ADVERTISEMENT

Loyer is the Key

I don't think there's any factual basis for that opinion. I don't mean that as an insult but Myles objectively a worse rebounder and defender than either Loyer or Morton and the view that 'he can't be any worse' is hopelessly flawed.
Not talking about Morton. He’s as bad on offense as Myles is on defense.

If you think Fletch was anything other than bad on D and rebounding yesterday, then we can agree to disagree. He had ONE rebound and got roasted on D a bunch.

Combine that with 1-7 FG and he needs a ticket to Pine City…IMO…

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Agree with pushing tempo and running plays for shooters. Gillis and Loyer were not able to get open yesterday without help.

It looks to me like something’s going on with Loyer… illness, stress beyond hoops, burning the candle at both ends somehow, romantic relationship problems… something… maybe just the pressure of his role taking a toll.

And/or teams have figured him out and know both how to defend him & how to exploit matchups vs. him on offense… there’s some of this maybe, but I don’t think this is most of it.

I hope if there is stuff negatively impacting Fletch that he gets help & gets back on track.

And yet, you know coaches/"experts" are human too and have blind spots of their own, right?
We can all benefit from questioning our own beliefs and convictions, and that includes Painter.
Agree and 90% of the adjustments that coaches make you (and I) won't see or notice, just as we can make assumptions about poor play being due to game plan versus execution but the truth is we don't really know.

Zero issue with you or anyone questioning or challenging Painter and staff. I do find the assumption that Painter is stubborn because he doesn't make the changes that you or I want to see to be intellectually lazy and self indulgent. I'm not saying that to call you names, I fall into the same trap, it's very natural as a fan to assume that we know and understand WAY more than we do.

I hope and trust that Matt and staff will learn from mistakes and make adjustments but am also ok with the fact that it's out of my control and I'll just have to watch it unfold.

After Battle hitting 3 in a row, Morton was put in the game and Battle went cold and became a willing passer for the next 5 minutes until Morton was subbed out.
Yeah, I don't know why some find this so hard to admit. Morton is not a great defensive matchup against everyone but on a guy like Battle or Christie he's really, really good. Same crows that harps on him resulting in 4 on 5 on offense despite the fact that he played a bunch of minutes in the second half against MN when we put up 49.

What was tough yesterday is that he was needed on defense but because the rest of the offense wasn't clicking he became on offensive liability and made things worse.

After Battle hitting 3 in a row, Morton was put in the game and Battle went cold and became a willing passer for the next 5 minutes until Morton was subbed out.
That's not even close to being accurate:

1. Battle's last 3 was at the 14:21 Mark
  2. Morton came in at the 13:55 mark and Battle immediately shot a 3 over him that missed
  3. Smith forced a backcourt error on OSU's next possesion and they pushed ball back into the front court for a shot as the shot clock expired
  4. OSU's PG kept the ball on the next poseesion for an easy jumper at the FT line
  5. OSU's PG scored on a fast break layup on the next posession
  6. Battle was subbed out at 11:44. At no point did OSU run a normal offensive set between Battle attempting a 3 over Morton and Battle being subbed out.
  7. Battle came back in at 7:30 and Morton guarded #2

Yeah, I don't know why some find this so hard to admit. Morton is not a great defensive matchup against everyone but on a guy like Battle or Christie he's really, really good. Same crows that harps on him resulting in 4 on 5 on offense despite the fact that he played a bunch of minutes in the second half against MN when we put up 49.

What was tough yesterday is that he was needed on defense but because the rest of the offense wasn't clicking he became on offensive liability and made things worse.
Because Morton shutting down Battle never even happened. When did he fair well against Christie? I'll go back and watch. That's one of the few games I didn't catch this year.

Agree and 90% of the adjustments that coaches make you (and I) won't see or notice, just as we can make assumptions about poor play being due to game plan versus execution but the truth is we don't really know.

Zero issue with you or anyone questioning or challenging Painter and staff. I do find the assumption that Painter is stubborn because he doesn't make the changes that you or I want to see to be intellectually lazy and self indulgent. I'm not saying that to call you names, I fall into the same trap, it's very natural as a fan to assume that we know and understand WAY more than we do.

I hope and trust that Matt and staff will learn from mistakes and make adjustments but am also ok with the fact that it's out of my control and I'll just have to watch it unfold.
I hear you and appreciate the response. In my opinion, I think it's more than just an assumption to say Painter is stubborn. This isn't some one-off thing.

Because Morton shutting down Battle never even happened. When did he fair well against Christie? I'll go back and watch. That's one of the few games I didn't catch this year.

Watch the second half against Minnesota - thought Ethan Morton did a nice job with both contesting without fouling and chasing/denial.....ran through a screener for good measure too haha....IIRC.

Now yesterday, I think he'll admit wasn't as successful....not quite as much energy to me, but that's just a layman observation. The last foul was tough - close call but correct, and he usually at least contests in that situation without a foul.

There is no one ready to take Loyers minutes. It is what it is. Colvin/heide/Morton are inferior choices to get a majority of his minutes.

He is the difference between a 2nd exit in the dance and no Bigten title and a bigten title and a final 4. He needs to play better simple as that. Be in the right position on defense, make your 3s at above 40% and make good decisions when you drive the basketball. We need him to be the player he was against gonzaga and arizona to win a natty for the season to be a successful one.

There is no one ready to take Loyers minutes. It is what it is. Colvin/heide/Morton are inferior choices to get a majority of his minutes.

He is the difference between a 2nd exit in the dance and no Bigten title and a bigten title and a final 4. He needs to play better simple as that. Be in the right position on defense, make your 3s at above 40% and make good decisions when you drive the basketball. We need him to be the player he was against gonzaga and arizona to win a natty for the season to be a successful one.
Yeah, I wish that weren't the case and maybe Myles will surprise people and step up but I think you're right. Zach will do his thing, it's all about Braden, Fletcher and Lance this season.

This is true. He looked timid especially when he bricked that wide open look during a transition in the first half. I know he drives and gets into the lane but seemingly isn’t good at selling the foul. Not sure if refs don’t bite or if he needs to make it more obvious. Regardless, Loyer being in a groove will be the difference come March.

Reactions: Boiler8285
This is true. He looked timid especially when he bricked that wide open look during a transition in the first half. I know he drives and gets into the lane but seemingly isn’t good at selling the foul. Not sure if refs don’t bite or if he needs to make it more obvious. Regardless, Loyer being in a groove will be the difference come March.
I actually think he needs to try and sell fouls less, not more. He's getting to the point now where he is starting to fall down before he even completes the shot. Just go strong and complete the shot, quit falling down with minimal contact. Give yourself a chance to make the shot instead of hunting for the foul.

And how fast Coach Painter reacts and responds to his off shooting nights will tell the story on how far Purdue goes for the remainder of this season!
I understand this sentiment, but don't we have enough guys afraid to shoot the ball already. If you start Loyer and bench him if he doesn't hit his first few shots, I'm not sure that's going to encourage him to shoot when he is in the games. It's a conundrum for sure.

I hear you and appreciate the response. In my opinion, I think it's more than just an assumption to say Painter is stubborn. This isn't some one-off thing.
I guess I'd have to understand specifically what you're referring to to agree or disagree with you. Most of the time when I hear fans call him stubborn it's because they disagree with his general philosophy (won't play zone, recruits offensive skill over raw athleticism when having to choose one over the other, etc.) or their statements are flat out wrong , i.e. he won't change his offensive approach (which he has many times based on personnel), he needs to recruit more modern bigs (he often recruits more mobile bigs but has often missed in landing them), he doesn't let young players play through mistakes (he does if they're good enough i.e. Biggie, Carsen, Jaden) etc.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
And how fast Coach Painter reacts and responds to his off shooting nights will tell the story on how far Purdue goes for the remainder of this season!
Loyer is a big problem in the tournament. Not strong or athletic enough. I don't care about off shooting nights but his ball handling and defense are sub par. Not because of effort or know how but ability and that's what gets you beat. Who's he guarding against houston or uconn? Who on their team can't take him out of a game defensively.

I guess I'd have to understand specifically what you're referring to to agree or disagree with you. Most of the time when I hear fans call him stubborn it's because they disagree with his general philosophy (won't play zone, recruits offensive skill over raw athleticism when having to choose one over the other, etc.) or their statements are flat out wrong , i.e. he won't change his offensive approach (which he has many times based on personnel), he needs to recruit more modern bigs (he often recruits more mobile bigs but has often missed in landing them), he doesn't let young players play through mistakes (he does if they're good enough i.e. Biggie, Carsen, Jaden) etc.
From the start of the season we needed Colvin and or heide to be ready to go in March to make a run. Maybe they weren't good enough, mature enough, coached up enough or whatever but purdues got a glaring weakness. It's the same one as last year. Jones is a plus but it's very obvious what will get us beat.

From the start of the season we needed Colvin and or heide to be ready to go in March to make a run. Maybe they weren't good enough, mature enough, coached up enough or whatever but purdues got a glaring weakness. It's the same one as last year. Jones is a plus but it's very obvious what will get us beat.
I'm not following your point. Is that intended to be an example of Painter being 'stubborn'?

Loyer is a big problem in the tournament. Not strong or athletic enough. I don't care about off shooting nights but his ball handling and defense are sub par. Not because of effort or know how but ability and that's what gets you beat. Who's he guarding against houston or uconn? Who on their team can't take him out of a game defensively.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if he could play offense or defense against UConn, Houston, Auburn, Kentucky. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head with as physical and quick athletes on the perimeter as those 4.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if he could play offense or defense against UConn, Houston, Auburn, Kentucky. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head with as physical and quick athletes on the perimeter as those 4.
Hmmmmmm…..Gooood olllll rocky toppppppp….Fight, wildcats, Fight!

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Lololol. Must have forgot we beat that orange team that went into Rupp and dismantled UK and we beat an Arizona team that has some athletes/nba talent haha.
Whataboutism. The topic is whether Loyer could handle Auburn and Kentucky's guards. Not whether or not we could beat either team.

Last edited:
Lololol. Must have forgot we beat that orange team that went into Rupp and dismantled UK and we beat an Arizona team that has some athletes/nba talent haha.
The main point is what happens in March. We have a very long history of beating good teams in December and Jan then getting beat in March. I have my opinion as to why.

This is an outstanding post!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Nope. Zona is soft. Auburn and Kentucky's guards >>> Tennessee's guards
Considering UT’s top 4 guards scored more, had more boards, assists and less turnovers AT Rupp compared to UK’s top 4 guards, yes, yes I do think UT has better guards than UK. Auburns overall offense just put up 59 at home vs UKs horrible defense.

Whataboutism. The topic is whether Loyer could handle Auburn and Kentucky's guards. Not whether or not we could beat either team.
The post said “Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head with as physical and quick athletes on the perimeter as those 4.”

I responded with UT and Zona. UT was super physical (remember the Maui foul fest) and they are athletic and really good. Knecht is the best offensive guard in the country.

The main point is what happens in March. We have a very long history of beating good teams in December and Jan then getting beat in March. I have my opinion as to why.
“Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head with as physical and quick athletes on the perimeter as those 4.“

I was responding to this statement and named UT and zona. Zona may not be physical but they are just as quick and good as those guards listed.

Considering UT’s top 4 guards scored more, had more boards, assists and less turnovers AT Rupp compared to UK’s top 4 guards, yes, yes I do think UT has better guards than UK. Auburns overall offense just put up 59 at home vs UKs horrible defense.
I'll take the "L" on the Vols. I really thought Knecht (6'6) and James (6'7) were SF's. I didn't realize UT lists them as Guards on their roster. Auburn has Bruce Pearl (who preaches physical D and uptempo play) and NBA talent at the guards spots. That makes me nervous to see in the Tourney.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Zona. I don't think they're very physical at the guard spots. Quick as hell. But I didn't think they they were physical.

Edit: I see your post regarding Zona. Loyer scares me against a quick AND physical group of guards. I would love if we saw teams in the Tourney like Zona who will let Smith and Loyer run with open shots.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Kind of like how you agreed with a post that wasn't even factual (Morton didn't shut down Battle for 5 minutes).
Look at PPG on defense when Morton was in versus when he was out. You got me, I didn't watch the film to see who he guarded but the data supports that the defense was better when he was in.

Your post on Loyer fundamentally ignores that athletic teams have tried to be physical with him and he's torched them. If you want to say that he's inconsistent in his effectiveness in scoring inside the arc when he gets run off the three point line, particularly if he's not getting whistles, I'd agree with you. Saying that all those teams would make him look bad on offense and defense is extremely hyperbolic.

I'll take the "L" on the Vols. I really thought Knecht (6'6) and James (6'7) were SF's. I didn't realize UT lists them as Guards on their roster. Auburn has Bruce Pearl (who preaches physical D and uptempo play) and NBA talent at the guards spots. That makes me nervous to see in the Tourney.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Zona. I don't think they're very physical at the guard spots. Quick as hell. But I didn't think they they were physical.

Edit: I see your post regarding Zona. Loyer scares me against a quick AND physical group of guards. I would love if we saw teams in the Tourney like Zona who will let Smith and Loyer run with open shots.
Watching Houston Iowa state…not sure how Loyer would do against either one of them.

Unless, the refs really DO call it tighter more in the tourney like I’ve been told about how Zach will be screwed in the tourney without “Big ten Refs”…which btw…Zach avgs more FTAs and less fouls out of conference if anyone was wondering 😂

I honestly don't know in this case. Maybe he couldn't coach Colvin or heide up enough to trust them.
Or maybe they're just not what you want them to be, at least not yet? I think he trusts Cam, he's just not very polished offensively at this point (good spot up shooter though). I've posted this elsewhere but the expectations for Myles coming into the year were not fair to him given the low level of coaching (mostly hs) and competition he dealt with in high schools and AAU. Huge jump for him.

Look at PPG on defense when Morton was in versus when he was out. You got me, I didn't watch the film to see who he guarded but the data supports that the defense was better when he was in.

Your post on Loyer fundamentally ignores that athletic teams have tried to be physical with him and he's torched them. If you want to say that he's inconsistent in his effectiveness in scoring inside the arc when he gets run off the three point line, particularly if he's not getting whistles, I'd agree with you. Saying that all those teams would make him look bad on offense and defense is extremely hyperbolic.
I didn't see anything he did against Ohio State to contribute to the defense being significantly better. Slight upgrade? Possibly. Personally, I rather have offensive production from Colvin or Heide over Morton's defense. But, that ship has sailed and we'll never know if either one of them could have produced with more extended PT and freedom to make mistakes.

I would also agree with you that Loyer's had success against teams who've been physical. But, with the way he's currently playing, I'm not betting on him playing well against any backcourt that's a lethal combo of fast and physical.

Watching Houston Iowa state…not sure how Loyer would do against either one of them.

Unless, the refs really DO call it tighter more in the tourney like I’ve been told about how Zach will be screwed in the tourney without “Big ten Refs”…which btw…Zach avgs more FTAs and less fouls out of conference if anyone was wondering 😂
I started late and just finished it. Both of those teams have some 'dudes in the backcourt. I want to say Cryer (sp?) played on that National Title winning Baylor team. Too lazy to look it up right now. I think we would all agree that Purdue can play with any team in the country if we're clicking, but after watching nearly 2 months of consistent Big Ten play those teams just looked like WOW to me from a talent standpoint.

I started late and just finished it. Both of those teams have some 'dudes in the backcourt. I want to say Cryer (sp?) played on that National Title winning Baylor team. Too lazy to look it up right now. I think we would all agree that Purdue can play with any team in the country if we're clicking, but after watching nearly 2 months of consistent Big Ten play those teams just looked like WOW to me from a talent standpoint.
Yeah correct on Cryer. He was a dude we were recruiting but Ivey took his spot. I was hopeful we’d get him in the portal, but Lance has worked out well. Houston just can’t score very easily/well. Iowa state has been clickin as of late and their def is just as intense as Houston’s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT