ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur's take on Football practice #1

Dandelion1972

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2002
West Lafayette
Watch GBI’s video of Jeff Brohm!

QB’s: 13 16 12 1 21 (but the first 3 were pretty much interchangeable).

Receivers: 0 3 33 2 29 18 9

D Backfield: 1 6 87 20 23 10 97 21

Random thoughts and plays

Most interesting play: Alaimo sprint out right to Pferiri for a 10 yard gain. (QB to former QB)

Best pass: Beautiful spiral in the middle of the field to David from AOC for a 50 yard TD!

Worst play: #2 is roughed up by #26 on medium level pass. #2 hurls ball and hits #26 in the back. JaMarcus has #2 run length of field and do some push-ups. JaMarcus not happy (and he usually is).

Excellent play: Alaimo to Yaseen, nice execution and catch!

#5 in backfield many times! Limited by the fact they weren’t fully padded, so he backed off. Could have had 4 to 5 sacks.

In 7 on 7, defense #24 and #27 came up lame about 3 plays apart. #24 was walking around later, #27 wasn’t.

Yanni seems to be with the 3’s.

#88 drop of a perfectly thrown AOC pass that would’ve been a TD.

#1 to #81- 65 yard TD, very nice (unless you’re cheering for the D).

#12 very nice escape turned into 20 yards (3 guys in his face).

Burton to Pfiferi, impressive throw and catch.

Shocking drop by David with Trice covering. Very physical play, but it hit David in the hands.

I said this about Elijah and Blough, Elijah just seemed to have a little more zip on the ball. Alaimo (IMO) has that same zip.

Purdue football should be proud of the way they presented things tonight. Couple of nice interviews on the video screen (can I say jumboTron, or is that racist?).

Field was in beautiful shape. The weatherman cooperated and it was a mild 80 degrees with several hundred in attendance.

Thanks for your observations. It was good that the recent football roster could be opened in another window to see who was involved when you just mentioned numbers.

Interesting worst play. I hope that such plays don't carry over to actual games as they unfortunately have tended to do.

It's nice to see football back!!!!

I gave my thoughts on TJ coming out of HS a few years ago & got roasted on here. I don’t think he will contribute much at Purdue this year.
What are the thoughts? And if he doesn’t we really dropped the ball on converting rondale Moore’s presence here into something other than what we had before moore. Jackson anthrop will make plays but like Horvath he won’t threaten defenses enough to create a pick your poison scenario.

What are the thoughts? And if he doesn’t we really dropped the ball on converting rondale Moore’s presence here into something other than what we had before moore. Jackson anthrop will make plays but like Horvath he won’t threaten defenses enough to create a pick your poison scenario.
I wasn’t really high on him coming out of HS. His 4 Star ranking was given to him early on & when more film of him came out he dropped to a mid 3 Star which I felt was more accurate. He had offers from some schools early, but after visiting those schools and working out for staffs, most stopped recruiting him. He tried committing at two other schools to lock down a spot, but both passed.
The thing I don’t think ever was reported over here is that of his “final group” he wasn’t a take at all but one, and it was reported elsewhere he wasn’t a take at Purdue either, but the situation allowed it. I don’t think he will make an impact at Purdue because he struggles to get separation against P5 level DBs & doesn’t have elite hands or great route running, so not really sure what is role will be.

I wasn’t really high on him coming out of HS. His 4 Star ranking was given to him early on & when more film of him came out he dropped to a mid 3 Star which I felt was more accurate. He had offers from some schools early, but after visiting those schools and working out for staffs, most stopped recruiting him. He tried committing at two other schools to lock down a spot, but both passed.
The thing I don’t think ever was reported over here is that of his “final group” he wasn’t a take at all but one, and it was reported elsewhere he wasn’t a take at Purdue either, but the situation allowed it. I don’t think he will make an impact at Purdue because he struggles to get separation against P5 level DBs & doesn’t have elite hands or great route running, so not really sure what is role will be.
So he doesn’t have the athleticism of a slot receiver? He doesn’t need to beat corners from the slot .. he just needs to work the underneath against linebackers and safeties.. and then of course if most teams put a corner in the middle of the field, Purdue can run the ball in that direction.

is he more athletic than Jackson anthrop? Who, by the way, is a fine player.. he doesn’t suck at all. We just need a little extra juice there even if it’s only half the time

So he doesn’t have the athleticism of a slot receiver? He doesn’t need to beat corners from the slot .. he just needs to work the underneath against linebackers and safeties.. and then of course if most teams put a corner in the middle of the field, Purdue can run the ball in that direction.

is he more athletic than Jackson anthrop? Who, by the way, is a fine player.. he doesn’t suck at all. We just need a little extra juice there even if it’s only half the time
Didn’t say he sucked, said he won’t make an impact. He played in all 6 games last year & had 2 catches for 6 yards. He is a backup at Purdue, not an impact player.

Didn’t say he sucked, said he won’t make an impact. He played in all 6 games last year & had 2 catches for 6 yards. He is a backup at Purdue, not an impact player.
As a freshman… drew Brees made appearances as a freshman and didn’t do anything either. Hell Alexander is in his what fourth year on campus and he’s only shown flashes of good. If it’s the same 2-3 games into this year then yes ok.

I get that you’re a ND fan and that’s great … I try not to hold our guys right the standard of “would they stop the presses at ND, Alabama etc come commitment time.

As a freshman… drew Brees made appearances as a freshman and didn’t do anything either. Hell Alexander is in his what fourth year on campus and he’s only shown flashes of good. If it’s the same 2-3 games into this year then yes ok.

I get that you’re a ND fan and that’s great … I try not to hold our guys right the standard of “would they stop the presses at ND, Alabama etc come commitment time.
He played in 2019 also, last year was his second year at Purdue. I’m not comparing him to those programs, I’m saying on Purdue, he is a two deep guy, not an impact player. I think Purdue has better players then him who will outperform him.

Isnt it cool that ND fans share their great knowledge and insight with us?They are just so brilliant.They even think that Rudy is a great movie.Its a shame that Purdue fans just arent as smart as they are.

Reactions: DAG10
Isnt it cool that ND fans share their great knowledge and insight with us?They are just so brilliant.They even think that Rudy is a great movie.Its a shame that Purdue fans just arent as smart as they are.
You are welcome.
As it has been discussed on this very board before, I’m very close & teammates with former Purdue players & current trainers who work with Purdue. So I’m around a lot of Purdue info. And I do have a pretty good knowledge about TJ, which is the matter of this conversation, & spoke about him three years ago on this board before he even committed to Purdue.
You do realize that people can have knowledge about a team without being a fan of said team? I’m betting many of the people who have covered Purdue over the years on these sites aren’t Purdue fans?

Reactions: mediaexpert
You are welcome.
As it has been discussed on this very board before, I’m very close & teammates with former Purdue players & current trainers who work with Purdue. So I’m around a lot of Purdue info. And I do have a pretty good knowledge about TJ, which is the matter of this conversation, & spoke about him three years ago on this board before he even committed to Purdue.
You do realize that people can have knowledge about a team without being a fan of said team? I’m betting many of the people who have covered Purdue over the years on these sites aren’t Purdue fans?
I am glad for you that you have so much inside information.If you never post here again,you wont be missed.

You are welcome.

He was a pretty solid return Man last year... If nothing else he has that going for him

He played in 2019 also, last year was his second year at Purdue. I’m not comparing him to those programs, I’m saying on Purdue, he is a two deep guy, not an impact player. I think Purdue has better players then him who will outperform him.
At the slot? Who? I believe he was still a Rfr. If I’m not mistaken. If he comes out this year and he’s got 4 catches for 39 yards after three games I’ll adjust accordingly

He was a pretty solid return Man last year... If nothing else he has that going for him
Nope.. we need him to be a slot receiver this year. Anything less and there’s another guy defenses can cheat off of.

less aware fans will say “hey anthrop and Horvath are productive” not realizing that defenses are sufficiently widened out on bell and Wright with Durham covered.

if sheffield were yet another post 03 disappointment we’d go from wanting more from king doerue to needing a lot more

You are welcome.
Come on...what is your "pretty good knowledge about TJ"?

You saw some video...you read some things...and, then because ND dropped him, he was deemed "not very good" essentially.

I have no idea how genuinely good he is...but, to act like you knew he had no chance to play P5 football is pretty crazy. Perhaps he never would have played at ND, again, I have no idea...but, to write him off at this point anywhere is bold, and, not the basis of any true knowledge.

I personally don't care about your Purdue connections as they do not make you a Purdue fan in any way per se...I have a million ND connections, yet, admittedly can't stand ND...and I don't spend time on their board sharing my thoughts on their guys...including several that I know a great deal about. If coaches there feel like they can play or have a chance to make a difference...odds are they know better than me on such...same applies here...if Purdue feels like he can play and at some point make a difference, I am guessing that he possesses the ability to do so.

Maybe spend some time trying to figure out why ND can't beat the best teams in the country while pretending as if they are one rather than why someone is not starting at this point early in their career at WR for Purdue...that is something that you might have some true "pretty good knowledge" of opposed the situation here.

Reactions: purduepat1969

Most interesting play: Alaimo sprint out right to Pferiri for a 10 yard gain. (QB to former QB)

Best pass: Beautiful spiral in the middle of the field to David from AOC for a 50 yard TD!

Worst play: #2 is roughed up by #26 on medium level pass. #2 hurls ball and hits #26 in the back. JaMarcus has #2 run length of field and do some push-ups. JaMarcus not happy (and he usually is).

#5 in backfield many times! Limited by the fact they weren’t fully padded, so he backed off. Could have had 4 to 5 sacks.

In 7 on 7, defense #24 and #27 came up lame about 3 plays apart. #24 was walking around later, #27 wasn’t.

Shocking drop by David with Trice covering. Very physical play, but it hit David in the hands.

I said this about Elijah and Blough, Elijah just seemed to have a little more zip on the ball. Alaimo (IMO) has that same zip.

Purdue football should be proud of the way they presented things tonight. Couple of nice interviews on the video screen (can I say jumboTron, or is that racist?).

Field was in beautiful shape. The weatherman cooperated and it was a mild 80 degrees with several hundred in attendance.
nice to see #1 was mentioned by you 3X's and glad the field was looking good too.

Come on...what is your "pretty good knowledge about TJ"?

You saw some video...you read some things...and, then because ND dropped him, he was deemed "not very good" essentially.

I have no idea how genuinely good he is...but, to act like you knew he had no chance to play P5 football is pretty crazy. Perhaps he never would have played at ND, again, I have no idea...but, to write him off at this point anywhere is bold, and, not the basis of any true knowledge.

I personally don't care about your Purdue connections as they do not make you a Purdue fan in any way per se...I have a million ND connections, yet, admittedly can't stand ND...and I don't spend time on their board sharing my thoughts on their guys...including several that I know a great deal about. If coaches there feel like they can play or have a chance to make a difference...odds are they know better than me on such...same applies here...if Purdue feels like he can play and at some point make a difference, I am guessing that he possesses the ability to do so.

Maybe spend some time trying to figure out why ND can't beat the best teams in the country while pretending as if they are one rather than why someone is not starting at this point early in their career at WR for Purdue...that is something that you might have some true "pretty good knowledge" of opposed the situation here.
I agree with you on sheffield .. I’m giving him a third of this season to show that he can add another dimension to the slot before forming an opinion, but this dude hasn’t been anything like the obnoxious ND trolls we used to get here in 2005

Reactions: tjreese and krf3632

And for my 2K post...it's a thanks to you, Dandy! Always appreciate you being there and providing your view of the field. please keep'em coming!

I agree with you on sheffield .. I’m giving him a third of this season to show that he can add another dimension to the slot before forming an opinion, but this dude hasn’t been anything like the obnoxious ND trolls we used to get here in 2005

1/3rd of a season? How generous! Glad you don't make the personnel decisions for the team!

The best part is, as an average Joe you get to sit back and watch these kids perform. Why not do that? Why throw in the towel on a kid?

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
1/3rd of a season? How generous! Glad you don't make the personnel decisions for the team!

The best part is, as an average Joe you get to sit back and watch these kids perform. Why not do that? Why throw in the towel on a kid?
No see what’s so funny is you think I’m the one who doesn’t have it figured out .. he’s entering his third year and not playing up front. Do you know what good coaches do when they’ve known they wouldn’t have rondale moore past last season for a long time? They get guys like sheffield on the field producing.

they don’t sit there knowing they they are gonna lose Jones and know at the end of 2018 and here we are three years later, five years after we got the job and we have Zander Horvath and who knows what in king Doerue.

80% of brohms good recruits have been skill players. It’s time to see skill players hit the field and make plays in year 3 on campus.

ah… going the 85 route “you’re quitting on him.” Wtf?? You act like I’m saying “well if he doesn’t make plays he should be off the team.” I’m talking about what I will expect… let’s go through the checklist of things that are coming together for sheffield

> two QBs who have put up big numbers are back
> 8 linemen have played
> productive RB and really good TE back
> one outside receiver who is a phenomenal athlete who can make teams pay with big plays … another one who is one of the best in America vacuuming attention to the third level

the dude is gonna be operating in Lake Michigan … if he doesn’t make plays early, I don’t know what situation is coming later that will help him.. what? Are we gonna get Orlando pace, drew Brees and Ron dayne?

to me, Payne Durham is better than I think some may believe. Opposing coaches are going to take him and the outside receivers away.. the runningbacks and slot receivers have it right in front of them.

you guys act like we are talking about high school players. Me waiting four games in and saying “yeah he’s not a playmaker at this level” I’d that’s the case, is not the same as saying it about ten year olds mr participation trophy

by the way… you insult antavian Edison when you act like every player at his position is really good to be a nice guy. He was good. If sheffield is good you say so. If he’s not … you don’t pretend he is to be a pop Warner dad

Sorry for posting two days later and props to Dandelion’s details. Having also attended Friday evenings practice, here is few other observations I could add.
1) 1s LBs were Graham, Fakasiieiki, OC Brothers
2) Alexander was running with the 2s but did not seem to be sulking, was very active and animated.
3) Demarcus Mitchell was running with the 2s.
4) 1’s DTs were Johnson and Lewis.
5) I can confirm Sheffield’s presence and witnessed at least one beating of a defender and deep ball catch.
6) I saw nothing really eye catching to separate one QB above the others but Alaimo and Burton seemed behind Plummer and Aidan.
7) Fineran looked great kicking. I watched him during one session where they let the kickers use one goal post and he did not miss. Twice they stopped a scrimmage to throw the kickers in for 41 yard field goal attempts and he made both with everyone watching.
8) Scrimmage were also stopped a couple times to send in the punter and Ansell had a mixed performance. The first one shanked for maybe 30yds and the second spiraled for 45yds.
9) Of the true freshmen, three stood out for me. Tristan Cox, Jaelin Alstott Vandevanter, and Preston Terrell wherby they did something or were somewhere that caught my attention and I had to look up their number to find a name.
10) In 7 on 7 and 11 on 11, Defense seemed ahead of the offense. Maybe not surprising right now.
11) Brohm spent significant time watching the Defense practice and drills. That might be something new.
12) A fantastic evening and I appreciated the fan access.

Last edited:
I definitely agree, defense ahead of offense, that’s what I saw Saturday, wow it was hot watching practice

Sorry for posting two days later and props to Dandelion’s details. Having also attended Friday evenings practice, here is few other observations I could add.
2) Alexander was running with the 2s but did not seem to be sulking, was very active and animated.
5) I can confirm Sheffield’s presence and witnessed at least one beating of a defender and deep ball catch.
6) I saw nothing really eye catching to separate one QB above the others but Alaimo and Burton seemed behind Plummer and Aidan.
7) Fineran looked great kicking. I watched him during one session where they let the kickers use one goal post and he did not miss. Twice they stopped a scrimmage to throw the kickers in for 41 yard field goal attempts and he made both with everyone watching.
8) Scrimmage were also stopped a couple times to send in the punter and Ansell had a mixed performance. The first one shanked for maybe 30yds and the second spiraled for 45yds.
9) Of the true freshmen, three stood out for me. Tristan Cox, Jaelin Alstott Vandevanter, and Preston Terrell wherby they did something or were somewhere that caught my attention and I had to look up their number to find a name.
10) In 7 on 7 and 11 on 11, Defense seemed ahead of the offense. Maybe not surprising right now.
11) Brohm spent significant time watching the Defense practice and drills. That might be something new.
Who was the number one defensive end opposite George?

this fakasiieki thing is gonna go one of two ways if they have him out there against passing teams:

1) either he was just learning the game and this year when it fully slows down he’s gonna show that he had the speed to cover the pass all along OR
2) the player I saw is the player he is and we are going to get abused at the second level by quality passing teams

Who was the number one defensive end opposite George?

this fakasiieki thing is gonna go one of two ways if they have him out there against passing teams:

1) either he was just learning the game and this year when it fully slows down he’s gonna show that he had the speed to cover the pass all along OR
2) the player I saw is the player he is and we are going to get abused at the second level by quality passing teams
With Karlaftis and 3 others + occasional blitzing an additional LB/CB, there won’t be too much time to pick us apart like last year with only 3 man front.

Same question as BC, who was the other DE...Anderson?

With Karlaftis and 3 others + occasional blitzing an additional LB/CB, there won’t be too much time to pick us apart like last year with only 3 man front.
One concerning thing I heard on an ND podcast is that despite all the good things Marshall’s defense did under lambert.. they were terrible in TFL, ranking near the bottom.

I look at it differently … QBs, especially Oregon state, excel at picking up the blitz and hitting a hot receiver. You want to get a four man rush then hold coverage long enough for karlaftis to get home ..

This is year five .. for Alexander I think it’s his fourth year in the program. He needs to pass a fakasiieki and show that he’s a legit big ten starter at this point. Hell.. we’ve played against many coaches over my 23 years of following who would have Alexander looking like a monster by now and would have Khali Saunders ready to go.

you think Kirk ferentz and the strength coach who got fired for reasons other than his strength coaching wouldn’t have Alexander and Saunders ready to go?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT