ADVERTISEMENT

3 point distance

Look: I'm not looking to get into some kind of pissing match with you...I was simply saying that, IMHO, we "probably" won't be so focused on the 3 pt shot this year....

I then backed up my argument with stats from the Purdue BBall website...
Carsen, Cline, and Grady (all departed players) accounted for 281 of the 365 made 3's...that's like just shy of 77%. But, more importantly, (again), nobody else hit more than 10 during the entire season. Add all that to the increased distance of the line this coming year, and I felt it was a pretty safe bet to say: "I don't think we'll be living and dying at the 3 pt line this year..."

I know it's the off season, but I just don't understand why so many people on here seem to just want to bicker, (and try to coax each other into some type of flame-war) with every other post made that doesn't 100% support their point of view.

Relax man, it's just some bullshit conversation, until we get some real basketball to fight and criticize each other about/over.

Have a wonderful evening...

goodness.

What hatred and drama.

Nobody suggested a PISSING MATCH. I certainly didn't engage in one.

If you cannot stomach someone responding to your posts/points, I would respectfully suggest that a public forum is not the proper place for you to post your thoughts.

I don't know (nor care) if we're focused on the 3-point shot this year.

I don't care about your .... "ARGUMENT."

I'm not interested in an argument.

I come here to see what others are posting... their THOUGHTS. Then, sometimes I post mine. Sometimes people agree, sometimes they disagree. Sometimes they read, then move on. Other times people become unhinged and unglued and go off the rails.

If you cannot stand to see someone respond, without thinking it's BICKERING, you MIGHT want to avoid this public forum.

Have a delightful evening.

Ok with the shot clock change after an offensive rebound, but dislike the 3 point line change. Why are more missed shots a good thing. Don't like it. Don't think it will open up the inside any more either. More defensive players will just sag off the 3 point shooter assumming he is now more likely to miss. This is a mistake!

This may be true but we shall see. I think it will open the up the inside but it is of course just my opinion. The reason why the center is getting more and more marginalized is because an attempted three point shot has a higher EV than most two point shots. There are basically two shots that are worth taking, a three point shot and a shot right under the basket. Both are worth a great deal more than a mid-range shot that mid-range shots are now mostly bad shots.

Making the three pointer less EV means you need to hunt points elsewhere which leaves only two point shots. It could mean that certain mid range shots will now be worth more than a three point shot and teams may be more focused on the now second best option which is the shot right under the basket.

If teams sag like you suspect, then the new three point shot may still be high enough EV to forego the mid-range. However, when teams see this, they will then start stepping out opening the inside, dropping the EV of the three point shot and making other two point shots more valuable.

Reactions: Purdue85
This is a mistake. I thought they wanted to make games more high scoring? This will result in more lower scoring games if anything.
I wonder if it will increase the scoring differential. If a team is not good from deep it will make them even easier to guard since less pressure will be required from their opponents defense. While good shooting teams will force the defense to extend even more creating even more spacing for good offense. Good shooting quick defensive teams will be tough.

I wonder if it will increase the scoring differential. If a team is not good from deep it will make them even easier to guard since less pressure will be required from their opponents defense. While good shooting teams will force the defense to extend even more creating even more spacing for good offense. Good shooting quick defensive teams will be tough.
That's actually a good point. Not sure how that all will play out. I'm just annoyed they seem to be doing everything they can to have the exact same rules as the nba

I have a question... why did they decide on 22'-1.75"? They couldn't just pick 22'-1"?? Or 22'-2"?

The 3/4" stuff is maddening to me, it just screams needless stupidity. I can't help but picture a board room of fat old NCAA men in suits arguing over the new distance. They need a majority vote and its split down the middle. Half the room wants 22-1, other half wants 22-2. Someone gives a concession and they finally agree on 22-1.75...everyone comes out shaking hands and glad handing like they just negotiated a ceasefire along the Gaza Strip.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

That distance is 6.75 meters. which is also the FIBA three-point distance.

That's actually a good point. Not sure how that all will play out. I'm just annoyed they seem to be doing everything they can to have the exact same rules as the nba
I don’t want that either. I’m hoping the vastly different levels of athleticism keep the college gaming from turning into the NBA.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT