ADVERTISEMENT

2 Months Away From Start of Season

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
It is hard to believe that 2 months away from the start of the 2019 season. I don't know about anyone else, but I excited to get this season started. I think we are going to surprise a few people. I even heard a podcast, from someone that I had not heard of, that thinks that we could challenge for the Big Ten West this year. I think our youth make that more likely next year. Hey, if everything falls into place, I would not be shocked to see that statement come true. We were in it last year until we had a couple of really bad games.

My thoughts on what needs to happen to challenge for the West this year:
1. Stay relatively injury free - we know there will be injuries from being being banged up as the year goes on, but we cannot afford to lose key people where we have no depth.
2. OL line has to be gel - there are major questions with our line, and we do not have a graduate transfer this year to shore this area up. Our QB, more than likely Sindelar, needs time to throw to use the weapons that we could have this year from the receiving corp.
3. Sindelar needs to have that breakout year that he has shown glimpses of - besides being healthy a whole year, which has been difficult, and getting the line to hold up, this is the year that it is Sindelar's year to be the undisputed #1 QB. He has the talent and experience to make this a special year. I am hoping the injury bug will stay away. I see no reason why he could not lead the Big Ten in passing yards and TDs this year, if he were to stay healthy.
4. Pressure on the opponents QB - Last year, our defense let QBs have time to write a book at times. We were inexperienced and there was a lot of youth, but we still did not have the ability to pressure the QB. I know he is young, but I think Karlaftis will help with this tremendously this year. It would be nice to have another bookend like the early Tiller years where we could bring pressure from either side. With a little push from the interior, maybe someone else will show up to be that other pass rusher.
5. Someone to take the pressure off Moore - every team will concentrate their game plan on Moore. We saw last year that this did not stop Moore from still putting up big numbers. However, to make Moore even more effective, we need a couple of our young wideouts to step up, because we know that one of them are going to be open when Moore is double and triple teamed. I believe this is where Bell is going to provide such a big boost. I realize that we have Wright, Anderson, Sparks, Sheffield, Rice, etc. that could step up too, but Bell was not listed as a top 100 recruit for nothing. Just as Moore created match up problems as a slot, we need Bell to be that match up problem on the outside. Hopkins will help in the area too.
6. Lastly, we just need a little luck. We were in almost every game we lost last year, except for Minnesota. We need to make the plays when we needed it. Defense has to stop the personal fouls that killed 3rd down stops and let our opponents then score on that drive. We have to be able to get a single yard on offense when needed. That is why I wish Worship was healing quicker. It does not sound good with him the last I heard. We need a back that will not get pushed back from obtaining a single yard in a key 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1.
-There are obviously other keys to the season, finding our top #1 RB (injury questions and youth questions still in this area), better up the middle defense from our LBs, kicking consistently, etc. These were my top six though to have that special year.

I am ready for the season though! Boiler Up!!

Last edited:
It is hard to believe that 2 months away from the start of the 2019 season. I don't know about anyone else, but I excited to get this season started. I think we are going to surprise a few people. I even heard a podcast, from someone that I had not heard of, that thinks that we could challenge for the Big Ten West this year. I think our youth make that more likely next year. Hey, if everything falls into place, I would not be shocked to see that statement come true. We were in it last year until we had a couple of really bad games.

1. Stay relatively injury free - we know there will be injuries from being being banged up as the year goes on, but we cannot afford to lose key people where have no depth.
2. OL line has to be gel - there are major questions with our line, and we do not have a graduate transfer this year to shore this area up. Our QB, more than likely Sindelar, needs time to throw to use the weapons that we could have this year from the receiving corp.
3. Sindelar needs to have that breakout year that he has shown glimpses of - besides being healthy a whole year, which has been difficult, and getting the line to hold up, this is the year that it is Sindelar's year to be the undisputed #1 QB. He has the talent and experience to make this a special year. I am hoping the injury bug will stay away. I see no reason why he could not lead the Big Ten in passing yards and TDs this year, if he were to stay healthy.
4. Pressure on the opponents QB - Last year, our defense let QBs have time to write a book at times. We were inexperienced and there was a lot of youth, but we still did not have the ability to pressure the QB. I know he is young, but I think Karlaftis will help with this tremendously this year. It would be nice to have another bookend like the early Tiller years where we could bring pressure from either side. With a little push from the interior, maybe someone else will show up to be that other pass rusher.
5. Someone to take the pressure off Moore - every team will concentrate their game plan on Moore. We saw last year that this did not stop Moore from still putting up big numbers. However, to make Moore even more effective, we need a couple of our young wideouts to step up, because we know that one of them are going to be open when Moore is double and triple teamed. I believe this is where Bell is going to provide such a big boost. I realize that we have Wright, Anderson, Sparks, Sheffield, Rice, etc. that could step up too, but Bell was not listed as a top 100 recruit for nothing. Just as Moore created match up problems as a slot, we need Bell to be that match up problem on the outside. Hopkins will help in the area too.
6. Lastly, we just need a little luck. We were in almost every game we lost last year, except for Minnesota. We need to make the plays when we needed it. Defense has to stop the personal fouls that killed 3rd down stops and let our opponents then score on that drive. We have to be able to get a single yard on offense when needed. That is why I wish Worship was healing quicker. It does not sound good with him the last I heard. We need a back that will not get pushed back from obtaining a single yard in a key 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1.
-There are obviously other keys to the season, finding our top #1 RB (injury questions and youth questions still in this area), better up the middle defense from our LBs, kicking consistently, etc. These were my top six though to have that special year.

Good summary and I agree with all your points. Last years 6-6 team could have easily been 10-2. Bad penalty to end the N’Western game, same with Eastern Michigan ( however we should never lose to them), Mizzou could have went either way ( Sparks TD catch reversal wins that one), and Wisconsin was Triple OT. We really played bad at Minnesota and I think were driving late to win the Mich State game when Hopkins got targeted and fumbled. Looking very forward to this year!!

1. Stay relatively injury free - we know there will be injuries from being being banged up as the year goes on, but we cannot afford to lose key people where have no depth.

Random thoughts:

1) November is what kills teams with depth issues, which is why, despite being an improved team, contending for the West is not in the cards this season, IMO.
2) The Oline situation is a huge concern. Will be curious to see the state of it when fall camp wraps up.
5) Time to throw is what will maximize Moore. If the QB has to get it out immediately, he will have fewer opportunities. (See No. 2)
6) Agree. Luck and/or focus is always huge. If this is a 7 win team, good fortune makes it 9. It works both ways of course, and bad luck makes for a disappointing season.

Reactions: Roeder and LLaswell

1. Stay relatively injury free - we know there will be injuries from being being banged up as the year goes on, but we cannot afford to lose key people where we have no depth.

Agree with your points. RB will likely be by committee. Worship recovery may not happen. That 1-3 yards when needed will likely come with Horvath pounding the rock.

Reactions: Purdue85

Look for blitzes from the safety and nickel position. Graham, Grant, and Trice should be able to get after the QB. Lots of speed and strength. Bailey is going to do his thing and I think GK helps the pass rush. My concern is Neal. He has to get back and be 100% for that D-line to have any hope at pressure. When he missed time, the defense tanked.

I am hoping to see the DBs take a significant leap. That will help the D-line out and I think Safety is going to be one of the stronger positions on the team. Manufacture pressure and buy some time for GK and co. to get there. Line up a safety outside GK and fake a blitz to give GK a one on one occasionally. No doubt Holt will have to be creative and I can’t wait to see it.

Let’s also not forget that a good offense can really help the defense. If the OL can’t open hopes for the RB, hopefully we can get production like we got from Knox with all those yards after contact. Brohm was creative with reverses and flea flickers, that stuff can help buy time. I also think the weapons on offense will be far greater than anything we have seen in a while. I don’t expect Bell and Co. to have Moore-like numbers. But I do expect him to see the end zone a bunch and open the offense up.

My big concerns are the OL and DL, but those have been issues ever since Brohm got here so I expect him to adapt and overcome!

Reactions: 72Boiler
There's still time to land a grad transfer OL or DL contributor (or both). We should see where that shakes out by the end of the month.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I would hope , with as many O linemen on the roster, that 5 of them can do the job well. On defense, Johnson had a redshirt year, he should be ready to play. Hopefully Neal is healthy.

Reactions: NVboiler and SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT