ADVERTISEMENT

8.5 down to 5.5 spread

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Sharps obviously hammered Maryland getting the 8.5, will they bet Purdue back up to move the line to 6.5/7? Game worries me, won’t be easy.

It's a B1G road game. I'll take a 70-69 W and move on. This series has had a lot of last-minute drama, so play hard and defend all the way to 0.0.

If a Purdue player happens to pick off a desperation full-court heave at the buzzer, let's hope he doesn't drag his foot.

I havent watched Maryland this year other than looking at the box scores. They look very inconsistent on offense. If they get guys to step up and play offense like they did against UCLA, the game will be tight. Especially if the refs call the game like last year with no blood no foul for either team.

Could be a win by 12 to 13 pts or a loss by 3 to 5 pts. I dont think it will be a blow out like last year for Maryland but will be tight.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Sharps obviously hammered Maryland getting the 8.5, will they bet Purdue back up to move the line to 6.5/7? Game worries me, won’t be easy.
This is a case where the analytics points to an easy victory, but history and intangibles point to a much closer contest. Torvik has Purdue by 12.6, but Purdue has not won at Maryland in its last 3 tries, including a 14 point loss last year. Purdue lost its first road game in somewhat similar circumstances at Northwestern and Maryland comes in needing this win badly for its resume.

This is a case where the analytics points to an easy victory, but history and intangibles point to a much closer contest. Torvik has Purdue by 12.6, but Purdue has not won at Maryland in its last 3 tries, including a 14 point loss last year. Purdue lost its first road game in somewhat similar circumstances at Northwestern and Maryland comes in needing this win badly for its resume.
Good post, road life in the Big Ten isn’t easy. I’ve watched Maryland, the game I saw they barely beat Penn State at home, think it went OT.

It's a B1G road game. I'll take a 70-69 W and move on. This series has had a lot of last-minute drama, so play hard and defend all the way to 0.0.

If a Purdue player happens to pick off a desperation full-court heave at the buzzer, let's hope he doesn't drag his foot.
Me as well, I watched them once, they beat Penn State in OT at home, guarentee they’ll be better tonight.

I havent watched Maryland this year other than looking at the box scores. They look very inconsistent on offense. If they get guys to step up and play offense like they did against UCLA, the game will be tight. Especially if the refs call the game like last year with no blood no foul for either team.

Could be a win by 12 to 13 pts or a loss by 3 to 5 pts. I dont think it will be a blow out like last year for Maryland but will be tight.
From what I’ve seen, they shoot it poorly, but I’m sure they ll shoot it well tonight. Reese, at times, seems so disinterested, its mind boggling. Other times, he has looked pretty good. Young is the one who keeps them going and is most consistent. Interested to see how this team starts the year off with the a huge target on its back…hope it results in a W!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
From what I’ve seen, they shoot it poorly, but I’m sure they ll shoot it well tonight. Reese, at times, seems so disinterested, its mind boggling. Other times, he has looked pretty good. Young is the one who keeps them going and is most consistent. Interested to see how this team starts the year off with the a huge target on its back…hope it results in a W!

Young missed their last game with the flu, so who knows if he plays today or what shape he is in. Wouldn't mind getting a 75% version of him, just to make things easier.

They did not look good in the UCLA game, at least what I watched on YouTube highlights. UCLA is awful!! I also looked at some other game highlights and IF we play decent, hitting some shots, hitting the boards, team D and less than 10 turnovers, we should get a double digit W. 🖤💛😂 Boiler Up!!! Let’s make this a Statement WIN to begin the B1G 🏀 campaign!

Purdue needs to play like the best in the B1G tonight, get the early lead and keep adding to it. Don’t let Maryland stay in the game and maintain hope of an upset. They did that in Evanston and it bit them. Play like you are the # 1 team in the nation. Kick @ss.

Young missed their last game with the flu, so who knows if he plays today or what shape he is in. Wouldn't mind getting a 75% version of him, just to make things easier.
Meanwhile, head coach Kevin Willard was optimistic about the veteran’s status heading into Tuesday.

“Jahmir’s doing well. He’s got back into practice the last couple of days. We’ve been slow with him cause he did have a really bad flu. He missed quite a bit of time but the great thing about Jahmir is he’s such a well-conditioned athlete that he’s able to bounce back so he’s looked good in practice.”

Reactions: Hausta01
Purdue is 16-13 in Big Ten road games during Zach Edey's four year college career. That is how tough life is on the road in the bigten.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz and DrEss
Geronimo will go off for 5 threes!!!

• Jordan Geronimo: 6.8 PTS, 1.1 BLK, 46.9 FG%, 9.1 3PT% (2-for-22)

Reactions: Abugabby

I saw him go off a couple of years ago at A$$ Hall, but let's hope he is consistently bad today. I do worry a bit about his athleticism inside on the D end and boards should the refs let things go. I think it takes Young, Scott AND Reese to all have good games to keep it tight with Purdue...assuming it is not a wrestling match. We also want Reese to be at the FT line like usual...not like last year if I recall correctly. No Hart and so I don't know who they have behind the arc that is a "usual" threat...

I saw him go off a couple of years ago at A$$ Hall, but let's hope he is consistently bad today. I do worry a bit about his athleticism inside on the D end and boards should the refs let things go. I think it takes Young, Scott AND Reese to all have good games to keep it tight with Purdue...assuming it is not a wrestling match. We also want Reese to be at the FT line like usual...not like last year if I recall correctly. No Hart and so I don't know who they have behind the arc that is a "usual" threat...
Ha, truthfully our team (Terrapins) does not really have a three-point shooting threat...

Reactions: tjreese
This is a game the number 1 team should win handily. I get it’s Bigten and a true road game in a gym we have a losing record in but, this team is just different. I see a double digit win.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Ha, truthfully our team (Terrapins) does not really have a three-point shooting threat...
Yeah, that was true somewhat last year until the Purdue game. Losing Hart probably hurt that area? This is why Purdue needs to keep Young out of the lane and to long 2s. He gets deep and draws Zach over...that leave Reese for the cleanup. Why Purdue needs the secondary rotation(4 covering Reese when Zach helps). I will be surprised in Maryland's 2-2-1 press is as effective as before. You can't just run Purdue off the line and play D at the rim either because Purdue this year scores in the midrange as well. In the past Braden had to keep the dribble going...absorbing the pressure without attacking it until the set opened up. This year Braden can attack pressure and look to score. Purdue is very aware of analytics, but not to the degree it has been and has a result Purdue is scoring against pressure at the rim AND in the mid range creating better looks for the 3 ball as well. Purdue now scores in all three areas where before it was Zach and the 3 ball.

That said, Purdue will get the best shot from every team they play

Reactions: Do Dah Day
On the other hand, if Edey, Smith, and Loyer go off .... or Gillis ... or Jones... or Heide

Yeah, that was true somewhat last year until the Purdue game. Losing Hart probably hurt that area? This is why Purdue needs to keep Young out of the lane and to long 2s. He gets deep and draws Zach over...that leave Reese for the cleanup. Why Purdue needs the secondary rotation(4 covering Reese when Zach helps). I will be surprised in Maryland's 2-2-1 press is as effective as before. You can't just run Purdue off the line and play D at the rim either because Purdue this year scores in the midrange as well. In the past Braden had to keep the dribble going...absorbing the pressure without attacking it until the set opened up. This year Braden can attack pressure and look to score. Purdue is very aware of analytics, but not to the degree it has been and has a result Purdue is scoring against pressure at the rim AND in the mid range creating better looks for the 3 ball as well. Purdue now scores in all three areas where before it was Zach and the 3 ball.

That said, Purdue will get the best shot from every team they play
One of the freshmen, Jamie Kaiser Jr., was an ace shooter in high school and many thought he'd be filling that role this year. I think he will "get it" eventually, but so far he is not even in the starting lineup...

ETA: Something funny for you all to watch is how quickly our backup center, Caelum Swanton-Rodger, fouls out. He does stuff like commit five fouls in five minutes. He's not dirty at all, it just happens. We laugh it up a lot...

One of the freshmen, Jamie Kaiser Jr., was an ace shooter in high school and many thought he'd be filling that role this year. I think he will "get it" eventually, but so far he is not even in the starting lineup...
Watch him fulfill why he was recruited tonight. Actually, it is about Purdue. This team plays better than the previous couple of years.. There is more grit AND firepower...along with a couple of athletes that never played last year.

Reactions: dconifer
On the other hand, if Edey, Smith, and Loyer go off .... or Gillis ... or Jones... or Heide
I'm counting on good games from Zach, Braden, Fletcher and Lance. Anyone else is a plus. I can see Cam getting minutes if Lance has foul trouble and Matt thinks Cam's size helps on Young inside the arc. I can also see a lob or two to Cam should Maryland play matchup 2-3 zone and Purdue flood the area with players going in and out of blocks, elbow and wing area causing Maryland to handoff players and possibly losing Cam going behind for a lob as the Maryland players are figuring out who has who...but still need that ball at the top when passing the lob. Purdue has more firepower as you implied...you just hope any physical D doesn't blur the lines between offensive skills of the two teams

Reactions: Zaphod_B
One thing that is always interesting with Maryland is the different ball that they use. Hopefully it doesn’t throw off our shooters. Another thing I’m wondering is if their students are still on break or if their student section will be in full form tonight. Maryland’s student section is a step above several other conference teams, so if they are on break it’s a huge help for us.

I truthfully didn't know that guy was still in college --- which probably says more about my inattention than it says about his career.

ETA: Something funny for you all to watch is how quickly our backup center, Caelum Swanton-Rodger, fouls out. He does stuff like commit five fouls in five minutes. He's not dirty at all, it just happens. We laugh it up a lot...
Sooo, since you are visiting our Boiler site, do you care to weigh in on your thoughts on how the game plays out ? Who gets the W? By how much?

One thing that is always interesting with Maryland is the different ball that they use. Hopefully it doesn’t throw off our shooters. Another thing I’m wondering is if their students are still on break or if their student section will be in full form tonight. Maryland’s student section is a step above several other conference teams, so if they are on break it’s a huge help for us.
They’re on break still and the type of ball shouldn’t matter haha

Students are on break...

Reactions: PUQBMan.
They’re on break still and the type of ball shouldn’t matter haha
I agree that it shouldn’t matter, but we’ve seen in the past that it has. Maryland’s ball has been a talking point from teams in recent years. There was also a lot of talk about the ball in the NCAA tourney last year impacting shooters. I don’t think (or hope) it will impact us tonight, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we have a slow shooting start.

I agree that it shouldn’t matter, but we’ve seen in the past that it has. Maryland’s ball has been a talking point from teams in recent years. There was also a lot of talk about the ball in the NCAA tourney last year impacting shooters. I don’t think (or hope) it will impact us tonight, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we have a slow shooting start.
Ball didn’t matter tonight for us…seemed to impact Maryland’s shooting though 😂

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Is that the dude who just ran over 2 of our guys going for a rebound on a made basket?

I'm counting on good games from Zach, Braden, Fletcher and Lance. Anyone else is a plus. I can see Cam getting minutes if Lance has foul trouble and Matt thinks Cam's size helps on Young inside the arc. I can also see a lob or two to Cam should Maryland play matchup 2-3 zone and Purdue flood the area with players going in and out of blocks, elbow and wing area causing Maryland to handoff players and possibly losing Cam going behind for a lob as the Maryland players are figuring out who has who...but still need that ball at the top when passing the lob. Purdue has more firepower as you implied...you just hope any physical D doesn't blur the lines between offensive skills of the two teams
Cam was open 1-2 times as you said, for a lob vs the zone but we didn’t throw it. Could have been due to not seeing it develop all the way or just didn’t feel it was the right okay at that time (obviously easier to see while sitting on the couch than playing during the actual game haha).

Is that the dude who just ran over 2 of our guys going for a rebound on a made basket?

I think that was Kaiser, Jr. Picked up the two-seven split....and nothing from Szelc's crew.

659576ee19e98625071178.gif

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT