ADVERTISEMENT

biggest concerns

Injury: we have seen it before. A key injury (heaven forbid) to Carsen, Haarms, or Eastern could have severe effect upon how well Purdue does this upcoming year. Let us hope that nobody gets hurt. Remember RH?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
Injury: we have seen it before. A key injury (heaven forbid) to Carsen, Haarms, or Eastern could have severe effect upon how well Purdue does this upcoming year. Let us hope that nobody gets hurt. Remember RH?
Oh boy. Now you’ve done it..

Not trying to turn this thread around. We do have the best returning scorer in the B1G. I still think the concern is for other teams trying to stop him.

We know we have at least 3 defenders in Nojel, Matty and Carsen, so I am not that concerned with defense being a weakness. We all know, they will defend or sit.

This would leave my main concern as a team that gels and trusts each other. The athleticism is something we may have never seen as a whole this season. Can the guys share the wealth and chose to win as a team? Can the athletes also play smart and not make silly mistakes? Turnovers a couple of years ago were killers in several big games. We can’t give away points on the offensive end.

Looking forward to seeing what Matt does with this team. I think they overachieve and possibly set us up for a phenomenal 2020 season if all players return.

Ce needs to be the facilitator for teammates...8+ assist! I expect more def rb leading to fast breaks!
Ebx, wheeler haarms n eastern can n will be contributing scorers, all consistently in double figures! With cline, Williams n Hunter scoring in double figures occasionally,
Gonna be a great year...better than most people on here think!

Not being available when my buddy gets the third row gold seats.:cool:

Everything else will be great.

Ce needs to be the facilitator for teammates...8+ assist! I expect more def rb leading to fast breaks!
Ebx, wheeler haarms n eastern can n will be contributing scorers, all consistently in double figures! With cline, Williams n Hunter scoring in double figures occasionally,

There was only one player in the country with 8+ assists per game last year, it was Trae Young. I think that's a mighty lofty goal. I would imagine Carsen averages about 4 assists, since Eastern will be getting his too.

I am curious though....the feedback that Carsen got at the NBA combine was that he needs to show he can lead a team and be the point guard. So...is he going to be the point guard, or is it Eastern? Are both kind of point guards, sharing the role on the court at the same time? Who will usually run the offense, who brings the ball up most of the time? Will Eastern be OK with Carsen taking a majority of that role because the NBA wants to see it? Just a few questions I have.

Reactions: nagemj02
Concerns for me would be minimal, just because I think we will have a more athletic team this yr, that can get up and down the court better. I hate saying this as the graduating class of 2018 will forever be one of my favorite classes, but I think we get a bit better in some areas.The senior leadership is what we will miss the most, but I see good things coming from this team, JMO.

Reactions: Gary Boiler

I'm totally on board with thinking we will better than most think. I heard some things Painter likes about this team and I think we will be ok. Time will tell.

Concern #1: Gelling of new players with only a few established players on the roster (Carsen and Cline). This will be a young team and the quicker they can gel, the quicker they'll be able to succeed at the high level we know they can. There is a lot of talent on this team but what made Purdue so good the last two years was having a number of players who understood what the others were going to do prior to them doing it. If you think back to when the seniors last year were freshman, we saw lots of errant passes and TO's...that was nearly done away by the time they were juniors.

I'm hoping for a faster paced game with a positive team assist to turnover ratio. And rebounding. Always rebounding.

Hopefully Michigan is worse this year because I don't want anymore shoot-outs with them. It wasn't good on my heart.

Rebounding. Last year it was a weak point, and we lost our best 3 rebounders. I don't really see Haarms getting a bunch of boards. Hopefully Eastern still attacks the glass, but really, that's one reason I think Williams can get some quality minutes.

I also have concerns about 3FG. The last few years our team has been built around dominant centers and lots of shooting options on the outside. Now we only have 2 proven shooters, so somebody needs to step up there as well.

My biggest concern is that I'm going to hear, "Move, Move, Move, Move, Move......", in my sleep after each game.....last year's team got it, hope this year's team will as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
Rebounding. Last year it was a weak point, and we lost our best 3 rebounders. I don't really see Haarms getting a bunch of boards. Hopefully Eastern still attacks the glass, but really, that's one reason I think Williams can get some quality minutes.

I also have concerns about 3FG. The last few years our team has been built around dominant centers and lots of shooting options on the outside. Now we only have 2 proven shooters, so somebody needs to step up there as well.
EB is going to help on the boards!

I will not be surprised at all if Eastern leads the team in rebounds this year. In fact, I almost expect it.

My biggest concern is that all of the freshmen won't be ready to provide significant minutes by the time conference games start. If they can't, our depth is nowhere near sufficient to sustain foul trouble or stamina issues from the starters.

I am also concerned that the offense will be 4 guys watching Carsen or 4 guys only trying to pass to Carsen.

There was only one player in the country with 8+ assists per game last year, it was Trae Young. I think that's a mighty lofty goal. I would imagine Carsen averages about 4 assists, since Eastern will be getting his too.

I am curious though....the feedback that Carsen got at the NBA combine was that he needs to show he can lead a team and be the point guard. So...is he going to be the point guard, or is it Eastern? Are both kind of point guards, sharing the role on the court at the same time? Who will usually run the offense, who brings the ball up most of the time? Will Eastern be OK with Carsen taking a majority of that role because the NBA wants to see it? Just a few questions I have.

Just mho, but in this offense it’s more about what sets are run for whom and when than who brings the ball up the court. If Carsen shows that he can draw a double team and create for others on iso plays and draw the defense in with dribble penetration and then kick out or dish off he’ll have shown scouts what they’re looking for. Same story for Nojel, although he’s already shown glimpses of being able to drive and dish, he needs to be able keep defenses honest by hitting jumpers.

Just mho, but in this offense it’s more about what sets are run for whom and when than who brings the ball up the court. If Carsen shows that he can draw a double team and create for others on iso plays and draw the defense in with dribble penetration and then kick out or dish off he’ll have shown scouts what they’re looking for. Same story for Nojel, although he’s already shown glimpses of being able to drive and dish, he needs to be able keep defenses honest by hitting jumpers.

Right, I get that. But isn't that basically the role that Carsen was in last year too? And he did that well. He took guys off the dribble in iso, got into the lane, scored and kicked out to shooters. The NBA scouts still wanted to see more in terms of point guard skills. If he is going to show more of a traditional point guard side to his game, the dynamic with he and Eastern both wanting and deserving minutes at the PG spot will be interesting.

If I were you guys I would be quite (most?) concerned about Edwards wearing down as the season progresses.

The kid is strong, but he has played a TON of competitive basketball in the past year. With him as the focal point of the offense and likely the player who will guard the other team's point on defense, all while playing 30+ minutes per game?

That is a lot of sustained physical and mental effort for an extended period of months.

Not sure why every one think running and gunning is the best idea for this team simply because there are better overall athletes on the roster. It doesn't mean a thing if running up and down doesn't get you a high quality shot that allows you to recover on defense in the event of a miss or TO. The reason Purdue's offense has been so good as of late is because CMP's offense places an incredibly high value on the type of shot and not when it comes in the shot clock. In Boogie's freshman year, that was the reason he sat frequently. CMP would frequently tell him something along the lines of, 'You can get that shot any time in the clock...be patient and pass up a good shot for a great shot, even for a teammate.' You saw this many times with Dakota who could have shot a three pointer but passed the ball back for a reversal knowing there was a good chance the ball would come back to him for the chance of a great shot.

Reactions: BoilerIron
I'm worried that Carsen will be the focus of the other team's defense and will have difficulty scoring as much as last year. We need 3 point shooters, and other scorers in general, to spread things out and keep them honest.

We might have it with Cline and Evan and Sasha and Wheeler, but we'll have to see. And maybe even Haarms will shoot better from outside this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT