ADVERTISEMENT

Atrocious

Oof. Not concerned?

This loss — the way it happened — is really concerning for me.

Refs in the tourney will swallow their whistles to favor guard play. Just like they did today.
On the road in the Big Ten teams lose games. I know this, I wasn’t expecting to be 12-3 in the league at this point. Purdue’s guards played bad today, if they play like this they’ll lose in the sweet 16 again, did many have them going that far in the preseason? Look, I love Purdue hoops, been a major part of my life for probably 40 years, when they play bad the losses don’t hurt that much. As for fouls in the tourney, they’ll call them more than the Big Ten does, Zach will shoot lots of free throws, Purdue’s success will depend on turnovers and outside shooting, both weren’t good today.

Congrats to NW.

The refs are going to allow this until someone gets hurt (aka Haas) I guess?

But long term this is very good practice for Purdue. They have to learn how to fight through this. They will see it EVERY game the rest of the way. First, better coach em up & make team adjustments. Second, for sure work the refs better CMP. Third, if they are allowing rough play, get rough yourself.
This.
From here on out, Purdue MUST play with a GARGANTUAN chip on its shoulder, expecting to be hosed….

It’s ridiculous but we haven’t earned even a modicum of respect— we need to take that out on everyone from here on out.

On the road in the Big Ten teams lose games. I know this, I was expecting to be 12-3 in the league at this point. Purdue’s guards played bad today, if they play like this they’ll lose in the sweet 16 again, did many have them going that far in the preseason? Look, I love Purdue hoops, been a major part of my life for probably 40 years, when they play bad the losses don’t hurt that much. As for fouls in the tourney, they’ll call them more than the Big Ten does, Zach will shoot lots of free throws, Purdue’s success will depend on turnovers and outside shooting, both weren’t good today.
You’re probably 60 and referring to the 1980’s with that mentality

Lol, are you serious?

Maybe because that's the biggest reason they lost...didn't control what they could.
My point is not to troll:

Painter is a class act, doesn’t lie or sugarcoat, and is a spot on analyst of what really happened. 13 second half turnovers and Audige, who missed 8 of 9 threes, finally connecting is largely what happened.

Painter did not even mention fouls or physicality because, until Purdue fouled in the last minute to force free throws, the refs called three more fouls on NW than Purdue. From a neutral observer the refs were fine, but NW missed a ton of open shots until they didn’t, and Purdue turned it over 13 times in the second half.

By March, many freshmen are said to “become sophomores.” That’s what Purdue needs in my opinion. The Purdue freshman guards will benefit from being in supercharged environments IMO.

Peace

Last edited:
Outscored 17-3 in last 4 mins
That’s not on the refs…
It was because the refs set the tone. NW literally started “The Edey rules” today. It completely took us out of our game. Painter should have gotten a tech this game. Idk how he keeps his composure. The worst is when we were up by 1 and edey gets clobbered leading to a turnover and the they get a bs ticky tack call. Not to mention the no calls for smith and loyer.

Officials did not lose this game, we turned it over 13 times in 2nd half and maybe all but 2 of those had nothing to do with officiating. Got to be smarter and stronger with ball , this is not High school. Loyer and Smith played like frosh that were scared and intimidated.

It was because the refs set the tone. NW literally started “The Edey rules” today. It completely took us out of our game. Painter should have gotten a tech this game. Idk how he keeps his composure. The worst is when we were up by 1 and edey gets clobbered leading to a turnover and the they get a bs ticky tack call. Not to mention the no calls for smith and loyer.
u think when Audig took the ball right away from Loyer, he was fouled? Did not think that at all, this is not high school.

On the road in the Big Ten teams lose games. I know this, I wasn’t expecting to be 12-3 in the league at this point. Purdue’s guards played bad today, if they play like this they’ll lose in the sweet 16 again, did many have them going that far in the preseason? Look, I love Purdue hoops, been a major part of my life for probably 40 years, when they play bad the losses don’t hurt that much. As for fouls in the tourney, they’ll call them more than the Big Ten does, Zach will shoot lots of free throws, Purdue’s success will depend on turnovers and outside shooting, both weren’t good today.
Why are we still using the preseason as a metric for expectations?

Clearly, the preseason expectations were WAY OFF.

Anything less than a Final Four is a massive letdown for this team and for this program.

Let’s have the balls to say it.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You are the stupid one, we have to play better and with more poise. Smith was awful the 2nd half.
Because the officiating took him out of the game. Northwestern was TRYING to foul and BEGGING the refs to call it, we were trying NOT to foul. Foul count 17-17

Complete BS Big Ten road officiating and it needs to stop!

u think when Audig took the ball right away from Loyer, he was fouled? Did not think that at all, this is not high school.
That was fine. I’m talking about edey being absolutely destroyed the whole game. Which leads to hesitation and tentativeness which leads to turnovers. The refs were not letting Purdue be physical at all. I guarantee you Collins told his players to foul Purdue the whole game and dare the refs. Especially on a day that NWU is the “media darling” going for the big upset on black history month appreciation day at the school. It’s such bullshir.

c'mon, we gotta play better. Matt said same after game.
Of course Matt said said that, that’s what a head coach is supposed to say.

You had to be watching a different game, didn’t watch the game, or just completely not understand the game.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
You are the stupid one, we have to play better and with more poise. Smith was awful the 2nd half.
Agree to point, but when Zach has 6 of those 16 TO's and is consistently asking for a foul and getting hit repeatedly on his arms during a kick out. It's common he gets fouled. Their guards got aggressive to force the refs to call it and make our guards play frustrated....it worked. To say don't blame the "refs" is just not right.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Zaphod_B
c'mon, we gotta play better. Matt said same after game.
And refs need to ref better. You watched the game and commentators made multiple conversations about calls that should have been called. Those are the same commentators that are paid from the B1G just as the refs. What's that tell you??

That was fine. I’m talking about edey being absolutely destroyed the whole game. Which leads to hesitation and tentativeness which leads to turnovers. The refs were not letting Purdue be physical at all. I guarantee you Collins told his players to foul Purdue the whole game and dare the refs. Especially on a day that NWU is the “media darling” going for the big upset on black history month appreciation day at the school. It’s such bullshir.
Probably true , but gonna happen rest of way out. Zach has to be stronger with ball and quicker with decisions. Refs are not gonna call every foul.

Reactions: CharlotteSimmons
And refs need to ref better. You watched the game and commentators made multiple conversations about calls that should have been called. Those are the same commentators that are paid from the B1G just as the refs. What's that tell you??
always gonna happen on road, gotta be stronger and more poised with the ball.

Reactions: CharlotteSimmons
You got to know basketball to understand. When you start getting hacked, not getting fouls you get frustrated and try to force things. Coming from Zach and CMP both complaining about non calls tells me what you don't understand. Yes, we lost but it was because the refs allowed them to be overly aggressive. It's not surprising. You could see the change of what they were allowing and our team reacted in frustration instead of calm heads. It happens.....
Hopefully one day I'll get to know basketball.

Don't remember 'frustration' ever working with coaches as a legit excuse on why they throw the ball out of bounds or to the other team, or jumping in the air and then trying to find a place to land a pass.

But again, what do I know..

always gonna happen on road, gotta be stronger and more poised with the ball.
Don't disagree, but the refs need to do a better job as well. You can disagree with them doing their job properly but thats wrong. It's been proven throughout history home teams get calls vs road teams. Why is that? Did they just become a better team? No, it's called home cooking for a reason. Call the game the right way and become better refs.

Agree to point, but when Zach has 6 of those 16 TO's and is consistently asking for a foul and getting hit repeatedly on his arms during a kick out. It's common he gets fouled. Their guards got aggressive to force the refs to call it and make our guards play frustrated....it worked. To say don't blame the "refs" is just not right.
Poor us? Life in Big 10, be better.

Reactions: MetMyWifeAtHarrys
Bingo!

Of course Matt said said that, that’s what a head coach is supposed to say.

You had to be watching a different game, didn’t watch the game, or just completely not understand the game.
I understand the game obviously much more than you. Matt said on radio Zach got fouled 90 times in the game and they called 9 of them. But that is going to be the way it is, even in tourney.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
You have probably said that for last 20 years and it has not changed, we have to adjust to it and play thru it, be the stronger team.

Reactions: Boiler8285
We did a good job running offense on the 12 wide open threes in a row we missed. Except we missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT