ADVERTISEMENT

Will Robert Phinisee be the next to commit to IU.

Saw some tweets and it seems like the news is getting out.

Good for him, hopefully we give him a heroes welcome next year....
Yep, good luck to him. This is one that it didn't seem we were too invested in from a recruiting standpoint.

That tells me this isn't that big of a deal for us and based on our current personnel, I would tend to agree.

That makes sense. But I was making a joke, a bad one, :confused:about how this thread derailed so far from the original Phinese topico_O
Well since this thread is derailed..... time for beer!

buzzlightyear.jpg

4546947.jpg

images

1. How dare you go off on a tangent
b. You know something we don't?

I did notice he just got an offer from Georgetown
1. Apologies, don't shoot the outsider
b. No. He's said for awhile he'd like to make a decision after AAU ball. He was going to sit down with his family to decide and then announce sometime in August (towards the end). I believe that has been pushed up and will happen within the week.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
from the 70's and hee haw: is it thyme to sing: you picked a phinisee time to leave me Lucile?

from the 70's and hee haw: is it thyme to sing: you picked a phinisee time to leave me Lucile?
That song sends a chill down my spine. When I was in grade school/jr high, that song seemed to always play on the radio station every Monday morning when my alarm went off. It was like Groundhog Day and "I Got You Babe". I always associate that song with winter mondays dragging myself out of bed.

That song sends a chill down my spine. When I was in grade school/jr high, that song seemed to always play on the radio station every Monday morning when my alarm went off. It was like Groundhog Day and "I Got You Babe". I always associate that song with winter mondays dragging myself out of bed.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Scheffler90

There was a companion song at Purdue :

Gloom despair, and Agasi on me.
Deep dark depression, excessive Vitali.
if it weren't for Dierking, we'd have no wins at all. .
Gloom despair, and Agasi on me.

and shortly after performing that song at the end of season football banquet, Agassi departed ways with Purdue. Admittedly, the song and words were a bit tacky, and uncalled for, but it was effective and got the job done.

Ringo Starr predicted that in a song. You know it don't come easy.
That man is one of the luckiest human beings alive. He is playing in a crap band in the dregs of Hamburg when some first-time wannabe manger approaches him to join another upstart band. 17 months later...Ed Sullivan: "Ladies and gentleman, THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!"

Guy has a horrible reputation with women, and booze and women. First wife tries to kill herself on moped. Gives about every girlfriend after a complex. So of course he marries the best Bond girl ever in 81.

I actually like Ringo and like his drumming. I do think John, Paul and George are lucky to have found him too, but Ringo has this "stumbling-on-a-treasure-chest" demeanor about him.

Last edited:
That man us one of the luckiest human beings alive. He is playing in a crap band in the dregs of Hamburg when some first-time wannabe manger approaches him to join another upstart band. 17 months later...Ed Sullivan: "Ladies and gentleman, THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!"

Guy has a horrible reputation with women, and booze and women. First wife tries to kill herself on moped. Gives about every girlfriend after a complex. So of course he marries the best Bond girl ever in 81.

I actually like Ringo and like his drumming. I do think John, Paul and George are lucky to have found him too, but Ringo has this "stumbling-on-a-treasure-chest" demeanor about him.

a charmed life perhaps.....

Barbara Bach as Anya Amasova/Triple X in the "Spy Who Loved Me" is a terrific choice.

I was partial to Domino (Claudine Auger) and Fiona Volpe (Luciana Paluzzi) in "Thunderball" and Jill Masterson (Shirley Eaton) in "Goldfinger" as well.

"Do you like wild things Mr. Bond.....James Bond?"

fionacage.jpg

That man is one of the luckiest human beings alive. He is playing in a crap band in the dregs of Hamburg when some first-time wannabe manger approaches him to join another upstart band. 17 months later...Ed Sullivan: "Ladies and gentleman, THE BEATLES!!!!!!!!"
Actually Ringo was playing with a band called Rory Storm and the Hurricanes when John and Paul first met him. It was a decent group at the time, superior to whatever the initial Beatles were calling themselves then. And Ringo was a really good drummer even at that age, which is why he was sought out and the old drummer given the boot (Pete Best? my memory escapes me)

this is what happens to threads when a "must get" recruit dumps us for IU.

Yep.....brand new coach gets a cherry from the tree in our yard. Sucks. I hope this isn't true, but anyway you want to try and spin it....it sucks bad.

Yep.....brand new coach gets a cherry from the tree in our yard. Sucks. I hope this isn't true, but anyway you want to try and spin it....it sucks bad.

That is such an overstatement. We will be fine without him. Let us wish him well and then beat him on the court for his tenure there.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
No it doesn't and there is no spin needed. Who's minutes would he take so he could play? But saying this sucks bad is just a giant over reaction.

It doesn't matter who's minutes he would take. The same would be said of Hunter or Embery or any point guard Painter signs in the 2018 class. The simple fact was Phinisee was a Purdue target, and a pretty good player. And we were out recruited by IU. This is just like losing out on JJJ. WHo's minutes would JJJ take? Or Francis, or Anderson? Or Langford?

You never know with a recruit how they will fit in. But he was a quality player who will be playing elsewhere. I wish him well, and hope we can sign somebody just as good. And worry about minutes when the player arrives.

It doesn't matter who's minutes he would take. The same would be said of Hunter or Embery or any point guard Painter signs in the 2018 class. The simple fact was Phinisee was a Purdue target, and a pretty good player. And we were out recruited by IU. This is just like losing out on JJJ. WHo's minutes would JJJ take? Or Francis, or Anderson? Or Langford?

You never know with a recruit how they will fit in. But he was a quality player who will be playing elsewhere. I wish him well, and hope we can sign somebody just as good. And worry about minutes when the player arrives.

This X 100

This is NOTHING like losing JJJ. CMP Recruited JJJ 100x harder than he did Phinisee, and JJJ is a special player. Phinisee is not. I have never seen such hand-wringing over losing a player who's not even a top 100 guy. Wow.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
This is NOTHING like losing JJJ. CMP Recruited JJJ 100x harder than he did Phinisee, and JJJ is a special player. Phinisee is not. I have never seen such hand-wringing over losing a player who's not even a top 100 guy. Wow.
Right on point. We needed JJJ and could have put him into the starting line up right away. Phinisee, not so much.

I would also speculate that we were never that hot after him. Yes, we made an offer, but did we send coaches to his games and his house? Maybe not so much. Based on who we have next year, and who we may get, I am not sure he would have played all that much.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Right on point. We needed JJJ and could have put him into the starting line up right away. Phinisee, not so much.

I would also speculate that we were never that hot after him. Yes, we made an offer, but did we send coaches to his games and his house? Maybe not so much. Based on who we have next year, and who we may get, I am not sure he would have played all that much.

Of course you'd "speculate" all of that. However, if a new coach decides to make Robert such a priority in such a short time. AND to visit his house AND send coaches to his games, as you "speculate" Painter didn't do, then you'd better hope he ends up not being a big deal. I honestly hope him going to IU is not true. Time will tell, but I'm pretty convinced he's going to be a big deal. With you now deciding Painter didn't even really want him, will be even more sad if he does become a big deal. Just think...a new coach, out recruits AND out evaluated a player in our yard. Sucks.

I think you're missing my point. Looking at next year's team, it's going to be hard for any guard to start over Eastern and C Edwards no matter how good they are including Langford. Painter targeted 6+ top 150 guards. It's sad to see Phinisee go elsewhere just like it's sad to see Carmody and Emery go elsewhere. It's clear Phinisee was not Painter's top choice, but he would have been a welcome addition.

And for the reply to JJJ, I was also sad he chose MSU. It doesn't really matter how much time a coach invests in recruiting a player if the result is that he chose to go elsewhere. I'm quite certain people would love if Porter chose Purdue over Missouri. And you can argue with me all weekend, but JJJ was projected to be a one and done player. He supposedly had skills to player center, power forward and small forward. We've had a lot of discussion about our 4 seniors are going to start. I'll ask again, if JJJ came to Purdue wanting to be a one and done player, whose minutes would he take? I think part of the reason he chose MSU was because he didn't want to be Haas or V Edwards back up. Or share time at multiple positions. If JJJ came to Purdue, whose place would he he take? Would VEdwards shift to SF and C Edwards go to the bench? A player who wants to be a one and done player is not going to be a happy guy if he's not the star. Could you see Swanigan being happy as a supporting role player?

And that's the problem with recruiting one and done players and elite athletes. They are not going to be satisfied being a role player or being on the bench. They will look for teams where they can start immediately. And if JJJ did start immediately, one of Painter's seniors would have taken a huge hit in minutes played - most likely Haas or V Edwards. I'm sad we missed out on JJJ, but it's not the end of the world. And if he came, it would take a while for our on court chemistry to blend his talents . It was obvious Wheeler and Haas were not on the same page last night. I can imagine the same would be true if it were JJJ. it's hard to build a successful team around a one and done player and having a freshmen be your focal point. I look to LSU and Simmons. I will watch the progress of Porter at Missouri.

Painter has missed out on a lot of players he's recruited. Big deal. There's a lot of talented players he didn't want as well. I'm not going to cry over missed opportunities. It's Painters team. However I will offer my opinion and expectations. And that opinion is we have a sweet 16 team, and nothing more. Phinisee would have provided some nice depth to our current team. But he wasn't going to make us a final four team. Then again, he was one of the better players Painter was recruiting.

People were upset we lost out on Francis. We got Williams! Where would Francis find minutes? Who knows or cares?

Of course you'd "speculate" all of that. However, if a new coach decides to make Robert such a priority in such a short time. AND to visit his house AND send coaches to his games, as you "speculate" Painter didn't do, then you'd better hope he ends up not being a big deal. I honestly hope him going to IU is not true. Time will tell, but I'm pretty convinced he's going to be a big deal. With you now deciding Painter didn't even really want him, will be even more sad if he does become a big deal. Just think...a new coach, out recruits AND out evaluated a player in our yard. Sucks.
I agree that it WOULD suck if Phinisee ends up being a stud for IU. CMP obviously doesn't share your opinion or he would have been court side at all of his games like he was with Dawson, Biggie, JJJ, etc.

We'll see who's right in a few years.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
I think you're missing my point. Looking at next year's team, it's going to be hard for any guard to start over Eastern and C Edwards no matter how good they are including Langford. Painter targeted 6+ top 150 guards. It's sad to see Phinisee go elsewhere just like it's sad to see Carmody and Emery go elsewhere. It's clear Phinisee was not Painter's top choice, but he would have been a welcome addition.

And for the reply to JJJ, I was also sad he chose MSU. It doesn't really matter how much time a coach invests in recruiting a player if the result is that he chose to go elsewhere. I'm quite certain people would love if Porter chose Purdue over Missouri. And you can argue with me all weekend, but JJJ was projected to be a one and done player. He supposedly had skills to player center, power forward and small forward. We've had a lot of discussion about our 4 seniors are going to start. I'll ask again, if JJJ came to Purdue wanting to be a one and done player, whose minutes would he take? I think part of the reason he chose MSU was because he didn't want to be Haas or V Edwards back up. Or share time at multiple positions. If JJJ came to Purdue, whose place would he he take? Would VEdwards shift to SF and C Edwards go to the bench? A player who wants to be a one and done player is not going to be a happy guy if he's not the star. Could you see Swanigan being happy as a supporting role player?

And that's the problem with recruiting one and done players and elite athletes. They are not going to be satisfied being a role player or being on the bench. They will look for teams where they can start immediately. And if JJJ did start immediately, one of Painter's seniors would have taken a huge hit in minutes played - most likely Haas or V Edwards. I'm sad we missed out on JJJ, but it's not the end of the world. And if he came, it would take a while for our on court chemistry to blend his talents . It was obvious Wheeler and Haas were not on the same page last night. I can imagine the same would be true if it were JJJ. it's hard to build a successful team around a one and done player and having a freshmen be your focal point. I look to LSU and Simmons. I will watch the progress of Porter at Missouri.

Painter has missed out on a lot of players he's recruited. Big deal. There's a lot of talented players he didn't want as well. I'm not going to cry over missed opportunities. It's Painters team. However I will offer my opinion and expectations. And that opinion is we have a sweet 16 team, and nothing more. Phinisee would have provided some nice depth to our current team. But he wasn't going to make us a final four team. Then again, he was one of the better players Painter was recruiting.

People were upset we lost out on Francis. We got Williams! Where would Francis find minutes? Who knows or cares?
Losing Anderson to IU hurt, because we DID recruit him hard (and first) and we DO have a need for a wing next year with DM and VE graduating.

My other point and question is this. This is a thread about Phinisee. What are we supposed to say, and how are we supposed to react? Because he chose a different school are we supposed to say he was garbage and talk up how we didn't need him anyway, and say he wouldn't be a difference maker, and wouldn't get minutes? I've seen those types of posts for the past 10 years.

And because he chose someplace else is not an indicator that Painter didn't really want him.

Granted, he was not my first choice, but he is a talented player. And the reality is my first choice didn't choose Purdue either. I believe we all want the best players to come to Purdue. But we don't have to berate a player's talent or our coach's recruiting ability if a player chooses to go to another school.

We'll be fine with Eastern and C Edwards in the backcourt. But it's ok to want to add a quality player to that mix. And it's ok to be sad if that player chooses to go somewhere else. It's not the first time Purdue lost out on a recruit. You play the games with the hand you are given.

Although it's also healthy to play the game of what if our team had all the players I want Painter to sign. People do it everyday. It's called fantasy basketball. And the reason people play it is because your favorite team either sucks or they don't have the players you want. Just think if fantasy basketball involved college players with our annual drafts. If we had a college fantasy basketball league, who would be your first pick? Haas? Or would you go for a guard?

That's why we have sports forums to give each of us a chance to express and share our opinions.

However, if a new coach decides to make Robert such a priority in such a short time
Because he has to do something to regain traction with Indiana high school programs after Crean destroyed them.

He has been about the same ranking by all recruiting services for the last 3 years. Maybe ask yourself why that is instead of crying that IU is making him a priority.

End of day, I would rather lose Phinisee and get Isaiah Thompson in 2019. If getting Rob means we lose out on Isaiah I would be more upset.

I don't see the "hurt". Painter has recruited a lot of players hard. He spent a lot of time on a lot of players who went elsewhere. Did it hurt when Epperson chose Creighton? Or when Harris chose MSU or when Robinson chose Michigan? Does it hurt more if the player is more talented?

If you're upset we lost out on Anderson, then you're probably upset we lost out on all those previous players who went elsewhere like Zeller. I think Scotty May was recruited by Purdue. We lost out on him too.

The reality is that Painter has identified and recruited a lot of players a lot earlier than most coaches and then some team comes in at the last minute and signs him. This year is no different. If Langford went elsewhere, would you be upset? Was Langford not also a top target / priority? Or would you be less upset because you just didn't expect PAinter to be able to sign him? I have to believe Painter wants Langford as much as he wants any other player this year. And it will hurt when he announces to go elsewhere.

The only player I feel sad about not coming to Purdue other than Bill Walton, Scotty May, Zachary Randolph, and Landon Turner is Cronk! And the reason I am sad about him is that he expressed multiple times of his desire to play for Purdue and Hazell totally ignored him. I am saddened most when a talented player expresses their desire to play for Purdue and we ignore them. Sasha was one of those players. He really wanted to come to Purdue. And Painter made it happen. Sasha is a feel good story.

Because he has to do something to regain traction with Indiana high school programs after Crean destroyed them.

He has been about the same ranking by all recruiting services for the last 3 years. Maybe ask yourself why that is instead of crying that IU is making him a priority.

End of day, I would rather lose Phinisee and get Isaiah Thompson in 2019. If getting Rob means we lose out on Isaiah I would be more upset.

I would agree with this point. Isaiah is a very talented player. But if I was Isaiah, and I saw Purdue starting Eastern at PG, with Phinisee as a backup, I might look elsewhere for a better chance of starting. I believe the fact Purdue has Eastern and Edwards played a factor in Carmody's decision and also Langford. It's nice to have two talented young guards. But the reality is it will effect future recruiting. And we will lose out on somebody. There is no guarantee if we signe Phinisee that we'd lose out on Isiah, but it would be a significant factor in his decision. But I'd hate to sacrifice the 2018 recruiting class out of fear it would impact landing a 2019 recruit .

Are you always this much of a whiner?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT