ADVERTISEMENT

Will Robert Phinisee be the next to commit to IU.

That isn't even remotely accurate. Reality is Painter has 'rebounded' and more from the small time comparatively that things were in the cellar.

I also add this because regardless it is an astounding accomplishment and shows things are most certainly not nearly as dire as some would like us to believe:

20525620_1434982543249322_7609181897198320269_n.jpg
The interesting tertiary info is that the B'ball world will be without some really big names in 5 years. I didn't realize Coach K, Huggins, Pitino, and Beilein were their ages. Sure, they can all coach more than another 5 years, but I doubt many of them do. For a variety of reasons.

The interesting tertiary info is that the B'ball world will be without some really big names in 5 years. I didn't realize Coach K, Huggins, Pitino, and Beilein were their ages. Sure, they can all coach more than another 5 years, but I doubt many of them do. For a variety of reasons.

painter is now the 2nd longest tenured coach in the conference also.

that stability should bode well in the next few years as you say

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Here's another way to look at the excellent chart shared by BoiledSteel above. Extra column added to indicate the percentage of years coached which resulted in an NCAA appearance. Sorting the list by that percentage indicates that Coach Matt Painter has been pretty successful compared to his (older) peers with 10 of 13 or about 77% of his teams making the big dance.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Here's another way to look at the excellent chart shared by BoiledSteel above. Extra column added to indicate the percentage of years coached which resulted in an NCAA appearance. Sorting the list by that percentage indicates that Coach Matt Painter has been pretty successful compared to his (older) peers with 10 of 13 or about 77% of his teams making the big dance.

Capture.JPG
lol this should be posted every time someone says we should fire him.

Capture.JPG
Great addition. It's funny how facts and data tell the real story and not overly exaggerated emotional tirades.

So by all of this, in order to make a change and do better than CMP, we'd have to get the coaches of some rather elite schools to want to come here.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
The question is....With Matt's record and experience and relative young age, would enough money lure him one of those "special" institutions in the near future?
While his coaching record is fine, those schools will be looking for a coach that has a better track record in recruiting.

Reactions: DG10
While his coaching record is fine, those schools will be looking for a coach that has a better track record in recruiting.
Other than a streak of signing quitters and cry babies, his recruiting has been fine. I'd guess it's a lot easier to recruit to UNC, Duke, or USC than to Purdue.

Matt Painter has done as good a job as anyone could do at West LaFayette.

Reactions: Roeder
Other than a streak of signing quitters and cry babies, his recruiting has been fine. I'd guess it's a lot easier to recruit to UNC, Duke, or USC than to Purdue.

His recruiting has been fine for Purdue. Do you think the blue blood fans would accept the same level of recruiting at their school? To answer your original question simply, there is no reason to fear one of the blue bloods poaching Painter when their HOF coaches retire. Unless, Painter is able to get us to a Final Four in that time.

Reactions: DG10 and Misfit1
His recruiting has been fine for Purdue. Do you think the blue blood fans would accept the same level of recruiting at their school? To answer your original question simply, there is no reason to fear one of the blue bloods poaching Painter when their HOF coaches retire. Unless, Painter is able to get us to a Final Four in that time.
Purdue is not a blue blood. Never has been. Location, location, location. Walk into the basketball facilities at UNC, look directly at that sky blue paint, and then realize what part of the USA you're in and who you gonna' choose if you're a stud athlete? Painter has done a tremendous job to get the folks he's signed.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
Purdue is not a blue blood. Never has been. Location, location, location. Walk into the basketball facilities at UNC, look directly at that sky blue paint, and then realize what part of the USA you're in and who you gonna' choose if you're a stud athlete? Painter has done a tremendous job to get the folks he's signed.
I didn't say Purdue was a blue blood. I said the exact opposite actually. UNC won't hire a coach like Painter. You have no worries of him leaving for a big time program. It would be more likely he leaves for a program on the level of Missouri (Obviously not Missouri, because they have Martin now). Sean Miller, Chris Collins, Tony Bennett will be the types of coaches the blue bloods go after. They might even poach NBA coaches.

This is the age old chicken or egg scenario. Do you require an elite recruiter to recruit to a blueblood or does the fact that they are the blueblood elevate a good recruiter to elite? Just looking at what Tom Crean was able to draw to IU is certainly evidence of the latter (and IU isn't a true blueblood anymore IMO).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
This is the age old chicken or egg scenario. Do you require an elite recruiter to recruit to a blueblood or does the fact that they are the blueblood elevate a good recruiter to elite? Just looking at what Tom Crean was able to draw to IU is certainly evidence of the latter (and IU isn't a true blueblood anymore IMO).
I think it's a bit of both, but I agree that it's more the blueblood recruits itself. I don't believe there is any risk of Painter being pursued by a blueblood school, however.

You probably would have said the same about Keady. Yet, Kentucky was interested.

lol this should be posted every time someone says we should fire him.
It also illustrates the fan division. Some enjoy the competitive performances throughout the season year in and year out while others are only interested in the championship and would gladly be out of the tournament 19 out of 20 years if that one year was a title.
I suppose no one is right or wrong either way, but, well, no that can't be...I'm right.

To be honest I had no idea what you were referring to, so I assumed UK was the one who backed out.
Keady was a hot commodity for a while. He had serious interest from UK, Arizona State, SMU, and others. Sometimes I felt that he didn't shut down the discussion soon enough. I wondered if recruits were worried that he wouldn't be at Purdue their entire 4 years.

Really surprised you would say that. If Calipari came here, I would imagine he would get better recruits.

as far as recruiting goes, Painter signed Martin , Scott, Smotherton, Stephens, and the Johnsons, who were all highly coveted high school players. If they had stayed and lived up to their hype, Painter may have enjoyed even more success.

I can't fault Painter for his recruiting. Sure, I'd like it to be better, but it's a lot better than the vast majority of other schools.

The location excuse is BS. Otherwise, Miami would have the top recruiting class every year.
There's a bunch of really good programs in less than ideal locations. East Lansing, Syracuse, Uconn, KU, etc.

The location excuse is BS. .
Oy not this again. It's been proven time and time again that location does have an impact. It's not the factor but it most certainly is part of the decision whether you want to admit it or not.

Your problem is you assume that location means best place on the planet when location to a recruit could simply mean the school is too far away, not in proximity to something or is too close in proximity to something. The list goes on and on.

Stop thinking in a vacuum, things are not that static.

Location is a factor, but not the primary factor. Notre Dame and Purdue have very similar communities. My wife is my source as she lived in both. For the most part, Purdue gains the better basketball recruits, and Notre Dame gains the better football recruits. UW Madison and UW Milwaukee are 45 miles apart. Which school attracts the best players? in North Carolina, UNC, Wake Forest, UNC Charlotte, Duke and NC State are all within 100 miles. Admittedly, NC state is a little father away, but it's within 2 hours driving time of the rest. Where do the best players go? Looking back, Lew Alcindor was a very heavily recruited high school player as was Bill Walton. Lew chose UCLA over playing in New York. I don't know why. I do know Walton chose UCLA because of their coach and their success. I have to believe Wilt Chamberlain was also a highly recruited athlete. Why he chose Kansas is a mystery.

A lot of football players have chosen Notre Dame over Miami and USC. I lived in Alabama and Georgia. for personal reasons, I would never want my son attending either university.

Location is a factor, but not the primary factor.

Notre Dame and Purdue have very similar communities. My wife is my source as she lived in both.
No offense to your wife, but I heavily disagree with this statement. My source is me living in South Bend for over 20 years and of course WL.

There is a very distinct difference between the two cities based on SB being so close to Chicago and full of arrogant ND alumns (both subway and actual). I won't even get started on the stigma of Western out by Washington High School or the other gang areas (source: Friend is a cop there) that make SB nothing like WL to be honest.

This topic has been beaten to the ground IMO anyway and a bunch of old forum posters like us trying to figure out why a recruit does or doesn't pick a school is an effort in insanity. :)

I have no doubt that today's recruiting in the Information Age is eons different than when we were at Purdue and probably a million times more difficult. I would wager that 90% of the games played across the country can be viewed on some form of media (streaming, facebook, twitch, cable, carry pigeon, etc) thus making picking a school for that reason not as important.

To me the main priority is playing time. ANY school can get someone in to the NBA if that player gets the minutes they want and are good enough to earn a try out. That makes picking certain schools just for that reason less of an importance since in theory, someone from IPFW has a shot to get to the NBA (albeit slim) or overseas. Now I think that the "studs" will continue to pick the blue bloods more times than not still, but for Purdue we should have a stable environment and a staff that can show they can put people in the NBA consistently and the recruits will come. Think of it as not just saying that you can do that, you have to PROVE you can as well and Painter is well on his way to doing that IMO.

No offense to your wife, but I heavily disagree with this statement. My source is me living in South Bend for over 20 years and of course WL.

There is a very distinct difference between the two cities based on SB being so close to Chicago and full of arrogant ND alumns (both subway and actual). I won't even get started on the stigma of Western out by Washington High School or the other gang areas (source: Friend is a cop there) that make SB nothing like WL to be honest.

This topic has been beaten to the ground IMO anyway and a bunch of old forum posters like us trying to figure out why a recruit does or doesn't pick a school is an effort in insanity. :)

I have no doubt that today's recruiting in the Information Age is eons different than when we were at Purdue and probably a million times more difficult. I would wager that 90% of the games played across the country can be viewed on some form of media (streaming, facebook, twitch, cable, carry pigeon, etc) thus making picking a school for that reason not as important.

To me the main priority is playing time. ANY school can get someone in to the NBA if that player gets the minutes they want and are good enough to earn a try out. That makes picking certain schools just for that reason less of an importance since in theory, someone from IPFW has a shot to get to the NBA (albeit slim) or overseas. Now I think that the "studs" will continue to pick the blue bloods more times than not still, but for Purdue we should have a stable environment and a staff that can show they can put people in the NBA consistently and the recruits will come. Think of it as not just saying that you can do that, you have to PROVE you can as well and Painter is well on his way to doing that IMO.

You didn't say which you preferred - WL or South Bend ?

I'm thinking of Carmody. I doubt location had anything to do with his decision to attend Notre Dame.

I have to believe playing time is a huge factor especially for the elite players. No player hoping to be a one and done wants to go to a school that already has the team's star player at the position he wants to play. Out local 4* TE has an offer from Alabama, but he is leaning to a school where he is promised(sort of promised) he can start as a sophomore. he may go to a lesser school just for the opportunity to play.

But if Duke or Uk call, playing time is not as big of a factor.

I have to believe playing time and position were what sold Swanigan on Purdue. I had read rumors MSU was suggesting playing him at center, and Purdue said he could start at PF. Admittedly, he played a lot of center at Purdue. But when making his decision, he saw an opening at PF at Purdue and Hammons and has at center.

I love Madison WI, as do 40,000 other students each year. Bloomington is a nice town as is Champaign. What I can't understand is people who want to go to Iowa or ISU

to each their own.

You didn't say which you preferred - WL or South Bend ?

I'm thinking of Carmody. I doubt location had anything to do with his decision to attend Notre Dame.

I have to believe playing time is a huge factor especially for the elite players. No player hoping to be a one and done wants to go to a school that already has the team's star player at the position he wants to play. Out local 4* TE has an offer from Alabama, but he is leaning to a school where he is promised(sort of promised) he can start as a sophomore. he may go to a lesser school just for the opportunity to play.

But if Duke or Uk call, playing time is not as big of a factor.

I have to believe playing time and position were what sold Swanigan on Purdue. I had read rumors MSU was suggesting playing him at center, and Purdue said he could start at PF. Admittedly, he played a lot of center at Purdue. But when making his decision, he saw an opening at PF at Purdue and Hammons and has at center.

I love Madison WI, as do 40,000 other students each year. Bloomington is a nice town as is Champaign. What I can't understand is people who want to go to Iowa or ISU

to each their own.
I can't stand SB and was glad to move away from there. And honestly to me WL is kinda boring (Don't hit me! :) ). But then again i have traveled the world for what I do, so I have a very different take on that sort of thing.

Like i said, we old farts are trying to come up with why a kid chooses one school over another and for all we know, it could be something mundane that sways them one way or another.

Anyway back on topic, would like to see Robert at Purdue but the world won't end if he doesn't.

we were sorta on target. phinisee is from WL, and we both said WL >>>>>> South bend. For me, that's as close to the subject as I get.

I'm in much the same boat as you. When the Baby Boilers happened, I thought that it was a new era in Purdue basketball. Now I wasn't so nieve as to think signing 4 top-80 recruits every year would become a norm, but I did believe that our ratio of top 80 recruits to non- top 80 recruits would be fairly in the favor of the former. When I shared my belief with non-Purdue fans (especially IU or ND fans), I got the whole "it's just a flash-in-the-pan-window-of-opportunity" one-time event. I can't really remember any PU fans agreeing with that notion that it was just a one-year deal. Quite the contrary, we resented that pushback as just jealousy from the other Loosier instate fans.

Flash forward to today, I sense that the prevailing sentiment has totally shifted and expecting even just 2 top-80 recruits in a season is considered some kind of anti-Painter conspiracy or just extremely unreasonable given "that's just not who we are". It's defeatism that seems so foreign to that mood of positivity we had that magical summer of the Baby Boilers all committing.

I like that CMP bounced back so well from the crap from the time around 2013, but I feel like we're constantly spinning reality. Both pro and anti Painter folks do it...stretch or compress the timeframe of analysis to fit an agenda. Like the end of 2015 it was the anti-Painter folks that set the timeframe to the prior 4 years having 13,18,17,13 losses in those years, while the pro-Painter folks would extend the timeframe back further to include the Baby Boiler years. Now we've reversed it to now the pro-Painters compress the timeframe to just the last 3 years while the antis pull in the numbers from the post-Baby Boiler years. Im not totally in either camp, but as the years go by and no E8s or F4s occur and our recruiting has sorta settled into this "not-bad-but-not-great" zone, it's hard to not at least be inching more towards the antis. But at times it seems that even mentioning or expecting better recruiting or NCAA tournament output, you get cast as unreasonable. And again, that's not what we were saying in July 2006.
No matter the opinion, I think it is fair to judge Matt on his coaching the entire time he has been at Purdue, but that doesn't equate strictly on wins and losss. 1) Judge him in what he did and what he didn't do with the strengths and weaknesses of the players he had. 2) Second I think it is fair to judge him on recruiting after the budget increases. Whatever the opinion that would be the scope of the determination for me

Reactions: Dakota Girl and BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT