ADVERTISEMENT

#18 Creighton at #16 Purdue WVB

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Creighton looks very tough. Purdue fought off 4 consecutive set points and 6 total set points to go from 19-24 to 24-24 tie but end in a 26-28 defeat. Chloe not playing like she was at the end of last night’s game but she didn’t play that well in the first set last night either.

Both teams plagued by service errors. Coach Shondell is playing numerous freshmen. Our hitting % was only 0.157 and only 2 blocks. We have to be better.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Boilers lose 2nd set 25-21. Purdue was ahead by 5 points(?) and then Creighton went on an 8-1 blitz and Purdue never recovered. Purdue’s hitting % is 0.114 compared to 0.221 for the Blue Jays. They have 7 blocks and 28 kills compared to our 4 and 24. Hudson has 8 kills, Raven 7 and Chicoine just 4.

Now we need to win three straight which seems unlikely.

Swept for first time in Holloway by a non-conference foe. I wasn’t expecting that. We will see how we rebound tomorrow.

Last edited:
We looked very out of sync,but I am not any type of expert on VB. And Creighton looked like a well oiled machine ? except for service errors

Reactions: Boilermb and DocRon
Boilers lose 2nd set 25-21. Purdue was ahead by 5 points(?) and then Creighton went on an 8-1 blitz and Purdue never recovered. Purdue’s hitting % is 0.114 compared to 0.221 for the Blue Jays. They have 7 blocks and 28 kills compared to our 4 and 24. Hudson has 8 kills, Raven 7 and Chicoine just 4.

Now we need to win three straight which seems unlikely.

Creighton was the better team today…Raven has to be better, also, couple girls looked like green horns, Carr isn’t there yet. Chloe was smashing that ball in the third set, Creighton was just better.
Yes, I wish Chloe had played the entire games like she did in set 3..

Man didn’t see this coming…. Wasn’t able to watch at all (family gathering, no TV with BTN) so tried to check scores on my phone. When I saw Purdue was down 2 sets, did not have a good feeling. Hope this is a wake-up call, if poor play/execution was the issue. If it’s a talent gap, then hats off to Creighton and Boilers just need to go back to work. It’s a young team. They’ll figure it out under Coach Dave.
A win tomorrow will salve the wound, but I hope this loss just makes them hungrier.

Creighton was the better team with its standout setter and more efficient offensive players; it was quite opportunistic and the HC stemmed the tide with timely challenges that Creighton won. I know the Boilers are young (starting two freshmen and a sophomore today), but unless this team gets more efficient on the offensive end and starts deploying more offensive weapons, it will be a long year in the Big 10. The conference is so physical; just watch the Wisconsin and Minnesota matches. Purdue's setting play isn't very good right now. Dave Shondell talked last week about Eva Hudson having some overuse injuries after last season; this season might be more of the same if she doesn't get more help. I also don't know how you can win consistently in the conference with a 5-10 (albeit very athletic) left-side hitter--especially when you are getting little help from the middle or right side hitters.

Reactions: DocRon
Dave posted this last evening:

"Tough afternoon in Holloway. Creighton was a well-oiled machine on a mission. Our squad played hard, but did not execute at the necessary level. After many years doing this, I know a unique & high potential group. ⁦@PurdueVB is that team. Nothing exceptional is ever easy."

What more can he say but that this team has great potential. Hopefully it can act on that better than yesterday afternoon. I wish their first game against Duke had been a little more difficult and maybe the underclassmen (almost the entire team) would have realized you can take nothing for granted.

You have to wonder if Dave will try Yim at setter. He said in his podcast that he was "shocked at how well she is playing." Even a novice like me could see that some of the sets from Poulter were not well placed and predictable. But Dave knows a lot more about it than me or anyone here.

Last edited:
Creighton was the better team today…Raven has to be better, also, couple girls looked like green horns, Carr isn’t there yet. Chloe was smashing that ball in the third set, Creighton was just better.
Think that Creighton returned most everyone from last year too. Lots of experience on that team and we are still honing a starting rotation. Liked what Grace H did on the block. Think we need more Lourdes out there. This team is only going to get better as they get experience with each other.

"Tough afternoon in Holloway. Creighton was a well-oiled machine on a mission. Our squad played hard, but did not execute at the necessary level. After many years doing this, I know a unique & high potential group. ⁦@PurdueVB is that team. Nothing exceptional is ever easy."

What more can he say but that this team has great potential. Hopefully it can act on that better than yesterday afternoon. I wish their first game against Duke had been a little more difficult and maybe the underclassmen (almost the entire team) would have realized you can take nothing for granted.

You have to wonder if Dave will try Yim at setter. He said in his podcast that he was "shocked at how well she is playing." Even a novice like me could see that some of the sets from Poulter were not well placed and predictable. But Dave knows a lot more about it than me or anyone here.
I agree about the setting. I thought a bunch that choline got limited what she could do. Wonder if Taylor is ready too? I think he gave the nod to LP because of her experience but it was rough setting last night. Chloe has such a fast swing you lose that advantage on those high, slow sets.

Creighton was the better team with its standout setter and more efficient offensive players; it was quite opportunistic and the HC stemmed the tide with timely challenges that Creighton won. I know the Boilers are young (starting two freshmen and a sophomore today), but unless this team gets more efficient on the offensive end and starts deploying more offensive weapons, it will be a long year in the Big 10. The conference is so physical; just watch the Wisconsin and Minnesota matches. Purdue's setting play isn't very good right now. Dave Shondell talked last week about Eva Hudson having some overuse injuries after last season; this season might be more of the same if she doesn't get more help. I also don't know how you can win consistently in the conference with a 5-10 (albeit very athletic) left-side hitter--especially when you are getting little help from the middle or right side hitters.
MB weren’t getting enough sets. GH first game-lead the team in blocks so that’s a plus. We played a very good team with experiencing playing together. Not sure why we didn’t throw Kenna in at OH to give Chloe a breather…she had to be tanked after the first match.

MB weren’t getting enough sets. GH first game-lead the team in blocks so that’s a plus. We played a very good team with experiencing playing together. Not sure why we didn’t throw Kenna in at OH to give Chloe a breather…she had to be tanked after the first match.
Thanks for your insight - it is valued, at least by me. Did you play or coach? I hope you visit here frequently.

I agree about the setting. I thought a bunch that choline got limited what she could do. Wonder if Taylor is ready too? I think he gave the nod to LP because of her experience but it was rough setting last night. Chloe has such a fast swing you lose that advantage on those high, slow sets.
The high, slow sets give the defensive team time to set their block. Plus a set coming from behind the 10 foot line can restrict the hitter’s ability to see the block and adjust.

Reactions: MichaelRR

Some of our sets last night looked like hitters had to hang in mid air to hit while Creighton’s sets were leading the hitters so they could hit with more authority and the defense doesn’t have as much time to get set. Against Duke more than 90% of Purdue’s kill attempts were for three players. I don’t know the stats from last night, but we need to be able to distribute the ball around more.

Some of our sets last night looked like hitters had to hang in mid air to hit while Creighton’s sets were leading the hitters so they could hit with more authority and the defense doesn’t have as much time to get set. Against Duke more than 90% of Purdue’s kill attempts were for three players. I don’t know the stats from last night, but we need to be able to distribute the ball around more.
That will come as our mostly inexperienced hitters gain experience this season.

Reactions: lj85
The high, slow sets give the defensive team time to set their block. Plus a set coming from behind the 10 foot line can restrict the hitter’s ability to see the block and adjust.
Exactly! Chloe works her butt off being underszed. Can throw that set and expect CC to be able to. be at her greatest threat.

Reactions: Boilermb
Thanks for your insight - it is valued, at least by me. Did you play or coach? I hope you visit here frequently.
Coached and my daughter was a 4 year all state (undersized) OH. Broke her Momma’s heart when she finally left basketball ( good sized point guard at 5-10) for volleyball 😄 She couldn’t play high level club ball and still play basketball.

I played basketball as an athlete and coached HS volleyball, soccer, and bball. Fell in love with volleyball. My daughter was a high level club player - 6 rotation player. Got to play against a lot of top players I get to watch across the country. Her shoulder was pretty messed up and she decided to not pursue college level ball. Just graduated and is an Emergency Room RN now. I sure do miss the game though! Love watching Purdue and love hearing your perspective! It’s an amazing game I came late to but I may like it more than women’s bball now!!

Exactly! Chloe works her butt off being underszed. Can throw that set and expect CC to be able to. be at her greatest threat.
We need to pass the ball better in order to have our setter distribute the ball better. I had other obligations and had to miss the Purdue Creighton game. But my friend who was at the game told me today that one of the most glaring differences between the 2 teams was that the Creighton setter pretty much just stayed 2 feet off the net and waited for the passe to come right to her, while Purdue’s passes had Poulter running all over the court.

Reactions: DocRon
We need to pass the ball better in order to have our setter distribute the ball better. I had other obligations and had to miss the Purdue Creighton game. But my friend who was at the game told me today that one of the most glaring differences between the 2 teams was that the Creighton setter pretty much just stayed 2 feet off the net and waited for the passe to come right to her, while Purdue’s passes had Poulter running all over the court.
I watched the games. You are right about the passing but LP looked a bit slower to me-not sure if the injury effected her speed/reaction time. TS was most quicker to the ball. Passing can always be better. We sure had a string of BAD serve relieves. I didn’t really see a ton of passing problems. I need to go back and watch again. I personally though the game flowed better with TS setting but need to rewatch for sure!

I watched the games. You are right about the passing but LP looked a bit slower to me-not sure if the injury effected her speed/reaction time. TS was most quicker to the ball. Passing can always be better. We sure had a string of BAD serve relieves. I didn’t really see a ton of passing problems. I need to go back and watch again. I personally though the game flowed better with TS setting but need to rewatch for sure!
TS? I thought the same on Poulter, she looked pretty good on Friday but less so as the weekend went on. I was thinking 3 matches against 3 good teams in 3 days was a little too much for her.

TS? I thought the same on Poulter, she looked pretty good on Friday but less so as the weekend went on. I was thinking 3 matches against 3 good teams in 3 days was a little too much for her.
Well, as Dave said in his presser, Poulter is not completely recovered from her injury yet (different from what he said at the beginning of the season when talking about her.)

Well, as Dave said in his presser, Poulter is not completely recovered from her injury yet (different from what he said at the beginning of the season when talking about her.)

Taylor the freshman setter-do I have her name 😑. Poulter had a great connection with Raven-that really stood out to me. Her experience is a huge draw-May be why they went with her the first weekend. Taylor is going to be a great BIG 10 setter-she has all the tools plus she was a much better server than Poulter.

That does not surprise me.
I think a lot of CDS’s comments are intended more for the players (to encourage them) than for us fans.
I think so too. I also think he always talk about the positives. He has so many athletes on the team and only some will get to see the floor-that has to be hard to manage!

What is the rule for NCAA volleyball on red-shirting. If a girl sees the floor during a game can she still red shirt? I know the rule for NCAA basketball but not volleyball.

Taylor the freshman setter-do I have her name 😑. Poulter had a great connection with Raven-that really stood out to me. Her experience is a huge draw-May be why they went with her the first weekend. Taylor is going to be a great BIG 10 setter-she has all the tools plus she was a much better server than Poulter.
Taylor Anderson. I wish she had been one of the freshman who enrolled early like Chicoine and Wollard.

Last edited:
What is the rule for NCAA volleyball on red-shirting. If a girl sees the floor during a game can she still red shirt? I know the rule for NCAA basketball but not volleyball.
I am pretty sure it is like WBB (and MBB) - if they see the floor for even one minute, they. burn their redshirt. I think that should be changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT