ADVERTISEMENT

Available Transfers, Decommitments, and Unsigned Prospects Thread

My guess on minute break down next year:
Mathias and Vince- 30 each
PJ, Carsen, and Haas- 25 each
Cline-20
Eastern, Wheeler, and Ewing-15 each
Unlikely Haarms or Sasha will crack the rotation in my opinion. Painter seems to have been trending towards smaller rotations. My projections have nine players getting around 15 minutes next year. That might even be a little high. I know Ewing and Eastern will get some minutes next year and I have liked what I have seen/heard about Wheeler so I'm putting him in the rotation. Next years team seems pretty deep to me not sure there are minutes for a grad transfer to get unless they are a star. Maybe a SF but not sure it'd be worth it unless Wheeler would want to RS.
No Taylor?

Well that makes him less likely. Hey Nags. Please put Epperson on your 5th year transfer target list for 2021, 2022, whatever it takes.
And TJ, gracias for the update.

I've never seen Epperson play but man he sure does look like he's 12 years old. He's very highly rated so I'm guessing that means nothing but I'm also thinking comparing himself to Justin Patton might be a little off.

Close the deal on Ondigo and turn him into JJ.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Agree on Haarms being more of a 4. Any idea how his defense stacks up? Can he guard a 5? Rebound?

Depends on the 5.....he's not a beanpole, but he's not 250+ either.

I don't want people to get ahead of themselves - Haarms can be a good player, will he be next year? I don't know. I think he'll play some, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not the second option after Haas (assuming Taylor is healthy).

He definitely has the ability to extend beyond the paint and is pretty quick/athletic for a big man. He's also pretty good ball handling and passing - which is a great thing for us out of that position.

Defensively, I think he has the tools to be good. He's not slow for sure and has good lateral speed. How he bangs in the post on either end probably needs some work. And given that he's not a guy who hangs out in the paint, he's not a big rebounder - but there's opportunity to grow there.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I've never seen Epperson play but man he sure does look like he's 12 years old. He's very highly rated so I'm guessing that means nothing but I'm also thinking comparing himself to Justin Patton might be a little off.

Close the deal on Ondigo and turn him into JJ.
Honestly, with the firepower assembling in the next few seasons the five could be a defense and rebound guy and we would be very good. If he develops offense that's gravy.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Depends on the 5.....he's not a beanpole, but he's not 250+ either.

I don't want people to get ahead of themselves - Haarms can be a good player, will he be next year? I don't know. I think he'll play some, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not the second option after Haas (assuming Taylor is healthy).

He definitely has the ability to extend beyond the paint and is pretty quick/athletic for a big man. He's also pretty good ball handling and passing - which is a great thing for us out of that position.

Defensively, I think he has the tools to be good. He's not slow for sure and has good lateral speed. How he bangs in the post on either end probably needs some work. And given that he's not a guy who hangs out in the paint, he's not a big rebounder - but there's opportunity to grow there.

Of the newcomers already in tow for next season, I'm predicting this order of who's going to be the most productive on the court:

1. Eastern
2. Wheeler
3. Ewing (JC transfer)
4. Haarms
5. Stefanovic

Reactions: Roeder
Of the newcomers already in tow for next season, I'm predicting this order of who's going to be the most productive on the court:

1. Eastern
2. Wheeler
3. Ewing (JC transfer)
4. Haarms
5. Stefanovic
I'd guess Ewing at 2 just because of the huge void Biggie is going to leave and Ewing is more equipped at the 4 than Wheeler. Wheeler definitely is a stud but I think his production won't take off until Vince is gone. Not sure if Stefanovic should even be on the list. I could see him being a RS.

Darius Thompson leaving uva as a 5th year option

I saw that Marial Shayok and reserve Jarred Reuter are leaving UVA as well. Perhaps they've come to the conclusion that deliberately playing the slowest tempo offense in DI doesn't lead to great success in the NCAA Tournament.

Add Chase Jeter to the list from Duke. Granted he has to sit out a year so yeah never mind.

This sounds like something that we could actually use and there's the Cal/Cuonzo connection assuming, of course, Cuonzo isn't taking him to Missouri.

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account@JonRothstein 17m17 minutes ago
Cal's Kameron Rooks will graduate and transfer, per a source. Eligible immediately for next season. 7-2 big man averaged 4.9 PPG & 4.5 RPG.

2 replies21 retweets12 likes

Reactions: IUhoops125
Any 6'4" point guards that can play defense, hit free throws and wide open threes, and not turn the ball over?

Darius Thompson and Geno Thorpe are probably the two available transfers that are closest to that.

I think D. Thompson's shooting needs to improve but it's also hard to tell whether or not playing in a system like Tony Bennett's at Virginia affects some players' numbers, such as number of high-percentage shots taken. I know that I've seen D. Thompson make some athletic plays (drive and dunks, etc.) while at Virginia and he appears to be a legit 6'3/6'4 and he has a good wingspan as well. He's definitely worth taking a look at and contacting.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So I'm a nerd about data and I put all the info from verbal commits into a spreadsheet to see what is out there.

Our biggest issue is potentially a backup center or big man.

Between PF and C there are 12 immediately available. 5 C and 7 PF

Most seem small and the biggest being Rooks.

Not anything of interesting in my opinion

So I'm a nerd about data and I put all the info from verbal commits into a spreadsheet to see what is out there.

Our biggest issue is potentially a backup center or big man.

Between PF and C there are 12 immediately available. 5 C and 7 PF

Most seem small and the biggest being Rooks.

Not anything of interesting in my opinion

There will be about 500 more outgoing transfers in the next several months, so there's still a lot of time to see if a quality frontcourt player (preferably an athletic shot-blocker with some other skills) becomes available in the transfer market.

There will be about 500 more outgoing transfers in the next several months, so there's still a lot of time to see if a quality frontcourt player (preferably an athletic shot-blocker with some other skills) becomes available in the transfer market.
I'll add it to my spreadsheet when it becomes available.

I hope we at least called Chase Jeter and told him he would look good in gold and black

I'll add it to my spreadsheet when it becomes available.

I hope we at least called Chase Jeter and told him he would look good in gold and black

Maybe they'll do it.

I realized we're getting away from my main topic theme but I think I'll adjust it to include all available transfers.

Maybe they'll do it.

I realized we're getting away from my main topic theme but I think I'll adjust it to include all available transfers.
Sorry got caught daydreaming.

In all seriousness my numbers I posted earlier were only for immediate transfers. I don't see any point to wasting a scholarship if they can't play immediately.

Mark Donnal is available now according to ESPN. Big but lanky. I'd rather not getting him since we already have enough of his type and he averaged only 5.3 mins this season. I'd like a solid center. But if Haas can be consistent we won't have to worry about that.

Mark Donnal is available now according to ESPN. Big but lanky. I'd rather not getting him since we already have enough of his type and he averaged only 5.3 mins this season. I'd like a solid center. But if Haas can be consistent we won't have to worry about that.

I'd pass on him. If Painter and company add a transfer or two, they need to be proven players that are highly likely to be immediate-impact guys. A tall (think in the 6'9 to 6'11 range), athletic shot-blocker/rim-protector with good foot speed would be an ideal profile for one of the targets.

Last edited:
Reactions: StickPurdue
I saw that Marial Shayok and reserve Jarred Reuter are leaving UVA as well. Perhaps they've come to the conclusion that deliberately playing the slowest tempo offense in DI doesn't lead to great success in the NCAA Tournament.

Only saw Shayok play in the tournament but he looked like the best player on the court. He was aggressive and hitting some good shots. Looked like he had the killer instinct we are lacking.

Reactions: nagemj02
It's already beginning with many teams' seasons ending with losses in their conference tournaments.

This will be the source I go to the most often to see the news of transfers:

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017

The first player I've seen so far that Purdue might want to take a hard look at: G Geno Thorpe (played his two seasons at Penn State and this past season at South Florida):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66192/geno-thorpe

The knock on him would be that he hasn't played on winning teams. The good thing about him is that he seems to be getting better every season that he plays, plus he has good height/length for a guard. He also must have had the ball in his hands quite a bit this season, seeing that he averaged 4.6 APG.

I'm not saying that he will be one of "the best" transfers available that fills a need for Purdue next season, just that he's good enough to deserve some interest.
BRYCE ALFORD!

Cameron "Cam" Johnson (6'7/6'8, 200/210 lbs.) is transferring from Pittsburgh. He redshirted after about 10 games in his freshman season, so as a RS junior, he will be immediately eligible next season. I'm not sure how strong his guard skills really are at this point. He might be more of a 3 than a guard. His shooting numbers from this past season were similar to Vince Edwards'. If he's really a guard, he's definitely a tall one. Hopefully he is one and possesses good ball skills:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3138196/cameron-Johnson

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3138196/year/2017/cameron-johnson

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017

Last edited:
As of right now, of the immediately eligible transfers, these are the four that I think would be worthwhile for the coaching staff to contact:

1. Elijah Brown 6'4 G (RS Sr.) (Butler/New Mexico) (left-handed shooter)
2. Darius Thompson 6'4 PG (RS Sr.) (Tennessee/Virginia)
3. Cameron Johnson 6'7 CG/SF (RS Jr.) (Pittsburgh)
4. Trevor Thompson 6'11 C (RS Sr.) (Virginia Tech/Ohio State) (this is assuming that he takes his name out of the draft and then subsequently decides to transfer)

I think Geno Thorpe (6'3/6'4 PG/SG) (RS. Sr.) (Penn State/South Florida) might be worth contacting as well, except he's not listed as being immediately eligible at this juncture. Perhaps he will get a degree in May.

1. Eastern
2. Wheeler
3. Ewing (JC transfer)
4. Haarms
5. Stefanovic

I think they can all be good players.....it might take awhile. As Juniors they likely will be good solid B1G players.... save the juco who you would think would be more ready.

If Purdue is really fortunate a couple end up like CE where they contribute alot right away which is not typical for many frosh MP recruits......but if they do that is just gravy and will make Purdue tough again next year.

Reactions: nagemj02
I'm curious ... and NOT supporting him being a great add ... just truly curious ... what is your take on Kerem Kanter --- Linc Darner is his coach ... FWTW ... 6' 10" 240 averaged 11.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in 19.1 minutes per game. He recorded nine double-doubles, an impressive amount considering he did not start until about halfway through the season. He probably will not get drafted.

His best game came on the road against eventual conference champion Northern Kentucky on February 9; he registered 23 points, 14 rebounds, and three assists in the two point defeat.

I'm curious ... and NOT supporting him being a great add ... just truly curious ... what is your take on Kerem Kanter --- Linc Darner is his coach ... FWTW ... 6' 10" 240 averaged 11.3 points and 6.3 rebounds in 19.1 minutes per game. He recorded nine double-doubles, an impressive amount considering he did not start until about halfway through the season. He probably will not get drafted.

His best game came on the road against eventual conference champion Northern Kentucky on February 9; he registered 23 points, 14 rebounds, and three assists in the two point defeat.
I hope Painter has been in touch with Linc to get the scoop. I think he would be a great addition. Not sure if he is a traditional C or a hybrid?

I hope Painter has been in touch with Linc to get the scoop. I think he would be a great addition. Not sure if he is a traditional C or a hybrid?
thanks ... I can't imagine Linc hasn't been in touch .... I don't know either, but if we want to stick a finger in a hole ...this seems like a decent one - finger, not hole

thanks ... I can't imagine Linc hasn't been in touch .... I don't know either, but if we want to stick a finger in a hole ...this seems like a decent one - finger, not hole
Lulz on the finger/hole

I'm also wondering with New Mexico during their coach if that opens up Chris Sodom. We were after him for a while but then again he was going to be a project player.

I'm going to make a tweak to the thread title again.

Even though they played side-by-side (particularly in the '90-'91 season after Woody Austin became academically ineligible and Loren Clyburn and Rich Mount transferred after the first semester), I think Darner favors more of a free offense (shot-selection wise) than Painter (although Painter is more lenient on this at times). So, they might have to work out some minor philosophical differences if Darner would be interested and Painter hired him.

Last edited:

I don't know that he would make Purdue any better when it comes to defending around the basket(s) (ex: he's not a shot-blocker/rim-protector) but he would be another player capable of being a respectable scorer and rebounder:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3154807/kerem-kanter

Assuming Brandon McCoy's (consensus 5-star) interest is legit, of the remaining frontcourt prospects currently being mentioned for 2017, would you guys/gals rather have him, Malik Ondigo (looks like he's a legit shot-blocker), or someone else (i.e. scenarios where guys like Trevor Thompson or Chris Sodom become available)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT