ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadeezra

Senior
Dec 30, 2006
all likely to Indiana , good hire for them . Better way better than Crean , could turn out great but not the slam dunk many had hoped for.

Personally I see great things in their future with him , but that's just my opinion

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago
all likely to Indiana , good hire for them . Better way better than Crean , could turn out great but not the slam dunk many had hoped for.

Personally I see great things in their future with him , but that's just my opinion
I don't think he's an upgrade from Crean at all. I don't see them hiring him, but maybe I missed something.

Edit: just saw that on Twitter. Very surprised they go in this direction.

Last edited:
I don't think he's an upgrade from Crean at all. I don't see them hiring him, but maybe I missed something.

It's a done deal basically and yes he's a huge upgrade over Crean . Crean didn't get a few basic concepts of bball

It's a done deal basically and yes he's a huge upgrade over Crean . Crean didn't get a few basic concepts of bball
He was on my "please hire him list". I was afraid they would get Donovan, Stevens or Mack. Mack scared me the most. I didn't think they really had a chance with the other 2. I put Miller in with the Alford, Fife group. Gregg Marshall would have concerned me also, but I figured his wife blew any chance of that.

Reactions: moneyadvisor

Edit: just saw that on Twitter. Very surprised they go in this direction.

Plan B after Alford I assume. His 100% no interest statement ended that. Miller seems to be the opposite of Crean in demeanor and they wanted to stay as far from weird as possible. Stevens must of had no interest or they would have thrown the bank at him. Miller seems like a good guy but I am surprised that it's the next pick and happened this fast.

Really good hire by IU. Not an elite hire like Stevens, Donovan, or Marshall would have been. A better hire than Alford would have been. A big, big improvement over Crean.

Yup basically how I feel. I hate to admit it but I'm not wearing blinders here

Reactions: cprh9u
Question for Boiler fans who think this is a bad hire - would we have been able to attract Archie Miller if our job was open?

Question for Boiler fans who think this is a bad hire - would we have been able to attract Archie Miller if our job was open?

Hard saying I say absolutely if the package was presented correctly. Money, contract and resource promises.

Purdue is a top 25 espn all time program and is close to home . I would think absolutely. But count me in on the guys who think this is a good hire for them

Well, funny thing is there are more PU fans who think this a good hire than IU fans...........they have been led around for awhile now into believing it was at least 2 other, maybe 3, candidates. Crean's numbers weren't horrible, but yes it was a better hire. Rebuilding hire........and that stings a bit for IU fans. But I will say that it has brought many of them to earth about the state of their program. No shame in that. Hope our rivalry heats up again.

Reactions: KisteK and jadeezra
Well, funny thing is there are more PU fans who think this a good hire than IU fans...........they have been led around for awhile now into believing it was at least 2 other, maybe 3, candidates. Crean's numbers weren't horrible, but yes it was a better hire. Rebuilding hire........and that stings a bit for IU fans. But I will say that it has brought many of them to earth about the state of their program. No shame in that. Hope our rivalry heats up again.

Okay that was a perfect post well done sir .

Reactions: *4purdue*

What fans would those be?

I'd say 90% of folks on Rivals site are thrilled with the hire. He's always been on top 5 names of lists we've had.

Sure, Donovan would have been great....but most realized that was a long shot at best.

I think we can be very confident that Miller was a second option behind Alford, since this didn't happen until after the UCLA loss and Alford announced he wasn't leaving. They could have had Miller several days ago.

But I agree with the others who believe that Miller is a better hire than Alford.

Translation: Options A, B, C, D.....all said no. Welcome, Archangelo!

I think we easily could have got Miller, but I would have been disappointed if we got him. To me throw the bank at Chris Mack. He's a proven coach, can recruit, and the Xavier connection has worked out well for most that have gone that route. I would want Holtman before Miller.

Funny thing is, about a month ago I was on Peegs and got banned because I was discussing their coaching position. This was before Crean got fired. I told them there was no way they would fire Crean, and if they did they would end up with Fife or a mid major coach. 3 or 4 of them told me I was crazy and IU was Stevens dream job and would take it in a heartbeat. I told them I'd be back to congratulate them if that happens and would love to go back on now and rub it in their faces, but I'm blocked. I may have to make a "reasonable guy" account and go over.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, about a month ago I was on Peegs and got banned because I was discussing their coaching position. This was before Crean got fired. I told them there was no way they would fire Crean, and if they did they would end up with Fife or a mid major coach. A out 3 or 4 of them told me I was crazy and IU was Stevens dream job and would take it in a heartbeat. I told them I'd be back to congratulate them if that happens and would love to go back on now and rub it in their faces, but I'm blocked. I may have to make a "reasonable guy" account and go over.

I don't know a single IU poster that ever thought that Stevens would take the job in a heartbeat. It was well known that was never in the cards.

I don't know a single IU poster that ever thought that Stevens would take the job in a heartbeat. It was well known that was never in the cards.
You must never go on Peegs. There ar several over there that thought he was just waiting for the IU job to open.

Reactions: tjreese
He was on my "please hire him list". I was afraid they would get Donovan, Stevens or Mack. Mack scared me the most. I didn't think they really had a chance with the other 2. I put Miller in with the Alford, Fife group. Gregg Marshall would have concerned me also, but I figured his wife blew any chance of that.
Actually his wife might have fit right in. Wasn't going to get Stevens. Rumor...strictly rumor, but someone that personally knows Crean and in administration at Iu texted last night and said "RUMOR" that Donovan was in town. He stated it was a rumor..now maybe Donovan was and said no or maybe he wasn't. Yeah, Mack would have been one I thought might get it.

I believe that A. Miller is a good hire as a coach for the IU program. However, he is walking into a position with unreasonable expectations from the fan base. I am convinced that is why Alford, Holtmann, Marshall et al, walked on by. I think that he will slightly outperform Crean but that will not be judged as good enough. I do not think that he makes the full seven years that is his contract term.

Mack is a Xavier player and alum. I think that he is quite happy there and has an easy time making the top 3 in the Big East - along with Villanova and Butler. That makes him an almost perennial NCAA participant.

He is well-paid, well-liked and has stability. What is not to like?

Actually his wife might have fit right in. Wasn't going to get Stevens. Rumor...strictly rumor, but someone that personally knows Crean and in administration at Iu texted last night and said "RUMOR" that Donovan was in town. He stated it was a rumor..now maybe Donovan was and said no or maybe he wasn't. Yeah, Mack would have been one I thought might get it.
As soon as Stevens said no, Donovan became flavor of the month. I think they panicked and knew they were going to look bad if all these big names came out and said "no", so they pulled the trigger on Miller.

Miller is a good hire for IU. He is a well respected coach who plays by the rules. I expect IU to be competitive and well coached in a couple years, as his coaching philosophy takes hold. At least he won't be looking like a fool on the court. I also think he will gain back some of the respect from fellow BIG schools, from the Indiana High School programs and AAU clubs that Crean managed to lose. This is actually a better hire than I thought IU would do.

One other note as others above said, this was obviously option at least 4. There's no ifs ands or butts feelers were put out for Stevens, Donovan and Alford. Ultimately Alford said no and this lead to today's events.

There's no way that they didn't want Alford ( sorry iu guys he did turn you down ). We'll never know if there were any other possibilities but I'd wager there were.

I still think it's a fabulous hire. But let's put the koolaide up IU guys. This is definitely not what Glass promised last week. He promised the moon and the sky and settled in for a star. A small star that has the potential to shine

Last edited:
Reactions: *4purdue*
One other note as others above said, this was obviously option at least 4. There's no ifs ands or butts feelers were put out for Stevens, Donovan and Alford. Ultimately Alford said no and this lead to today's events.

There's no way that they didn't want Alford ( sorry iu guys he did turn you down ). We'll never know if there were any other possibilities but I'd wager there were.

I still think it's a fabulous hire. But let's put the koolaide up IU guys. This is definitely not what Glass promised last week. He promised the moon and the sky and settled in for a star. A small star that has the potential to shine

Alford was not wanted by 80% of the fans. Only those stuck in the past wanted anything to do with him or were disappointed. Most were celebrating the late night announcement that he was not going to be the guy.

I do not believe IU offered him the job. I think the negative reaction to his name being floated killed any chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT