ADVERTISEMENT

Archie Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, funny thing is there are more PU fans who think this a good hire than IU fans....

The poll on the board over there shows a 94.1% approval of the hire. So I'd say you're incorrect.

There's no way that they didn't want Alford ( sorry iu guys he did turn you down ).

This I'd have no way of knowing, but having spent the last month following this thing practically 24/7, I'd be surprised if that was the case. I do believe that there was a faction (some donors/IU people) who were pushing hard for Alford, I also think there was an equally strong faction opposed to it. Ultimately I believe it was the Iowa/Pierce thing that forced the Alford contingent to withdraw. This wasn't the hire for a polarizing figure, and Alford presented too much risk in that regard. There were already petition and letter writing campaigns aimed at the BOT.

So I don't think he was offered. And I think his denial last night came about after it was clear IU was going another direction.

But like I said. I wouldn't be in a position to know.

I never thought they'd land Stevens or Donovan. I had hoped they would pick Alford or Fife. I did not want them to get Miller. This is a good hire. And, the thing is, if he stinks, they'll fire him and try again. They want to win and aren't afraid to fail until they land a true winner. They will find one and beat us to another title. They are not screwing around and want to win. Personally, I respect that. I hate them, but respect the fact they want to win. They don't fear hiring over and over til they get it right.

Hey guys...first off as an IU fan I want to say thank you for beating our asses the last couple of years. I've wanted to move on from Crean since year three so, thank you for helping with that.

Now, after a nine year absence, it feels great to want to piss on your heads again.

Better beat us next year because it's going to be a long time before you have the kind of success that you've had recently.

We FINALLY have a solid basketball mind that actually played the game driving the car.

FYI...his brother is one of the best recruiters in the game.
FYI...Archie has recruited in the ACC, the Big 10 and the Pac12 as an assistant.

Dayton has gotten better each year, especially since his elite 8 run.

We're smitten.

Have a nice day.

lol it'll be a long time? Look, I like Archie but Donovan was really the only coach our there who scared me. I think this hire proves that you're not as elite as you thought you were. I think he'll be good but you're kidding yourself if you think you'll start owning us all of a sudden.

Hey guys...first off as an IU fan I want to say thank you for beating our asses the last couple of years. I've wanted to move on from Crean since year three so, thank you for helping with that.

Now, after a nine year absence, it feels great to want to piss on your heads again.

Better beat us next year because it's going to be a long time before you have the kind of success that you've had recently.

We FINALLY have a solid basketball mind that actually played the game driving the car.

FYI...his brother is one of the best recruiters in the game.
FYI...Archie has recruited in the ACC, the Big 10 and the Pac12 as an assistant.

Dayton has gotten better each year, especially since his elite 8 run.

We're smitten.

Have a nice day.

That's so strong I can smell the delusion clear up by Warsaw . Where do you live ?

lol it'll be a long time? Look, I like Archie but Donovan was really the only coach our there who scared me. I think this hire proves that you're not as elite as you thought you were. I think he'll be good but you're kidding yourself if you think you'll start owning us all of a sudden.

I think it will be a combination of two arcs.

You'll have a really good team next year even without biggie but... I don't see the pipeline help just yet.

Gotta give Archie two years to get situated and then he should be off and running.

He won at at 74% clip after his first two years...better than his brother at an established Xavier. Archie built Dayton from the averageness that Brian Gregory had it.

Young coach
Respected basketball mind
Consistent improving performance at Dayton.

Only question mark is recruiting.

His brother is one of the best in the biz, he's recruited for three power five conferences, he was a point guard who actually played the game and lastly, it's the Indiana brand.

Even Davis and Crean were able to recruit to Indiana, much less a respected, young coach.

Good days ahead!

I think it will be a combination of two arcs.

You'll have a really good team next year even without biggie but... I don't see the pipeline help just yet.

Gotta give Archie two years to get situated and then he should be off and running.

He won at at 74% clip after his first two years...better than his brother at an established Xavier. Archie built Dayton from the averageness that Brian Gregory had it.

Young coach
Respected basketball mind
Consistent improving performance at Dayton.

Only question mark is recruiting.

His brother is one of the best in the biz, he's recruited for three power five conferences, he was a point guard who actually played the game and lastly, it's the Indiana brand.

Even Davis and Crean were able to recruit to Indiana, much less a respected, young coach.

Good days ahead!

Now I agree with all this !

Miller is a double, not a homerun but a stand up double. He can win games there but Crean won games too.

I believe that A. Miller is a good hire as a coach for the IU program. However, he is walking into a position with unreasonable expectations from the fan base. I am convinced that is why Alford, Holtmann, Marshall et al, walked on by. I think that he will slightly outperform Crean but that will not be judged as good enough. I do not think that he makes the full seven years that is his contract term.

Hi, arc. How you been lately? Health been solid?

I think Archie has potential to be really good, but it'll have to play out a bit. I don't believe for one second Alford was even considered. All that speculation came from people in Alford's camp begging for the job. IU didn't want him, which made me ecstatic.

As for Marshall, he's the one guy I would have rather had than arch. But, as most know, he has a little weird baggage. Not something IU wanted after the clown's 9 years.

Am I the only person who sees screwy logic in the IU fans telling us that Miller making the Elite Eight at Dayton makes him a solid hire while simultaneously maintaining that Davis and Crean were bad coaches while they made a NCAA Championship Game and Final Four, respectively?There seems to me that there iis cognitive dissonance going on here.

I think that Miller was a good hire as stated previously. However, the IU commentary and confidence strikes me as odd.

I am thrilled Alford didn't get the job. You guys are correct Stevens is done with college ball no interest. I think Miller is a very good hire. Young coach who knows what he is doing. Crean wore me out on lack of defense and turnovers. Also losing the indy coaches in recruiting killed him.

• Haha
Reactions: TC4THREE
Am I the only person who sees screwy logic in the IU fans telling us that Miller making the Elite Eight at Dayton makes him a solid hire while simultaneously maintaining that Davis and Crean were bad coaches while they made a NCAA Championship Game and Final Four, respectively?There seems to me that there iis cognitive dissonance going on here.

I think that Miller was a good hire as stated previously. However, the IU commentary and confidence strikes me as odd.

Davis and Crean are bad coaches. Lol.

REALLY bad.

The other thing that is odd with Crean being gone is the assurance that the Indiana HS coaches will now be receptive to IU. Whenever this was noted previously (lack of)courtsense (among others) would always mock this and claim that it was totally without merit. Now it seems to be accepted truth. How things change.......

I believe that A. Miller is a good hire as a coach for the IU program. However, he is walking into a position with unreasonable expectations from the fan base. I am convinced that is why Alford, Holtmann, Marshall et al, walked on by. I think that he will slightly outperform Crean but that will not be judged as good enough. I do not think that he makes the full seven years that is his contract term.

None of the coaches you mention were offered. It was Stevens, Donovan, Miller, Mack. Didn't get to Mack.

But who are the "elite" coaches? There are a handful, but none are available. You can split hairs over Mack, Holman, Marshall, but none are elite.Archie was option C, & A & B decided to stay in the NBA.

Mack is a Xavier player and alum. I think that he is quite happy there and has an easy time making the top 3 in the Big East - along with Villanova and Butler. That makes him an almost perennial NCAA participant.

He is well-paid, well-liked and has stability. What is not to like?
You are 100% correct. He was born and raised here, his wife is from the area. Xavier is a top program in a good conference. Cintas is a great facility, and Xavier can still pay a pretty penny. It's not like when they were in the A-10.

The poll on the board over there shows a 94.1% approval of the hire. So I'd say you're incorrect.

This I'd have no way of knowing, but having spent the last month following this thing practically 24/7, I'd be surprised if that was the case. I do believe that there was a faction (some donors/IU people) who were pushing hard for Alford, I also think there was an equally strong faction opposed to it. Ultimately I believe it was the Iowa/Pierce thing that forced the Alford contingent to withdraw. This wasn't the hire for a polarizing figure, and Alford presented too much risk in that regard. There were already petition and letter writing campaigns aimed at the BOT.

So I don't think he was offered. And I think his denial last night came about after it was clear IU was going another direction.

94.1%? come on......I must have read the 5.9% then LOL. There was over 650 pages on that thread.........over a million views.......about Donovan. But I believe you.

94.1%? come on......I must have read the 5.9% then LOL. There was over 650 pages on that thread.........over a million views.......about Donovan. But I believe you.

You're talking about the 24/7 board. I was talking about the Rivals board. The 24/7 guys were somehow convinced it was Donovan right up until the end. They're nuts.

Reactions: jadeezra
The IU fans I know are not happy.

There is no joy in Methville.
Tiny Archie has no clout.

The ones I know are split down the middle . I think the ones on the fence will settle in. Give the guy a chance he's a good coach (I never thought Crean was) . Hopefully this rivalry gets back to full force

Plan B after Alford I assume. His 100% no interest statement ended that. Miller seems to be the opposite of Crean in demeanor and they wanted to stay as far from weird as possible. Stevens must of had no interest or they would have thrown the bank at him. Miller seems like a good guy but I am surprised that it's the next pick and happened this fast.

Alford was never considered. Have an email from a board of trustee when Crean was fired saying Alford was not on the list. Alford's people drummed that up. I am assuming Miller was in the top 3 on the list.

The ones I know are split down the middle . I think the ones on the fence will settle in. Give the guy a chance he's a good coach (I never thought Crean was) . Hopefully this rivalry gets back to full force

I think the only ones truly upset with the Miller hire are those that seriously thought we were getting Donovan. Miller has all along been pretty high on most people's lists, with Marshall, Bennett, maybe Mack. For those of us with realistic expectation I think Archie was a great get. Would I have preferred Marshall? Yeah, but I never thought he seemed like a Glass hire.

So while there may be some residual disappointment among some that the Donovan thing turned out to be nothing I think people will really get behind Miller. He seems like a good young coach and the opposite of Crean in a lot of ways. I'm excited to see what he does.

Last I checked, it's been considered a "draw" much over the past 25 years between the schools.

Watching Purdue's season this year was eerily similar to what IU saw in 2016:

• Outright conference title.
  • Loss to the Michigan program in the BTT
  • Blowout to a blue blood in the tourney.

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago

Of course they are going to say that now. I would love to see a pole before the hire. Put Alford, Mack and Miller and Miller would be last.

Last edited:
That's so strong I can smell the delusion clear up by Warsaw . Where do you live ?

You DO have a very keen nose, jadeezra, but there's a logical explanation for all that delusion blowing down your way from Minneapolis/St. Paul (AND Chicago):

Alberta_Clipper_zpspv67jxps.gif

Welcome to the B1G, Coach Miller!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dakota Girl
Last I checked, it's been considered a "draw" much over the past 25 years between the schools.

Watching Purdue's season this year was eerily similar to what IU saw in 2016:

• Outright conference title.
  • Loss to the Michigan program in the BTT
  • Blowout to a blue blood in the tourney.
Maybe, but I'll bet we make the NCAA next year and don't fire Painter

I never thought they'd land Stevens or Donovan. I had hoped they would pick Alford or Fife. I did not want them to get Miller. This is a good hire. And, the thing is, if he stinks, they'll fire him and try again. They want to win and aren't afraid to fail until they land a true winner. They will find one and beat us to another title. They are not screwing around and want to win. Personally, I respect that. I hate them, but respect the fact they want to win. They don't fear hiring over and over til they get it right.
Yuppp, when this dude is out recruiting us instate in a few short years and all the old timers on the board are still saying wait till next year and there just ain't enough talent to go around so why even try? Wash, rinse, repeat, 36 years and counting

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Of course they are going to say that now. I would love to see a pole before th hire. Put Alford, Mack and Miller and Miller would be last.

I'd suggest that you're mistaken about this, especially with regards to Alford. In the Thumbs Up/Down poll on Alford a week ago he had 20.4% thumbs up and 79.6% thumbs down. Alford had a very small group of supporters. He was probably the most unwanted candidate overall.

Archie was always near the top of people's lists. Mack was hit and miss. The common top 4 were Donovan, Marshall, Bennett and Miller...Bennett and Miller being interchangeable. I know you'd like to think that we're all disappointed, but it's really not the case.

Actually, the dissapointments or lack thereof of the IU fan base are irrelevant. What will matter is how well he does. If he doesn't get a FF in 5 years they will want his head.

Reactions: mike41703
I'd suggest that you're mistaken about this, especially with regards to Alford. In the Thumbs Up/Down poll on Alford a week ago he had 20.4% thumbs up and 79.6% thumbs down. Alford had a very small group of supporters. He was probably the most unwanted candidate overall.

Archie was always near the top of people's lists. Mack was hit and miss. The common top 4 were Donovan, Marshall, Bennett and Miller...Bennett and Miller being interchangeable. I know you'd like to think that we're all disappointed, but it's really not the case.
Everyone over there wanted Donovan... All the talk was about Donovan or Alford. Of course they wanted Donovan and not Alford. There were idiots yesterday posting that Donovan was already in Bloomington:

When Donovan said no, Alford was next man up... And he pulled his name last night. If Miller was the man, they could have announced it before Alford publicly said no. Despite my better judgement, I listened to DD last week because I wanted to hear what IU fans wanted. Almost all that called in wanted Donovan or Alford. I heard no mention of Miller. If anything, Mack was most mentioned after Alford. Anyhow, you got your man, enjoy. Can't wait until the first meltdown on Peegs next season. My guess is it won't take long.

Everyone over there wanted Donovan... All the talk was about Donovan or Alford. Of course they wanted Donovan and not Alford. There were idiots yesterday posting that Donovan was already in Bloomington:

When Donovan said no, Alford was next man up... And he pulled his name last night. If Miller was the man, they could have announced it before Alford publicly said no. Despite my better judgement, I listened to DD last week because I wanted to hear what IU fans wanted. Almost all that called in wanted Donovan or Alford. I heard no mention of Miller. If anything, Mack was most mentioned after Alford. Anyhow, you got your man, enjoy. Can't wait until the first meltdown on Peegs next season. My guess is it won't take long.

No he wasn't. Alford wasn't even on the list. Nobody wanted the baggage of the Iowa incident. Per a trustee. Rape groups were contacting the University.

It's a decent hire, but not a home run hire. A lot of my fellow IU graduates are delusional and think we are elite still. It's sad to watch, honestly. Archie will do ok, but our fan base will turn on him as they do others because they are stuck in another century. Eventually Archie will want out rather than dealing with the crazies. Glass boxed us in with his rhetoric last week, which was so amateurish is was embarrassing. Cringe worthy. He said a home run hire or else, he got a legged out double instead. I wish him well, but I hope he protects himself from the lunatic fringe that is our fan base.

Go Hoosiers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT