ADVERTISEMENT

Available Transfers, Decommitments, and Unsigned Prospects Thread

Assuming Brandon McCoy's (consensus 5-star) interest is legit, of the remaining frontcourt prospects currently being mentioned for 2017, would you guys/gals rather have him, Malik Ondigo (looks like he's a legit shot-blocker), or someone else (i.e. scenarios where guys like Trevor Thompson or Chris Sodom become available)?
I don't know enough about them to choose. My priorities would be:
1. Contribute Lane and P&R defense and shot blocking right away - quick feet and long wingspan
2. Be enough of a threat to score that requires that the opposition defend him
3. Be more than one-and-done (the better he is at 1 and 2, the less important this is).

Assuming Brandon McCoy's (consensus 5-star) interest is legit, of the remaining frontcourt prospects currently being mentioned for 2017, would you guys/gals rather have him, Malik Ondigo (looks like he's a legit shot-blocker), or someone else (i.e. scenarios where guys like Trevor Thompson or Chris Sodom become available)?

McCoy no question. Adding another 5 star, McDAA to this team with their potential to go far in the tourney looks good to recruits. Maybe it breaks down a door we haven't been able to get through under Painter and leads to more 5 stars being willing to come here for a year or two. We've got a great base of players imo over the next 3 or 4 years and adding top tier talent to that base could take us to a final 4 and beyond. I like the thought of adding Thompson who will only be here a season or McCoy who may only be here for a couple years. The Thompson addition has grown on me because he's obviously a guy we wanted after his initial transfer and I do think Purdue could use his defensive skills immediately in the paint. Thompson had some talent but played really stupid at times for OSU picking up lots of bad fouls. I think we can clean him up a little bit and eliminate some of those poor mistakes. If Taylor was healthy I'd be okay with Ondigo because we could redshirt him and give him some time to develop a little bit. If Taylor isn't healthy I don't know how much adding Ondigo will help to next years team.

McCoy no question. Adding another 5 star, McDAA to this team with their potential to go far in the tourney looks good to recruits. Maybe it breaks down a door we haven't been able to get through under Painter and leads to more 5 stars being willing to come here for a year or two. We've got a great base of players imo over the next 3 or 4 years and adding top tier talent to that base could take us to a final 4 and beyond. I like the thought of adding Thompson who will only be here a season or McCoy who may only be here for a couple years. The Thompson addition has grown on me because he's obviously a guy we wanted after his initial transfer and I do think Purdue could use his defensive skills immediately in the paint. Thompson had some talent but played really stupid at times for OSU picking up lots of bad fouls. I think we can clean him up a little bit and eliminate some of those poor mistakes. If Taylor was healthy I'd be okay with Ondigo because we could redshirt him and give him some time to develop a little bit. If Taylor isn't healthy I don't know how much adding Ondigo will help to next years team.
Great analysis ... I'll support these thoughts

Yep. I think Thompson is our best 5 backup option at this point.

I would think Ondigo would have even more opportunities to help next season's team if Taylor isn't healthy (assuming Ondigo's the first player to commit to Purdue for 2017, out of the current bigs being recruited).

I would think Ondigo would have even more opportunities to help next season's team if Taylor isn't healthy (assuming Ondigo's the first player to commit to Purdue for 2017, out of the current bigs being recruited).
He'd have the opportunity, but would he have the ability to contribute is the question. Seems like a developmental guy to me.

He'd have the opportunity, but would he have the ability to contribute is the question. Seems like a developmental guy to me.

Ondigo looks better than Taylor in the footage I've seen of him. I think he would definitely provide a shot-blocking presence right away. I don't know how good he is or isn't in the other fundamentals but that's the one area that shouldn't be a problem for him.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Ondigo looks better than Taylor in the footage I've seen of him. I think he would definitely provide a shot-blocking presence right away. I don't know how good he is or isn't in the other fundamentals but that's the one area that shouldn't be a problem for him.

The big IF for me is whether Taylor can stay healthy or not to contribute. It isn't whether or not he has the talent to. I agree mostly with OB52 that he has the talent to really help us out. He has shown flashes in videos and in his brief times of playing of providing something to the team we don't currently have. He can stretch the defense knocking down some outside shots and he also has the athleticism to finish at the rim and be a legitimate shot blocker inside. He was the type of player we may have been missing against teams like Michigan who had big men who could take us outside and beat Haas and Biggie off the dribble. He's also been going up against Hammons/Haas/Biggie the past few years in practice and that experience alone shouldn't be undersold. According to Biggie, Taylor takes practice very seriously and is determined to succeed. Not having him available hurt us more than I think people realize with Biggie and Haas having to lighten up on defense due to only have 2 real post men on the team and attempting to stay out of foul trouble.

The big IF for me is whether Taylor can stay healthy or not to contribute. It isn't whether or not he has the talent to. I agree mostly with OB52 that he has the talent to really help us out. He has shown flashes in videos and in his brief times of playing of providing something to the team we don't currently have. He can stretch the defense knocking down some outside shots and he also has the athleticism to finish at the rim and be a legitimate shot blocker inside. He was the type of player we may have been missing against teams like Michigan who had big men who could take us outside and beat Haas and Biggie off the dribble. He's also been going up against Hammons/Haas/Biggie the past few years in practice and that experience alone shouldn't be undersold. According to Biggie, Taylor takes practice very seriously and is determined to succeed. Not having him available hurt us more than I think people realize with Biggie and Haas having to lighten up on defense due to only have 2 real post men on the team and attempting to stay out of foul trouble.

I guess what I'm trying to convey is that IF they don't get McCoy and Trevor Thompson doesn't end up being in play, I would most likely want Ondigo at this point, regardless of whether or not Jacquil Taylor will be healthy next season.

We'll see. The clips I've seen of Ondigo have been mostly against pretty poor competition.

McCoy is a long shot, so much that we were only mentioned as an after thought outside of his top 5. Painter should visit and go all in on McCoy. One big sell. If it doesn't work, then he should move on and Ondigo should be the focus. They need an athletic rim protector and Ondigo very well could be that guy. If he could do enough to start and make a difference, I am not sure, but that is what Purdue needs. I sure hope he is, but even if he isn't ready to go as a Freshman, he will develop into a very nice player and a nice piece for the future. McCoy is ideal. He would immediately make Purdue a legit national contender, but it is not realistic to think we can land him this late in the game.

Reactions: nagemj02
Apparently, Painter has rejected Trevor Thompson's interest, so he's effectively off-the-radar.

bigs on-the-radar or within the realm of possibility:

1. Brandon McCoy
2. Jeremiah Tillmon
3. Malik Ondigo
4. Chris Sodom

Also, if SS goes prep next year and there's another scholly available, here's an immediately eligible guard/wing transfer of note that's popped up in the last day or two: 6'5 Mark Alstork

Game Log from this past season: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/67036/mark-alstork

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67036/mark-alstork

I believe Alstork and Darius Thompson (Virginia) are the two grad transfers that currently best fit the criteria some of us would like to see in adding a guard for next season. Alstork would need to cut down on the turnovers, but I think his fouling would reduce simply from the increased level of talent he would have surrounding him on the court.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Apparently, Painter has rejected Trevor Thompson's interest, so he's effectively off-the-radar.

1. Brandon McCoy
2. Jeremiah Tillmon
3. Malik Ondigo
4. Chris Sodom

Also, if SS goes prep next year and there's another scholly available, here's an immediately eligible guard/wing transfer of note that's popped up in the last day or two: 6'5 Mark Alstork

Game Log from this past season: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/67036/mark-alstork

I believe Alstork and Darius Thompson (Virginia) are the two grad transfers that currently best fit the criteria some of us would like to see in adding a guard for next season. Alstork would need to cut down on the turnovers, but I think his fouling would reduce simply from the increased level of talent he would have surrounding him on the court.

I will give you credit that you didn't say his fouling would reduce once we switch to zone defenses. But no, let's just hope we get McCoy and move on.

Reactions: rezzerfly

1. Brandon McCoy
2. Jeremiah Tillmon
3. Malik Ondigo
4. Chris Sodom

1. We haven't offered McCoy and doubt we will
2. Tilmon will end up at Missouri - Zo will use that ESL connection
3. Most likely to accept if Biggie doesn't come back
4. He hasn't asked for a release and not sure we need another project Big

Let's just stop with the McCoy nonsense. He isn't coming and we haven't offered.

Reactions: OldNavyBoiler
1. We haven't offered McCoy and doubt we will
2. Tilmon will end up at Missouri - Zo will use that ESL connection
3. Most likely to accept if Biggie doesn't come back
4. He hasn't asked for a release and not sure we need another project Big

Let's just stop with the McCoy nonsense. He isn't coming and we haven't offered.

If he mentioned Purdue (no matter in what way), there's no proof you can use to dispel it. Until we get some type of update on or clarification from McCoy, his comment can't be ruled out as "nonsense".

If he mentioned Purdue (no matter in what way), there's no proof you can use to dispel it. Until we get some type of update on or clarification from McCoy, his comment can't be ruled out as "nonsense".

Sorry Nag but there hasn't been anything since that 1 quote by 1 source.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer but time to move on.

that wasn't my point at all. it's a given Haarms had to enroll Purdue or else he'd lose a year of eligibility. my point was that according to everybody Haarms and Epperson are very similar in build and position and talent level. if you were Painter and you could only have one of the two on your team, which would you prefer, and which do you believe would prepare the player to become a better player ? What would be your choice ??? if you only had one scholarship to give?

Haarms coming to Purdue early and practicing and training with the team, but in doing so missing an entire year of playing competitive basketball games ? or Epperson. who got to play an entire season at one of the best prep schools in the country alongside some very talented players ?

Given their size, talent and position are approximately the same, which player do you believe will be the better player and ready to contribute in December, 2017 ? I'm going to assume both players would benefit from practicing with Purdue this Summer ? I'm personally leaning on Epperson playing a season of completive ball at a prep school over Haarms arriving early and redshirting this semester and practicing with the team. but I'm not sure and seeking input as to what you believe would be more beneficial. Actual live game participation at the prep level ? or practicing with the team at college?

or in other words who would you rather have? Epperson or Haarms ? When Painter first started recruiting both players last fall, they were about equal. Do you believe the y are still equal ? and if one is better, which one, and why? Which player has developed more in the past year ?
If you could go ahead and refrain from asking 13 questions in a single post, that would be great. Yeeeah...

You've given up pretty quickly.
If you have proof we are in the running and have a shot - please do share.

I would love for Painter to somehow pull this off but just not seeing it and from everything I have access to - I don't think it is in the realm of possibility.

Trust me - I hate Izzo and would love for Painter to return the favor for a lot of misses.

Ondigo's coach said he is not a rim protector. If he isn't a shot-blocker in high school at 6-10, then it's unlikely he will provide it right away as a freshman in the Big Ten.

I see the lack of an offer to McCoy as more of a formality.

The bigger question is.. Do you believe Painter is headed for a quick fix and will sign a grad transfer to replace Biggie ? or will he go after a remaining high school stud? or will he do the unexpected, and just book the scholarship for 2018? I'm not really sold on Haarms as being our future big man in the paint. he reminds me more of Toni Kukoc and Dirk then he does a dominant guy inside the paint. Is this Taylor's last year? or does he have two left?

I'm of the opinion Painter will replace Biggie with an incoming high school player. I'd hate to believe that Zo would be able to out recruit Painter for Tilmon. And I'd sure love to see Painter work some magic to sign Tilmon or McCoy.

Any love for Bowen ? he sure is taking a long time making his decision. I realize Purdue has previously shown little interest in him. and he has shown zero interest in Purdue.

Ondigo would be a good signing for the future. if we don't sign Ondigo, I don't really like our current 2018 Big man offers/targets.

The bigger question is.. Do you believe Painter is headed for a quick fix and will sign a grad transfer to replace Biggie ? or will he go after a remaining high school stud? or will he do the unexpected, and just book the scholarship for 2018? I'm not really sold on Haarms as being our future big man in the paint. he reminds me more of Toni Kukoc and Dirk then he does a dominant guy inside the paint. Is this Taylor's last year? or does he have two left?

I'm of the opinion Painter will replace Biggie with an incoming high school player. I'd hate to believe that Zo would be able to out recruit Painter for Tilmon. And I'd sure love to see Painter work some magic to sign Tilmon or McCoy.

Any love for Bowen ? he sure is taking a long time making his decision. I realize Purdue has previously shown little interest in him. and he has shown zero interest in Purdue.

Ondigo would be a good signing for the future. if we don't sign Ondigo, I don't really like our current 2018 Big man offers/targets.
Tilmon is from ESL - Zo's hometown. Painter has 0 chance

Taylor has two years (possibly three if he doesn't get hurt anymore and is granted a sixth season) left.

Right now, it certainly seems like Painter is looking mostly (or completely) at long forwards/posts out of HS/prep as opposed to transfers of any kind. Someone on the board reported in the past week that OSU's Trevor Thompson reached out to Painter in some way, showing interest in possibly transferring to Purdue but Painter was not interested in having him.

Two names popped up while cruising through the Illinois web site. Kansas PF/C Bragg is transferring and was looking at Illinois. he was a 5 star big that Croce recruited hard out of high school. he's had a couple of off the court issues at Kansas similar to Basil and Cline. and he's looking for a fresh start. I have to believe Painter would be able to sell Purdue as a better alternative than Illinois. Besides Tilmon being given his release, Illinois 3 star SF Javon Pickett was also given his release. he received an offer from WKU within 10 mins of his release, and was also looking at St Louis. Any interest in Pickett?

Bragg might have to sit out a year, but he has the talent to be better than our current 2018 big men targets.

Two names popped up while cruising through the Illinois web site. Kansas PF/C Bragg is transferring and was looking at Illinois. he was a 5 star big that Croce recruited hard out of high school. he's had a couple of off the court issues at Kansas similar to Basil and Cline. and he's looking for a fresh start. I have to believe Painter would be able to sell Purdue as a better alternative than Illinois. Besides Tilmon being given his release, Illinois 3 star SF Javon Pickett was also given his release. he received an offer from WKU within 10 mins of his release, and was also looking at St Louis. Any interest in Pickett?

Bragg might have to sit out a year, but he has the talent to be better than our current 2018 big men targets.

I'm not sure that Bragg does have the talent to be an upgrade and I'm not sure that he would be worth the trouble either. Purdue could use a shot-blocker/rim protector for next season (or beyond) but in his two seasons at Kansas, he averaged 0.2 and 0.5 BPG: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3919336/carlton-bragg-jr.

Personally, I don't want him at Purdue, but who knows how the recruiting will shake out this offseason.

So, at this point, it looks like Malik Ondigo and Garrison Brooks are the frontrunners for the coveted 2017 frontcourt spot, correct? Brandon McCoy, Jeremiah Tillmon, and Chris Sodom are still possible but less likely.

As far as the possibility of Sasha Stefanovic going to prep school for a year (the same thing Spike Albrecht did after graduating from Crown Point), if he does so and the coaching staff wants to add an impact guard to further strengthen the backcourt, these four immediately eligible grad transfers would be my top four choices of that variety (at this point in time):

1. Mark Alstork (6'5 190): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/67036/mark-alstork (would have to learn how to cut down on turnovers but by the same token, Purdue wouldn't have to rely on his scoring and ball-handling duties as much as Wright State did).

2. Markel Crawford (6'5 205): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66593/markel-crawford

3. Darius Thompson (6'4 195): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66274/darius-Thompson

4. Elijah Brown (6'4 200) (left-handed shooter): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66158/elijah-brown

So, at this point, it looks like Malik Ondigo and Garrison Brooks are the frontrunners for the coveted 2017 frontcourt spot, correct? Brandon McCoy, Jeremiah Tillmon, and Chris Sodom are still possible but less likely.

As far as the possibility of Sasha Stefanovic going to prep school for a year (the same thing Spike Albrecht did after graduating from Crown Point), if he does so and the coaching staff wants to add an impact guard to further strengthen the backcourt, these four immediately eligible grad transfers would be my top four choices of that variety (at this point in time):

1. Mark Alstork (6'5 190): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/67036/mark-alstork (would have to learn how to cut down on turnovers but by the same token, Purdue wouldn't have to rely on his scoring and ball-handling duties as much as Wright State did).

2. Markel Crawford (6'5 205): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66593/markel-crawford

3. Darius Thompson (6'4 195): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66274/darius-Thompson

4. Elijah Brown (6'4 200) (left-handed shooter): http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/66158/elijah-brown
I'd say Sodom is more likely than Brooks at this point given the competition for their services.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
I just saw that Crawford has chosen Mississippi for his next school, so he's crossed off the list.

I'd like to see Alstork in gold & black. I think if he's offered, he will take it.

Boiler Up

I read that Geno Thorpe (6'3 180) (Penn State/South Florida) IS in fact going to be a grad transfer, so he's another player for the staff to consider if Sasha Stefanovic goes the prep school route.

3 * C 7' 250 ' Cameron Rooks of California looks kind of interesting . He's immediately available as a grad transfer. Will he follow Zo to Missouri? .

4* C 6'10 260 Jethro Tshiumpa of Arizona St is not immediate, but would be ready after Haas left. We don't really need him for next year.

4* C 7' 265 Dante Williams of Kansas St would also have to sit out a year.

4.7* PF 6'9 Bragg of Kansas was discussed in a different thread. Somebody else didn't want to touch him, although Illinois was interested.

5* PF 6'10 230 Chase Jeter of Duke is one I'd want. he's also not immediately available.

This brings up a decision point. Do we need a big man for this year? from others' posts, the answer appears to be no. It appears Taylor, Ewing, and Haarms are going to get very few minutes as back-ups. it was also pointed out Ondigo would most likely be a project and possibly red-shirted. To me that would suggest rather than signing a project who needs a year to develop, we should look at signing a 4-5 star transfer, and have that player watch and learn and take over for Haas when he leaves. To me, that would make Jeter, Bragg, Williams, and Tshiumpa very attractive. They are all a lot more talented than our current 2018 big man targets, and they are better than our 2017 big man targets Ondigo and Sodom. They could come here and essentially red shirt this year and be ready to play next year. . Something to consider.

3 * C 7' 250 ' Cameron Rooks of California looks kind of interesting . He's immediately available as a grad transfer. Will he follow Zo to Missouri? .

4* C 6'10 260 Jethro Tshiumpa of Arizona St is not immediate, but would be ready after Haas left. We don't really need him for next year.

4* C 7' 265 Dante Williams of Kansas St would also have to sit out a year.

4.7* PF 6'9 Bragg of Kansas was discussed in a different thread. Somebody else didn't want to touch him, although Illinois was interested.

5* PF 6'10 230 Chase Jeter of Duke is one I'd want. he's also not immediately available.

This brings up a decision point. Do we need a big man for this year? from others' posts, the answer appears to be no. It appears Taylor, Ewing, and Haarms are going to get very few minutes as back-ups. it was also pointed out Ondigo would most likely be a project and possibly red-shirted. To me that would suggest rather than signing a project who needs a year to develop, we should look at signing a 4-5 star transfer, and have that player watch and learn and take over for Haas when he leaves. To me, that would make Jeter, Bragg, Williams, and Tshiumpa very attractive. They are all a lot more talented than our current 2018 big man targets, and they are better than our 2017 big man targets Ondigo and Sodom. They could come here and essentially red shirt this year and be ready to play next year. . Something to consider.

Those options are better than Ondigo and Sodom, but I don't think they are better than Garrison Brooks, the decomit from Mississippi State. He has us in his top four. A lot of big time school offers like Kansas and UNC. Garrison is the best realistic option. If realistic isn't a factor for you, it's McCoy as the best option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT