ADVERTISEMENT

2022 -> 2023

Apr 5, 2022
I haven't seen many people discussing this, but college basketball completely changed in 2022 with the new 5th year, instant transfer, and NIL rules. Unfortunately, Purdue wasn't really able to take advantage. Hindsight is 20/20 to say Painter should have taken a transfer, but the roster was pretty much full and set. We were never going to get a Remy Martin, Brady Manek, or Collin Gillespie type level player (all major pieces on Final 4 teams who would have been ineligible previous to 2022). Purdue lost the Big Ten title to Illinois (whose whole starting lineup wouldn't have been there, assuming Kofi went pro if not for NIL, considering his suspension to start the year), and I doubt Wisconsin doesn't drop a few more close games without Davison (we saw how their guard depth looked when Hepburn got hurt in the tournament).

The driver of Purdue's success in 2023 has to be how Painter can now leverage these rules and become a beneficiary of the transfer portal. If we can bring in a Nijel Pack and another guard who can give us good minutes, I don't see why Purdue can't potentially be a top-3 seed again in 2023. I see some similarities to the 2019 team in that Edey is capable of taking a huge offensive burden to begin the season (like Carsen), and we will see if the new pieces (hopefully 2 transfer guards, Kaufman, and Waddell) are capable of growing into form as the season goes on. I think that I have a lot more optimism than most people given these circumstances but am interested in what others think.

I haven't seen many people discussing this, but college basketball completely changed in 2022 with the new 5th year, instant transfer, and NIL rules. Unfortunately, Purdue wasn't really able to take advantage. Hindsight is 20/20 to say Painter should have taken a transfer, but the roster was pretty much full and set. We were never going to get a Remy Martin, Brady Manek, or Collin Gillespie type level player (all major pieces on Final 4 teams who would have been ineligible previous to 2022). Purdue lost the Big Ten title to Illinois (whose whole starting lineup wouldn't have been there, assuming Kofi went pro if not for NIL, considering his suspension to start the year), and I doubt Wisconsin doesn't drop a few more close games without Davison (we saw how their guard depth looked when Hepburn got hurt in the tournament).

The driver of Purdue's success in 2023 has to be how Painter can now leverage these rules and become a beneficiary of the transfer portal. If we can bring in a Nijel Pack and another guard who can give us good minutes, I don't see why Purdue can't potentially be a top-3 seed again in 2023. I see some similarities to the 2019 team in that Edey is capable of taking a huge offensive burden to begin the season (like Carsen), and we will see if the new pieces (hopefully 2 transfer guards, Kaufman, and Waddell) are capable of growing into form as the season goes on. I think that I have a lot more optimism than most people given these circumstances but am interested in what others think.
That's the key. Getting 2 good scoring guards in the portal. As we can see the Guard position is the most crucial position on the court.

Rothstein has us at #20. That’s without 2 potential guards in the portal or Hunter coming back.

Reactions: Poprudy
That's the key. Getting 2 good scoring guards in the portal. As we can see the Guard position is the most crucial position on the court.
And, if you get 2 such guards, you can't play entirely through the post with them...need to use the post and the advantage that exists, but, can't be the primary focus...and, they absolutely HAVE to become a team that pushes pace and gets up and down the floor some...UNC did that last night in the first half and Kansas was outstanding at/with doing it in the second.

Purdue was at its best this year early when it was sharing the ball and getting baskets in transition...over the course of conference play, it settled into a half-court, pound the post type team and played games in the 60s rather than the 80s.

Purdue failed to capitalize on pretty much any of those things that you touched on...little to nothing with respect to NIL...nobody thus far has taken advantage of the extra year...and, it did not use the portal at all.

I think there will be changes with all 3 (and hope that there is)...there has to be for that matter for Purdue to benefit as others already did, have and are.

I am concerned about the potential class imbalance(s) again...it is something that I won't say has haunted Purdue, but, it sure puts pressure on them from a recruiting standpoint at times, and, unnecessary pressure at that.

Purdue has pieces to still be really good next year...it misses that elite talent that it had in Ivey, but, it has a lot of really good and talented guys, and, it is going to add at least one more in Pack.

Newman and his potential impact looms large.

Reactions: Poprudy
That's the season after next, we're going to the Phil Knight tourney next season which has arguably better competition
Oh right, maybe if he stays another year. I was thinking we had a chance to play Duke this year.

ESPN has us at #23. Tells me what they think of CMP. Get us 2 guards and potential top 10-15 again.
ESPN isn't a great source, but I think this shows how far the program has come in the last few years. I remember ESPN not ranking Purdue preseason after losing only Swanigan, returning Carsen, Vince, Haas, etc. I think the team has garnered more national attention, and that can't hurt. And to think that they decided the team was top 25 without Kaufman, Newman, or two guard transfers even starting is also kind of crazy to me. I like Loyer a lot, but hopefully he isn't starting next year because we found a good alternative in a guard to transfer in, Newman returning to how he looked a year ago, and either Waddell, Morton, or Kaufman playing 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT