ADVERTISEMENT

Available Transfers, Decommitments, and Unsigned Prospects Thread

Those options are better than Ondigo and Sodom, but I don't think they are better than Garrison Brooks, the decomit from Mississippi State. He has us in his top four. A lot of big time school offers like Kansas and UNC. Garrison is the best realistic option. If realistic isn't a factor for you, it's McCoy as the best option.

I like brooks as well, but I did not see his name included in that link. My comments/preferences were only based on the link provided.

However, my opinion remains. I don't believe Purdue needs a big man for the 2017-2018 season. I don't believe Purdue even needs another player. Taking a cue from Brohm, I believe it may be in Painter's and Purdue's best interest to accept a transfer student and allow him to sit out this year and start after Haas departs. I like some of these transfer students a lot more than Ondigo, Sodom, Trapp and our other 2018 targeted players.

I like brooks as well, but I did not see his name included in that link. My comments/preferences were only based on the link provided.

However, my opinion remains. I don't believe Purdue needs a big man for the 2017-2018 season. I don't believe Purdue even needs another player. Taking a cue from Brohm, I believe it may be in Painter's and Purdue's best interest to accept a transfer student and allow him to sit out this year and start after Haas departs. I like some of these transfer students a lot more than Ondigo, Sodom, Trapp and our other 2018 targeted players.

I get it, but I could care less what was on that link. Garrison Brooks is the best option. He is better than transfers and the other 2017 targets that Purdue has a chance at. A transfer is not the way to go at this point because of the signing of Ewing. Minutes are already scarce, even with Biggie leaving. I like Ondigo, but he is a project. Brooks can already rim protect and block shots with great affectiveness. He is an incoming freshman, so Purdue could possibly have him for four years if he doesn't leave early for the NBA, which would be a possibility.

I attached a link for the best available transfers, by I didn't see any of the top ones mentioning Purdue. I would focus in on Brooks (or McCoy if he gave any indication of interest personally to Painter) and keep Ondigoas a backup. Luckily we are waiting on Biggie's decision, so there is no rush. Don't have to worry about Ondigo committing before Brooks makes a decision. Also, Ondigo has three more visits he plans to make.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...asketball-best-transfers-going-2017-18-season

Keep going. JUCOs... Excel... cut and paste (Ctrl C + Ctrl V)... A clear picture isn't forming yet, but don't give up.
You ask people to make a list for you. I'm giving you freely available resources to figure it out on your own.

I went to the first link in the thread which gives the list from verbal commits. I simply put it in s spreadsheet that I can look at and review. Been doing it since this thread started.

**Updated - here it is **

Last edited:
3 * C 7' 250 ' Cameron Rooks of California looks kind of interesting . He's immediately available as a grad transfer. Will he follow Zo to Missouri? .

4* C 6'10 260 Jethro Tshiumpa of Arizona St is not immediate, but would be ready after Haas left. We don't really need him for next year.

4* C 7' 265 Dante Williams of Kansas St would also have to sit out a year.

4.7* PF 6'9 Bragg of Kansas was discussed in a different thread. Somebody else didn't want to touch him, although Illinois was interested.

5* PF 6'10 230 Chase Jeter of Duke is one I'd want. he's also not immediately available.

This brings up a decision point. Do we need a big man for this year? from others' posts, the answer appears to be no. It appears Taylor, Ewing, and Haarms are going to get very few minutes as back-ups. it was also pointed out Ondigo would most likely be a project and possibly red-shirted. To me that would suggest rather than signing a project who needs a year to develop, we should look at signing a 4-5 star transfer, and have that player watch and learn and take over for Haas when he leaves. To me, that would make Jeter, Bragg, Williams, and Tshiumpa very attractive. They are all a lot more talented than our current 2018 big man targets, and they are better than our 2017 big man targets Ondigo and Sodom. They could come here and essentially red shirt this year and be ready to play next year. . Something to consider.

This is why I stated that high-quality "grad transfer" bigs are scarce right now.

You ask people to make a list for you. I'm giving you freely available resources to figure it out on your own.

I went to the first link in the thread which gives the list from verbal commits. I simply put it in s spreadsheet that I can look at and review. Been doing it since this thread started.

**Updated - here it is **
That's a nice list with several players that may be of interest, but maybe I now understand the confusion. You had my post confused with a request for a list from someone else. I didn't ask anyone for a list. I asked specifically about current JUCO players. Maybe Nags asked for this list.

That's a nice list with several players that may be of interest, but maybe I now understand the confusion. You had my post confused with a request for a list from someone else. I didn't ask anyone for a list. I asked specifically about current JUCO players. Maybe Nags asked for this list.
Oh so we're back to you wanting people to internet for you. Grow up Drew and do your own interneting.

LOL. And we are back to you not being able to read, so you cover for yourself by replying in gibberish.

See you're own quote. Verbatim.
Do your own homework and stop asking people on this thread to do it for you.

Or JUCOs. We were told that Purdue would never, ever win a championship without JUCOs. I keep wondering why a list of them isn't provided in this thread.

See you're own quote. Verbatim.
Do your own homework and stop asking people on this thread to do it for you.

So you are obviously one of those people who felt we absolutely must have JUCOs to win. And you are so offended by my post that you had to respond with something -- anything -- even if it completely unrelated. If the topic interests you so much, why did you spend so much time putting together a list of players, many of whom are not even available, when you could have put together a list of available JUCOs? Even more puzzling, why did you attach your unsolicited and unrelated list to your response to me? Very weird. I'm still waiting for that explanation.

So you are obviously one of those people who felt we absolutely must have JUCOs to win. And you are so offended by my post that you had to respond with something -- anything -- even if it completely unrelated. If the topic interests you so much, why did you spend so much time putting together a list of players, many of whom are not even available, when you could have put together a list of available JUCOs? Even more puzzling, why did you attach your unsolicited and unrelated list to your response to me? Very weird. I'm still waiting for that explanation.
Re: Spend a lot of time. Clearly you don't know how to use Excel because this took all of 1 minute to do.

Re: Unsolicited response. You asked (I keep wondering why a list of them isn't provided in this thread) for a list of possible JUCO transfers.

You are the one who keeps avoiding the topic of your original ask. You act like this board is some how your service network for people to do menial tasks ie Google & Excel.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100 - 30 second Google search and now you have a list of the potential JUCOs.

Re: Spend a lot of time. Clearly you don't know how to use Excel because this took all of 1 minute to do.

Re: Unsolicited response. You asked (I keep wondering why a list of them isn't provided in this thread) for a list of possible JUCO transfers.

You are the one who keeps avoiding the topic of your original ask. You act like this board is some how your service network for people to do menial tasks ie Google & Excel.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/2017jucotop100 - 30 second Google search and now you have a list of the potential JUCOs.
And now I no longer have to wonder about why you haven't spent your time on JUCOs.

But with that fragile temperament, I will continue to worry about your feelings being hurt.

And now I no longer have to wonder about why you haven't spent your time on JUCOs.

But with that fragile temperament, I will continue to worry about your feelings being hurt.

Go ahead and post the comments and opinions I have stated related to JUCOs.

You're the technologically challenged person who can't perform simple Google searches and asks random strangers to do it for him.

Now we're back to Malik Ondigo being Purdue's top 4/5 target (should Swanigan leave).

Does anyone know if the staff is actually recruiting Jeremiah Tillmon? I know that Painter sometimes defers and doesn't pursue players that his former teammates and colleagues seem to have in-roads with (Tillmon being from East St. Louis, just like Cuonzo Martin) in order to avoid making waves with them.

So, are these all of the current 2017 big men targets that have been mentioned in some capacity or another as having varying degrees of interest in Purdue?

Most Likely:

1. Ondigo
2. Chris Sodom

Less likely but possible:

3. Tillmon
4. Brandon McCoy

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Now we're back to Malik Ondigo being Purdue's top 4/5 target (should Swanigan leave).

Does anyone know if the staff is actually recruiting Jeremiah Tillmon? I know that Painter sometimes defers and doesn't pursue players that his former teammates and colleagues seem to have in-roads with (Tillmon being from East St. Louis, just like Cuonzo Martin) in order to avoid making waves with them.

So, are these all of the current 2017 big men targets that have been mentioned in some capacity or another as having varying degrees of interest in Purdue?

Most Likely:

1. Ondigo
2. Chris Sodom

Less likely but possible:

3. Tillmon
4. Brandon McCoy

I have no idea if Painter is on Kenny Wooten or not, but he left ASU and has an offer from Kansas and Oregon. If he isn't a target he should be. He is a great defender and is very athletic. He should definitely be a target.

Reactions: nagemj02
Besides the Verbal Commits site (http://www.verbalcommits.com/), there's also the annual Jeff Goodman (now with Jeff Borzello helping out) Transfer List. It makes it a little more clear which players are leaving or entering each major or mid-major conference program: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...asketball-best-transfers-going-2017-18-season

Big man recruiting aside, I just can't picture guard Sasha Stefanovic being good enough to break into the rotation next season for Purdue. So, instead of being redshirted, he could (as I've mentioned before) go to prep school for a year and play against a higher competition level than he did at Crown Point.

With Stefanovic prepping for a year, this leaves at least one scholarship open. If I were the coaches, I would use it on an experienced and proven guard. One that I believe Purdue would have a very good chance of getting is Wright State's Mark Alstork (graduate transfer that hails from Dayton OH). Here are some highlights of him from this past season:

With Alstork next season, Purdue would have three guards (along with Carsen Edwards and Nojel Eastern) that could consistently create and score off of their own dribble. That would help the Boilermakers, especially against the top-level opponents.

Boiler Up

Last edited:
So, instead of being redshirted, he could (as I've mentioned before) go to prep school for a year and play against a better competition level than he did at Crown Point.

I'm curious, are you paying the $30,000 it will cost for Sasha to go to prep school or are you expecting his parents to pay it? There are prep school scholarships available but they are mostly spoken for at this time.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
3 * C 7' 250 ' Cameron Rooks of California looks kind of interesting . He's immediately available as a grad transfer. Will he follow Zo to Missouri? .

4* C 6'10 260 Jethro Tshiumpa of Arizona St is not immediate, but would be ready after Haas left. We don't really need him for next year.

4* C 7' 265 Dante Williams of Kansas St would also have to sit out a year.

4.7* PF 6'9 Bragg of Kansas was discussed in a different thread. Somebody else didn't want to touch him, although Illinois was interested.

5* PF 6'10 230 Chase Jeter of Duke is one I'd want. he's also not immediately available.

This brings up a decision point. Do we need a big man for this year? from others' posts, the answer appears to be no. It appears Taylor, Ewing, and Haarms are going to get very few minutes as back-ups. it was also pointed out Ondigo would most likely be a project and possibly red-shirted. To me that would suggest rather than signing a project who needs a year to develop, we should look at signing a 4-5 star transfer, and have that player watch and learn and take over for Haas when he leaves. To me, that would make Jeter, Bragg, Williams, and Tshiumpa very attractive. They are all a lot more talented than our current 2018 big man targets, and they are better than our 2017 big man targets Ondigo and Sodom. They could come here and essentially red shirt this year and be ready to play next year. . Something to consider.

With Ondigo, Brooks, Wooten, and McCoy all gone, I'm starting to like my previous post and idea to go after a transfer who would sit out the 2017-2018 year and be available to start when Haas and company leave. Jeter or Bragg would be nice additions. Tshiumpa or Williams could step in as starters. I hate to say it, but waiting for Biggie to declare is a detriment as most of the elite players left don't want to wait until June before committing to a team. Is Tilmon going to wait until June? I doubt it.

Rooks would make a nice grad transfer allowing us to use that scholarship to pursue an elite big man in 2018.

With Ondigo, Brooks, Wooten, and McCoy all gone, I'm starting to like my previous post and idea to go after a transfer who would sit out the 2017-2018 year and be available to start when Haas and company leave. Jeter or Bragg would be nice additions. Tshiumpa or Williams could step in as starters. I hate to say it, but waiting for Biggie to declare is a detriment as most of the elite players left don't want to wait until June before committing to a team. Is Tilmon going to wait until June? I doubt it.

Rooks would make a nice grad transfer allowing us to use that scholarship to pursue an elite big man in 2018.

Bragg seems like too much of a "knucklehead" to be worth offering. Rooks has not put up any significant numbers throughout his career, including in the blocked-shots category. If the staff decided to go that route, Chase Jeter would be a decent option (though next season's team is likely to be better equipped for a deeper run in The Tourney than the '18-'19 squad, hence the urgency for a shot-blocking 4 or 5 man that can play next season).

So, as far as 2017 bigs, Sodom and Tillmon are possibilities but after that, it is now unknown.

So, as far as 2017 bigs, Sodom and Tillmon are possibilities but after that, it is now unknown.

I don't even know if Painter is actively recruiting Tilmon. I'm not sure Tilmon is considering Purdue. But talent wise, I'd take the risk and reach out to him. If he was academically eligible to attend U of I, he should be academically eligible to attend Purdue. And we could sure use his basketball talents.

I just don't believe Sodom is the answer.

I would be happy with Jeremiah Tilmon and Mark Alstork, to go along with Haas, VE, CE, Mathias, Thompson, Cline, Taylor, Eastern, Wheeler, Ewing, and Haarms.

I would be happy with Jeremiah Tilmon and Mark Alstork, to go along with Haas, VE, CE, Mathias, Thompson, Cline, Taylor, Eastern, Wheeler, Ewing, and Haarms.
Holy crap, man. Tilmon is not coming to Purdue. Never was. Why do you say stuff like this?

Holy crap, man. Tilmon is not coming to Purdue. Never was. Why do you say stuff like this?

I believe and many here agree that we would be very happy if Tilmon decided to come to Purdue. And let's face it. It's very late in the recruiting season, and most quality teams no longer have a scholarship to offer him. So, his choices are limited. Illinois wasn't good enough for him, so that would eliminate 75% of division 1 colleges. Admittedly, Tilmon hasn't expressed much interest in Purdue, and Painter hasn't spent much time trying to attract Tilmon. But in striking out with the other alternatives, Painter may be more inclined to go after Tilmon. And unlike football, I can't see Painter giving Biggies scholarship away to some 2star project. So going after Tilmon makes sense. Maybe Lutz could close the deal. And if not, I won't cry. And looking at the alternatives, Tilmon is probably the most talented player still available and is worth the effort.

I believe and many here agree that we would be very happy if Tilmon decided to come to Purdue. And let's face it. It's very late in the recruiting season, and most quality teams no longer have a scholarship to offer him. So, his choices are limited. Illinois wasn't good enough for him, so that would eliminate 75% of division 1 colleges. Admittedly, Tilmon hasn't expressed much interest in Purdue, and Painter hasn't spent much time trying to attract Tilmon. But in striking out with the other alternatives, Painter may be more inclined to go after Tilmon. And unlike football, I can't see Painter giving Biggies scholarship away to some 2star project. So going after Tilmon makes sense. Maybe Lutz could close the deal. And if not, I won't cry. And looking at the alternatives, Tilmon is probably the most talented player still available and is worth the effort.
We never even offered Tilmon. There have been no reports that we have even shown passing interest since he decommitted from Illinois. It's just not happening. It's like saying we'd like to have Zion Williamson. It sounds awesome until you consider that we're not looking at him and he's not looking at us. It's the same thing with Tilmon. I get that you want Purdue to go after him, and that's fine. But I'm just telling you he's not coming here.

Tilmon is a lot like MCCoy. Neither player really considered Purdue. And Painter never recruited either player. But the pickings are getting thin for both the player and Purdue. very few people would have predicted McCoy to choose UNLV. Not very many quality teams have scholarships to offer. Two weeks ago, everybody said Tilmon was a lock to join Zo at Missouri. but the longer he remains uncommitted, makes me believe Missouri is not really at the top of his wish list. If he already qualified academically for U of I, I can't see why he would be waiting this long, if he really liked Missouri. Reading the papers, MSU must still have 1-2 scholarships left to give out as they keep talking about how they missed out. With JJJ and Ward, would MSU be interested in Tilmon? Would IU?

At this stage of the recruiting season, I doubt you will see any coach make an offer to any remaining 2017 recruit. At this stage, I would expect the offer, commitment and signing all to take place on the same day. I would expect a dominoe effect of Biggie turning pro and an offer, commitment and signing all happening within 24 hours.

Has Painter even talked to Tilmon? I believe he knows who he is. I believe a wild card is Lutz. I believe Lutz has probably built some relationships with players Painter had not recruited. Because of that, I would place Bowen as a higher probability of signing with Purdue than Tilmon.
But looking at the potential players still available I rate Tilmon as the best available player to fill our need.

Here is some raw data obtained from other recruiting sites. It reflected there is interest by Purdue in Tilmon although no offer was given. Tilmon was listed as a target, so I would believe Painter was recruiting him. I forgot MSU also signed that other 4* PF, so I cannot believe they would also want Tilmon, but they were after McCoy, so who knows.

Bowen was expected to sign with MSU until Bridges decided to stay. He was listing Creighton and Arizona as his second choices. Bowen also plays for Mean Streets AAU team which is the same team Puurdue 2018 target Anderson is playing for. Although I doubt Painter would want both Bowen and Anderson. Lutz recruited Epperson to Creighton. Could he recruit Bowen to Purdue? doubtful, but it's something to consider.

A third out of the blue listing is 4* PG Waters. Painter was recruiting him and gave him an offer. As of last month, he was listing Creighton as a strong 1/2 choice. Although Purdue doesn't need another pg, Could Lutz and Painter's relationship with and recruitment of Water bring him to Purdue? Or has that ship sailed?

Here is some raw data obtained from other recruiting sites. It reflected there is interest by Purdue in Tilmon although no offer was given. Tilmon was listed as a target, so I would believe Painter was recruiting him. I forgot MSU also signed that other 4* PF, so I cannot believe they would also want Tilmon, but they were after McCoy, so who knows.

Bowen was expected to sign with MSU until Bridges decided to stay. He was listing Creighton and Arizona as his second choices. Bowen also plays for Mean Streets AAU team which is the same team Puurdue 2018 target Anderson is playing for. Although I doubt Painter would want both Bowen and Anderson. Lutz recruited Epperson to Creighton. Could he recruit Bowen to Purdue? doubtful, but it's something to consider.

A third out of the blue listing is 4* PG Waters. Painter was recruiting him and gave him an offer. As of last month, he was listing Creighton as a strong 1/2 choice. Although Purdue doesn't need another pg, Could Lutz and Painter's relationship with and recruitment of Water bring him to Purdue? Or has that ship sailed?

It has been reported that a Eastern does not want to play with Bowen. It was one of (the many reasons) he did not pick MSU. Would it matter? No, not really. Bowen is a nice player, but he isn't the peice that Purdue would need to break that sweet 16 ceiling. He would find his way to the floor and he would indeed be an improvement, but I don't think Purdue is considering him for multiple reasons (not interest on his end very well might be the biggest reason.) Purdue was on Tillmon early, but I (like most) have no idea if there has been any contact since the decomittment. Just because it isn't reported, does not mean it isn't there. It's so easy to text or call and it would never catch any media attention. Tillmon is the best option if Biggie goes. I was 100% sure Biggie was gone and had nothing to stay for. Now I am about 75% sure. If he goes for the draft, he will get drafted to a good team. The question is whether he bets on himself showing better defense and reducing turnovers while mainting his other numbers. Is winning a college championship anything that matters to him? Does player of the year matter to him? From day 1, I would the answer to those questions are no, which is why I still think he is gone. I am just not convinced it is set in stone just yet.

Last edited:
I've heard about the eastern and bowen feud. and I can't find anything that says there is any interest from either bowen or Purdue recruiting bowen. But Creighton and probably lutz recuited him a lot.
I would be interesting to see if like brohm, lutz would bring some of the players he previously recruited to Purdue.

as it stands now, it appears if biggie leaves, painter will sign a grad transfer or other transfer rather than a 4 year player.

the longer these elite players wait, the easier it is to speculate purdue has a chance - albeit a very small one.

I've heard about the eastern and bowen feud. and I can't find anything that says there is any interest from either bowen or Purdue recruiting bowen. But Creighton and probably lutz recuited him a lot.
I would be interesting to see if like brohm, lutz would bring some of the players he previously recruited to Purdue.

as it stands now, it appears if biggie leaves, painter will sign a grad transfer or other transfer rather than a 4 year player.

the longer these elite players wait, the easier it is to speculate purdue has a chance - albeit a very small one.
All the players that haven't committed at this point that are top 100we have exactly a 0% chance of signing.

They all have double digit offers and someone like Purdue coming in last minute to make an offer is a waste of time.

Time to focus on a 1 yr transfer player and put our efforts on getting a big in 18

All the players that haven't committed at this point that are top 100we have exactly a 0% chance of signing.

They all have double digit offers and someone like Purdue coming in last minute to make an offer is a waste of time.

Time to focus on a 1 yr transfer player and put our efforts on getting a big in 18

If they go that route, I want them to go after Mark Alstork. The only problem is that Painter might avoid recruiting someone like Alstork because he might be good enough (in Painter's mind; in my mind, he's definitely good enough) to take away minutes from Mathias.

The last thing Painter seems to want to happen is to have minutes taken away from Mathias (31.8 MPG this past season), even though there were several games (Villanova, Louisville, and Kansas, to name a few) where he played anywhere between 26 and 43 minutes (OT game vs. Michigan in B1G Tourney) but produced very little in the way of points:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3136991/dakota-mathias

Last edited:
If they go that route, I want them to go after Mark Alstork. The only problem is that Painter might avoid recruiting someone like Alstork because he might be good enough (in Painter's mind; in my mind, he's definitely good enough) to take away minutes from Mathias.

The last thing Painter seems to want to happen is to have minutes taken away from Mathias (31.8 MPG this past season), even though there were several games (Villanova, Louisville, and Kansas, to name a few) where he played anywhere between 26 and 43 minutes (OT game vs. Michigan in B1G Tourney) but produced very little in the way of points:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3136991/dakota-mathias
Good God let it go.
Mathias will sit when he's tired. That's it.
You've figured out this guy is good enough to take minutes from our senior..........from what, videos.....scouting reports?
Our backcourt is full. Not that it matters, but what makes you think this guy would want to walk into that situation?
Only thing we're gonna take is a big and that's looking less likely for next year.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Ok, I will concede it's doubtful we land another top 100 player for 2017! But I am still holding out for a transfer or grad transfer. The only grad transfer that peeked my interest was the center from Cal that nobody on this board liked.

There are still a bunch of regular transfer players I like that would sit out a year.

The guy from ill st would be ok. I'd rather have the big man Bragg from Kansas or the PF/c from Duke as regular transfers and wait until 2018 to see them play. I almost believe the regular transfers are a lot better than the available bigs in 2018!

2017 was supposed to be our big year. We signed a lot of players, but now it looks like 2018 will be our big and important recruiting year - especially for a big man at both center and PF. But for some odd reason, Painter's current focus is on guards and small forwards. Maybe Haarms will surprise me.

I though it was at the end of May, but apparently it is June 12. It is tied to the end of the combine.

oh man

I was thinking it was May 24th as well. I forgot that it changed this year. We very well could be waiting another month (and change) for Swanigan to decide whether to stay in the draft or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT