ADVERTISEMENT

WVB IU @ Purdue - Purdue dominates in first set

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
Purdue leads start to end and wins 25-33. At one point the Boilers was ahead by as much as 8 (if I remember correctly). IU made a run at the end and Dave called a TO. We won the set on the next ball. Purdue hitting 0.351 while IU was only hitting 0.282. Hudson and Chicoine lead kills at 5 each.

Alonso-Corcelles (AC) leads IU with 8 kills. She is deadly.

Boilers win set #2 25-22 with IU Coach Steve Ayer’s losing his last challenge when he challenged Purdue’s set point. Once again, Boilers led big early and then IU went on a couple of runs. IU is really, really good at serving with 4 Aces so far. But their hitting % on this set was only 0.065 vs the Boilers 0.231.

Purdue has 7 blks vs IU’s 3. Chicoine and Hudson lead in kills with 7, and Colvin 6. IU’s AC has 10.

IU wins set #3 25-21 on a service error while IU is serving Aces. Sigh.

Colvin having a great night with 6 kills and 10 BLOCKS hitting 0.600. Hudson has 13 kills but only 8 for Chicoine. Team needs to reacquire their fire.

Purdue wins the set and the match dominating IU in the 4th set 25-13. Nice game with a total of 16 blks,

Hudson had 19 kills with only 5 errors, Myers had 11 kills with 3 errors and 5 blks And Colvin was amazing with 7 kills but 11 blks. Chicoine had a subpar night with 9 kills but 3 blks (her high for the season).

Now on to Happy Valley for a tough match.

Last edited:
Listened to the radio call tonight - male announcer back to his old ways of not giving the score very often, and had the gal sidekick who adds next to nothing to the broadcast. Wish Mo Hornung was available - she was good.
Man I really wanted them to sweep this match, but they found their heat again in set 4 and put IU away. Coach Dave’s post match comments on the radio were brief - he said Myers needs to focus and be decisive, and that the team is nowhere near reaching their potential at times.

I think the inconsistency stems from their youth (JMO) and they’ll have these head-scratching stretches where you wonder if they forgot how to play. Still, very exciting group to pull for.

Listened to the radio call tonight - male announcer back to his old ways of not giving the score very often, and had the gal sidekick who adds next to nothing to the broadcast. Wish Mo Hornung was available - she was good.
Man I really wanted them to sweep this match, but they found their heat again in set 4 and put IU away. Coach Dave’s post match comments on the radio were brief - he said Myers needs to focus and be decisive, and that the team is nowhere near reaching their potential at times.

I think the inconsistency stems from their youth (JMO) and they’ll have these head-scratching stretches where you wonder if they forgot how to play. Still, very exciting group to pull for.
Agree with you about Mo Hornung. The present radio broadcast is so subpar it drives me crazy and I have just stopped listening.

Yep, a young, talented but inconsistent team. But fun to watch.

In Casey’s nice write up of the game (posted on The Depot but not here - grrr) he says that at the post-game presser (which once again I do not find on-line) Dave says about playing IU twice in one week "It's emotional. It wears you out." He added. "I need a vacation.“

My wife and I both felt he looked exhausted with not much joy. I hope he can catch some rest. I am sure that John being gone has stressed him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT