ADVERTISEMENT

Will Robert Phinisee be the next to commit to IU.

What do you think?

Don't know and don't care. I want Embery, E Hunter,
What do you think?

Don't know and honestly don't care. People will get bent if a kid in our backyard signs elsewhere, but so be it. He's a dime a dozen. I want K-Embery, E-Hunter, A-Henry, T-Williams, Dowouna.

Isaiah Thompson is our 4 year PG, but he's in class of 2019!

Why because you already know he's not coming here that's why you want him to go ask on the IU board. It ain't the fact that he's going to go somewhere else it's the fact that where he's going. If he chooses IU over Purdue and he's right here in our backyard I don't care that's a problem if you don't see that's a problem I give up on this board. I like how everybody makes light on missing out on a recruit. 2018 class about to be nothing but a handful of plan D. But you guys will spin it to being a really good class. More excuses why kids didn't come here they didn't fit the system they really wasn't that good anyway that wasn't my first choice.

Reactions: Lucy01
We are missing out on kids right here in this state that we recruited longer than IU and they're getting them and we're not not a problem though there's a kid from Wyoming that's really looking good if we could just beat out Valparaiso for him we will be fine.lol

We are missing out on kids right here in this state that we recruited longer than IU and they're getting them and we're not not a problem though there's a kid from Wyoming that's really looking good if we could just beat out Valparaiso for him we will be fine.lol
Give it a rest already! I have seen no indication of Painter pressing this kid at all. I think he felt like he had to offer due to his location.

So now we're supposed to be sweating the possibility of losing a 3-star guy to IU?? What happened to the days where IU fans were boasting about how they were a blue blood and could sign burger boys like the other blue bloods? Sign Phinisee and this IU class is going to look like a typical Painter class. Meanwhile Painter will move on to a similar player who may or may not end up better than this kid. Excuse me if this doesn't shake my foundation.

Why because you already know he's not coming here that's why you want him to go ask on the IU board. It ain't the fact that he's going to go somewhere else it's the fact that where he's going. If he chooses IU over Purdue and he's right here in our backyard I don't care that's a problem if you don't see that's a problem I give up on this board. I like how everybody makes light on missing out on a recruit. 2018 class about to be nothing but a handful of plan D. But you guys will spin it to being a really good class. More excuses why kids didn't come here they didn't fit the system they really wasn't that good anyway that wasn't my first choice.
Whoa! Hold on there B-Man1973. This guy is a 5'11" 3-star PG. Yes, he plays in WL. Yes, he might be pretty good, ranked as a 3-star. You will note that he has been dropping in ranking, right? Maybe he was just a flash in the pan, and will not fare well against better competition. In fact, I question whether he plays at the level of a BIG starter - maybe better suited as a bench guy.

Can he get taller? Nope. Can he get better than a 3-star? Maybe. As for me, I would go for a taller, more highly rated PG. Let's see where some of these other recruits shake out before any more hand wringing. Of course, you don't really care because you are actually trolling this board. I would probably guess you are lacking better things to do. That says much about you.

Reactions: Heller
Kids will go where kids go. It's their choice, based on any number of personal factors, and not necessarily grounds for condemning the coaches who didn't land him.

MSU saw hometown kid Brandon Johns sign with rival U-M, last month, then days later signed Marcus Bingham. who may have a better upside than Johns, from Grand Rapids. We picked up Trevion Williams (from Sterling Heights, also Michigan) days later.

Fire Izzo, Beilein AND Painter! That's chat board logic.

Phinisee is a talent. But if a 5-11 3-star chooses a non-hometown program from the universe available, fine. And so what?

Kids will go where kids go. It's their choice, based on any number of personal factors, and not necessarily grounds for condemning the coaches who didn't land him.

MSU saw hometown kid Brandon Johns sign with rival U-M, last month, then days later signed Marcus Bingham. who may have a better upside than Johns, from Grand Rapids. We picked up Trevion Williams (from Sterling Heights, also Michigan) days later.

Fire Izzo, Beilein AND Painter! That's chat board logic.

Phinisee is a talent. But if a 5-11 3-star chooses a non-hometown program from the universe available, fine. And so what?
I do not disagree with your general assessment that kids will go where kids go...but, it sure seems like a lot of kids go to the perceived premier programs and that Purdue is not perceived as such unfortunately, particularly within the state.

Whether he misses on the hometown kid or not (and, it is a story if he misses on the hometown kid who instead ends up at the rival in-state school), the bigger issue is missing out repeatedly on the national-level elite in-state talent...particularly if to the rival in-state school who has had the same issue to an extent in recent years at least, and, given the circumstances such as those that surrounded Anderson.

Outside of the aforementioned class of Hummel, Johnson, Martin and Moore that was the result of a genuine perfect storm of circumstances, who was the last (other?) premier in-state national-level elite recruit that Painter/Purdue was able to simply offer and get a commitment from almost immediately, as was the case with Miller/IU and Anderson?

What do you think?
IU has been offering more PGs lately, so I don't think they are sold on him as solidly as some think. I've seen him a handful of times and I don't see more than a Mid-Major player, but that's just my opinion. I really don't think he ends up at IU. AM was a PG and he knows the kind he wants. He's watched RP a lot and it would appear to me that IU/AM is going to look in other directions.

On May 8, Gold and Black clarified that Robert remained a priority for the Purdue staff. Things may have changed in just the 2 months since then, but I doubt Robert's ability and skills would be the things that have worsened in that short time.

One day I read where it is fantastic that Coach Painter landed 5'11" Carsen Edwards, who was "only" a 3 star at the time in each major recruiting service. I imagine 99.9% of our fans are pleased to have him today.

Now I read that 5'11" Robert is also "only" a 3 star, bound for un-greatness due to his size and lack of projected rating.

I trust the coaching staff's evaluation of these kids much more than the keyboard coaches. Think about how much more details and knowledge they have about these kids in addition to only their height, weight, and what a recruiting service thinks. They were correct about offering Carsen, so I am inclined to think they can be correct again.

So now we're supposed to be sweating the possibility of losing a 3-star guy to IU?? What happened to the days where IU fans were boasting about how they were a blue blood and could sign burger boys like the other blue bloods? Sign Phinisee and this IU class is going to look like a typical Painter class. Meanwhile Painter will move on to a similar player who may or may not end up better than this kid. Excuse me if this doesn't shake my foundation.
Yes. As much as I like PJ, I think that bigger players make more sense in Painter's positionless offense. It appears that Painter is prioritizing combo guards that can play multiple positions, including Embery, Hunter, and Butler. I tend to forget about Phinesse because I see little indication that he is a prime target.

On May 8, Gold and Black clarified that Robert remained a priority for the Purdue staff. Things may have changed in just the 2 months since then, but I doubt Robert's ability and skills would be the things that have worsened in that short time.

One day I read where it is fantastic that Coach Painter landed 5'11" Carsen Edwards, who was "only" a 3 star at the time in each major recruiting service. I imagine 99.9% of our fans are pleased to have him today.

Now I read that 5'11" Robert is also "only" a 3 star, bound for un-greatness due to his size and lack of projected rating.

I trust the coaching staff's evaluation of these kids much more than the keyboard coaches. Think about how much more details and knowledge they have about these kids in addition to only their height, weight, and what a recruiting service thinks. They were correct about offering Carsen, so I am inclined to think they can be correct again.
On a side note- When Carsen was measured during his time with USA basketball he came in at 6' 1 1/2" with shoes on and has a wing span of 6'5". I was a little surprised by his wing span.

I think that Carsen came as a great value for Purdue because he's a 2 guard in a point guard's body, but a really good fit for what Painter needed.

Yes. As much as I like PJ, I think that bigger players make more sense in Painter's positionless offense. It appears that Painter is prioritizing combo guards that can play multiple positions, including Embery, Hunter, and Butler. I tend to forget about Phinesse because I see little indication that he is a prime target.
I prefer Llewellyn over Phinesse.

What is a priority? Wouldn't anyone with a Purdue offer be considered a priority? If so, yes he has an offer, obviously. Then there are the recruits right on the fringe of getting an offer. Those could quickly become priorities as well. It's not exactly as exclusive of a term as it sounds. Point is, no one is ripping Phinisee or saying Purdue doesn't want him. Yes he is "a priority", which doesn't mean he is a can't miss recruit. Context: everything in this thread is in response to the OP and what it would mean if IU landed RP. The net effect would be little for Purdue - Painter would move on to the next "priority" 3-star point guard, and for IU it would mean now 6 years and counting since they signed an elite PG.

Edit: Just saw the headline article on this site "Virginia point guard is a 2018 priority". LOL this might be my new favorite word.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoiledSteel
Everyone forgets Robert's brother attends Purdue and is in Fiji. Those two are close and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he went to Purdue.

When are you going to end your posts with "Lolololololololololololol"???

Reactions: cjf04 and Roeder
Two phrases I'm getting tired of reading: "we're still in the mix" and 'we're making him a top priority".

both phrases give FALSE hope to readers of this forum. And neither phrase comes from Painter or his coaching staff. if you are going to post inside info, make it truthful. I'm tired of all these stories of recruits who mention Purdue once but have really no intention of coming here - like McCoy. Just report the commitment/signing.

I also wonder why there is so much news about other programs on our home page that aren't even related to Purdue. . Don't those schools have their own Rivals site to brag about themselves?

What is a priority? Wouldn't anyone with a Purdue offer be considered a priority? If so, yes he has an offer, obviously. Then there are the recruits right on the fringe of getting an offer. Those could quickly become priorities as well. It's not exactly as exclusive of a term as it sounds. Point is, no one is ripping Phinisee or saying Purdue doesn't want him. Yes he is "a priority", which doesn't mean he is a can't miss recruit. Context: everything in this thread is in response to the OP and what it would mean if IU landed RP. The net effect would be little for Purdue - Painter would move on to the next "priority" 3-star point guard, and for IU it would mean now 6 years and counting since they signed an elite PG.

Edit: Just saw the headline article on this site "Virginia point guard is a 2018 priority". LOL this might be my new favorite word.
LOL, very true. I agree and priorities can change. But I am under the assumption his offer is still valid, they still like what they see, and he could commit at any time.

Maybe Gold and Black can add a glossary to the site for "priority" clarification!

You make a fair point. Since I was one of those discounting RP because of his size, let me explain. I watched some tall Kansas guards shoot over the top of our shorter guards. I didn't like the outcome, so I am pitching for much taller guards. Eastern's size is what I want. I won't break my keyboard typing "hoorah!" if we get RP, and I won't break it he decides to go to IU, or where ever. From what I can tell at the distance, he seems like a great kid and a good player. I would like it if he choose Purdue, but I see no deep tragedy if he decids to go somewhere else.

Will he get squeezed between '17 Eastern and '19 Johnson? Maybe, right? I don't see a PG as a priority this year. I think we need a backup PF/C to Haarms & Wheeler more than anything, and we may just have recruited a good one in Trevion Williams.

do people just pull out their posts from previous years at this time and regurgitate them? we arent going to land every prospect we offer, no one does. we will end up with quality recruits like we did last year when a lot of folks were ready to jump off the cliff. calm down and enjoy the summer

Last edited:
That would have been a fabulous 14th post for you on this board had it been coherent.

Reactions: BBG
What happened to the days where IU fans were boasting about how they were a blue blood and could sign burger boys like the other blue bloods?

WTF are you talking about, FDB?! IU, as a school , is FULL of "burger boys" (AND "burger girls" for that matter)!

By the way, did you see IU's NEW mascot?

big-boy-statue.jpg

"Would you like FRIES with this order?"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT