ADVERTISEMENT

8 wins?

If I guaranteed you 8 total wins this year, would you take it or let the season play out?

• Take the 8

• Roll the dice and trust in brohm

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's what I see as realistic. 8 wins is two more than his first two years, and now it's his recruits and as I said, three years with Haze's boys. I'm really surprised you don't expect 8 wins this year. And I don't think I'm being abrasive at all.

With a red shirt sophomore expected to be pressed into duty on the offensive line, among other uncertainty, I don't see how you can expect anything other than improvement.

It takes a lot of time to shore up the line of scrimmage in recruiting and development, and only takes a few injuries to jack that up.

There is very little separating 5 wins from 8 wins, depending upon how the football gods behave.

With a red shirt sophomore expected to be pressed into duty on the offensive line, among other uncertainty, I don't see how you can expect anything other than improvement.

It takes a lot of time to shore up the line of scrimmage in recruiting and development, and only takes a few injuries to jack that up.

There is very little separating 5 wins from 8 wins, depending upon how the football gods behave.
Agree. I think 8 is the ceiling and I’d take that in a second. The B1G West may be the most improved division in CFB this year.

8 or more should be a Team Goal! Work toward a New Year’s Day bowl. Nothing wrong with having high expectations as a Coaching staff and Locker Room.

I could see 7-5 +/-1 depending heavily on both O.L. Jelling early in the season and have some luck with minimal injury bug.

Be content with 6, happy with 7, ecstatic with 8. Hope for fewer weaknesses going into ‘20

Move me up one on everything. Frustrated (But not disappointed or angry) ) with 6, content with 7, happy with 8, ecstatic with 9. Not that I have any illusions about our roster as currently constructed, but I just esteem our coaching staff that much. We need to be more disciplined and ready to start the season. We could have easily won seven or eight last year.

I'd take the 8, especially if I could make them all the B1G games except PSU. That would get a spot in the championship game.

It's hard seeing any of those road games being wins. Home games with Minnesota, Nebraska and TCU are toss-ups at best. Nevada isn't supposed to be good, but that game could be 90 degrees at kickoff and who knows.

It's silly to say 8 wins or bust for this team. Keep the Bucket, play in another bowl, and then enter 2020 as a top 25 team. That's real progress.

Accepting has nothing to do with anything. What any fan "accepts" is irrelevant.

The "accepting less" charge is an internet forum tactic, and has no meaning or basis.

You said it. Anyone who makes unrealistic demands upon a team and is challenged, uses the same tired response, which is to call anyone who disagrees with them a loser with low expectations that accepts mediocrity. You see it on every forum for every team on the Rivals site.

Last edited:
Move me up one on everything. Frustrated (But not disappointed or angry) ) with 6, content with 7, happy with 8, ecstatic with 9. Not that I have any illusions about our roster as currently constructed, but I just esteem our coaching staff that much. We need to be more disciplined and ready to start the season. We could have easily won seven or eight last year.

Everyone is sort of in the same boat in that regard, though

If the ball bounces the right way, a 7 win team can win 9. But if it doesn't, everyone could be very disappointed. There are some teams who were 9 win teams on paper who had tough luck and wound up with 7. I'd say it is fair to call 2019 a 7 win team that, with better-than average health and some good bounces can certainly win more. But if the Oline, which is already inexperienced and perhaps thin, gets banged up, for example, November could be long and difficult, and the team could fall short of 7.

Just get to November with no bad losses, and decent health, and then the opportunity is there.

If take the 8 in a heartbeat

The offensive line is a huge question

Sindelar's health is always a worry

the top 2 backs are gone

The defense gave up over 40 points a game the last 5 games of the season

With a tough nonconference schedule and an improving Big Ten west I'd be happy with anything better than last years 6 wins

Oh wise one (tic)....How long will Bo put up with that "building" if he doesn't start winning more than six and stays in the lesser bowl games. Year three is upon us and I'd bet more than what he's done to date would be the expectation. And I know as much about FB as you do.
Actually.... the likelihood is that if CJB does not win 8 or more games over the next two years the narrative turns into "CJB Rebuilds Down Trodden Purdue Football to Respectability" and he and his entire staff moves on to a higher level program before his stock falls. Real simple...

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Actually.... the likelihood is that if CJB does not win 8 or more games over the next two years the narrative turns into "CJB Rebuilds Down Trodden Purdue Football to Respectability" and he and his entire staff moves on to a higher level program before his stock falls. Real simple...

That's a theory, although I'm not sure how good of a theory it is.

What 'higher level' program would hire him after going (at best) 7-6, 6-7, 7-6. 7-6, in his 4 years at Purdue?

That doesn't sound logical or reasonable.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2

What 'higher level' program would hire him after going (at best) 7-6, 6-7, 7-6. 7-6, in his 4 years at Purdue?

IU would. It would be an upgrade for them. Oh wait, you said 'higher level'. Never mind.

IU would. It would be an upgrade for them. Oh wait, you said 'higher level'. Never mind.
What (some) people don't get is, Brohm has "made his bed", as it were.

If this doesn't work out at Purdue, he's not in a good spot. Going .500 over 4 years at Purdue puts him in a really tough spot.

If he continues to progress, the sky is the limit. If that happens, he stays at Purdue as long as the rest of the band stays together (Daniels & Bobinski). Once one of them departs, all bets are off.

Frankly, I've grown bored reading this forum with certain poster(s?) crapping on the Brohm hire, and the decision to retain him and pay him to stay and finish the job. The decisions have been made, for better or worse. For those posters, they need to move on, and stop whining on the forum like they're a dejected school girl writing in their diary.

Slow down Jocko...Purdue University is paying Brohm to do one thing....and that one thing is to win games. This is his third season...two prior to build his recruits, and put his system in. He's not being paid to teach Lit, or Art, or even how to run a printing machine. Yeah, that old thing of building a program might be a part of it, but his salary is based on the number of wins, with a bonus for different items...including graduating players, bowls made, bowls won, National titles, Big Ten titles.

Haze had the same exact type of contract...he didn't win games. He's gone and I'd expect the same thing of Brohm. If he can't win 8 games in the weakest divisions of the B10, and a fairly weak pre-season/non conference schedule, he needs to take the same route as The Haze. In my honest opinion because he's been there and done that at a higher rate than Hazell, he should be held to higher standards.

Anything less than 8, with the weak non conference and the weak division is a failure without catastrophic injuries or departures. Again...my opinion.

Oh, and if you get 11 one year (I think that's a huge stretch with Brohm) and five the next, you have an issue somewhere.

You're missing the forest from the trees. Brohm's recruiting impact doesn't really happen big time until next year and beyond. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be expectations of winning. But Purdue football went from 3 wins to 7 in his first season. And then he backed all of that up with a Top 25 recruiting class in his second season. He's already earning his contract by recruiting better than this program has since the Tiller era. He's going win games based on what we've seen the past two years with the talent he inherited from the Haze. I really don't care if it's 7 or 8 wins this year. The following year and beyond are what matter. Assuming he doesn't crap the bed over the next 5 years, this is going to be a VERY good football program.

Great point. Purdue was a few maddening mistakes from winning 10 games against a strong schedule last year. If they can reduce or eliminate those, I expect at least 8 wins.
" Very little difference between winning 5 & 8 (games) is a " great point ", you say ? Then there ( statistically ) has to be a corresponding ( small ) difference between LOSING 5 & 8, as well !! If every single FBS team is allowed to edit their season eliminating " a few maddening mistakes ", then the composite W-L records of all teams in their FBS games would be about .800, instead of the obvious .500 !!!
Would-have-beens, Could-have-beens, Should-have-beens……………..is a game that involves a Two-way street....not ONE. You just want 3 plays to do-over in all your LOSSES ?? Then give your opponents THEIR 3 plays in all your WINS. See how that figures out in the long run.

That red shirt soph has had two years to learn the system. Are you saying he's not capable of doing that or what?

What (some) people don't get is, Brohm has "made his bed", as it were.

If this doesn't work out at Purdue, he's not in a good spot. Going .500 over 4 years at Purdue puts him in a really tough spot.

If he continues to progress, the sky is the limit. If that happens, he stays at Purdue as long as the rest of the band stays together (Daniels & Bobinski). Once one of them departs, all bets are off.

Frankly, I've grown bored reading this forum with certain poster(s?) crapping on the Brohm hire, and the decision to retain him and pay him to stay and finish the job. The decisions have been made, for better or worse. For those posters, they need to move on, and stop whining on the forum like they're a dejected school girl writing in their diary.

He’s not going to go .500 beyond 2019. People need to still be content with 6-6 this year, as it’s a real possibility.

Since you are establishing that as a fact, maybe you can let me know which games are the losses so I don't have to watch.

Did I say 6-6 was fact, or did your parents raise a non reading jag off who doesn’t know that “possibility” is a thing..

Did I say 6-6 was fact, or did your parents raise a non reading jag off who doesn’t know that “possibility” is a thing..
With all of the respect that is due to your writing, you said "He’s not going to go .500 beyond 2019." That is stated as a fact not an opinion. So f off jag.

I predicted 6-6 last year, the only place I was wrong was that I thought BC and OSU were likely losses, that we’d eek out Northwestern and we’d route EMU.

Gun to my head order of record possibilities this year:

1. 6-6 or 7-5: 60% If I had to pick one I’m going 6-6.
3. 5-7 15%
4. 8-4 15%
5. 4-8 4%
6. 3-9 3%
7. 9-3 2%
All other possibilities accounting for the other 1%..

This is with normal injuries and nothing drastically unexpected like the ole selwyn lymon happening ... if the boilers are hit with an amazing run of injuries OR non injuries by them or the opponents, this changes things.

Should be noted that in the case of sindelars, the difference between he and Plummer is likely not as large as people likely think ...

If I had to put myself on the line game to game, I’m picking it this way

at Nevada W
Vanderbilt W
TCU L
Minnesota L
at second mile state L
Maryland W
at Iowa L
Illinois W
Nebraska L
at northwestern W
at Wisconsin L
Indiana W

Losses that I’ve predicted that we have the best chance to win, in order

Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
TCU
Wisconsin
Penn State

Feel free to light me up like a pinball machine If we go 10-2

With all of the respect that is due to your writing, you said "He’s not going to go .500 beyond 2019." That is stated as a fact not an opinion. So f off jag.

Oh I am willing to bet money that BEYOND 2019.. as in 2020 if he’s here, without something insane happening, like Rondale Moore and George karlaftis being out for the year, he does better than .500

Oh I am willing to bet money that BEYOND 2019.. as in 2020 if he’s here, without something insane happening, like Rondale Moore and George karlaftis being out for the year, he does better than .500
Glad to read that. When you wrote "He’s not going to go .500 beyond 2019" it appeared to me your meaning was after 2019 he would consistently fail to meet the .500 threshold, which would seem unfathomable.

Glad to read that. When you wrote "He’s not going to go .500 beyond 2019" it appeared to me your meaning was after 2019 he would consistently fail to meet the .500 threshold, which would seem unfathomable.

You can tell me to F off any time, I’ve always done SOMETHING to deserve it :)

You missed my point... That theory is based on the lack of respect that other higher level programs have for Purdue.... Not CJB`s ability to coach and recruit...

You missed my point... That theory is based on the lack of respect that other higher level programs have for Purdue.... Not CJB`s ability to coach and recruit...

Apparently I did.

Here's your post to which I responded:

I took issue with the theory that CJB would be moving on to any higher level program with results like you described.

Reactions: Bippus33

Ahhh...TN,L of U and most any other program that has consistently won 8 or more games per season....

But I did know how bad it was. I was one of the first to question the hiring of Haze if you go back and check posts.

I hated haze and his recruits. I hated him the day he was first introduced at his introductory press conference, he claimed his overall goal was to be a .500 team , and to go to a bowl game, not to win a championship. he set the bar for mediocrity. the key to being a successful coach is their activity and preparation in the off season. I wasn't a huge Miles fan. I wanted an experienced coach with NFL connections who would be a recruiting draw. I actually wanted Jim Tressell. I wanted defense and running verses being pass happy. I wanted boring low scoring wins over exciting shoot outs. I wanted to play 3 easy preseason games and pad our win totals like UW, IU, Minn, and Alabama do. Why can't Purdue play Kent st ? Why can't Purdue play Ball St ? I'm about wins, not stats. If you want stats, play fantasy football or become a Cowboys fan. if you want ugly wins, become a Packers fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT