ADVERTISEMENT

Best NFL Player all time from Purdue

Lee3370

True Freshman
Dec 24, 2009
I know many think Brees is the easy answer, but i really think Rod Woodson has a strong case for best all around corner of all time and still have him slightly ahead of Brees. Its close, and some would give it to Brees because he starred at a premium position, but I feel Woodson is higher up the position rank.

And how crazy is it there are 3 DB's named Woodson who are hall of fame level, 2 in the hall, and a 3rd on the ballet and should be in some day and none are related? lol

Reactions: DAG10 and Riveting
I know many think Brees is the easy answer, but i really think Rod Woodson has a strong case for best all around corner of all time and still have him slightly ahead of Brees. Its close, and some would give it to Brees because he starred at a premium position, but I feel Woodson is higher up the position rank.

And how crazy is it there are 3 DB's named Woodson who are hall of fame level, 2 in the hall, and a 3rd on the ballet and should be in some day and none are related? lol
Brees and Griese will always be considered the best pro players Purdue has since each has won a Superbowl as QB. I'd put Brees ahead of Griese due to the record books. But if Griese would have played in a more pass oriented era, I'd put him ahead of Brees due to his 2 Superbowl wins with the Dolphins.

Woodson isn't far behind these two. Then obviously Alstott.

Brees and Griese will always be considered the best pro players Purdue has since each has won a Superbowl as QB. I'd put Brees ahead of Griese due to the record books. But if Griese would have played in a more pass oriented era, I'd put him ahead of Brees due to his 2 Superbowl wins with the Dolphins.

Ironically Alstott was probably my favorite player ever at Purdue and I knew Brees, but Alstott was there while I was in college. Loved watching him play, only thing we had to root for on Saturdays during the era, lol (I met Alstott briefly twice, but didnt know him personally at all)

Let's not forget Len Dawson, and those KC teams

Agree, and keep in mind that corner is the hardest position to play in the NFL.

Moreoever, Rod Woodson is the greatest player in the history of the Steelers, imo.

I’m a big believer that if the rules and officiating hadn’t changed, brees would be very good, but not the level of QB to be considered better than Woodson as a player. Rod Woodson wouldn’t need anything to change.. he’d be equally great in any era

I love 'em all, but it kind of has to be Woodson.

Didn't he make the all 20th century team or something like that. Shutdown corner who after being injured became an all-pro safety if I remember correctly.

And, unlike Deon Sanders, he would come up and hit you in the mouth.

Yeah, I gotta pick Rod.

Agree, and keep in mind that corner is the hardest position to play in the NFL.

Moreoever, Rod Woodson is the greatest player in the history of the Steelers, imo.

Tall take, as a Browns fan, i would argue there is no such thing as a great Steeler, lol...kidding

QB is the hardest position to play, but corner is right there after. I might go Joe Green and Lambert before Woodson, maybe even ham. Super Bowls, fact that those 3 played their entire careers in Pittsburg. But that is a different debate. Woodson is probably the greatest player to ever play for the Steelers, but that is like saying Wilt and Lebron are better Lakers than Koby because they were better players, but neither played their entire careers there.

Its a tough argument, but you have some merit for sure to the debate as Rod as the greatest Steeler, just biased to careers and linebacker as a former linebacker, lol.

Tall take, as a Browns fan, i would argue there is no such thing as a great Steeler, lol...kidding

QB is the hardest position to play, but corner is right there after. I might go Joe Green and Lambert before Woodson, maybe even ham. Super Bowls, fact that those 3 played their entire careers in Pittsburg. But that is a different debate. Woodson is probably the greatest player to ever play for the Steelers, but that is like saying Wilt and Lebron are better Lakers than Koby because they were better players, but neither played their entire careers there.

Its a tough argument, but you have some merit for sure to the debate as Rod as the greatest Steeler, just biased to careers and linebacker as a former linebacker, lol.
If QB were the hardest position, you would not see guys playing effectively into their late 30s. Keep in mind, QBs know the play before the ball is snapped.

CBs, in contrast, have to anticipate and keep up with receivers, who in the NFL are among the best athletes in the world. Those receivers, of course, also know the play before the ball is snapped, which is a tremendous advantage over CBs.

I am not seriously suggesting that Cecil Isbell is the best NFL player from Purdue, but he did win an NFL championship with the Packers and is the only Purdue QB named to an all-decade team(30's).
Why am I even mentioning someone who played 85 years ago? My dad, who passed away this year, grew up going to U of C games. He always talked about Isbell being one of his favorite opposing players to watch.

Reactions: Abugabby
I am not seriously suggesting that Cecil Isbell is the best NFL player from Purdue, but he did win an NFL championship with the Packers and is the only Purdue QB named to an all-decade team(30's).
Why am I even mentioning someone who played 85 years ago? My dad, who passed away this year, grew up going to U of C games. He always talked about Isbell being one of his favorite opposing players to watch.
Thanks.I have read that Cecil retired at a young age from the NFL and if he would have played for a long time,he would probably be remembered as one of the all time greats from his era,along with Sammy Baugh and Sid Luckman.

Reactions: Boiler8285

Slyman’s > primanti bros

Primanti Bros SUCKS. Went to the one at Hamilton Town Center a couple years ago. Nothing special food-wise, service meh, atmosphere blah.
Mostly their cole slaw has a vinegar taste that is way too much … it’s the equivalent of someone making you drink a bottle of malt vinegar then giving you one bite of fried fish

Drew Brees was recognized on Thanksgiving night as the greatest Saint ever. Rod Woodson never even got his Steeler number retired.

Brees reset every career record for passing in NFL history -- touchdowns, yards, completion percentage, completions, attempts -- plus dozens of others, and he did so in less time than the hype creatures whose butts get kissed at every turn.

The dozen 5,000-yard seasons in NFL history say it all:
1. Peyton Manning (2013) (with the NFL counting an 11-yard lateral) 5,477
2. Drew Brees (2011) 5,476
3. Tom Brady (2011) 5,235
4. Drew Brees (2016) 5,208
5. Drew Brees (2012) 5,177
6. Drew Brees (2014) 5,162
7. Ben Roethlisberger (2018) 5,129
8. Jameis Winston (2019) 5,109
9. Patrick Mahomes (2018) 5,097
10. Dan Marino (1984) 5,084
11. Drew Brees (2008) 5,069
12. Matthew Stafford (2011) 5,038

Brees would still be playing and owning those records if his line didn’t force him to throw touchdown passes with 14 broken ribs and a punctured lung.

Drew Brees was recognized on Thanksgiving night as the greatest Saint ever. Rod Woodson never even got his Steeler number retired.

Brees reset every career record for passing in NFL history -- touchdowns, yards, completion percentage, completions, attempts -- plus dozens of others, and he did so in less time than the hype creatures whose butts get kissed at every turn.

The dozen 5,000-yard seasons in NFL history say it all:
1. Peyton Manning (2013) (with the NFL counting an 11-yard lateral) 5,477
2. Drew Brees (2011) 5,476
3. Tom Brady (2011) 5,235
4. Drew Brees (2016) 5,208
5. Drew Brees (2012) 5,177
6. Drew Brees (2014) 5,162
7. Ben Roethlisberger (2018) 5,129
8. Jameis Winston (2019) 5,109
9. Patrick Mahomes (2018) 5,097
10. Dan Marino (1984) 5,084
11. Drew Brees (2008) 5,069
12. Matthew Stafford (2011) 5,038

Brees would still be playing and owning those records if his line didn’t force him to throw touchdown passes with 14 broken ribs and a punctured lung.
Greatest Saint...is that like being named tallest dwarf?

Maybe not the best of all time, but I'm not letting this thread die without mentioning Keena Turner. That dude was awesome.

IMHO - an unsung hero on several underrated 49'er defenses in the '80s. IIRC, for a good chunk of Super Bowl XIX against the Dolphins, he was the only LB in for a 4-1-6 package.

Reactions: Mr_Scott
It’s close, but I’m going with Woodson. He was a freak of nature. Who plays DB in the NFL for 17 years? Woodson, that’s who. Not to mention he was a world class hurdler also. I remember watching a game in his last or second to last season and the analyst said that even though Woodson had lost a couple of steps, he was still faster and better than 75% of the DBs in the league. Below is a link that will help you know Rod Woodson.

https:/youtu.be/1RVTFVlOVdc

Last edited:
Reactions: Riveting
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT