ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur's take on Football practice #1

When all you do is pass the ball, you're going to put up huge numbers. That doesn't make it mean anyone's a great QB. Secondarily, if you watched the games, you'll see a lot of yards were given up between the 20's. Then when Purdue got in the red zone, things changed. Yards between the 20's are pretty meaningless when you don't score points.
it's a theory.

In reality, the stats were pretty darn good... TDs to INTs, especially.

If all you do is pass, a defense is going to catch onto that pretty quickly...

You and @Purdue85 keep missing my point. When you abandon the run and do nothing but throw the ball, you put up enormous passing stats between the 20's. The problem with that is when you try to pass inside the 20 every down, it's pretty easy for the passing D to tighten up and safeties don't have to cover deep.

Most QBs in those types of systems rack up yards. But they're generally meaningless yards unless you score a lot of points, which Purdue hasn't done.
I got your point. It's just a "faulty" point... 😉

For goodness sakes. Are you even listening at this point? My assertion was that many QB's can put up huge numbers when they only focus on the passing game and have 40+ throws a game. My argument was in reference to SDBoiler stating that Plummer led the league in passing yards per game. My point was that it's not as difficult to do when you have that many passing attempts per game.

And no, I don't want Brohm to run into a brick wall. But he needs to figure out how to get the running game going.
Let's look closer at the numbers...

When O'Connell played (IA, IL, NW), here were the ratios of Pass/Run:
50/27
35/31
51/17

Plummer played vs MN, Rutgers, and Nebraska. Here are the ratios of Pass/Run for those 3 games:
43/25
35/33
33/17

Not sure that's 'abandoning the run', but there's no doubt, I'm betting Brohm would liked to have run the ball more. And, yes, we need to have better OL play.

I'm reminded of that same conversation that occurred year after year when Brees was here... "we want to run the ball more". Although not an equivalent sample size, he had a lower completion % and worse TD/INT ratios. (Brees' completion % actually went DOWN during his time at Purdue.)

Again, last year Plummer had a 71% completion and 8/2 TD/INT. That's a significant improvement from the prior year in both areas. It's almost like he's going through some level of "development".

Reactions: SDBoiler1
For goodness sakes. Are you even listening at this point? My assertion was that many QB's can put up huge numbers when they only focus on the passing game and have 40+ throws a game. My argument was in reference to SDBoiler stating that Plummer led the league in passing yards per game. My point was that it's not as difficult to do when you have that many passing attempts per game.

And no, I don't want Brohm to run into a brick wall. But he needs to figure out how to get the running game going.
Needs experience and age on the oline. Team as a whole. Can't win in the big ten with youth.

How many QBs have played at 6’7”+ yards for a P5 Program. Jared Lorenzen from Kentucky? Any more you can think of?

ASU had a QB maybe 6 years ago that was 6'7", I think Ryan Mallett out of Michigan was 6'7" also about 5 or 6 years ago. Their height was a real concern to pros and neither made much of an NFL impact.

Edit: both played almost TEN years ago, and the ASU QB was Brock Osweiler, drafted in the 2nd round. Mallett was a 3rd or 4th rounder I believe

Reactions: SDBoiler1
This thread started out nice and then degenerated to its present state. Can't we just have observations from the practices, information that most of us don't have available not being able to attend them. Argue elsewhere.

ASU had a QB maybe 6 years ago that was 6'7", I think Ryan Mallett out of Michigan was 6'7" also about 5 or 6 years ago. Their height was a real concern to pros and neither made much of an NFL impact.

Edit: both played almost TEN years ago, and the ASU QB was Brock Osweiler, drafted in the 2nd round. Mallett was a 3rd or 4th rounder I believe
was it Mallett that played at Ark. also then developed a drug habit?

This thread started out nice and then degenerated to its present state. Can't we just have observations from the practices, information that most of us don't have available not being able to attend them. Argue elsewhere.
NO! P*SS OFF!

(j/k)

not sure where you see the argument. there's certainly no ill will on my end, nor do I sense any from Pat or anyone else.

Reactions: purduepat1969
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT