ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else feel that there's a good chance...

that Purdue and IU will play in the Big Ten Tourney final? They way IU is playing right now...I don't think it's that far-fetched an idea.

I do not asses iu playing well @ the moment or anytime this season. If they do so in the tourney, that will be the first. Thus, I find this far fetched. But anything is possible, I guess?

Reactions: *4purdue*
Would love to see it happen. IU for sure won't make it there and we may not.

The win streak is nice, but in reality, they beat:
-A free-falling Wisconsin team that has lost 8 of its last 11.
-The 12th place team (road)
-The 10th place team (road)
-The 8th place team (home).....barely

I put the odds of them winning each game @
PSU: 75%
Nebraska: 40%
Illinois: 10%

I'd probably go less on all 3. 75% is if it's Michigan.

PSU may beat IU but I give IU 63% chance.
They have a 10% chance beyond that.

A chance is a chance no matter how small.

I think indiana has about as easy a pathway to the finals as they can get. Penn state has not played great. Nebraska sucks outside their own arena. They seem to play Illinois well. This is a good draw for them.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Hard to say with Indiana. They're on a roll down the stretch. That talented front line has asserted itself, and the team looks more confident with Xavier Johnson. Still, they haven't beaten a murderers row. I still think Illinois is a team on a mission and will be a tough out.

Purdue better show up in Minneapolis. The overall #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament is still very much up in the air. Double-bye Purdue teams have lost on Friday in recent years. A possible third game against Northwestern looms on Saturday. It's going to be a challenging weekend. Purdue better be ready to go.

Hard to say with Indiana. They're on a roll down the stretch. That talented front line has asserted itself, and the team looks more confident with Xavier Johnson. Still, they haven't beaten a murderers row. I still think Illinois is a team on a mission and will be a tough out.

Purdue better show up in Minneapolis. The overall #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament is still very much up in the air. Double-bye Purdue teams have lost on Friday in recent years. A possible third game against Northwestern looms on Saturday. It's going to be a challenging weekend. Purdue better be ready to go.
Indiana just isn't very good but neither is most of the rest of the Big Ten. They could certainly beat PSU and Nebraska away from home isn't the same as Nebraska at their place. IU's guards would have to get hot against IL and IL would likely need to have an off game for IU to get that win but anything is possible.

As someone else posted I think OSU is a much more balanced and overall talented roster, I think they'd be more likely to make a run if they can get past Iowa.

The overall #1 seed in the NCAA is largely irrelevant. We already know where Houston, UConn and Purdue are going. And after those 3 teams, I think it's a jumbled mess so not sure anyone can confidently say which region will be stronger.

The overall #1 seed in the NCAA is largely irrelevant. We already know where Houston, UConn and Purdue are going. And after those 3 teams, I think it's a jumbled mess so not sure anyone can confidently say which region will be stronger.

Not to mention the number of upsets that happen every year, that make a so called strong region, on paper less strong with lower seeds advancing.

Purdue has lost on Friday in 2021…3 years ago (R64), 2019…5 years ago (E8) and then in 2017 (S16), 7 years ago.

If X is their main point guard, they are screwed. For an 8th year point guard, that guy can’t shoot, makes dumb passes and plays and flops on any kind of contact on both sides of the ball. They better hope Gallo can play. Ware, while good, has yet to show up against any type of a good big of similar size/skill. Reneau still fouls so much due to not moving his feet and being lazy. Would be funny if they get swept by either Penn state or Nebraska, but if they beat them somehow, I can’t see them beating Illinois.

Generally yes. This is one year where it slightly makes a difference only because there are three teams separating themselves. IF (and it's a gigantic IF with Purdue) all three advanced to Arizona, the overall #1-seed avoids the other two in the semi-finals. For Purdue, hell it's been so long to get out of the Regionals, just keep advancing and take it one game at a time.

Agree that I see NO scenario where Purdue isn't at least the #3 overall seed playing in the Midwest Region, first two rounds in Indianapolis. Same for Connecticut (East via Brooklyn) and Houston (South via Memphis).

Just speculating, but I do think the Midwest bracket will be loaded - one of those where some will say "Holy _____." You've got the likes of Tennessee, Kentucky, Baylor, Creighton, Iowa State, Kansas (may be severely hampered, however), Auburn, and Alabama (among others) in play. A team like Texas/TCU could be on the 8/9 line. A darkhorse scenario would be an Illinois run to get on the #3-line.

Just go back to 2022 for what can happen though.

I like Purdue's position and chemistry right now compared to last year, but I sense one of those tournaments where its final result is completely up in the air and will come down to one or two razor's edge moments.....that's just going on a hunch and JMHO.

We shall see.

Generally yes. This is one year where it slightly makes a difference only because there are three teams separating themselves. IF (and it's a gigantic IF with Purdue) all three advanced to Arizona, the overall #1-seed avoids the other two in the semi-finals. For Purdue, hell it's been so long to get out of the Regionals, just keep advancing and take it one game at a time.

Agree that I see NO scenario where Purdue isn't at least the #3 overall seed playing in the Midwest Region, first two rounds in Indianapolis. Same for Connecticut (East via Brooklyn) and Houston (South via Memphis).

Just speculating, but I do think the Midwest bracket will be loaded - one of those where some will say "Holy _____." You've got the likes of Tennessee, Kentucky, Baylor, Creighton, Iowa State, Kansas (may be severely hampered, however), Auburn, and Alabama (among others) in play. A team like Texas/TCU could be on the 8/9 line. A darkhorse scenario would be an Illinois run to get on the #3-line.

I like Purdue's position and chemistry right now compared to last year, but I sense one of those tournaments where its final result is completely up in the air and will come down to one or two razor's edge moments.....that's just going on a hunch and JMHO.

We shall see.
over the years...many years it seems to me that the Midwest and East have typically been the tougher bracket swith the south sometimes slipping in. Seems like the West has been the weaker quite often

We shall see.
Illinois won't be in our region. It used to be a hard-and-fast rule that the top 3 teams in a conference had to be split. I'm not positive that's still the case by rule, but it won't happen.

But the rest of what you said is possible although you listed too many teams lol.

This is logical:
1 Purdue
2 Tennessee
3 Baylor
4 Auburn
5 St. Mary's
6 San Diego St
7 Dayton
8 Nevada
9 Texas
10 Michigan State
11 Drake

We shall see.
Once you get to the S16, I feel any team can be beat and a majority of those teams are good. And if you get to the F4, all 4 are good so not sure it matters who you play.

Part of me wants a tough bracket so that Purdue will show it’s not a fluke. But there’s also a part of me that wants the easiest possible path 😂

Illinois won't be in our region. It used to be a hard-and-fast rule that the top 3 teams in a conference had to be split. I'm not positive that's still the case by rule, but it won't happen.

But the rest of what you said is possible although you listed too many teams lol.

This is logical:
1 Purdue
2 Tennessee
3 Baylor
4 Auburn
5 St. Mary's
6 San Diego St
7 Dayton
8 Nevada
9 Texas
10 Michigan State
11 Drake

Oh I hear you, Chi-Boiler....just who could possibly be in that region. I'm guessing Illinois is either East or South. I would also think Tennessee, Baylor, Auburn is a strong possibility for 2, 3, and 4.

Oh I hear you, Chi-Boiler....just who could possibly be in that region. I'm guessing Illinois is either East or South. I would also think Tennessee, Baylor, Auburn is a strong possibility for 2, 3, and 4.
My hope is they package UNC and Tennessee together in the West and make Arizona go to Dallas with Houston. I think those UNC and Tennessee have separated themselves a little bit from the next tier. After that, the only team I think I don't want to play is Kentucky because they are so explosive and deep.

Reactions: Dryfly88
My hope is they package UNC and Tennessee together in the West and make Arizona go to Dallas with Houston. I think those UNC and Tennessee have separated themselves a little bit from the next tier. After that, the only team I think I don't want to play is Kentucky because they are so explosive and deep.

I can follow that, zz, but if I had to wager, Arizona will not get shipped - they have to keep some teams out there for the seats....it's helped Gonzaga in years they were a top 16-seed, but it makes for interesting bracket balancing dilemmas when there aren't as many good teams west of the Rockies.

I've thought in some years past that Purdue could have benefited being in the West.

Reactions: tjreese
I can follow that, zz, but if I had to wager, Arizona will not get shipped - they have to keep some teams out there for the seats....it's helped Gonzaga in years they were a top 16-seed, but it makes for interesting bracket balancing dilemmas when there aren't as many good teams west of the Rockies.

I've thought in some years past that Purdue could have benefited being in the West.
Arizona will be in the West. Lock it up. It's actually more of a disservice to Tennessee to send them West as the best 2-seed. Now, in theory, I can see them going to Dallas as opposed to Detroit to avoid the #1 overall being with the #5 overall, but that's not a rule (as well as it might not be the correct ranks).

Reactions: DrEss
Arizona will be in the West. Lock it up. It's actually more of a disservice to Tennessee to send them West as the best 2-seed. Now, in theory, I can see them going to Dallas as opposed to Detroit to avoid the #1 overall being with the #5 overall, but that's not a rule (as well as it might not be the correct ranks).
I would imagine the committee is hoping that can make Arizona the last 1 seed, if UT and UNC stumble this week. Them being a 2 out west is a bit unfair ( home region area) to the # 1, imo.

Obviously a long, long way to go.....and we haven't even seen the brackets yet......however, it would make for a helluva game IF (HUGE IF) it came down to Boiler Up/Rocky Top, Part II to advance to Arizona. Can you imagine the battle that would be?

Of course, even if that were the way the seeds/bracket fell.....no assurances either team would advance that far to set the stage. This week is crawling by.....haha.

Reactions: Bippus33
Obviously a long, long way to go.....and we haven't even seen the brackets yet......however, it would make for a helluva game IF (HUGE IF) it came down to Boiler Up/Rocky Top, Part II to advance to Arizona. Can you imagine the battle that would be?

Of course, even if that were the way the seeds/bracket fell.....no assurances either team would advance that far to set the stage. This week is crawling by.....haha.
That matchup could be very tough and before anyone reminds us that the two final fours (1969/1980) had a 7 footer, it does not mean that a 7 footer is mandatory to reach a final four. Purdue can get there with another 7 footer, but it doesn’t have to be a 7 footer as there are other variables in play. ;)

Agree that avoiding putting the #1 and #5 seeds together is not a rule, but it does appear that it's the common practice. Unless UT loses to the LSU / Miss State winner they should end up as the last 1 seed or first 2 seed. Purdue should be the overall #1 seed if they make it past their first game in the BTT.

The committee will then place the No. 2 seeds in each region in true seed list order. The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions.

We shall see.
we're not going to win a first time in a cake walk, just not gonna happen.
IF we win, it'll be a dogfight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT