ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur's take on Football practice #1

No not all big ten.. big ten caliber starters. Guys that could go to any team in the middle of the league and be a strong bet to start.

expecting all big ten players all over the field at Purdue is not correct.

when I think of baselines from the past, was Cornell Jones of the caliber at his position as a Kevin nesfield, mike rose or Ralph turner? No he was not. I don’t think anyone is expecting Markus bailey, gilbert Gardner and Landon Johnson at linebacker.

but again, so we are on the same page.. I think lambert, Hagen and English will correct this.. it would be insulting to those three if one acted like the previous defensive coaches were as good.

just like when people said they knew Jared sparks WOULD be good with no rational basis for thinking that. That’s insulting to players who actually were good like Greg Orton, Aaron Valentin and Randall lane
I misspoke. But big ten caliber players. Why you only mention Allen and Trice as big ten caliber from 2019?

QB isn't developed? How do you figure?
If you watched last year, you'll see O'Connell couldn't run or scramble to save his life (probably less about development and more about ability). Plummer couldn't read the D and continued to focus on 1 or 2 guys, especially Bell. I'm not saying Burton wasn't developed, just wasn't ready due to not having enough time with the team.

If you watched last year, you'll see O'Connell couldn't run or scramble to save his life (probably less about development and more about ability). Plummer couldn't read the D and continued to focus on 1 or 2 guys, especially Bell. I'm not saying Burton wasn't developed, just wasn't ready due to not having enough time with the team.
So just to confirm. O'Connell hasn't been developed because he isn't fast or mobile? Plummer has struggled with that some, but I believe he's improving on it. He's an underclassmen. Blough and Sindelar really struggled as underclassmen, but Brohm developed them quite a bit. Blough is in the NFL. Has multiple starts. Hard to win with youth, especially at QB. Big year for Plummer though. But I'd argue QB's develop under Brohm.

I misspoke. But big ten caliber players. Why you only mention Allen and Trice as big ten caliber from 2019?
From 2020. Are you talking about George and Barnes? Because I don’t think you should expect players of that caliber up and down the lineup at Purdue.

but yeah, if holt and Diaco could have turned out 4-5 more players per year at that trice/Allen 2020 level, then they would have probably done enough on the field (I realize Diaco’s issues went beyond personnel) to still be here.

I expect that George will be all big ten. Allen and trice will compete for at least second team, and then guys who will play at around the level of trice and Allen last year will probably be a good sized group out of:

Lewis
Johnson
Mitchell
Alexander
Brothers
Graham
Grant
Romphf
Yanni Karlaftis (later In the year)
Brown

the only thing I think will stop us from being a winning team is that it may be 4, 6, 8 games until some of those guys reach that level …

so I do think success is coming. But to pretend that it’s already happened just isn’t realistic

So just to confirm. O'Connell hasn't been developed because he isn't fast or mobile? Plummer has struggled with that some, but I believe he's improving on it. He's an underclassmen. Blough and Sindelar really struggled as underclassmen, but Brohm developed them quite a bit. Blough is in the NFL. Has multiple starts. Hard to win with youth, especially at QB. Big year for Plummer though. But I'd argue QB's develop under Brohm.
There are slow QBs who can be more effective scramblers. That part of O'Connell's game hasn't been developed. You can call it what you want. But the fact that we've had mediocre QB play hasn't helped win games. If you want to argue semantics, have at it.

There are slow QBs who can be more effective scramblers. That part of O'Connell's game hasn't been developed. You can call it what you want. But the fact that we've had mediocre QB play hasn't helped win games. If you want to argue semantics, have at it.
So Mannings legs were never developed. Rivers. Some people aren't made to scramble. O'Connell isn't.

seriously dude? If Oconnell was 6’4” with the arm of either one of those guys, even their college arm, and the ability to pick up a blitz and hit the open guy instantaneously.. yes, he’d be all big ten.
What's that got to do with his legs and ability to scramble? I said nothing about how good of a passer is. He has developed really well at Purdue. Still think he's #2 this year, but that's a different topic.

So what you calling me out on here?

What's that got to do with his legs and ability to scramble? I said nothing about how good of a passer is. He has developed really well at Purdue. Still think he's #2 this year, but that's a different topic.

So what you calling me out on here?
Wtf? Are you serious? So you think Peyton Manning is the same guy if he’s shorter with a much weaker arm and still as slow as he was? Got it

So Mannings legs were never developed. Rivers. Some people aren't made to scramble. O'Connell isn't.
He's no Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers from a passing perspective either. In today's college game, you're going to need to learn how to scramble or at least avoid a sack. This ain't Peyton Manning's NCAA anymore. Nor Philip Rivers'...

He's no Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers from a passing perspective either. In today's college game, you're going to need to learn how to scramble or at least avoid a sack. This ain't Peyton Manning's NCAA anymore. Nor Philip Rivers'...
Pat, I understand what you're getting at, but at some point (and, it happens pretty quickly) you're stuck with the tools God gave ya.

Arm strength... can be improved, but not markedly

Speed... ditto

Lateral quickness... ditto

Criticizing Brohm for not "developing" O'Connell's foot speed reeks of the same conversations we've had before...

Reactions: BoilerN
Pat, I understand what you're getting at, but at some point (and, it happens pretty quickly) you're stuck with the tools God gave ya.

Speed... ditto

Criticizing Brohm for not "developing" O'Connell's foot speed reeks of the same conversations we've had before...
That’s not the criticism… you have scholarships like everyone else. If one guy doesn’t have the tools, can you get somebody ready to beat him out?

I actually don’t think that will be the case this year BUT I feel like the game will slow down for oconnell, he will start to get deeper in his reads, and the abilities of the weapons around him will increase.. such that teams will have to think twice about bringing the house on him. I see him having at least a solid middle of the big ten season this year. I believe he will start and do well

Wtf? Are you serious? So you think Peyton Manning is the same guy if he’s shorter with a much weaker arm and still as slow as he was? Got it
Wtf does Peyton arm and talent have to do with his legs? Where have I mentioned anything other than speed? I'm not the one who said O'Connell hasn't been developed because he isn't fast.

Speed... ditto

Ding ding ding.

That’s not the criticism… you have scholarships like everyone else. If one guy doesn’t have the tools, can you get somebody ready to beat him out?

I actually don’t think that will be the case this year BUT I feel like the game will slow down for oconnell, he will start to get deeper in his reads, and the abilities of the weapons around him will increase.. such that teams will have to think twice about bringing the house on him. I see him having at least a solid middle of the big ten season this year. I believe he will start and do well
Eh. I actually think O'Connell is what he is and it's a matter of time before Plummer passes him. Plummer has a much higher ceiling and his issues are things that can be improved.

Reactions: Purdue85

Speed... ditto

I'm not beating up anyone for the tools they don't have. What I'm saying is, as a coach, you either help the kid get better at avoiding a sack and taking what yardage he can get. Or you develop another QB that has the natural ability.

Eh. I actually think O'Connell is what he is and it's a matter of time before Plummer passes him. Plummer has a much higher ceiling and his issues are things that can be improved.
Ding, ding, ding...geez. Yeah, that's my criticism of Brohm. How do you not have Plummer better developed by this point? What the hell do you think I was getting at in my other posts?...

Ding, ding, ding...geez. Yeah, that's my criticism of Brohm. How do you not have Plummer better developed by this point? What the hell do you think I was getting at in my other posts?...
He was a sophomore last year.... and didn't come in polished. Remember blough and sindelar as sophomores? Not what they were as seniors. That doesn't mean they aren't developing.

Wtf does Peyton arm and talent have to do with his legs? Where have I mentioned anything other than speed? I'm not the one who said O'Connell hasn't been developed because he isn't fast.
But you did bring up Manning and rivers. If Oconnell was no faster than he is now, but against a blitz he could recognize it and drill strikes .. well, now you neutralize the threat using something else.

what you did is kinda like if someone said that a back doesn’t have breakaway speed and you replied, yeah tell that to Walter Payton. The first questions become.: well does said back master angles and creativity and does he run people over like Payton? If so, he probably doesn’t need the most speed ever to be successful

Huge blindspots including not looking short left or short in the TE slot area.. game thus far has happened way too fast for him.

I’m a big Oconnell fan believe it or not. He has his limitations, but the first thing that jumps about him to me is that.. if the game is on the line, I gotta go back to drew Brees to think of a QB I’d rather have over Oconnell

Again, I am not as smart as you posters but if O'Connell has the speed of Bernie Kosar and the arm strength of Billy Kilmer, I don't care. He played 3 games, beat a very good team and we were competitive against another very good team who was manhandling Bell a little too much without enough calls. To me, that make O'Connell a fine Big Ten caliber QB. If O'Connell starts this year, IMO Purdue goes 7-5 and maybe even 8-4 because his starting means our OL is vastly improved. The line is my only concern on O. Second is lack of depth at RB.

On D, like on O it mainly depends on the Tackles and probably LBs.. On ST, I want to believe in our punters.

• Haha
Reactions: purduepat1969
Again, I am not as smart as you posters but if O'Connell has the speed of Bernie Kosar and the arm strength of Billy Kilmer, I don't care. He played 3 games, beat a very good team and we were competitive against another very good team who was manhandling Bell a little too much without enough calls. To me, that make O'Connell a fine Big Ten caliber QB. If O'Connell starts this year, IMO Purdue goes 7-5 and maybe even 8-4 because his starting means our OL is vastly improved. The line is my only concern on O. Second is lack of depth at RB.

On D, like on O it mainly depends on the Tackles and probably LBs.. On ST, I want to believe in our punters.
How do you know they will only start him if the OL is improved? I guess it all depends on how our opponents do with their challenges this off-season. I’m holding at 5-7 but the more I hear about northwestern, Minnesota and Nebraska the more I think 6-6 is possible. 7-5 would mean that the coaches did an outstanding job with the off-season

He led the league in pass yards/game last season? 8TDs, 2INTs? 65% completion %? WTH do you mean by “better developed”?
Yards per game means nothing when you don't run the ball and don't score in the red zone. He also played against some of the worst pass defenses in the league in those 3 games, which were all losses...

okay. Fair enough.

But... if he DOESN'T, wouldn't that mean that O'Connell has been ... "developed" ... as well?

I'm not following the criteria for criticizing the development process.

:cool:
Just because a team picks a QB to start doesn't mean they've done a good job developing that QB...

But you did bring up Manning and rivers. If Oconnell was no faster than he is now, but against a blitz he could recognize it and drill strikes .. well, now you neutralize the threat using something else.

what you did is kinda like if someone said that a back doesn’t have breakaway speed and you replied, yeah tell that to Walter Payton. The first questions become.: well does said back master angles and creativity and does he run people over like Payton? If so, he probably doesn’t need the most speed ever to be successful
But the start of this whole conversation was brohm hasn't developed QB's because O'Connell is slow.

But the start of this whole conversation was brohm hasn't developed QB's because O'Connell is slow.
Yes. This is like talking to a Kobe Bryant fan. “He had excuses not to beat the Celtics.. so let me imply that he actually beat the Celtics.”

Oconnell being slow doesn’t mean that one of brohm’s QBs has become a quality big ten starter.

Just because a team picks a QB to start doesn't mean they've done a good job developing that QB...
Brohm has made every QB at Purdue better. Blough. Sindelar. O'Connell. Plummer. I'd say he can develop them. Now, how elite can he develop them? Gonna find out with Alaimo and Allen. Might see with Plummer as a senior even.

Yes. This is like talking to a Kobe Bryant fan. “He had excuses not to beat the Celtics.. so let me imply that he actually beat the Celtics.”

Oconnell being slow doesn’t mean that one of brohm’s QBs has become a quality big ten starter.
That's moving the goalpost. You are the one that brought up quality big ten starter. The topic was brohm developing QB's.

I'm not beating up anyone for the tools they don't have. What I'm saying is, as a coach, you either help the kid get better at avoiding a sack and taking what yardage he can get. Or you develop another QB that has the natural ability.
Natural ability can be physical and mental. A big part of playing the QB position is mental, quickly processing information. Perhaps one QB has a higher athletic ceiling and the other has a higher mental ceiling. Coaching can only get you so far if your processor runs slow.

Reactions: Purdue85
Again... fair enough... but, if a QB is selected to start, how do we know he was selected because the other QBs were not developed sufficiently??

I'm genuinely not following the method of evaluation.

If Aiden worked his @ss off and has been "developed" by Brohm & Co, is that a bad reflection on Brohm & Co?

Again... fair enough... but, if a QB is selected to start, how do we know he was selected because the other QBs were not developed sufficiently??

I'm genuinely not following the method of evaluation.

If Aiden worked his @ss off and has been "developed" by Brohm & Co, is that a bad reflection on Brohm & Co?
If these guys go out and have a great season, then they've clearly been developed. If not....

Now you're being disingenuous. That was not the entirety of the post. YOU were the one to nitpick one small portion of my post and make the remainder of this string about that. Go back and look at my original post.

That's moving the goalpost. You are the one that brought up quality big ten starter. The topic was brohm developing QB's.
Has he develop Oconnell? Of course. Again I think you’re in the 09 big ten mindset where it’s like “oh we made SOME progress? Cool. We will grab a win against rich rod, roll IU, beat northwestern if we don’t turn it over six teams and smack Illinois and Minnesota. Bowl game.”

Has he develop Oconnell? Of course. Again I think you’re in the 09 big ten mindset where it’s like “oh we made SOME progress? Cool. We will grab a win against rich rod, roll IU, beat northwestern if we don’t turn it over six teams and smack Illinois and Minnesota. Bowl game.”
I expect us to beat all those teams anyways. Not sure we are far behind them, if at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT