ADVERTISEMENT

TCU - Utah State

Neither team is great but good enough to beat us if we play like we did in the first half today.

Either team can beat us if we play like the first half.

We can beat either team if we play like the second half.

Reactions: Schnelk and ChuckJr
It’s early but I think I’d rather Play Utah State. TCU has a bunch of dudes.
Purdue wouldn’t allow TCU to get out quite as often…still could beat Zach down some. Utah has some athletic size. Be interesting to see how Purdue would attack the 1-3-1. Curious the size of the zone since I’ve only caught a bit of the game.

We need to put tkr on the 3 pt shooting center if we play utah st and NOT EDEY.

Put edey on their top post player and just keeo arms up and feet down. We can not have edey chasing around a 3 ot shooter or we are going to be allowing a layup line

After 32 minutes, I think I might have changed my thought. Utah State is good.
Trey will take the big guy from Oregon and Zach will have the other big and sag. Hopefully Mason is on because when he replaces Trey and if the guy from Oregon is still on the court Mason is at a size disadvantage

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
We need to put tkr on the 3 pt shooting center if we play utah st and NOT EDEY.

Put edey on their top post player and just keeo arms up and feet down. We can not have edey chasing around a 3 ot shooter or we are going to be allowing a layup line
Matt always plays that way if possible

Trey will take the big guy from Oregon and Zach will have the other big and sag. Hopefully Mason is on because when he replaces Trey and if the guy from Oregon is still on the court Mason is at a size disadvantage
I bet we see a lot more Heide than Mason.

Purdue wouldn’t allow TCU to get out quite as often…still could beat Zach down some. Utah has some athletic size. Be interesting to see how Purdue would attack the 1-3-1. Curious the size of the zone since I’ve only caught a bit of the game.
I doubt we see much of the zone. They went to it when they were getting beat off the dribble, to see if TCU can shoot.

I bet we see a lot more Heide than Mason.
I’m unsure either has the size for the big, but cam can front in the lane and contest a pass. If a 1-3-1 that baseline shot for Mason is open. If Lance, fletch and Braden are enough O the Caleb could defend the guy if size is the way to go. Coaches will already have thoughts before tonight and have a feel if they were typical or just played really well. I don’t know anything about them other than the very little I’ve seen tonight looking at my phone and looking at the TV.

I doubt we see much of the zone. They went to it when they were getting beat off the dribble, to see if TCU can shoot.
They will test it at some point. I thought I looked up once and saw a 2-3 that quickly matched up.

I’m unsure either has the size for the big, but cam can front in the lane and contest a pass. If a 1-3-1 that baseline shot for Mason is open. If Lance, fletch and Braden are enough O the Caleb could defend the guy if size is the way to go. Coaches will already have thoughts before tonight and have a feel if they were typical or just played really well. I don’t know anything about them other than the very little I’ve seen tonight looking at my phone and looking at the TV.
Furst might be the best defensive option for Johnson. But would you get enough on offense from him ?

Reactions: tjreese
Furst might be the best defensive option for Johnson. But would you get enough on offense from him ?
That is why I said if Braden, Fletch and Lance are hitting there would be enough. Course if Caleb could limit him it won’t matter because they would lose more of their offense

UTAH st looked good. I hope we play the inside out and get some a 3’s rolling and Zach going and don’t go one dimensional like first half. I think this game plays in our favor with Utah having another big and not a smaller line up. Purdue has a better team 3pt shooting percentage than Uta, but Utah has good balance.
Wish Jayden Ivey was still here so we could capitalize on fast breaks! Damn the NBA $

Mason looked a bit timid today as a shooter. Can’t have that again.
Yeah, I typed somewhere that he appears to have been that way the last two tourney games and can only remember a brain dead moment for him, although maybe he was timid in the St. Peters game. Hopefully, he has a good game against Utah when he comes in. He is probably going to get a bit longer look in that game...if he can be good on D on their tall lanky kid.

That center who hit those threes was kind of an aberration. He averages about six points a game and hadn't scored more than ten points in a game since February 14. Hoping yesterday was his one shining moment.
Thank you. I have NOT done any info on them. This is a good example of seeing a team casually once and not getting the most accurate picture. That is good to know. Also, it shows what is capable from him.

Mason looked a bit timid today as a shooter. Can’t have that again.
Yeah he turned down a couple looks he normally takes. Think that first 3 which missed everything, shook him. Need him to dial in and go to work.

The rebounds and box outs he had were classic Mason. Just can’t have him playing scared

Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
That center who hit those threes was kind of an aberration. He averages about six points a game and hadn't scored more than ten points in a game since February 14. Hoping yesterday was his one shining moment.
Edey should absolutely bury that guy at the rim on the other end though. He'll likely have 2 fouls by the 15 min mark of 1st half. I'm sure he'll get some good looks, but hopefully won't make a difference or offset Zach's advantage on the other end.

I think Edey might play a Ty Rogers zone against the chubby big guy who does damage off the bounce. He's only shot 11 3's on the year. Did he have a midrange/pullup game? I only saw bit and pieces.

Edey should absolutely bury that guy at the rim on the other end though. He'll likely have 2 fouls by the 15 min mark of 1st half. I'm sure he'll get some good looks, but hopefully won't make a difference or offset Zach's advantage on the other end.

I think Edey might play a Ty Rogers zone against the chubby big guy who does damage off the bounce. He's only shot 11 3's on the year. Did he have a midrange/pullup game? I only saw bit and pieces.
Johnson is 7 foot, but only 227lbs, it will be hard for him without a double against Zach. The “chubby guy” likely will hit a few three pointers against Purdue given how poor or infrequent shooters do versus Purdue.

Zach has played the "drop" or one man zone a LOT this year...and if he is not in foul trouble like last night he starts to challenge the rim more later in the game.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Poprudy
Zach has played the "drop" or one man zone a LOT this year...and if he is not in foul trouble like last night he starts to challenge the rim more later in the game.
Those midrange shots were dropping early but when they decided to attack the rim Zach played it perfectly. Looking back at last night and I feel our defense moved to a straight up instead of angles and they weren't near as effective.

Matt always plays that way if possible
Ya the only downaide is zach picking up fouls against their top post up guy. I think we likely just send an auto double on him though and theb let zach stay under the basket off ball.

They have a ****ing SIXTH year senuor PG too. This is going to be a tough game

Maybe it's just me but I just see our guards coming out determined. I don't think we'll see another game of tightness from these guys. Hopefully, they got it out of their system...add Mason to this.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
Ya the only downaide is zach picking up fouls against their top post up guy. I think we likely just send an auto double on him though and theb let zach stay under the basket off ball.

They have a ****ing SIXTH year senuor PG too. This is going to be a tough game
Now that I see their size I see a bit different game, depending on if they play smaller which seems to be more of the case. Now I can see Cam and Mason getting minutes if they spread teh court with four guards. However, they may bring in their 6'11" athlete to play D on Zach instead of the 7 ft shooter that had his way last night. Their best player is 6'8" 250 pound and he is no threat out which means Zach could take him and then who they play at the 4 might dictate who Purdue can play. I don't see why they could have an effective zone "IF" they are playing small...especially a 1-3-1

Pretty sure the 7 foot 3 point shooter is now a starter, so he will 100% be in until/if he is in foul trouble

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT