ADVERTISEMENT

26 to 11

Ignacious McNutt

Sophomore
Aug 16, 2018
So I truly try not to blame officials for a loss but the gap in FTs last night is enough to make your head explode. It was so bad that I think that is what impacted our defense the most in the second half, because we simply weren't allowed to play any.

But on the other hand, VT could come down and pull, trip, push off and hold to their hearts content and not have to worry about a whistle at all.

With all of that in mind we were still in a position to win towards the end and the shows a lot about the potential of this team. VT is a good team no doubt and our young Boilers held their own and did well all things considered. There are of course things to learn from this game but even handicapped we scored a LOT of points.

This won't be the last bump in the road for us this year, but it was a great early tourney type test and even though the score doesn't show it, I think we passed it.

Had to expect a poor outcome when I saw that Tim Higgins was officiating! He is a puke and always sticks it to Purdue. Always a lot of reasons for a loss but horrible officiating was the biggest reason!

Reactions: Schnelk
Had to expect a poor outcome when I saw that Tim Higgins was officiating! He is a puke and always sticks it to Purdue. Always a lot of reasons for a loss but horrible officiating was the biggest reason!
Somehow I missed he was on the crew, yeah he has a long history of doing that to us. Was he the one that screwed us over against Oklahoma?

Tim Higgins has been retired from officiating at least five years.

Last night was nowhere remotely close to the Oklahoma screwing.

John Higgins was one of the officials last night. He is one of the worst officials to have ever stepped foot on a court. His presence at any Final Four justifies the dissolution of the NCAA.

Suffice it to say, aspiring officials should not model their vocation on anyone with the surname Higgins.

So I truly try not to blame officials for a loss but the gap in FTs last night is enough to make your head explode. It was so bad that I think that is what impacted our defense the most in the second half, because we simply weren't allowed to play any.

But on the other hand, VT could come down and pull, trip, push off and hold to their hearts content and not have to worry about a whistle at all.

With all of that in mind we were still in a position to win towards the end and the shows a lot about the potential of this team. VT is a good team no doubt and our young Boilers held their own and did well all things considered. There are of course things to learn from this game but even handicapped we scored a LOT of points.

This won't be the last bump in the road for us this year, but it was a great early tourney type test and even though the score doesn't show it, I think we passed it.
refs didn't help...some touch fouls and then bodies flying without fouls, but Purdue didn't help itself by shooting the 3 ball as much as it did. Needed a low post and some others perhaps driving the ball. This game was Purdue's to take, byut we also knew with this young team there would be days like this..not CArsen's best game either

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt

The officials had nothing to do with that loss. To say any different is to become an enabler, and create ready made excuses for a group of young men who are better than that. They lost because they lost to a team that played better on a given night.

John Higgins was one of the officials last night. He is one of the worst officials to have ever stepped foot on a court. His presence at any Final Four justifies the dissolution of the NCAA.

Suffice it to say, aspiring officials should not model their vocation on anyone with the surname Higgins.

John Higgins is evaluated by the conference leaders he's contracted by and by the coaches in the games he officiates in. He is regularly one of the highest graded officials in college basketball and those grades are backed by coaches and evaluators who are around basketball 24/7.

I'd say your opinion is invalid in regard to the matter.

John Higgins is evaluated by the conference leaders he's contracted by and by the coaches in the games he officiates in. He is regularly one of the highest graded officials in college basketball and those grades are backed by coaches and evaluators who are around basketball 24/7.

I'd say your opinion is invalid in regard to the matter.

What you wrote may be true but it is also fair to say that the officials were having a poor game. I note the observation of the tv announcers pointing out bad and missed calls. Video confirmed the tv guys.

Defending them in that game is a heavy lift.

The officials had nothing to do with that loss. To say any different is to become an enabler, and create ready made excuses for a group of young men who are better than that. They lost because they lost to a team that played better on a given night.

Twin, they did make some bad calls down the stretch, confirmed by video. Those calls affected the outcome. Pointing that out is not enabling.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
What you wrote may be true but it is also fair to say that the officials were having a poor game. I note the observation of the tv announcers pointing out bad and missed calls. Video confirmed the tv guys.

Chuck Marlowe was a TV announcer

There's only one Higgins that I'd want officiating a game...…….but he is no longer with us.
John-Hillerman-as-Higgins.jpg

Not defending them as there were surely some missed calls, especially late in the game, but to say John Higgins is the worst official (actually the exact opposite as he is literally graded by the coaches he officiates in games against) and he is consistently achieves the highest grades.

Twin, they did make some bad calls down the stretch, confirmed by video. Those calls affected the outcome. Pointing that out is not enabling.
All refs make bad calls once in awhile. They did not keep Purdue from winning, and while they may have missed one (on both sides if we are honest) or two, that wasn't the reason PU won. To blame someone else for what we did wrong sounds like UK fans.

They brought Higgins out of retirement to ruin my week. It worked. @*&%!!!

I wouldn't tell the young men on the team that was the reason they lost (and it was not the only reason), but I'm not on the team, and in my viewpoint the officiating was egregious, man.. To act like officiating has no effect on the game, that the referees are perfect robots that always make perfect calls, is burying your head in the sand. They most certainly do make mistakes, even the best ones. Normally, in a fairly officiated game, those will balance out through the course of the game. Will that always happen? One would have to think that there are statistical outliers, and I believe that we saw one in this game. This game was one where things almost certainly did not balance out, and the lions-share of bad calls went against Purdue and caused a great negative influence on the game for the Purdue team. IMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT