was a good chance the ball would come back to him for the chance of a great shot.

Also, in theory our defense should be our strength. That means keeping teams low scoring. Giving them more possessions by going "run and gun" is typically not the best way to capitalize on having a good defense.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
My concern is that some on this fanbase won't handle losing a game as good as they should.

We are going to be good this season but may not reach as many wins as last season, so folks need to manage their emotions.

Edit: Notice I said EMOTIONS not EXPECTATIONS. Two very different things.

Last edited:
My concern is that some on this fanbase won't handle losing a game as good as they should.

We are going to be good this season but may not reach as many wins as last season, so folks need to manage their emotions.

Edit: Notice I said EMOTIONS not EXPECTATIONS. Two very different things.

I don't think there's a difference in this situation. Preseason rankings are certainly not always 100% right. Sometimes you outperform, sometimes you underperform. But for the most part - they aren't that far off. There's obviously unknowns involved - injuries, new players, etc. And sometimes it is just a stumper - look at Northwestern last year.

The people who are going INTO this season expecting to be competing for a Big Ten championship - that's not managing emotions, that's just not having realistic expectations. It's one thing for us to start off really well and have a solid November/December THEN you form an expectation that hey we can win the conference. But to take a team with, by all measurable standards, little experience and form expectations far and above what most non biased sources think - that's needing to manage emotions AND expectations. People use "managing expectations" as some negative thing - but there's also a reality involved. When you lose 4 players who were essentially 4 year starters - this IS a rebuilding year on paper. Doesn't mean it has to be bad - I certainly think this team has potential and should get better and better throughout, but I also am not going into the season dead set on anything to where I'm going to be upset with Painter, etc. The people who do this typically have a preconceived opinion...

Conference games start December 1....

I didn't realize that we were getting 2 early conference games again this year, but with the 20 game schedule I guess it's inevitable. Obviously what I meant was "by the time of the traditional start of conference games."

Biggest concern is players who can shoot in practice and not deliver in games. Hope this team develops like we see Michigan typically develop and get better as the season goes on

Reactions: Roeder and nagemj02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT