ADVERTISEMENT

8 wins?

If I guaranteed you 8 total wins this year, would you take it or let the season play out?

• Take the 8

• Roll the dice and trust in brohm

Results are only viewable after voting.

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
i think 8 wins is definitely the break even point.

9 wins is a no-brainer - you take it.

Looking at the schedule, I would rather let the season play out than take 7 wins.

Notice I said “total” wins, so that could be 7 plus a bowl victory. But I still think that’s a step in the right direction.... next year is our year.

I would like to think Coach Brohm is not thinking about just an 8 win season. I would think his goal is higher than 8 wins total.

I would be satisfied with a 8 win season. If we can do better, it would be a bonus. We still have multiple questions on the OL. Health of Sindelar, Bailey, Neal, Worship, etc., because we still have depth issues in key positions. We have some tough games this year, so we need to start out strong this year.

Now, with the additional experience, and the expectations of another great recruiting class in 2020, and I think more than 8 wins for sure in 2020.

With no Michigan or Ohio State on the schedule, on paper, I see 10 wins. Plus the west championship.

Reactions: PushupMan
With no Michigan or Ohio State on the schedule, on paper, I see 10 wins. Plus the west championship.
20B95C21E10FD7F17021A47AA56CFF0086041BCD

With what he's being paid, eight wins is a minimum that any PU fan should accept.

Horsecrap.

And... if we don't ... "accept" it? Then what? So... you don't ... ACCEPT a certain W/L. Then?

If we get 7 wins, and continued upgrade of talent? If we get 9 wins, then 7 the following year? Or, if we get 11 wins then 5 the following year?

You have yourself all balled up over the W/L of a program that was in significant disarray.

Stop with the minimum wins crap. It's all about building a program. Yes, W/L are important. We should be more concerned with building a PROGRAM.

We are going to play them all. This is just a hypothetical, and in this scenario i would absolutely take a guaranteed 8 wins

I get it, but the question was framed as, would you take 8 wins NOW.

That implies we're going to lose the other games, with no opportunity to improve beyond the 8 wins.

That's my take. If not, the question is meaningless... pointless.

I get it, but the question was framed as, would you take 8 wins NOW.

That implies we're going to lose the other games, with no opportunity to improve beyond the 8 wins.

That's my take. If not, the question is meaningless... pointless.
Yes, winning 8 games would imply you lose the others. That is fine considering it's been at least a decade since we have won that many.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Horsecrap.

And... if we don't ... "accept" it? Then what? So... you don't ... ACCEPT a certain W/L. Then?

If we get 7 wins, and continued upgrade of talent? If we get 9 wins, then 7 the following year? Or, if we get 11 wins then 5 the following year?

You have yourself all balled up over the W/L of a program that was in significant disarray.

Stop with the minimum wins crap. It's all about building a program. Yes, W/L are important. We should be more concerned with building a PROGRAM.
Slow down Jocko...Purdue University is paying Brohm to do one thing....and that one thing is to win games. This is his third season...two prior to build his recruits, and put his system in. He's not being paid to teach Lit, or Art, or even how to run a printing machine. Yeah, that old thing of building a program might be a part of it, but his salary is based on the number of wins, with a bonus for different items...including graduating players, bowls made, bowls won, National titles, Big Ten titles.

Haze had the same exact type of contract...he didn't win games. He's gone and I'd expect the same thing of Brohm. If he can't win 8 games in the weakest divisions of the B10, and a fairly weak pre-season/non conference schedule, he needs to take the same route as The Haze. In my honest opinion because he's been there and done that at a higher rate than Hazell, he should be held to higher standards.

Anything less than 8, with the weak non conference and the weak division is a failure without catastrophic injuries or departures. Again...my opinion.

Oh, and if you get 11 one year (I think that's a huge stretch with Brohm) and five the next, you have an issue somewhere.

Slow down Jocko...Purdue University is paying Brohm to do one thing....and that one thing is to win games. This is his third season...two prior to build his recruits, and put his system in. He's not being paid to teach Lit, or Art, or even how to run a printing machine. Yeah, that old thing of building a program might be a part of it, but his salary is based on the number of wins, with a bonus for different items...including graduating players, bowls made, bowls won, National titles, Big Ten titles.

Haze had the same exact type of contract...he didn't win games. He's gone and I'd expect the same thing of Brohm. If he can't win 8 games in the weakest divisions of the B10, and a fairly weak pre-season/non conference schedule, he needs to take the same route as The Haze. In my honest opinion because he's been there and done that at a higher rate than Hazell, he should be held to higher standards.

Anything less than 8, with the weak non conference and the weak division is a failure without catastrophic injuries or departures. Again...my opinion.

Oh, and if you get 11 one year (I think that's a huge stretch with Brohm) and five the next, you have an issue somewhere.

Okay, Chief. Nothing you wrote changes my points.

The ultimate measure is going to be Brohm's effectiveness as a coach. Yes, that will WILL be measured by W/L.

He's also tasked with BUILDING the d@mn program. Make no mistake... he IS getting results, in spite of how you portray things. That's why he has been HOTLY pursued by other prominent programs, and that's why the Purdue admin have pulled out all the stops to retain him. (By the way, I think Purdue admin and those other prominent programs know a bit more about him and what he's accomplishing than the warriors on the internet ... including you.)

No matter how much you want to take that issue through your spin cycle, the Purdue admin is not using your measuring stick. They want this program built, and they'll continue to make sure the infrastructure is there, regardless your dramatic demands. And I'd be surprised to see they have an 8-win demand before deeming him a failure.

A little early to call the division weak, I think. Fitz, Ferentz, Frost, Fleck and Chryst are a pretty good collection of coaches. A couple of them might be a year or two away, but I think the west is going to continue to get stronger. Between the improvement in the division and issues at the LOS for Brahm, I'm not sure how you can realistically demand 8 or more wins in 2019.

Wouldn't call TCU weak by any means.....Vandy played a lot of close games in the Tough SEC and gave ND a hell of a game last year.

I would think the expectations would be pretty high for the 2020 season.

Twindegrees knows two things about football, Jack and shit

Brohm is being paid to build a program. Sacrificing what he is doing because he doesn’t hit a win total this years is wildly dumb
Oh wise one (tic)....How long will Bo put up with that "building" if he doesn't start winning more than six and stays in the lesser bowl games. Year three is upon us and I'd bet more than what he's done to date would be the expectation. And I know as much about FB as you do.

And I know as much about FB as you do.
Your love of les miles proves otherwise.

How long will Bo put up with that "building" if he doesn't start winning more than six and stays in the lesser bowl games. Year three is upon us and I'd bet more than what he's done to date would be the expectation.

I agree with Skydog. 2020 is the year we start to see the proof of the pudding. I dont think you (or most others) realize how bad the roster was when Brohm got here. Skill talent can contribute early. The lines take much longer to develop.

Okay, Chief. Nothing you wrote changes my points.

The ultimate measure is going to be Brohm's effectiveness as a coach. Yes, that will WILL be measured by W/L.

He's also tasked with BUILDING the d@mn program. Make no mistake... he IS getting results, in spite of how you portray things. That's why he has been HOTLY pursued by other prominent programs, and that's why the Purdue admin have pulled out all the stops to retain him. (By the way, I think Purdue admin and those other prominent programs know a bit more about him and what he's accomplishing than the warriors on the internet ... including you.)

No matter how much you want to take that issue through your spin cycle, the Purdue admin is not using your measuring stick. They want this program built, and they'll continue to make sure the infrastructure is there, regardless your dramatic demands. And I'd be surprised to see they have an 8-win demand before deeming him a failure.
So....you're willing to wait? How long 85 before you turn as you did on Haze?

Your love of les miles proves otherwise.

I agree with Skydog. 2020 is the year we start to see the proof of the pudding. I dont think you (or most others) realize how bad the roster was when Brohm got here. Skill talent can contribute early. The lines take much longer to develop.
But I did know how bad it was. I was one of the first to question the hiring of Haze if you go back and check posts.

So....you're willing to wait? How long 85 before you turn as you did on Haze?

Your questions and your ax-grinding on this topic are inane. Pointless and foolish. That's my point.

It's utterly irrelevant how long "(I'm) willing to wait." Bobinski, Daniels, the BoT, none of them give a rip what you or I are writing on an internet forum.

You think he's MET expectations?? You think winning SEVEN games his first season was expected? Brother, that's absurd.

What's more, you'll have to go back and find where I wrote anything on this forum that resembled "turn(ing) on Haze." I am generally VERY fair (and reserved) with public comments on our leadership, and I've taken a LOT of heat over that.

Yeah, that old thing of building a program might be a part of it, but his salary is based on the number of wins, with a bonus for different items...including graduating players, bowls made, bowls won, National titles, Big Ten titles.
Building a program is not just "a part of it." It is no exaggeration to say that at worst Haze and Burke nearly burned Purdue football to the ground. At best they left it the most moribund Power 5 school in the country.

Wins and bowls at this point are gravy given the magnitude of what has been and is required of Brohm. That he has done so much so quickly means he is earning every dime. As has been mentioned in this thread, 2020 is the year that the program will begin a sharp ascent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT