ADVERTISEMENT

US Stock markets surge to new highs.....

Awesome. Glad I'm not the only one who's a chart watcher.
BLDP humming today, up over 12%. Lovin it!
I'll probably put in a trailing stop loss order to lock in those profits.

70, check out what NK ( NantKwest) did today. I bought it about 2-3 weeks ago.

Reactions: 70boiler
I saw that. I had it on my list, watched for quite awhile and then sat and forgot to pull the trigger about 3 weeks ago. Just texted my granddaughter making fun of my dumbass self.
I have been happy with Beyond Meat though, today.

Reactions: bonefish1
I saw that. I had it on my list, watched for quite awhile and then sat and forgot to pull the trigger about 3 weeks ago. Just texted my granddaughter making fun of my dumbass self.
I have been happy with Beyond Meat though, today.
That and Tesla are beyond belief.

That and Tesla are beyond belief.

Saw a statistic that only something like 52% of Americans are invested in the market? THAT is unbelievable (Seinfeld episode "THAT is outrageous").
This is why they need to be teaching about finance, the economy, the stock market, etc starting in about 8th grade and continuing through high school. If 50% of Americans never learned that the stock market is the best possible place to stash your money over the long term, then someone's not getting the right education.

Saw a statistic that only something like 52% of Americans are invested in the market? THAT is unbelievable (Seinfeld episode "THAT is outrageous").
This is why they need to be teaching about finance, the economy, the stock market, etc starting in about 8th grade and continuing through high school. If 50% of Americans never learned that the stock market is the best possible place to stash your money over the long term, then someone's not getting the right education.
Amen! I don’t know what they teach in schools anymore, but it’s not working on many things.

Y'see, bone........your post serves as an object lesson on why the ability to do the simplest level of common sense reasoning is critical to answering questions.
You're wondering why " 50% of Americans never learned (about why the Market is the place to put your money) " ?? Therefore " not getting the right education" ??

Would you care to know the percentage of Americans WHO LIVE WEEK TO WEEK WITHOUT A DOLLAR TO SPARE ?? That are unemployed ?? That are disabled ?? That are homeless ??
Or without any meaningful liquid assets for HUNDREDS of other reasons ??

Isn't it a little tough being " in the Market" without having anywhere near enough money to actually INVEST ??

So it's "unbelievable " ??
I'll tell you what's unbelievable.

Y'see, bone........your post serves as an object lesson on why the ability to do the simplest level of common sense reasoning is critical to answering questions.
You're wondering why " 50% of Americans never learned (about why the Market is the place to put your money) " ?? Therefore " not getting the right education" ??

Would you care to know the percentage of Americans WHO LIVE WEEK TO WEEK WITHOUT A DOLLAR TO SPARE ?? That are unemployed ?? That are disabled ?? That are homeless ??

Isn't it a little tough being " in the Market" without having anywhere near enough money to actually INVEST ??

Jesus Cristo, you never quit...do you? Here's some stats for you so you can enlighten us all...and while you're at it, how about solutions.

• Nearly one in 10 workers making $100,000+ live paycheck to paycheck
Why do you suppose that is Dub's? Give us your glowing dissertation as to why folks making that much money have no savings?

More than 1 in 4 workers do not set aside any savings each month
  • Nearly 3 in 4 workers say they are in debt - and more than half think they always will be

• More than half of minimum wage workers say they have to work more than one job to make ends meet
This one is pretty easy to understand.

• 28% of workers making $50,000-$99,999 usually or always live paycheck to paycheck, and 70% are in debt
Again, tell us why this happens.....and how to prevent it. Why so much debt Dub's....making decent to above average money?

I believe the following is a huge contributor to these issues.....The survey also found that ONLY 32% of the nearly 3,500 full-time workers surveyed use a budget and only 56% save $100 or less a month.

And...could the survey have been skewed for the article?

Jesus Cristo, you never quit...do you? Here's some stats for you so you can enlighten us all...and while you're at it, how about solutions.

• Nearly one in 10 workers making $100,000+ live paycheck to paycheck
Why do you suppose that is Dub's? Give us your glowing dissertation as to why folks making that much money have no savings?

More than 1 in 4 workers do not set aside any savings each month
  • Nearly 3 in 4 workers say they are in debt - and more than half think they always will be

• More than half of minimum wage workers say they have to work more than one job to make ends meet
This one is pretty easy to understand.

• 28% of workers making $50,000-$99,999 usually or always live paycheck to paycheck, and 70% are in debt
Again, tell us why this happens.....and how to prevent it. Why so much debt Dub's....making decent to above average money?

I believe the following is a huge contributor to these issues.....The survey also found that ONLY 32% of the nearly 3,500 full-time workers surveyed use a budget and only 56% save $100 or less a month.

And...could the survey have been skewed for the article?
1) FIRST: Congratulations !! Seriously !! This post represents your use of actual statistical and reliable information. Along with a concept of a demonstrably reasonable point of view.
Compare THIS post with the often out-of-your-rear-end accusatory trash, involving the usual targets.
Sorry, but kudos are in order.

2) What my post left out, of course, are the millions of citizens that COULD ( and should) avail themselves of the opportunities to invest in a number of ways, including the stock market, given their disposable income.
My post found fault with the OTHER poster who failed to even give a nod to the millions upon millions of citizens who have NO additional disposable income...for obvious reasons......and can't invest.

So, BETWEEN the messages from our 2 posts.....it's covered.

Not shocked that was his perspective. "there are people without wealth in this country? IDIOTS!"

Reactions: indy35
1) FIRST: Congratulations !! Seriously !! This post represents your use of actual statistical and reliable information. Along with a concept of a demonstrably reasonable point of view.
Compare THIS post with the often out-of-your-rear-end accusatory trash, involving the usual targets.
Sorry, but kudos are in order.

2) What my post left out, of course, are the millions of citizens that COULD ( and should) avail themselves of the opportunities to invest in a number of ways, including the stock market, given their disposable income.
My post found fault with the OTHER poster who failed to even give a nod to the millions upon millions of citizens who have NO additional disposable income...for obvious reasons......and can't invest.

So, BETWEEN the messages from our 2 posts.....it's covered.
I once knew a Priest...he was actually a avid motorcyclist whom I became friends with...and he donated a cool million bucks to a charity, at which point someone questioned how he could have so much, making so little. His reply..."It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have".

He made a ton in the markets and investments.

I once knew a Priest...he was actually a avid motorcyclist whom I became friends with...and he donated a cool million bucks to a charity, at which point someone questioned how he could have so much, making so little. His reply..."It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have".

He made a ton in the markets and investments.
(The cynical part of humanity might suggest your friend, the Priest, did not accumulate the million by investing a modest portion of a typical Priest's weekly income....)

Reactions: MANelson85
(The cynical part of humanity might suggest your friend, the Priest, did not accumulate the million by investing a modest portion of a typical Priest's weekly income....)

He didn't. He told me that most of his salary was an opportunity to help others. I'm not Catholic, but I really like this guy's philosophy on what life should be about.

That being said, he always rode nice bikes.;)

Glad I put in my stop loss order. NK came down fast. Lot of profit taking. I’ll keep and eye on it and buy again if it goes down further and Then hope for good news on the next trial data.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think I were conversing with AOC. You play the lefty talking points about victimhood very well.
But go back and read what I wrote about starting to teach this stuff in 8th grade.
By the time students finish high school, even if they don’t go to college, they’ll know about what’s the best way to control their financial future.
Perhaps if students were exposed to and taught about financial literacy, they’d have an understanding about investing, compounding interest, dividends, building wealth, 401K, taxes, fiscal responsibility, debt/bad interest and decision-making.
On the other hand, if people (adults) make poor financial decisions (having children before getting married, having children as a single parent, having children you can’t afford, having a lack of financial discipline, signing terrible debt/interest contracts, putting everything on credit cards, etc), well, I don’t have too much sympathy for you.
Decisions have consequences.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think I were conversing with AOC. You play the lefty talking points about victimhood very well.
But go back and read what I wrote about starting to teach this stuff in 8th grade.
By the time students finish high school, even if they don’t go to college, they’ll know about what’s the best way to control their financial future.
Perhaps if students were exposed to and taught about financial literacy, they’d have an understanding about investing, compounding interest, dividends, building wealth, 401K, taxes, fiscal responsibility, debt/bad interest and decision-making.
On the other hand, if people (adults) make poor financial decisions (having children before getting married, having children as a single parent, having children you can’t afford, having a lack of financial discipline, signing terrible debt/interest contracts, putting everything on credit cards, etc), well, I don’t have too much sympathy for you.
Decisions have consequences.
Reading the more recent posts, here, will offer some clarifying explanations, bone.
Your advice to those who have the ability to TAKE it is certainly of a positive nature.

Reading the more recent posts, here, will offer some clarifying explanations, bone.
Your advice to those who have the ability to TAKE it is certainly of a positive nature.

please clarify. I’m only on my second cup of joe and I’m not getting your point.

what percentage of americans are employed full time? I'm gonna guess there's a strong correlation there.

what percentage of americans are employed full time? I'm gonna guess there's a strong correlation there.
For any meaningful analysis, correlation and discussion on the relationship between investment and full time employment, I would think that it would require the figures need to segregate out the numbers for adults, retired, disabled/unable to work and similar compartments.

For any meaningful analysis, correlation and discussion on the relationship between investment and full time employment, I would think that it would require the figures need to segregate out the numbers for adults, retired, disabled/unable to work and similar compartments.
debt clock says ~132M full time employed. Retired ~54M. Population ~330M. Probably a pretty good correlation. Looks reasonable off the cuff...

debt clock says ~132M full time employed. Retired ~54M. Population ~330M. Probably a pretty good correlation. Looks reasonable off the cuff...
But without breakdown of current vs retired and adult vs nonadult, and previously vs currently employed, and whether having a 401(k) in which worker is inactive is/is not involved, it would seem pretty limited analysis. I like the idea you propose but in reality it seems quite a bit more complicated than what I had originally thought at first blush in reading your OP.

Glad I put in my stop loss order. NK came down fast. Lot of profit taking. I’ll keep and eye on it and buy again if it goes down further and Then hope for good news on the next trial data.
Bone....look at TimkenSteel. Was at 40+ now down to about $8. Big changes made including the board firing the guy with the name on the door. If you read about it, they're making huge changes that I believe will bring the stock back to the point it's a good investment, or the company will be sold at which point the stock becomes even more valuable. It's one to buy and hang on to.

Just reread your reply and I think what you’re saying is “it’s good advice it people take it”.

is that correct?

well, as they say, you can lead a horse to water.....
If a person learns financial literacy throughout high school but refuses to apply it in adulthood, then I don’t feel sorry for them. If they’re going to make poor decisions, especially when they know they’re poor decisions, then sometimes people have to learn the hard way.

Bone....look at TimkenSteel. Was at 40+ now down to about $8. Big changes made including the board firing the guy with the name on the door. If you read about it, they're making huge changes that I believe will bring the stock back to the point it's a good investment, or the company will be sold at which point the stock becomes even more valuable. It's one to buy and hang on to.

I’ll take a look. (Reminds me of Wall Street “Blue Horseshoe loves Endicott Steel”

My most recent buys in the last 2 weeks are:
BLDP
AGRX
VERU

I also bought NK but sold it on a limit order after about a 25% gain.

tonight I’m watching CETX and thinking about shorting it.

What do you think suggests that they are likely to achieve a long term recovery? Was there any particular reason related to the company itself that led to the stock dropping so precipitously 5 years ago?
I saw they closed a plant in Houston for savings leaving 5 in operation for some relief. But they also had a $4.6m loss for Q3 versus a $1.4 m profit a year earlier and their valuation ratios seem pretty low for the industry. I would also wonder if the apparent easing of China trade issues may not exacerbate TMST's problems in the long run.
I've seen a bit of touting Cleveland-Cliffs, Reliance and Commercial Metals as the industry best buys for the near future, but haven't looked to compare.

I’ll take a look. (Reminds me of Wall Street “Blue Horseshoe loves Endicott Steel”

My most recent buys in the last 2 weeks are:
BLDP
AGRX
VERU

I also bought NK but sold it on a limit order after about a 25% gain.

tonight I’m watching CETX and thinking about shorting it.
Today CETX authorized a buyback of 2m shares of common over the next 3 years.

Lol they’re going to be miserable the next 4 years
Sounds like your comprehension is just as good as Skydog’s. I have faith there are enough decent people left in the country to deny Trump another term. If Republican Senators don’t ignore their oaths we’ll be free of him sooner than that.

Last edited:
Today CETX authorized a buyback of 2m shares of common over the next 3 years.

I think the stock more than doubled today and continued in after hours trading. I’d be surprised if they hold onto those gains. Shorting might be an easy way to make a few quick bucks.

What do you think suggests that they are likely to achieve a long term recovery? Was there any particular reason related to the company itself that led to the stock dropping so precipitously 5 years ago?
I saw they closed a plant in Houston for savings leaving 5 in operation for some relief. But they also had a $4.6m loss for Q3 versus a $1.4 m profit a year earlier and their valuation ratios seem pretty low for the industry. I would also wonder if the apparent easing of China trade issues may not exacerbate TMST's problems in the long run.
I've seen a bit of touting Cleveland-Cliffs, Reliance and Commercial Metals as the industry best buys for the near future, but haven't looked to compare.
I bought betting on the fact that it's for sale, and it appears Steel Dynamics wants it with negotiations on going. If that happens I will make a quick buck on my investment and maybe come out with a better deal if and when it splits.

If you look at the history of Timken (bearings and steel) before they split a few years ago, they were a great company and they have some of the cleanest steel on the market. The firing of the last Timken on the board tells me that they'll replace him with someone who knows how to turn it around.

As for Houston, Oil and Gas pipe is down a lot of places...just the opposite of what one would expect. I'd also guess they're trying to pare investments in order to appease the shareholders by cutting costs.

I'm taking a chance on it, just as I did Ford when it crashed. I made 141% on my money there in a short period of time and believe I can do the same here.

Reactions: SKYDOG and 70boiler
I bought betting on the fact that it's for sale, and it appears Steel Dynamics wants it with negotiations on going. If that happens I will make a quick buck on my investment and maybe come out with a better deal if and when it splits.

If you look at the history of Timken (bearings and steel) before they split a few years ago, they were a great company and they have some of the cleanest steel on the market. The firing of the last Timken on the board tells me that they'll replace him with someone who knows how to turn it around.

As for Houston, Oil and Gas pipe is down a lot of places...just the opposite of what one would expect. I'd also guess they're trying to pare investments in order to appease the shareholders by cutting costs.

I'm taking a chance on it, just as I did Ford when it crashed. I made 141% on my money there in a short period of time and believe I can do the same here.
I knew that the oil issues had created issues for Houston and of the substitution of CEO. The rest ties things up better. Thnx

I don’t know Twin. Timkens chart is really ugly, especially in a bull market. I understand what you’re saying about the changes made and that it’s a turnaround play. I’m going to keep an eye on it and see what other news comes out before I pull the trigger.
However, I’m thinking of adding to my BLDP position. Up 35% since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT