ADVERTISEMENT

Will Robert Phinisee be the next to commit to IU.

If he is not a 6'6" player, he probably won't commit. IU's entire roster is full of 6'6" wings. Morgan, smith, Anderson, Hartman , and the other two commits. Rather weird roster.

I'm not sure IU even takes a commitment from Phinisee if Miller thinks he has a legitimate chance at landing Garland.

Sorry bud. Not part of their "fan base". Was just providing an article i found.
And I'll grant you, it was an awesome first post for you. Posting a link that "you found" in the Indy Star was fabulous. Interpreting it as an impending commitment made it even better.

And I'll grant you, it was an awesome first post for you. Posting a link that "you found" in the Indy Star was fabulous. Interpreting it as an impending commitment made it even better.

Thanks for being so welcoming to another fellow boiler fan. Especially towards someone who also bleeds gold and black. Sorry for ruining your day by providing a link to an article.

Last edited:
We're all just sick of losing. Our football team is mid major / division 2 quality . Our basketball team
Will never make it past the seeet 16 maybe ever again . I understand the frustrations to the other Purdue fans .

We're all just sick of losing. Our football team is mid major / division 2 quality . Our basketball team
Will never make it past the seeet 16 maybe ever again . I understand the frustrations to the other Purdue fans .
Our only consolation is winning B1G championships and smashing little brother so often that they fired another coach.

Why because you already know he's not coming here that's why you want him to go ask on the IU board. It ain't the fact that he's going to go somewhere else it's the fact that where he's going. If he chooses IU over Purdue and he's right here in our backyard I don't care that's a problem if you don't see that's a problem I give up on this board. I like how everybody makes light on missing out on a recruit. 2018 class about to be nothing but a handful of plan D. But you guys will spin it to being a really good class. More excuses why kids didn't come here they didn't fit the system they really wasn't that good anyway that wasn't my first choice.
I don't see it. There. Will you leave now?!

Why because you already know he's not coming here that's why you want him to go ask on the IU board. It ain't the fact that he's going to go somewhere else it's the fact that where he's going. If he chooses IU over Purdue and he's right here in our backyard I don't care that's a problem if you don't see that's a problem I give up on this board. I like how everybody makes light on missing out on a recruit. 2018 class about to be nothing but a handful of plan D. But you guys will spin it to being a really good class. More excuses why kids didn't come here they didn't fit the system they really wasn't that good anyway that wasn't my first choice.
You mean like the 2017 class that so many on here deride and was nothing but Plan D guys? That class is ranked 2 in the big. I'll be thrilled with another class that good.

Reactions: BBG and punaj
Henry wants to be a Hoosier

So did Painter at one point iirc. I don't mind the chip on the shoulder if he chooses to go to IUs rival and kick their butts for 4 years. Henry would be a very good fit and fill a very big need. If Painter offers, it is because he thinks he is a good fit.

I also wouldn't mind Henry going to IU. It would just guarantee that atleast one of the 4 wings they signed will transfer and it sets them back by ignoring actual need positions. If Purdue can land THT or Henry and one or two of the gaurd targets, I would be very pleased. Henry would be a great Boiler if he wants to be. But if he isn't all in as a boilermaker, he should pick somewhere else. Coming to Purdue means you are going to have to work hard and nothing will be just given to you.

Would love to see any combination of three of the following: Llewylln, Hunter, Henry, THT, Embery.
All of them give Purdue versatility with their size. Add them with Williams and great things should happen. THT is climbing fast and could end up top 50. Henry is climbing very fast as well. Henry, LL, and Embery bring good size and athleticism.

Phinisee would be great, but he hasn't seemed as interested in Purdue as the others. If he ends up at IU, I don't think it is the end of the world. We have a huge need a gaurd going forward. With Eastern and Carsen, it is easy to see why Painter is going after players that can play 1-3 or 2-4. Allows him to put the best players on the floor. We need to get some of these guys locked in to put pressure on the other. They got to see something special is happening up in WL. The future is very bright.

Reactions: BBG
So did Painter at one point iirc. I don't mind the chip on the shoulder if he chooses to go to IUs rival and kick their butts for 4 years. Henry would be a very good fit and fill a very big need. If Painter offers, it is because he thinks he is a good fit.

I also wouldn't mind Henry going to IU. It would just guarantee that atleast one of the 4 wings they signed will transfer and it sets them back by ignoring actual need positions. If Purdue can land THT or Henry and one or two of the gaurd targets, I would be very pleased. Henry would be a great Boiler if he wants to be. But if he isn't all in as a boilermaker, he should pick somewhere else. Coming to Purdue means you are going to have to work hard and nothing will be just given to you.

Would love to see any combination of three of the following: Llewylln, Hunter, Henry, THT, Embery.
All of them give Purdue versatility with their size. Add them with Williams and great things should happen. THT is climbing fast and could end up top 50. Henry is climbing very fast as well. Henry, LL, and Embery bring good size and athleticism.

Phinisee would be great, but he hasn't seemed as interested in Purdue as the others. If he ends up at IU, I don't think it is the end of the world. We have a huge need a gaurd going forward. With Eastern and Carsen, it is easy to see why Painter is going after players that can play 1-3 or 2-4. Allows him to put the best players on the floor. We need to get some of these guys locked in to put pressure on the other. They got to see something special is happening up in WL. The future is very bright.

There was a day I thought something special was happening here in WL. "Baby Boilers". So much so, that I feared Painter going to Mizzou. Since then, sadly, nothing actually "special" has come to light.....yet. Winning the B10G once in a while and seeing the Sweet16 just...is not special. It's just not.

There was a day I thought something special was happening here in WL. "Baby Boilers". So much so, that I feared Painter going to Mizzou. Since then, sadly, nothing actually "special" has come to light.....yet. Winning the B10G once in a while and seeing the Sweet16 just...is not special. It's just not.
Tell that to the teams that never win it, or advance to the 16.

Tell that to the teams that never win it, or advance to the 16.
I was at Purdue a few weeks ago and walked around the athletic complex. We went into one of those Purdue appeal stores next to the north end zone. My wife was looking at a clearance rack and asked me if I liked a T shirt she had. It was a Sweet Sixteen shirt they had made up. I kind of chuckled and said I am not sure if I would were it. Then she said that everything on the rack was $ .97. That told me that shirt was not a hot seller. .

But for a buck me and my son both got one. a long with a bunch of swimming and diving shirts and sweatshirts.

Last three years have been three straight trips to the NCAA tournament, with an outright Big Ten championship, 2 players in U19 USA team (Vince initial rounds), runner up national player of the year, sweet 16. Aren't many schools that can say that.

"Tell that to the teams that never win it, or advance to the 16."

"Last three years have been three straight trips to the NCAA tournament, with an outright Big Ten championship, 2 players in U19 USA team (Vince initial rounds), runner up national player of the year, sweet 16. Aren't many schools that can say that."

Guys, seriously, I get what you're saying. And, I totally respect that. We aren't the country's worst program. Not being the worst team in the nation just isn't going to cut it. There is a scoreboard for a reason. Records are kept for a reason. The fact is, nothing "special" is happening. It's just not. But, I'd sure like to see it.

"Last three years have been three straight trips to the NCAA tournament, with an outright Big Ten championship, 2 players in U19 USA team (Vince initial rounds), runner up national player of the year, sweet 16. Aren't many schools that can say that."

Guys, seriously, I get what you're saying. And, I totally respect that. We aren't the country's worst program. Not being the worst team in the nation just isn't going to cut it. There is a scoreboard for a reason. Records are kept for a reason. The fact is, nothing "special" is happening. It's just not. But, I'd sure like to see it.

I get what you are saying. You want more and your definition of special is different. Painter had the baby boilers and then Hummel's knee happened twice. He had 4 straight recruiting years that were filled with injuries, dissapointment, and transfers. Then, he had the '14 class which has been incredibly successful. Theee straight tournament appearences with a sweet 16 and an outright Big Ten championship. The '15 class gave us Biggie and Cline. The '16 class gave of Carsen. The '17 class has Eastern (who should end up an all-American) and Wheeler. The '18 class already has Williams with a good shot at adding Embery, Hunter, and Dowuana still. (THT would be an amazing pull, but right now we are on the outside). There were 2 years where Purdue was awful for various reasons, but they have made a full recovery and are back on the upside. Hummel's knee (twice) and running into Kansas (twice) kept us from 4 deep runs. I get what you are saying, but the bad luck has to stop sometime. Look at Nova and Gonzaga. We may not have been special until he tournament when it matters most, but it only takes a few breaks. Can't win it if you aren't in it.

I'm in much the same boat as you. When the Baby Boilers happened, I thought that it was a new era in Purdue basketball. Now I wasn't so nieve as to think signing 4 top-80 recruits every year would become a norm, but I did believe that our ratio of top 80 recruits to non- top 80 recruits would be fairly in the favor of the former. When I shared my belief with non-Purdue fans (especially IU or ND fans), I got the whole "it's just a flash-in-the-pan-window-of-opportunity" one-time event. I can't really remember any PU fans agreeing with that notion that it was just a one-year deal. Quite the contrary, we resented that pushback as just jealousy from the other Loosier instate fans.

Flash forward to today, I sense that the prevailing sentiment has totally shifted and expecting even just 2 top-80 recruits in a season is considered some kind of anti-Painter conspiracy or just extremely unreasonable given "that's just not who we are". It's defeatism that seems so foreign to that mood of positivity we had that magical summer of the Baby Boilers all committing.

I like that CMP bounced back so well from the crap from the time around 2013, but I feel like we're constantly spinning reality. Both pro and anti Painter folks do it...stretch or compress the timeframe of analysis to fit an agenda. Like the end of 2015 it was the anti-Painter folks that set the timeframe to the prior 4 years having 13,18,17,13 losses in those years, while the pro-Painter folks would extend the timeframe back further to include the Baby Boiler years. Now we've reversed it to now the pro-Painters compress the timeframe to just the last 3 years while the antis pull in the numbers from the post-Baby Boiler years. Im not totally in either camp, but as the years go by and no E8s or F4s occur and our recruiting has sorta settled into this "not-bad-but-not-great" zone, it's hard to not at least be inching more towards the antis. But at times it seems that even mentioning or expecting better recruiting or NCAA tournament output, you get cast as unreasonable. And again, that's not what we were saying in July 2006.

I'm in much the same boat as you. When the Baby Boilers happened, I thought that it was a new era in Purdue basketball. Now I wasn't so nieve as to think signing 4 top-80 recruits every year would become a norm, but I did believe that our ratio of top 80 recruits to non- top 80 recruits would be fairly in the favor of the former. When I shared my belief with non-Purdue fans (especially IU or ND fans), I got the whole "it's just a flash-in-the-pan-window-of-opportunity" one-time event. I can't really remember any PU fans agreeing with that notion that it was just a one-year deal. Quite the contrary, we resented that pushback as just jealousy from the other Loosier instate fans.

Flash forward to today, I sense that the prevailing sentiment has totally shifted and expecting even just 2 top-80 recruits in a season is considered some kind of anti-Painter conspiracy or just extremely unreasonable given "that's just not who we are". It's defeatism that seems so foreign to that mood of positivity we had that magical summer of the Baby Boilers all committing.

I like that CMP bounced back so well from the crap from the time around 2013, but I feel like we're constantly spinning reality. Both pro and anti Painter folks do it...stretch or compress the timeframe of analysis to fit an agenda. Like the end of 2015 it was the anti-Painter folks that set the timeframe to the prior 4 years having 13,18,17,13 losses in those years, while the pro-Painter folks would extend the timeframe back further to include the Baby Boiler years. Now we've reversed it to now the pro-Painters compress the timeframe to just the last 3 years while the antis pull in the numbers from the post-Baby Boiler years. Im not totally in either camp, but as the years go by and no E8s or F4s occur and our recruiting has sorta settled into this "not-bad-but-not-great" zone, it's hard to not at least be inching more towards the antis. But at times it seems that even mentioning or expecting better recruiting or NCAA tournament output, you get cast as unreasonable. And again, that's not what we were saying in July 2006.

Yup.

Yup.

Yup. I'm sure we will get bashed for this just because we set our sight higher than a sweet 16 once in a while.

Yup.

Yup.

Yup. I'm sure we will get bashed for this just because we set our sight higher than a sweet 16 once in a while.

There isn't a single person here who thinks a sweet 16 should be the ceiling. It is ok to acknowledge successes. A sweet 16 is a pretty big deal. Did I want Purdue to go further? Heck yes I did. But I also understood that the Kansas team we played that night played the perfect game. Purdue suffered to double overtime losses in a row. I understand the angst that causes. But there is optimism to be found. Painter has done a better job at recruiting over the last three seasons. The arrow is pointing up. I want to see how the next few years play out, but I am excited.

Purdue also has one of the longest current streaks of being ranked. You have to give credit when it is due. Painter addressed a lot of the needs in the '17 class and I expect a heck of a run this year.

Yup.

Yup.

Honestly, I'm ok with getting "bashed" as long as there is an explanation to go with it. The proverbial "you're wrong, here is why your expectations (tournament/recruiting) are unreasonable........" Again it raises that fundamental debate from 2006. Was the Baby Boiler class an aberration (as stated by anti-Purdue folk) or was it a trend in a new direction? I can't remember a single PU fan trying to throw a we blanket on those new expectations back then. I don't remember any "guys, let's enjoy this class because we're not going to see it at PU in a long time". But now, that seems to be the general sentiment. It was a just a one-off outlier that shouldn't be expected again for a while.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm ok with getting "bashed" as long as there is an explanation to go with it. The proverbial "you're wrong, here is why your expectations (tournament/recruiting) are unreasonable........" Again it raises that fundamental debate from 2006. Was the Baby Boiler class an aberration (as stated by anti-Purdue folk) or was it a trend in a new direction? I can't remember a single PU fan trying to throw a we blanket on those new expectations back then. I don't remember any "guys, let's enjoy this class because we're not going to see it at PU in a long time". But now, that seems to be the general sentiment. It was a just a one-off outlier that shouldn't be expected again for a while.

These are a couple of things I struggle with. Someone posts disappointment, and the personal attacks fly. Or, somehow if you're posting for the first couple of times it matters and renders your position irrelevant. I'm pretty sure everyone started at 1 comment. And, seriously, nobody is "anti-Purdue" just because they realize things are not special. When a new coach comes in and has the start Painter had, you must accept that it certainly looks like something special is coming. And, to actually lose that momentum, and flounder in the basement after that, is tough to use as "special". I'm looking at a complete body of work. Not cherry picking the years that fit my information bias. I'm merely stating the fact the guy had the basketball nation by the nads and blew it. We stunk for a while and that's just hard to wrap my mind around after that start. Now, are things trending up? Well, yeah. How could they not? Are they as high as the Baby Boiler Years? Uh, no. So, in reality, Painter hasn't even rebounded. He's just improved from the cellar. Now, does that mean I hope for more struggles to fit my narrative? Hell no. If I did, I wouldn't be so annoyed. I want this program to be "special". It's just not. I'm saying if Painter is special, as some here honestly think, then, he needs to deliver the goods. And, I have no problem with some folks thinking Painter is special. It's ok. I just don't think he's demonstrated it.

Purdue also has one of the longest current streaks of being ranked. You have to give credit when it is due. Painter addressed a lot of the needs in the '17 class and I expect a heck of a run this year.
I see this posted a lot but have never seen the list of teams in question so I went looking this morning. Below is an extract from the link:

MEN’S BASKETBALL POLL STREAK

The current streak of consecutive polls for teams ranked in The Associated Press’ poll. The record is 221 consecutive polls by UCLA from 1966-80. Through 2016-17 preseason poll.

Kansas 143 (began Feb. 3, 2009)

Arizona 79

Iowa State 57

Villanova 55

Virginia 46

North Carolina 43

Kentucky 39

Maryland 36

Michigan State 21

Purdue 20

Note: I cut it off at Purdue. You can see the full list in the link. But I posted this only because this consecutive streak gets mentioned a lot. It's nice, but 20 weeks is like a season and a half. It's a positive, don't get me wrong, but it gets brought up far too often for something that's compressed into only the last 1.5 years. I don't necessarily think that qualifies as some great trend to hang one's hat on. And even if it did, if Purdue isn't ranked in week 1 of the coming year, the streak is back to 0. Is Painter any worse of a coach - or Purdue any less of a program - if that happens? KU fans can boast. Arizona too. Others, I don't know.
http://cjonline.com/sports-hawkzone...ations-longest-consecutive-ap-poll-streak-143

Last edited:
Reactions: Dryfly88
I see this posted a lot but have never seen the list of teams in question so I went looking this morning. Below is an extract from the link:

MEN’S BASKETBALL POLL STREAK

The current streak of consecutive polls for teams ranked in The Associated Press’ poll. The record is 221 consecutive polls by UCLA from 1966-80. Through 2016-17 preseason poll.

Kansas 143 (began Feb. 3, 2009)

Arizona 79

Iowa State 57

Villanova 55

Virginia 46

North Carolina 43

Kentucky 39

Maryland 36

Michigan State 21

Purdue 20

Note: I cut it off at Purdue. You can see the full list in the link. But I posted this only because this consecutive streak gets mentioned a lot. It's nice, but 20 weeks is like a season and a half. It's a positive, don't get me wrong, but it gets brought up far too often for something that's compressed into only the last 1.5 years. I don't necessarily think that qualifies as some great trend to hang one's hat on. And even if it did, if Purdue isn't ranked in week 1 of the coming year, the streak is back to 0. Is Painter any worse of a coach - or Purdue any less of a program - if that happens? KU fans can boast. Arizona too. Others, I don't know.

Your link is outdated. Here is the list entering our Sweet Sixteen game. Notice Iowa State, MSU and Maryland fell off of it last year.

MOST CONSECUTIVE WEEKS BEING RANKED (AP POLL)
No. Team Dates
161 Kansas Feb. 2, 2009 to present
97 Arizona Preseason 2012 to present
73 Villanova Dec. 2, 2013 to present
64 Virginia Feb. 3, 2014 to present
61 North Carolina Feb. 24, 2014 to present
58 Kentucky Oct. 31, 2014 to present
38 Purdue Preseason 2015 to present
35 Louisville Nov. 30, 2015 to present
35 West Virginia Nov. 30, 2015 to present

Reactions: Roeder
Your link is outdated. Here is the list entering our Sweet Sixteen game. Notice Iowa State, MSU and Maryland fell off of it last year.

MOST CONSECUTIVE WEEKS BEING RANKED (AP POLL)
No. Team Dates

161 Kansas Feb. 2, 2009 to present
97 Arizona Preseason 2012 to present
73 Villanova Dec. 2, 2013 to present
64 Virginia Feb. 3, 2014 to present
61 North Carolina Feb. 24, 2014 to present
58 Kentucky Oct. 31, 2014 to present
38 Purdue Preseason 2015 to present
35 Louisville Nov. 30, 2015 to present
35 West Virginia Nov. 30, 2015 to present
Thanks. I misread and thought it said "through 2016-2017 season" not "preseason". My larger point remains though. It's 2 seasons. It's nice. It's not grand or excessive. A lot of teams have surely accomplished being ranked for 2 straight years. I mean, West Virginia is almost there. If Purdue isn't ranked week 1 of this season, and they drop off this list, is that a big deal? Is the program worse off? No on both. Unless you're the leader of something like this - or darn close - it seems like a silly thing to plug. Is this something you think recruits really get sold on? I hope CMP isn't running around HS gyms talking about this.

Last edited:
Thanks. I misread and thought it said "through 2016-2017 season" not "preseason". My larger point remains though. It's 2 seasons. It's nice. It's not grand or excessive. A lot of teams have surely accomplished being ranked for 2 straight years. I mean, West Virginia is almost there. If Purdue isn't ranked week 1 of this season, and they drop off this list, is that a big deal? Is the program worse off? No on both. Unless you're the leader of something like this - or darn close - it seems like a silly thing to plug. Is this something you think recruits really get sold on? I hope CMP is running around HS gyms talking about this.
I obviously think it's a bigger deal than you do. If it were easy, Purdue wouldn't have the 7th longest streak.

I obviously think it's a bigger deal than you do. If it were easy, Purdue wouldn't have the 7th longest streak.
I didn't say it was easy. To be ranked for 2 straight seasons is an accomplishment. It seems we just differ on how big of an accomplishment it is. To be clear, I don't think the accomplishment itself is insignificant, I think it's impact on recruiting and/or program prestige is though. I don't believe it's terribly uncommon for programs to put together a streak of the magnitude that Purdue is at today (and I think this would be proven if we had a listing of all the longest streaks regardless of their active/expired status, which I do not have).

I didn't say it was easy. To be ranked for 2 straight seasons is an accomplishment. It seems we just differ on how big of an accomplishment it is. To be clear, I don't think the accomplishment itself is insignificant, I think it's impact on recruiting and/or program prestige is though. I don't believe it's terribly uncommon for programs to put together a streak of the magnitude that Purdue is at today (and I think this would be proven if we had a listing of all the longest streaks regardless of their active/expired status, which I do not have).
Understood. I have always felt it was important to be ranked because then you end up having highlights on ESPN, but ESPN isn't what it used to be.

I'll add one thing. The current streak is the 2nd longest in Purdue history, behind only the Baby Boilers group. Of course, part of that reason is because idiot pollsters continually underestimated Gene Keady's ability to get the most out of his players in the preseason.

I get what you are saying. You want more and your definition of special is different. Painter had the baby boilers and then Hummel's knee happened twice. He had 4 straight recruiting years that were filled with injuries, dissapointment, and transfers. Then, he had the '14 class which has been incredibly successful. Theee straight tournament appearences with a sweet 16 and an outright Big Ten championship. The '15 class gave us Biggie and Cline. The '16 class gave of Carsen. The '17 class has Eastern (who should end up an all-American) and Wheeler. The '18 class already has Williams with a good shot at adding Embery, Hunter, and Dowuana still. (THT would be an amazing pull, but right now we are on the outside). There were 2 years where Purdue was awful for various reasons, but they have made a full recovery and are back on the upside. Hummel's knee (twice) and running into Kansas (twice) kept us from 4 deep runs. I get what you are saying, but the bad luck has to stop sometime. Look at Nova and Gonzaga. We may not have been special until he tournament when it matters most, but it only takes a few breaks. Can't win it if you aren't in it.
This. I think folks are losing sight of the fact that we very well may have the 4 best consecutive recruiting classes on campus this fall in decades. And if he brings in a stout '18 class - which is still very possible - we are very much moving into something "special".

Reactions: BBG
These are a couple of things I struggle with. Someone posts disappointment, and the personal attacks fly. Or, somehow if you're posting for the first couple of times it matters and renders your position irrelevant. I'm pretty sure everyone started at 1 comment. And, seriously, nobody is "anti-Purdue" just because they realize things are not special. When a new coach comes in and has the start Painter had, you must accept that it certainly looks like something special is coming. And, to actually lose that momentum, and flounder in the basement after that, is tough to use as "special". I'm looking at a complete body of work. Not cherry picking the years that fit my information bias. I'm merely stating the fact the guy had the basketball nation by the nads and blew it. We stunk for a while and that's just hard to wrap my mind around after that start. Now, are things trending up? Well, yeah. How could they not? Are they as high as the Baby Boiler Years? Uh, no. So, in reality, Painter hasn't even rebounded. He's just improved from the cellar. Now, does that mean I hope for more struggles to fit my narrative? Hell no. If I did, I wouldn't be so annoyed. I want this program to be "special". It's just not. I'm saying if Painter is special, as some here honestly think, then, he needs to deliver the goods. And, I have no problem with some folks thinking Painter is special. It's ok. I just don't think he's demonstrated it.
In case you haven't picked-up on this red flag, a new poster with a post count of 1 or 2, who brags about how great IU is going to be... Well, that's a clue that some troll has taken out a new ID on this board to screw with us. Be a little more cognizant of these traps. They may or may not anti-Purdue. Doesn't matter since they really are just on here for their entertainment.

I get what you're saying. the thing is , we are all very proud of Purdue and it's basketball accomplishments. there is not one poster on this board (who isn't a troll from IU) who is not proud of purdue's basketball success. And we know how many other schools would love to say the same thing. But most of them have a football team they can brag about.

and we all have our Purdue Tshirts that proudly say we're BIG 10 champs. But here's the thing. I want that $60 nylon golf shirt in black with gold stripes that says something different that starts with the letters NCAA Ch....... I already have plenty of those other t-shirts.

TSo, in reality, Painter hasn't even rebounded. He's just improved from the cellar.
That isn't even remotely accurate. Reality is Painter has 'rebounded' and more from the small time comparatively that things were in the cellar.

I also add this because regardless it is an astounding accomplishment and shows things are most certainly not nearly as dire as some would like us to believe:

20525620_1434982543249322_7609181897198320269_n.jpg

Last edited:
That isn't even remotely accurate. Reality is Painter has 'rebounded' and more from the small time comparatively that things were in the cellar.

I also add this because regardless it is an astounding accomplishment and shows things are most certainly not nearly as dire as some would like us to believe:

That's a nice chart. I doubt anybody here believes we're in dire straights. We just can't wait another 20 years for that championship and Painter to reach the top 5! I didn't realize Izzo was that old. It's Time for him to retire!

That's a nice chart. I doubt anybody here believes we're in dire straights. We just can't wait another 20 years for that championship and Painter to reach the top 5! I didn't realize Izzo was that old. It's Time for him to retire!

Didn't realize it until I looked twice; CMP is the youngest on that list.

Didn't realize it until I looked twice; CMP is the youngest on that list.
I just now noticed that too since you mentioned it. Makes the accomplishment even more impressive.

Only way you make a Final Four is to get to the dance in the first place and by getting there as much as CMP does, the chances are that he'll make a deep run sooner rather than later.

Yep, things are most certainly trending up and trending up from an already good place.

To add some info to this, below are the age at which each of the coach on the above list reached their first Final Four:

Coach K - 41
Boeheim - 43
Roy Williams - 43
Huggins - 39
Rick Barnes - 48
Rick Pitino - 41
Izzo - 44
Self - 46
Mark Few - 54
Calipari - 52 (I don't count Mass or Memphis)
Tubby - 47
Kruger - 42
Dunphy - Never
Wright - 55
Brey - Never
Marshall - 50
Altman - 59
Beilein - 60
Painter - Never
Sean Miller - Never
Jamie Dixon - Never
Steve Alford - Never