ADVERTISEMENT

8 wins?

If I guaranteed you 8 total wins this year, would you take it or let the season play out?

• Take the 8

• Roll the dice and trust in brohm

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think this is a legitimate question.

If we don’t get to 8 wins in the next 3 years, and there were no huge injury issues, I would start to get antsy.

I think 3 years is reasonable. I know in 2021, that would be my low water mark.

But I did know how bad it was. I was one of the first to question the hiring of Haze if you go back and check posts.

If people weren’t questioning Hazell after the Cincinnati debacle, they should have after his first bucket game. And no Purdue coach should ever lose two of those in a row.

Those first season losses coupled with the near loss to ISU, should have had a new consulting group on speed dial for implementing a new search.

Slow down Jocko...Purdue University is paying Brohm to do one thing....and that one thing is to win games. This is his third season...two prior to build his recruits, and put his system in. He's not being paid to teach Lit, or Art, or even how to run a printing machine. Yeah, that old thing of building a program might be a part of it, but his salary is based on the number of wins, with a bonus for different items...including graduating players, bowls made, bowls won, National titles, Big Ten titles.

Haze had the same exact type of contract...he didn't win games. He's gone and I'd expect the same thing of Brohm. If he can't win 8 games in the weakest divisions of the B10, and a fairly weak pre-season/non conference schedule, he needs to take the same route as The Haze. In my honest opinion because he's been there and done that at a higher rate than Hazell, he should be held to higher standards.

Anything less than 8, with the weak non conference and the weak division is a failure without catastrophic injuries or departures. Again...my opinion.

Oh, and if you get 11 one year (I think that's a huge stretch with Brohm) and five the next, you have an issue somewhere.
" fairly weak pre-conference schedule for 2019 " ? Guess again. Shouldn't be too tough a task to ck. out the several analysts who show us just the opposite. And the B10 West may not be as strong as the East, but, again, a number of early projections have Wisc., Iowa, NW, Nebr. and even Minn. in the top 25. Eight wins or "take the same route as (the ever-popular) Haze" ??? Your "honest opinion" may be honest, but it ain't real intelligent.

Your love of les miles proves otherwise.

I agree with Skydog. 2020 is the year we start to see the proof of the pudding. I dont think you (or most others) realize how bad the roster was when Brohm got here. Skill talent can contribute early. The lines take much longer to develop.
I have no love of Les Miles. I simply stated I thought he'd be a good choice for Purdue as it would be his last stop, that he had recruits in the pipeline, and that he'd done a lot more than Brohm. You can't deny any of that.

I have no love of Les Miles. I simply stated I thought he'd be a good choice for Purdue as it would be his last stop, that he had recruits in the pipeline, and that he'd done a lot more than Brohm. You can't deny any of that.
His recruiting at Kansas suggests that was an incorrect thought

o
Okay, knowing that, you really expect 8 wins in year 3?

Yes I do. A fairly easy non-conference schedule with Nevada, Vandy, and TCU, and then the conference. Look at the schedule and tell me where I'm wrong. Two years of Brohm's boys, third year of his system with Haze's kids, and 8 wins is a must this year. If you don't believe that, you're under selling your coach and your team.

Date Home/Away Opponent Time
Fri, Aug 30 @
nevada2_wbgs.png
Nevada 9:30 PM EDT Should be a win against a mid-major
Sat, Sep 7 vs
vanderbilt_wbg.png
Vanderbilt Time: TBD Should be a win at Home
Sat, Sep 14 vs
tcu2_wbgs.png
TCU Time: TBD Should be a win at Home

Sat, Sep 28 vs
minnesota_wbg.png
Minnesota Time: TBD Win at Home or was Row your Boat the better hire?
Sat, Oct 5 @
penn_state_wbg.png
(17) Penn St. Time: TBD Loss
Sat, Oct 12 vs
maryland_wbg.png
Maryland Time: TBD Win at Home
Sat, Oct 19 @
Iowa_wbg.png
(25) Iowa Time: TBD Loss (I have a gut feeling PU wins on the road in this one)
Sat, Oct 26 vs
illinois_wbg.png
Illinois Time: TBD Win at Home
Sat, Nov 2 vs
nebraska_wbg.png
Nebraska Time: TBD Win at Home
Sat, Nov 9 @
northwestern_wbg.png
(21) Northwestern Time: TBD Loss
Sat, Nov 23 @
wisconsin2_wbgs.png
Wisconsin Time: TBD Loss
Sat, Nov 30 vs
indiana_wbgs.png
Indiana Win at Home unless Allen was the better hire TIC

That gives Brohm five years to win 8 games. Such low expectations.
nowhere in that post you quoted were any "expectations."

I just don't get why you want to be so abrasive on this topic.

Brohm will be given the time he's given.

He was dealt a pretty challenging hand.

He's done very well with what he was dealt.

Most people are rational and reasonable about that. You just don't seem to be either one of those.

" fairly weak pre-conference schedule for 2019 " ? Guess again. Shouldn't be too tough a task to ck. out the several analysts who show us just the opposite. And the B10 West may not be as strong as the East, but, again, a number of early projections have Wisc., Iowa, NW, Nebr. and even Minn. in the top 25. Eight wins or "take the same route as (the ever-popular) Haze" ??? Your "honest opinion" may be honest, but it ain't real intelligent.
We'll see won't we. You are another selling the program short, and making excuses for the coach.
His recruiting at Kansas suggests that was an incorrect thought

nowhere in that post you quoted were any "expectations."

I just don't get why you want to be so abrasive on this topic.

Brohm will be given the time he's given.

He was dealt a pretty challenging hand.

He's done very well with what he was dealt.

Most people are rational and reasonable about that. You just don't seem to be either one of those.
It's what I see as realistic. 8 wins is two more than his first two years, and now it's his recruits and as I said, three years with Haze's boys. I'm really surprised you don't expect 8 wins this year. And I don't think I'm being abrasive at all.

It's what I see as realistic. 8 wins is two more than his first two years, and now it's his recruits and as I said, three years with Haze's boys. I'm really surprised you don't expect 8 wins this year. And I don't think I'm being abrasive at all.

well, you are being abrasive. Very much so.

And, you still won't pay attention: It doesn't matter what you or I ... "expect". What the heck does that even mean? You won't answer that.

well, you are being abrasive. Very much so.

And, you still won't pay attention: It doesn't matter what you or I ... "expect". What the heck does that even mean? You won't answer that.
It means....I believe that with Brohm having two years of his recruits, two years of putting his system in place, and with the schedule he has this season, this team coached by Brohm should win no less than 8 games. That's what it means.

o

Yes I do. A fairly easy non-conference schedule with Nevada, Vandy, and TCU, and then the conference. Look at the schedule and tell me where I'm wrong. Two years of Brohm's boys, third year of his system with Haze's kids, and 8 wins is a must this year. If you don't believe that, you're under selling your coach and your team.

Fri, Aug 30 @
nevada2_wbgs.png
Nevada 9:30 PM EDT Should be a win against a mid-major
Sat, Sep 7 vs
vanderbilt_wbg.png
Vanderbilt Time: TBD Should be a win at Home
Sat, Sep 14 vs
tcu2_wbgs.png
TCU Time: TBD Should be a win at Home

Sat, Sep 28 vs
minnesota_wbg.png
Minnesota Time: TBD Win at Home or was Row your Boat the better hire?
Sat, Oct 5 @
penn_state_wbg.png
Sat, Oct 12 vs
maryland_wbg.png
Maryland Time: TBD Win at Home
Sat, Oct 19 @
Iowa_wbg.png
(25) Iowa Time: TBD Loss (I have a gut feeling PU wins on the road in this one)
Sat, Oct 26 vs
illinois_wbg.png
Sat, Nov 2 vs
nebraska_wbg.png
Nebraska Time: TBD Win at Home
Sat, Nov 9 @
northwestern_wbg.png
Sat, Nov 23 @
wisconsin2_wbgs.png
Sat, Nov 30 vs
indiana_wbgs.png
Indiana Win at Home unless Allen was the better hire TIC
Tcu isn’t easy.

Also, given you just said you knew the roster was a dumpster fire, you say brohm should have hazells recruits and his ready to go. If it was. As, which we agreed on, hazells kids can’t be counted on outside of one or two players and brohms players are jut now jrs and rs sophs. Still a year early. Especially on the lines

Tcu isn’t easy.

Also, given you just said you knew the roster was a dumpster fire, you say brohm should have hazells recruits and his ready to go. If it was. As, which we agreed on, hazells kids can’t be counted on outside of one or two players and brohms players are jut now jrs and rs sophs. Still a year early. Especially on the lines
The lines are still a work in process. I think Brohm made a trade off in year one, which should really be considered year zero. He brought in some instant impact transfers on the lines that did nothing to promote building depth but did everything to help launch the program into relevance for recruiting purposes. The true bottoms-up rebuild is just now getting into full swing beginning with last fall’s recruiting class. And as you’ve tried to tell people over and over, the lines take time to develop.

The lines are still a work in process. I think Brohm made a trade off in year one, which should really be considered year zero. He brought in some instant impact transfers on the lines that did nothing to promote building depth but did everything to help launch the program into relevance for recruiting purposes. The true bottoms-up rebuild is just now getting into full swing beginning with last fall’s recruiting class. And as you’ve tried to tell people over and over, the lines take time to develop.
Agree. The last two classes will be the backbone of what he builds. Expecting results this season is premature

Twindegrees knows two things about football, Jack and shit

Brohm is being paid to build a program. Sacrificing what he is doing because he doesn’t hit a win total this years is wildly dumb
It's not just limited to football if anyone's seen his posts on the General Discussion board.

o

Fri, Aug 30 @
nevada2_wbgs.png
Nevada 9:30 PM EDT Should be a win against a mid-major - They have some talent, but a game you should win. (Win)
Sat, Sep 7 vs
vanderbilt_wbg.png
Vanderbilt Time: TBD Should be a win at Home - Same as Nevada (Win)
Sat, Sep 14 vs
tcu2_wbgs.png
TCU Time: TBD This isn't a should be a win. I'm sorry but TCU is a better program. (loss)

Sat, Sep 28 vs
minnesota_wbg.png
Minnesota Time: TBD Injuries happen but this isn't a should win after being drilled last year. (Toss Up)
Sat, Oct 5 @
penn_state_wbg.png
Sat, Oct 12 vs
maryland_wbg.png
Maryland Time: TBD Toss Up
Sat, Oct 19 @
Iowa_wbg.png
(25) Iowa Time: TBD Toss Up
Sat, Oct 26 vs
illinois_wbg.png
Sat, Nov 2 vs
nebraska_wbg.png
Nebraska Time: TBD Loss
Sat, Nov 9 @
northwestern_wbg.png
Sat, Nov 23 @
wisconsin2_wbgs.png
Sat, Nov 30 vs
indiana_wbgs.png
Indiana Toss Up

Then they aren't met 85. It's not life or death,it's about a guy being paid a lot of money and if he's good enough to take PU to the top of the heap.
exactly my point.

your expectations couldn't be more irrelevant. so, to state them, nearly demanding (my word) an 8-win season is pure silliness.

Just sit back and enjoy the season... if you'll permit yourself.

Reactions: Boilerpointe81
If people weren’t questioning Hazell after the Cincinnati debacle, they should have after his first bucket game. And no Purdue coach should ever lose two of those in a row.

Those first season losses coupled with the near loss to ISU, should have had a new consulting group on speed dial for implementing a new search.
Watching hazell in that first game against Cincinnati i immediately knew he was a complete dud. It was that bad of a game.

i think 8 wins is definitely the break even point.

9 wins is a no-brainer - you take it.

Looking at the schedule, I would rather let the season play out than take 7 wins.

Notice I said “total” wins, so that could be 7 plus a bowl victory. But I still think that’s a step in the right direction.... next year is our year.

Be content with 6, happy with 7, ecstatic with 8. Hope for fewer weaknesses going into ‘20

Reactions: coolrockt21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT