ADVERTISEMENT

Berg on Utah State visit tonight

The atmosphere will be insane on Friday! #1 ranking within reach. Cliz being remembered. Home conference opener. Most hated rival.

I have a hard time imagining that he doesn’t choose Purdue.

Agree with all this. If kid is really looking for a program to grow himself, hard to imagine he goes elsewhere when he has a chance to play for Purdue and CMP in the best basketball conference in the country.
That gym looks like a couple of the high school gyms we have here in Fort Wayne.

Sorta surprised not more top 60- 75 bigs aren’t taking a hard look at Purdue at this point. Not complaining, but a little surprised.
Who knows? Maybe the housing market is just too steep in WL, as compared to getting houses around the Durham, NC area, Louisville area? Parents must have difficulty getting houses near their NBA bound kid at Purdue. Maybe the NIL isn't sweet enough? Maybe we actually offer a college education and make the kid work for it, instead of screwing him out of it with the promise of easy classes? Who knows?

Reactions: DAG10 and Zaphod_B
From the top of the world "Haves" to "Have-nots" in a matter of 5 months, if you think about it.

Here is hoping we get one back, and having another one in the oven..

Boiler Up!!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Utah state lost last night. Scored 20 points in the first half. Ouch

Played a solid Saint Mary's, they really take the air out of the ball and will usually end the year as on of the slowest 10 teams according to KP. Sort of opposite of Virginia/Wisconsin, usually very efficient offensively and so-so defensively.

Concussions are a big deal. They can permanently alter your brain, degrading cognitive and reasoning ability. Nothing funny about a real kid getting a real concussion, however I remember watching the Lone Ranger. He was forever getting knocked unconscious. I look back now and I figure by the end, he would have had the IQ of a carrot.
:cool:

How good is this kid? Has he played any ball over here in the States? Just curious, I don’t know much about him.
Here is the latest video I could find. He is NOT physically imposing, nor greatly athletic. He is skilled and seems to have a good basketball awareness to him and not really slow. As usual he like so many are playing against shorter guys. It would be wonderful if Zach came back and he could resdshirt and gather some strength.

Last edited:
Here is the latest video I could find. He is NOT physically imposing, nor greatly athletic. He is skilled and seems to have a good basketball awareness to him and not really slow. As usual he like so many are playing against shorter guys. It would be wonderful if Zach came back and he could resdshirt and gather some strength.
Unless we get someone in the transfer portal we have a need for a backup 5 with Trevion being done after this season.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
It would be wonderful if Zach came back and he could resdshirt and gather some strength.
Or, we may be fortunate to witness the magic of MP's touch, again:
Playing the strengths of players we have: Issac Haas and foursome to CE/RC and the gang..

We can have a formidable group with Furst/Kaufman and a very capable shooters.
CMP can have a good depths as well..

Or, MP has a plan that we should take it as a safe haven..

Boiler Up!!

He looks to be ok around the cup and have the good footwork (can be better, for sure).
Definitely need strengths, and more skills around the basket.
I am sure, MP and coaches can do wonders for him.

Hope he commits and come early to have a go at the 7 footer U!

Boiler Up!!

Unless we get someone in the transfer portal we have a need for a backup 5 with Trevion being done after this season.
Purdue could get by without a true 5 man by playing side by side two good 4's around 6'10" each and depending on who was defending them (a slower 5 man) that person whether Tre or Caleb could go outside and the other person abuse his defender down low. Zach has been great. Trevion has been great. Purdue has solid 5 man for a full 40 minutes something other teams do not and that is why Matt will not play Trevion and Zach together unless a special situation allows it. I've seen enough to be comfortable with Trevion on the 4 and Zach at the 5 under those potential occasions.

However, two versatile 4's that can play on the perimeter and inside taking advantage of the matchup in a given time in various areas of the court during a game can be very solid as well...and possibly making it easier for people to drive the ball. Actually, that is my inherent preference...but you play with what you have and Trevion and Zach have been GREAT. If Zach comes back...Purdue will be fine in the 4 and 5 spot I believe...just a bit less time anchored on the blocks. I think if Zach returns...Purdue is very good next year even if Jaden goes...just different skill sets on O...not quite as dominant inside or as good of passing off the blocks. Next years team won't have as many pieces ready to contribute at teh same level as this year, but neither did last years team and they were pretty good. That team wasn't as good as next years team I don't think. We're in a good spot for some solid basketball for some time...

Last edited:
Purdue could get by without a true 5 man by playing side by side two good 4's around 6'10" each and depending on who was defending them (a slower 5 man) that person whether Tre or Caleb could go outside and the other person abuse his defender down low. Zach has been great. Trevion has been great. Purdue has solid 5 man for a full 40 minutes something other teams do not and that is why Matt will not play Trevion and Zach together unless a special situation allows it. I've seen enough to be comfortable with Trevion on the 4 and Zach at the 5 under those potential occasions.

However, two versatile 4's that can play on the perimeter and inside taking advantage of the matchup in a given time in various areas of the court during a game can be very solid as well...and possibly making it easier for people to drive the ball. Actually, that is my inherent preference...but you play with what you have and Trevion and Zach have been GREAT. If Zach comes back...Purdue will be fine in the 4 and 5 spot I believe...just a bit less time anchored on the blocks. I think if Zach returns...Purdue is very good next year even if Jaden goes...just different skill sets on O...not quite as dominant inside or as good of passing off the blocks. Next years team won't have as many pieces ready to contribute at teh same level as this year, but neither did last years team and they were pretty good. That team won't be as good as next years team I don't think. We're in a good spot for some solid basketball for some time...
That is a good point. Would be a really uptempo/NBA style offense that could push during fast breaks. Outside of Morton, everyone is a solid 3pt shooter which would make us look like one of the Villanova title teams.

I love how Edey punishes the rim (like JJ did). I’m spoiled perhaps but I see another layup shooter with this guy (more like Haas in terms of spring)

if we take him, I hope he proves me wrong

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I love how Edey punishes the rim (like JJ did). I’m spoiled perhaps but I see another layup shooter with this guy (more like Haas in terms of spring)

if we take him, I hope he proves me wrong
The problem Haas had was having fouls called against him simply because he was big. That seemed to negate much of his aggression.

The player in the video is big but also nimble. But then again, you have to take the competition he was facing in to account.

With CMP's ability to coach bigs like this, I think we'll be in good shape with him.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That kid has quick feet for a 7footer. Much more fleet of foot than any other giant we have had, almost the whole video I was watching his feet...to see how quickly he moved. Very good twitch movement for a guy that size. Runs on his toes alot too, another good sign of quickness.
Looks like he has 20-30lbs of baby fat on him. That can easily be lost and converted to muscle with a D1 weight program. He's not skinny, he has a solid frame, yet still moves well. Showed good bball IQ too.

My concerns from the short video were the lack of aggression and poor shooting form. But I'm confident those are correctable with proper coaching.

oh and regarding the concerns on who would play the backup 5 when TWill leaves next season? Thats easy. His name is Caleb Furst. Gillis and TKR will battle at the 4 next year.
And to support your post, we have already seen Furst at the 5. Yes it was out of necessity, but he did a really fine job considering he is a frosh and needs muscle.

The 4 to me is TKR's to lose. Yeah he hasn't played one college game yet, but if his hype is real then Gillis is odd man out. And that isn't a knock on Gillis by any stretch, it will just mean that TKR is as good as advertised.

And to support your post, we have already seen Furst at the 5. Yes it was out of necessity, but he did a really fine job considering he is a frosh and needs muscle.

The 4 to me is TKR's to lose. Yeah he hasn't played one college game yet, but if his hype is real then Gillis is odd man out. And that isn't a knock on Gillis by any stretch, it will just mean that TKR is as good as advertised.
No reason why anybody has to be the odd man out. Just keep building two deep rotations like we have this year.

The only reason for TKR to redshird this year is to learn to play better 3.
Or, so he said at least, in his interview right after his shirts.

He can surely play 4 as well.

Hopefully will have everyone else back other than Eric, Sasha, TW, Ivey, and may be ZE.
That would leave us

Morton-PG_Jr
IT-CG_Sr
Newman-SG/SF_RJr
Mason-PF_RJr
Caleb-PF/C_So

Plus

TKR-CF_RFr
Waddell-SF_RFr
Braden-PG
Camden-SF
Fletcher-SG
(Berg ?- C)

That would put us

PG Morton/IT/Braden
SG IT/Newman/Fletcher
SF TKR/Waddell/Camden
PF Furst/Mason/TKR
C Furst (Edey-best case)/Berg (if he does)

Interesting, Maybe will have 10-11 deep.
And the favorite RS options for Braden/Camden/Berg?

Boiler Up!!

That is a good point. Would be a really uptempo/NBA style offense that could push during fast breaks. Outside of Morton, everyone is a solid 3pt shooter which would make us look like one of the Villanova title teams.
I believe Morton is shooting a little over 40% from 3 currently. He isn’t a volume shooter, but knocking down the open looks so far.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I am hoping Tre changes his mind and comes back next year to polish his game and conditioning some more for the nba.

Reactions: DAG10
Yes, they could move, but this Purdue team gets up and down the court as well. Even in the half court the team would be good...and in spite of the short clock I believe that when two "good" teams play...the game is decided in the half court. That isn't to suggest you don't want to probe and get what you can pushing the ball, but good teams aren't vulnerable to the press, trap or taking bad shots. Good teams execute and are solid on D. It takes another good team that executes and is solid on D to beat another good team I believe more often than not

Yes, they could move, but this Purdue team gets up and down the court as well. Even in the half court the team would be good...and in spite of the short clock I believe that when two "good" teams play...the game is decided in the half court. That isn't to suggest you don't want to probe and get what you can pushing the ball, but good teams aren't vulnerable to the press, trap or taking bad shots. Good teams execute and are solid on D. It takes another good team that executes and is solid on D to beat another good team I believe more often than not
not completely what you're talking about, but one of my greatest frustrations with Painter-coached teams is the slow, haphazard(?) way in which we in-bound after an opponent's made basket.

I saw this a LOT vs FSU, but it happens every game.

We're slow to take the ball out, slow to get the ball in, the defense has already set up, and they pressure the ball all the way into the front court. The result is an even shorter play clock.

Not suggesting we employ a run and gun offense, but I want the ball in and advanced past half court as efficiently as possible so we can get in our offense.

I don't understand why he doesn't see this, or, if he does, why he sees no urgency to change it.

No reason why anybody has to be the odd man out. Just keep building two deep rotations like we have this year.
Among the various player improvement lies the impact of how deep Purdue is. We know all the players belong and it appears that the depth may be the most important area of Purdue play that Purdue can 100% control. If each player continues to share the ball at the right time rather than a few seconds late due to thinking of his own shot and each player really brings it for their total time in the game, the depth will win out in the last 5 minutes. If Purdue outworks the other team every second due to the energy of extra players giving it their all....Purdue will be hard to beat. That is the challenge for every player...to play with such intensity that the other team withers towards the end if not sooner. "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." Lombardi/Patton

not completely what you're talking about, but one of my greatest frustrations with Painter-coached teams is the slow, haphazard(?) way in which we in-bound after an opponent's made basket.

We're slow to take the ball out, slow to get the ball in, the defense has already set up, and they pressure the ball all the way into the front court. The result is an even shorter play clock.

Not suggesting we employ a run and gun offense, but I want the ball in and advanced past half court as efficiently as possible so we can get in our offense.

I don't understand why he doesn't see this, or, if he does, why he sees no urgency to change it.
Several times in the first half, Newman was supposed to inbound the ball but chose to run to the offensive end instead and Hunter had to inbound the ball. I think I heard Painter yelling, “Let’s go Brandon!”

Yeah, against pressure getting it in quick can be an advantage. Matt does what some do and that "generally" is the 3 man taking it out and so they wait on him. The idea is that you have your best ball handlers ready to receive the ball and the third ball handler that should be a solid passer making good decisions is the triggerman to start it all. Although I shared the thought with Matt there is no question that getting it in quicker has some advantages...especially if you like the game up and down and you have enough confidence in several breaking a press and/or taking a shot.

Many times since taking it out happens after a basket the 4 and 5 men are closer to the basket and/or ball and usually they are not the ones you want making the decisions and making the pass and so why the 3 man many times is the triggerman. However, as you said..."if you can get the ball in quick" and all the ball handling is fine...there are definite advantages. Now, let's take this thought into another area...

It sure is nice that you have players that can gather a rebound and start a break without immediately looking for an outlet to the 1 & 2 men...says Ethan...Dakota...Sasha...Vince and so forth. That too with the right people is an advantage under a similar thought. ;)

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Several times in the first half, Newman was supposed to inbound the ball but chose to run to the offensive end instead and Hunter had to inbound the ball. I think I heard Painter yelling, “Let’s go Brandon!”
This is exactly right ... inbounder ran downcourt and the other guys had to decide what to do.

Not sure about Painter, but I did hear it up a bit behind the bench and seemed to get Brandon going. ;) Gotta remember, you may not scoreif you are taking it out at the other end. Course, the trigger man under the basket scores in high school and I can recall a side line out of bounds that either Weber or Reiter did with Doug Lee as the trigger man. He inbounded the ball and the player defending the Doug went to double the ball and the Purdue player passed it back to Doug who was on the court waiting wide open to either win the game or make a huge basket in the final seconds. I think it was Tom since he had so many out of bound plays, but I haven't checked the years for verification of the possibility. RIP Tom https://purdue.rivals.com/news/tom-reiter-1953-2014

Don't know much about him, but is he nicknamed "Ice"?

I watched the end of the SMC and Utah State game. Foul with .9 seconds was called for the win. The head coaches had a long discussion at the end that was not friendly talk.

I'd rather see Painter land a couple more 6'4-6'6 ball handling wings or guys who can create, get their shot, penetrate and finish.
Idk. Painter seems to be doing just fine with who he is getting. Don't forget we have some awesome talent that redshirted this year too.

Reactions: Purdue85

However, two versatile 4's that can play on the perimeter and inside taking advantage of the matchup in a given time in various areas of the court during a game can be very solid as well...and possibly making it easier for people to drive the ball. Actually, that is my inherent preference...but you play with what you have and Trevion and Zach have been GREAT. If Zach comes back...Purdue will be fine in the 4 and 5 spot I believe...just a bit less time anchored on the blocks. I think if Zach returns...Purdue is very good next year even if Jaden goes...just different skill sets on O...not quite as dominant inside or as good of passing off the blocks. Next years team won't have as many pieces ready to contribute at teh same level as this year, but neither did last years team and they were pretty good. That team wasn't as good as next years team I don't think. We're in a good spot for some solid basketball for some time...
I think I’ve seen this post before :)

• Love
Reactions: tjreese

Painter values the ball so much I am sure the players are slowed a bit by not wanting to turn the ball over

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT