ADVERTISEMENT

A defining moment is coming up.

Yep. O Coordinator went to sideline on 2nd and 27... for a half million dollars I can do better than that b.s.
Incomplete review due to O Coordinator non agressive play calling.

How odd. Sindelar throws for 376 against one of the better defenses in the BIG. His only INT was a deflection. I guess I missed the part where he had blocking responsibilities on all those 4th and shorts? No wonder people blame him for the game's outcome. (sarcasm).

How odd. Sindelar throws for 376 against one of the better defenses in the BIG. His only INT was a deflection. I guess I missed the part where he had blocking responsibilities on all those 4th and shorts? No wonder people blame him for the game's outcome. (sarcasm).
Think they would like him to not have waited 2 1/2 quarters to turn find his accuracy.

Think they would like him to not have waited 2 1/2 quarters to turn find his accuracy.
I don't disagree, however, his receivers were not getting open in the first half either. Combine that with an attempt to run the ball 50% of the time, and you have a much watered down passing attack. When you can't run the ball, that is on the O-Line. It took the coaching staff about a half to figure out that NW owned the line of scrimmage, forcing us to pass.

The appearance that suddenly Sindelar got into rhythm and was able to get his passing attack going is really a false twist to the game. What I think was really happening was an all-out commitment to pass in the second half. They stopped running the ball and let the QB use all 3 downs to pass. SIndelar finished with 60 attempts, after all the running attempts in the first half so you can tell the whole game plan shifted in the second half.

Give me 1st downs on all those 4th & shorts, and I think we win. The O-Line was the issue, and will continue to be the issue. Not the QB.

He is a good, but not great QB. There are little things such as staring down receivers, not pump faking, getting to second or third progression, touch passes, that all separates good from great. There are few QB’s that have “IT” factor. Can it be trained? I doubt that, but improvements in all those areas are possible. Was just wanting to see some magic happen last night.
He and Purdue will get better. I have to reset my expectations.

It took the coaching staff about a half to figure out that NW owned the line of scrimmage, forcing us to pass.

you don't feel brohm expected this coming in?
i just imagined most had Oline concerns to begin with.

was almost verbatim on matchup previews
"their combined pressure will likely cause problems for the Boilermakers, especially if there’s more of an emphasis on trying to run the ball"

you don't feel brohm expected this coming in?
i just imagined most had Oline concerns to begin with.

was almost verbatim on matchup previews
"their combined pressure will likely cause problems for the Boilermakers, especially if there’s more of an emphasis on trying to run the ball"
I am sure he had these concerns going in. However, you really can't concede the running game without trying to make it work. You need to pit your boys against theirs to really find out. Would you concede the run just from looking at the film of other games? I sure as hell would not.

I am sure he had these concerns going in. However, you really can't concede the running game without trying to make it work. You need to pit your boys against theirs to really find out. Would you concede the run just from looking at the film of other games? I sure as hell would not.

concede? no
referring to making it the early emphasis, or on the repeated short yardage

most surprised it took a half to change plan/play calling as you pointed out above...
thought brohm usually did a good job adjusting quicker than that or even on the fly

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy
The 4th quarter and 1/2 of the 3rd was pretty good in the passing, it was like a different team. This has got to show Sindelar and the receivers that they can do it.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
He is a good, but not great QB. There are little things such as staring down receivers, not pump faking, getting to second or third progression, touch passes, that all separates good from great. There are few QB’s that have “IT” factor. Can it be trained? I doubt that, but improvements in all those areas are possible. Was just wanting to see some magic happen last night.
He and Purdue will get better. I have to reset my expectations.
You have to have enough time to go through progressions...our OL didn't give him enough time nor did they adequately protected him. Norm

You have to have enough time to go through progressions...our OL didn't give him enough time nor did they adequately protected him. Norm
He could still look off a receiver and go to second receiver or pump fake once. In large part though I agree, yet isn’t that when Purdue should move the pocket? All a function of coaching and Offensive coordinator work.

I admit I have to manage my expectations better.

He could still look off a receiver and go to second receiver or pump fake once. In large part though I agree, yet isn’t that when Purdue should move the pocket? All a function of coaching and Offensive coordinator work.

I admit I have to manage my expectations better.

No he couldn’t. Their dline at our oline’s lunch

No he couldn’t. Their dline at our oline’s lunch
Ok. Again, I say change the protection (shotgun, and keep a back in for protection to the weakest link...i.e. left side). There is either lack of planning or lack of in game adjustment, but it should be done. To get the receiver open, use the skill sets that make QB's great. There are no excuses on gameday. Either coach doesn't have them ready or QB isn't ready when the defense is flying live.
How do we go from 2.5 Qtrs going nowhere to scoring 13 pts in the final 20 minutes of the game.
Granted their DB was ejected and we started picking on the replacement & we started using more of the T.E.'s. Where was that all game long? We ran the John Shoop (Pooped) offense too much laterally. 2 yards and a cloud of dust will win a very low % of the time. We have seen that already. In fact, one of the lateral passes should have been picked for 6 early on. That should be enough to say, if we are going to pass, we need to go 5-15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage EVERY time.

Ok. Again, I say change the protection (shotgun, and keep a back in for protection to the weakest link...i.e. left side). There is either lack of planning or lack of in game adjustment, but it should be done. To get the receiver open, use the skill sets that make QB's great. There are no excuses on gameday. Either coach doesn't have them ready or QB isn't ready when the defense is flying live.
How do we go from 2.5 Qtrs going nowhere to scoring 13 pts in the final 20 minutes of the game.
Granted their DB was ejected and we started picking on the replacement & we started using more of the T.E.'s. Where was that all game long? We ran the John Shoop (Pooped) offense too much laterally. 2 yards and a cloud of dust will win a very low % of the time. We have seen that already. In fact, one of the lateral passes should have been picked for 6 early on. That should be enough to say, if we are going to pass, we need to go 5-15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage EVERY time.

Shoop didnt run a lateral offense. That was Nord, and it was the correct offense given the talent we had on the lines. Same this time. You cant go deep if you cant protect the QB.

Also, noone else sense the issue when a former QB and a walkon are your leading receivers? There is little talent at WR to help the QB. Comparing him to Painter is ridiculous. Painter had a lot more talent at WR and TE than any QB i have seen in the last 30 years. That isnt hyperbole either.

Painter had Kory Sheets at RB, Dustin Keller at TE, Dorien Bryant, Greg Orton, Dez Tardy, and Selwyn Lymon at WR at points in his career. The comparison can't even be made at this point.

Painter had Kory Sheets at RB, Dustin Keller at TE, Dorien Bryant, Greg Orton, Dez Tardy, and Selwyn Lymon at WR at points in his career. The comparison can't even be made at this point.

What’s that got to do with the fact both had/ have terrible accuracy in their first season?

What’s that got to do with the fact both had/ have terrible accuracy in their first season?

Its a lot easier to throw to a wide open Dorien Bryant or Dustin Keller than it is to throw to a covered Phillips, Mohoungou.

Sindelar has his issues, but there have been a lot of drops. Some of that is the velocity he puts on the ball, but a lot of it is untalented WRs.

Its a lot easier to throw to a wide open Dorien Bryant or Dustin Keller than it is to throw to a covered Phillips, Mohoungou.

Sindelar has his issues, but there have been a lot of drops. Some of that is the velocity he puts on the ball, but a lot of it is untalented WRs.
If it was easier why was Curtis a cool 52% completion?

My point was they both struggled with accuracy issues. That’s similar. It wasn’t that deep folks.

Exactly. You have an opinion. BFD.

Cool story!

If it was easier why was Curtis a cool 52% completion?

My point was they both struggled with accuracy issues. That’s similar. It wasn’t that deep folks.

Cool story!

That offense was incredibly shitty that year. It was the Utah spread for Kirsch that was an epic disaster.

Painter ran the option the last 5 games. Taking hits doesnt help when making throws.

That offense was incredibly shitty that year. It was the Utah spread for Kirsch that was an epic disaster.

Painter ran the option the last 5 games. Taking hits doesnt help when making throws.
In 4 years only his junior season did he hit 60%. He was never an accurate thrower. Great strong arm. Just wasn’t all that accurate.

All 3 QBs will have an entire offseason to cement the playbook in their heads, hoping this will show out in greater results in 2018.

Now the OLine is a different story, still a work in progress, but the time in the weight room, will continue to pay big dividends. I can still see Coach bringing in 5th year lineman, too build depth.
A better year than I anticipated for this FB team, the rebuild of this team continues and it is trending Up!!

Reactions: Bippus33
Shoop didnt run a lateral offense. That was Nord, and it was the correct offense given the talent we had on the lines. Same this time. You cant go deep if you cant protect the QB.

Also, noone else sense the issue when a former QB and a walkon are your leading receivers? There is little talent at WR to help the QB. Comparing him to Painter is ridiculous. Painter had a lot more talent at WR and TE than any QB i have seen in the last 30 years. That isnt hyperbole either.
Where did I compare him to Painter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT