ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur's take on Football practice #1

I expect us to beat all those teams anyways. Not sure we are far behind them, if at all.
We don’t play Michigan. We are behind IU.

now, I want to distinguish myself from some doubters. The talent is there. If the defensive staff and brohm killed it all off-season and we have 22 starters who aren’t exploitable and a bunch of guys hit their stride, this team has a high ceiling

We don’t play Michigan. We are behind IU.

now, I want to distinguish myself from some doubters. The talent is there. If the defensive staff and brohm killed it all off-season and we have 22 starters who aren’t exploitable and a bunch of guys hit their stride, this team has a high ceiling
We are behind iu, but we aren't far. I have us at 6-7 wins and them at 7-8.

Yards per game means nothing when you don't run the ball and don't score in the red zone. He also played against some of the worst pass defenses in the league in those 3 games, which were all losses...
This is insane. How do you determine the QB is not "developed" when he's not a RB? Has nothing to do with the QB.

The QBs are responsible for the Purdue defense, too? We didn't lose those games because of Plummer's passing.

Reactions: BoilerN
This is insane. How do you determine the QB is not "developed" when he's not a RB? Has nothing to do with the QB.

The QBs are responsible for the Purdue defense, too? We didn't lose those games because of Plummer's passing.
You don't seem to understand that when you make few running attempts, you pass the ball instead. And statistics against bad pass defense teams are pretty meaningless...

Last edited:
As a fan, the only statistic that a quarterback needs to be measured by is Ws and Ls.
okay... fair point.

Question... When a defense fails to "develop" and deliver, how is that factored into that subjective measure?

Another question... when an offensive line doesn't execute to give the QB the ability to execute, how do you "measure" that?

In other words, we can have an incredibly "developed" and competent QB, but if the other pieces aren't in place, how do you account for that?

How do you know they will only start him if the OL is improved? I guess it all depends on how our opponents do with their challenges this off-season. I’m holding at 5-7 but the more I hear about northwestern, Minnesota and Nebraska the more I think 6-6 is possible. 7-5 would mean that the coaches did an outstanding job with the off-season
Posters are saying that O'Connell cannot run or scramble. They implied that he is not Big 10 caliber. I am pointing out that he play 3 games last year and played well with a below average line. Posters are saying that we need a QB who can scramble and I believe they are saying that because our line will not have improved and we need a QB who can run for his life. I really don't care who starts but IF our line is better we need someone who got dramatically better than how O'Connell played last year. However, if our line is better and O'Connell is as good as he was last year with little or no improvement this puts him in the top half of Big 10 QBs. And I am praying he and the line will be much better and that calculates to a top quarter of the Big 10 QBs. I think that those who disagree should go back and reexamine the first 3 games last year. And last year, we got robbed by a ref's call and then I saw the worst game ever by a Purdue team and we never recovered. Based on the second half of last season, a 4-8 record is in order. But based on the 1st 3, I will say 8-4.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
those teams also "load up" against the pass, making it more difficult to get those "meaningless" statistics.
If that's the case then why did Brohm abandon the running game?

During the Nebraska game, Horvath had 7 carries. And Purdue netted 0 yards on the ground. That's the day Plummer attempted 47 passes...

Minnesota game, Horvath with 10 carries. 42 passing attempts...

Gee, wonder why Plummer had so many passing yards per game?

Last edited:
Posters are saying that O'Connell cannot run or scramble. They implied that he is not Big 10 caliber. I am pointing out that he play 3 games last year and played well with a below average line. Posters are saying that we need a QB who can scramble and I believe they are saying that because our line will not have improved and we need a QB who can run for his life. I really don't care who starts but IF our line is better we need someone who got dramatically better than how O'Connell played last year. However, if our line is better and O'Connell is as good as he was last year with little or no improvement this puts him in the top half of Big 10 QBs. And I am praying he and the line will be much better and that calculates to a top quarter of the Big 10 QBs. I think that those who disagree should go back and reexamine the first 3 games last year. And last year, we got robbed by a ref's call and then I saw the worst game ever by a Purdue team and we never recovered. Based on the second half of last season, a 4-8 record is in order. But based on the 1st 3, I will say 8-4.
If you go back two years ago and watch him against Wisconsin in 2019, it doesn’t look like they best the OL straight up. It looks like they bring clever pressures and jump the short stuff so that they get to him before he can prolong the play.

the problem with someone dramatically better than Oconnell is this.. he’s accurate, sees the whole field, and can use the whole field. The assumption with a Jack plummer is “oh well you get him to the same point that Oconnell is at and he will be the same, except bigger with a stronger arm” and he is bigger with a stronger arm. But the game happens way faster for him (to this point) and he has huge blond spots.

there are players out there like Oconnell who are as natural of a QB as a drew Brees.. they are just missing huge things in terms of natural talent. What you find out with a lot of guys with more arm talent or a bigger body or faster legs is.. that often times the mental processing is something you can’t teach. Guys either have it or they don’t.

my take on QB is that there’s a chance that plummer had everything slow down for him. But, I’m betting not, and that therefore it’s gonna be Oconnell.

as to the OL.. I don’t get the presumption that we are so much better there. I did t find Long or holstege to be impressive AT ALL last year. Quite the contrary. Hartwig is going to be a fine player, but he’s gonna be going into his first full season as a starter as a true sophomore. Miller is ok.. and we don’t know what we have in Witt. It’s the biggest reason I’m holding at 5-7.

Reactions: mediaexpert

During the Nebraska game, Horvath had 7 carries. And Purdue netted 0 yards on the ground. That's the day Plummer attempted 47 passes...

I can't/won't speak for Brohm, and that doesn't change my point.

I can't/won't speak for Brohm, and that doesn't change my point.
When all you do is pass the ball, you're going to put up huge numbers. That doesn't make it mean anyone's a great QB. Secondarily, if you watched the games, you'll see a lot of yards were given up between the 20's. Then when Purdue got in the red zone, things changed. Yards between the 20's are pretty meaningless when you don't score points.

As a fan, the only statistic that a quarterback needs to be measured by is Ws and Ls.
We are screwed if King Dorue starts then.... have we won a game with him at starting RB? What about Cam Allen? I don't think it's been great. Crap. We are screwed. I don't think anyone on the team has a winning record as a player.

I can't remember the minny game other than Purdue was losing, but Purdue was down 17-0 in the Nebraska game. Also, minor details you left out. Purdue was playing a backup at every interior OL position in those games. O'Connell had the starting OL, where run blocking was better.

I can't remember the minny game other than Purdue was losing, but Purdue was down 17-0 in the Nebraska game. Also, minor details you left out. Purdue was playing a backup at every interior OL position in those games. O'Connell had the starting OL, where run blocking was better.
Oconnell has been the better QB in a race between two guys who may end up being sub Joey Elliott in terms of how they are remembered.. if I had to bet on one to break away and become affirmatively a good big ten QB, it would be Oconnell and I think it may come this year.

Oconnell has been the better QB in a race between two guys who may end up being sub Joey Elliott in terms of how they are remembered.. if I had to bet on one to break away and become affirmatively a good big ten QB, it would be Oconnell and I think it may come this year.
Not sure I agree. Plummer has a higher ceiling. More time to get there. O'Connell is what he is at this point.

Reactions: purduepat1969
That’s not the criticism… you have scholarships like everyone else. If one guy doesn’t have the tools, can you get somebody ready to beat him out?

I actually don’t think that will be the case this year BUT I feel like the game will slow down for oconnell, he will start to get deeper in his reads, and the abilities of the weapons around him will increase.. such that teams will have to think twice about bringing the house on him. I see him having at least a solid middle of the big ten season this year. I believe he will start and do well

There's a reason a walk on is a walk on.

Horvath had 10 carries against Northwestern as well, when O'Connell was playing. Brohm abandoned the run after the first two games. There's not much debating that.

Not sure I agree. Plummer has a higher ceiling. More time to get there. O'Connell is what he is at this point.
Yes that’s why I said Oconnell has been the better QB.

plummer has huge blind spots on the field.. never turns and throws left except left post, doesn’t hit the slot or TE areas well. He can hit the entire right wide receiver area, deep middle and the flats.

additionally the game happens very fast for him and hasnt slowed down.

Oconnell is an outstanding college QB in every regard except the fact that he’s slow as molasses and lacks the height (to step up and buy himself more time) or rocket arm to overcome it. If I had to bet, I’d say he runs a 5.4. If he could get that down to 5.1 it might be enough.

There's a reason a walk on is a walk on.
But he hasn’t been bad for a walk on. I just think brohm got a guy in plummer who is going to take until next year if ever you figure it out. If Alaimo and plummer were flipped in their arrival it might be different

plummer has huge blind spots on the field.. never turns and throws left except left post, doesn’t hit the slot or TE areas well. He can hit the entire right wide receiver area, deep middle and the flats.

Oconnell is an outstanding college QB in every regard except the fact that he’s slow as molasses and lacks the height (to step up and buy himself more time) or rocket arm to overcome it. If I had to bet, I’d say he runs a 5.4. If he could get that down to 5.1 it might be enough.
What the hell are you talking about? O’Connell is every bit of 6’3”. That’s plenty tall enough to play QB in the BIG.

What the hell are you talking about? O’Connell is every bit of 6’3”. That’s plenty tall enough to play QB in the BIG.
Dude I’m not saying he’s short but if he was 6’7” it would matter less that he’s slower than molasses. I’m a huge Oconnell fan.. dude has something in his blood that makes me think he’s related to Larry bird late in games..

Always a good time to advise someone to watch this…

Especially @New Pal Boiler 😂😂

Dude I’m not saying he’s short but if he was 6’7” it would matter less that he’s slower than molasses. I’m a huge Oconnell fan.. dude has something in his blood that makes me think he’s related to Larry bird late in games..

Always a good time to advise someone to watch this…

Especially @New Pal Boiler 😂😂
How many QBs have played at 6’7”+ yards for a P5 Program. Jared Lorenzen from Kentucky? Any more you can think of?

How many QBs have played at 6’7”+ yards for a P5 Program. Jared Lorenzen from Kentucky? Any more you can think of?
Dude you’re getting butthurt over nothing. Pick a height.. if he was a couple inches taller the slow feet would be less relevant.

You know what SD.. you’re right. Even though I think he’s the better QB and I just said I’m a huge fan.. he’s Archie Manning. Better?

the biggest thing I like about horvath and him is that they are the players that a lot of morons erroneously THOUGHT that players like Logan link, b. Thienemann and Jared sparks were

O'Connell has also had more time to develop. There is no problem with where Plummer is at in development. Getting hurt freshman year probably hurt it some. Has to take the step this year.

Horvath had 10 carries against Northwestern as well, when O'Connell was playing. Brohm abandoned the run after the first two games. There's not much debating that.
Purdue played from behind did they not? Also, wasn't much room to run on that NU defense. Would you rather have 20 runs and keep going at a wall? 20 for 42 yards isn't better than 10 for 21 yards.

O'Connell has also had more time to develop. There is no problem with where Plummer is at in development. Getting hurt freshman year probably hurt it some. Has to take the step this year.
Again, standards like “more than zero improvement” .. is plummer problematic? No. But that also doesn’t mean that to this point, he has become a quality big ten starting QB… a guy that teams in the middle of our league would be happy to plug into their starting spot.

if he comes out this year and starts lighting it up and looks like Kyle Orton, I’ll be the first to acknowledge it

Again, standards like “more than zero improvement” .. is plummer problematic? No. But that also doesn’t mean that to this point, he has become a quality big ten starting QB… a guy that teams in the middle of our league would be happy to plug into their starting spot.

if he comes out this year and starts lighting it up and looks like Kyle Orton, I’ll be the first to acknowledge it
I guess we have two of those then. Sounds like Plummer is beating O'Connell in competition right now. I'd expect it to stay that way. 2 more years of Plummer, then 2 years of Alaimo, then 2 years of Allen. I think my math is right. That's ideal situation.

I guess we have two of those then. Sounds like Plummer is beating O'Connell in competition right now. I'd expect it to stay that way. 2 more years of Plummer, then 2 years of Alaimo, then 2 years of Allen. I think my math is right. That's ideal situation.
Plummer has proven nothing beyond that he can throw for a lot of yards in brohm’s offense to talented WRs between the 20s.

I remember I thought in 2005 we were going to fulfill the projection of the Orlando newspaper. I was THE biggest homer. That season and many that have followed taught me to see it first and cheer it on second

Purdue played from behind did they not? Also, wasn't much room to run on that NU defense. Would you rather have 20 runs and keep going at a wall? 20 for 42 yards isn't better than 10 for 21 yards.
You and @Purdue85 keep missing my point. When you abandon the run and do nothing but throw the ball, you put up enormous passing stats between the 20's. The problem with that is when you try to pass inside the 20 every down, it's pretty easy for the passing D to tighten up and safeties don't have to cover deep.

Most QBs in those types of systems rack up yards. But they're generally meaningless yards unless you score a lot of points, which Purdue hasn't done.

You and @Purdue85 keep missing my point. When you abandon the run and do nothing but throw the ball, you put up enormous passing stats between the 20's. The problem with that is when you try to pass inside the 20 every down, it's pretty easy for the passing D to tighten up and safeties don't have to cover deep.

Most QBs in those types of systems rack up yards. But they're generally meaningless yards unless you score a lot of points, which Purdue hasn't done.
So Purdue is supposed to run into a brick wall hoping the team will suddenly stack more into the box to open up the pass? When a team doesn't have to commit extra guys to stop the run, it's not going to open the pass, regardless of how many times you run, meaning pass is the best option and higher percentage because you aren't wasting a down. If you could run against a team without them committing extra guys, then yes, I agree with you, but Purdue can't and hasn't been able to for 2 years. So why waste the down? It isn't going to open the pass.

Reactions: Bobtheboiler88
So Purdue is supposed to run into a brick wall hoping the team will suddenly stack more into the box to open up the pass? When a team doesn't have to commit extra guys to stop the run, it's not going to open the pass, regardless of how many times you run, meaning pass is the best option and higher percentage because you aren't wasting a down. If you could run against a team without them committing extra guys, then yes, I agree with you, but Purdue can't and hasn't been able to for 2 years. So why waste the down? It isn't going to open the pass.
For goodness sakes. Are you even listening at this point? My assertion was that many QB's can put up huge numbers when they only focus on the passing game and have 40+ throws a game. My argument was in reference to SDBoiler stating that Plummer led the league in passing yards per game. My point was that it's not as difficult to do when you have that many passing attempts per game.

And no, I don't want Brohm to run into a brick wall. But he needs to figure out how to get the running game going.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT