ADVERTISEMENT

Tyger Announcement

Ummm.....Brunson is 6'3, was an McD AA, and one of the top rated PGs in high school. No comparison.
PJ is a 2 tool player: He hits 3s and plays decent D. He doesn't rebound, doesn't get inside and finish and can't get his own shot.

For example, LewJack was the opposite. He couldn't shoot or rebound, but he could play D, penetrate and finish at the rim.
So when CMP lands Russell Westbrook, you’ll be satisfied? Got it...we’ll all wait for a once in a lifetime type player who the only other kind of player like him was Oscar Robertson. But I’m sure your pissed off at CMP, Gene, or someone else for letting an in state kid get away like Oscar...

I had to expand to see you were responding to bonefish. His post has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have seen on here. Then again he's just an old man that hasn't the first clue about today's basketball scene.

PJ has been freakin awesome on both ends of the court as you said and has a very good set of percentages. At this point anyone railing against PJ is more interested in being 'right' on the internet than reality.
Bone said PJ wouldn't start for any other B1G team. lol.

I'd like to reiterate my desire to start a true freshmen over PJ was a strong endorsement for Eastern and Carson the previous year, rather than a slight on PJ.

I also come from a long line of fans of having a great 6th man on the team. John Havlicek was a tremendous 6th man for many Celtics championship teams.

Just think how great this team would be if we had the talent, and PJ came off the bench as our 6th man to give us that needed spark - much like the Maryland game where they cut our lead to three, and then insert PJ, and the we never looked back.

and if yo u read the 20th paragraph of my previous post on this subject rather than the first line, you'd realize the point i was trying to make.

I am pretty sure Carsen is the fastest and it isn't close,

And you would be wrong

As the Boilers practice in preparation for the World University games in August, the newcomers are already drawing rave reviews from teammates and coaches. Josh Bonhotal, the associate director of strength and conditioning, regularly times every player’s 20-meter sprint.

Senior point guard P.J. Thompson still holds the team’s fastest personal record with 2.83 seconds. But Eastern and Wheeler beat Thompson in the most recent heat, clocking in just hundredths of a second slower than Thompson's lifetime PR.

Bonhotal, who has a stint with the Chicago Bulls on his resume, said 2.90 seconds is considered the speed an NBA player needs to play point guard.

http://www.goshennews.com/sports/na...cle_b40cafc3-a718-5564-a394-8f39c924ae64.html

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
I believe Pj is great, but how would he rate against the other PGs of the other top 10 teams? Is he better than Duke or Nova's PG?

I realize all Purdue fans love PJ, but how does he really stack up?

Rate in what way? How he plays one-on-one at the co-rec? How adept he is at double-pump slams? Or how he fits with this team?

Remember, every shot a point guard takes must be subtracted from Carsen or Isaac or another player. And when you do that, you diminish the effectiveness of the other guys. Or at least, hypothetically, you might.

The point is, basketball is truly a team game. I'm not being condescending here, but instead pointing out that it's all about fit.

I don't know you, so I don't know if this describes you, but so often people overlook just how extraordinary this situation is. It's the most delicate of all balances: Giving Isaac enough touches to play inside-out and forcing the other team into a Sophie's Choice defensive decision every game. Providing Carsen with enough freedom to be himself while at the same time making sure his amazing talents are maximized without harming our offense. Keeping Vince and Dakota involved and making sure they're getting their opportunities. And that's not even considering the bench.

So...yeah, obviously, there are other PGs with better individual or physical gifts than PJ. But for this team? He's the perfect point guard. He's unselfish, humble, wickedly intelligent, and tough as nails.

That's not homerism. It's evidenced on the court every time we play.

pwn3d

Reactions: CMPurdue
So when CMP lands Russell Westbrook, you’ll be satisfied? Got it...we’ll all wait for a once in a lifetime type player who the only other kind of player like him was Oscar Robertson. But I’m sure your pissed off at CMP, Gene, or someone else for letting an in state kid get away like Oscar...

I actually believe Carsen is a Westbrook type player. I didn’t say he IS Westbrook, I said he has similar skills.

I don't recall seeing an explanation out of Tyger on why he decommitted in the 1st place. Maybe I missed it.. Anyway, I believe that it was him that set the announcement date and I don't think that is is unreasonable for the fan bases of those 4 teams to expect at least some kind of explanation of why that date wasn't kept.
That’s just the point where our beliefs differ. I simply don’t think it’s any of my business so I just wait to see what happens and watch whoever ends up on the team. You don’t have to agree but I can say that my way is absolutely zero stress:).

I'd like to reiterate my desire to start a true freshmen over PJ was a strong endorsement for Eastern and Carson the previous year, rather than a slight on PJ.

I also come from a long line of fans of having a great 6th man on the team. John Havlicek was a tremendous 6th man for many Celtics championship teams.

Just think how great this team would be if we had the talent, and PJ came off the bench as our 6th man to give us that needed spark - much like the Maryland game where they cut our lead to three, and then insert PJ, and the we never looked back.

and if yo u read the 20th paragraph of my previous post on this subject rather than the first line, you'd realize the point i was trying to make.
If you skip the backpedaling and excuses by jumping to the last paragraph you get to the meat of the problem...you write/talk too damn much.:D

If you skip the backpedaling and excuses by jumping to the last paragraph you get to the meat of the problem...you write/talk too damn much.:D

I also expected Eastern to be starting over PJ by this point. Hey, I was wrong. It’s happened before, it’ll happen again.
While NEnis getting some decent playing time and good experience, he’s not ready to start over PJ.

Reactions: SKYDOG
That’s just the point where our beliefs differ. I simply don’t think it’s any of my business so I just wait to see what happens and watch whoever ends up on the team. You don’t have to agree but I can say that my way is absolutely zero stress:).

Please consider bottling/patenting the no stress methods.....and I'm assuming there's a discount for Purdue alums (despite the high demand). ;)

And you would be wrong

As the Boilers practice in preparation for the World University games in August, the newcomers are already drawing rave reviews from teammates and coaches. Josh Bonhotal, the associate director of strength and conditioning, regularly times every player’s 20-meter sprint.

Senior point guard P.J. Thompson still holds the team’s fastest personal record with 2.83 seconds. But Eastern and Wheeler beat Thompson in the most recent heat, clocking in just hundredths of a second slower than Thompson's lifetime PR.

Bonhotal, who has a stint with the Chicago Bulls on his resume, said 2.90 seconds is considered the speed an NBA player needs to play point guard.

http://www.goshennews.com/sports/na...cle_b40cafc3-a718-5564-a394-8f39c924ae64.html
Well who cares about track speed when we have all witnessed the difference in game speed?

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
I also expected Eastern to be starting over PJ by this point. Hey, I was wrong. It’s happened before, it’ll happen again.
While NEnis getting some decent playing time and good experience, he’s not ready to start over PJ.
If Eastern develops PJ’s stroke as he gains experience he will be one nasty guard to handle.

If Eastern develops PJ’s stroke as he gains experience he will be one nasty guard to handle.

He knocked down an open three against Maryland as they dared him to do so. If he can do that at a consistent rate, he will get drafted. Great size and overall feel for the game. I haven't seen a freshman guard as well as him and he rebounds incredibly well for a guard. As he continues to develop, I expect him to be an all Big candidate sooner rather than later and if he continues to improve st the rate he has, he will be an all-American. He has the length to really bother the opposing teams' guards.

He knocked down an open three against Maryland as they dared him to do so. If he can do that at a consistent rate, he will get drafted. Great size and overall feel for the game. I haven't seen a freshman guard as well as him and he rebounds incredibly well for a guard. As he continues to develop, I expect him to be an all Big candidate sooner rather than later and if he continues to improve st the rate he has, he will be an all-American. He has the length to really bother the opposing teams' guards.
He has to get up about 1000 shots a day in the off season and possibly work with a private shooting coach. (whoever Zo worked with would be idea).
He's got nice skills, athleticism and excellent rebounding instincts, but if he can't hit a jumper consistently, teams will give sag, won't let him penetrate. I could see him being like a GRob III though.

Painter doesn't like the drama types anyways. The way he handled this he seems to be a drama type. No thanks
Swanigan had a helluva lot more drama around him before his commitment to Purdue. That didn't seem to phase Painter.
If you have top talent that wants to come to your school and they're not complete head cases, you find a way to make it work.

*yawn*

giphy.gif

Yep saw that coming....

The teller was when PJ's brother, IT, committed for 2019.

Now Painter can wait for the best available athlete or carry it to 2019.

All good options to have.....

Best of luck to him. No bitterness, but my hopes weren't high, and this doesn't bother me in the slightest. Get the kids who want to come and who appreciate what an extraordinary situation this is.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Swanigan had a helluva lot more drama around him before his commitment to Purdue. That didn't seem to phase Painter.
If you have top talent that wants to come to your school and they're not complete head cases, you find a way to make it work.
Swanigan was a fringe top 10 recruit at a position of need, local, and had ties to Purdue.
Tyger is a fringe top 80 recruit at a position we have somewhat covered for the foreseeable future. This is like losing CJ Walker. I don't think we will turn around and get another Carsen level steal, but it's not like Walker was a program changing recruit. Swanigan was ( T Williams referenced him as the reason he chose Purdue).

He has to get up about 1000 shots a day in the off season and possibly work with a private shooting coach. (whoever Zo worked with would be idea).
He's got nice skills, athleticism and excellent rebounding instincts, but if he can't hit a jumper consistently, teams will give sag, won't let him penetrate. I could see him being like a GRob III though.
Many guys in the league can’t shoot period so that won’t stop nba scouts from looking at my son closely like there are now. He is a veritable 6”7 PG fast athletic can guard and defend multiple positions that will get more than his fair share of nba scouts looking at him so I’m not worried one bit about his shot. His shot will be greatly improved soon as season is over with. His game how he plays fits the nba style and you right his jump shot greatly improves and it will with all his intangibles he would get some workouts I’m sure. Right now it’s about this season he is concentrating on trying to help this team go far as it can. He is already set up with a shooting coach and Trainer to take his game to another level.

Reactions: Inspector100
Many guys in the league can’t shoot period so that won’t stop nba scouts from looking at my son closely like there are now. He is a veritable 6”7 PG fast athletic can guard and defend multiple positions that will get more than his fair share of nba scouts looking at him so I’m not worried one bit about his shot. His shot will be greatly improved soon as season is over with. His game how he plays fits the nba style and you right his jump shot greatly improves and it will with all his intangibles he would get some workouts I’m sure. Right now it’s about this season he is concentrating on trying to help this team go far as it can. He is already set up with a shooting coach and Trainer to take his game to another level.
Treed, what's your opine of Nojel playing underneath for some periods in addition to playing the point, our rebounding needs help.

Best of luck to him. No bitterness, but my hopes weren't high, and this doesn't bother me in the slightest. Get the kids who want to come and who appreciate what an extraordinary situation this is.
yeah best of luck to him, didn't look like the type of kid we get at Purdue.

Treed, what's your opine of Nojel playing underneath for some periods in addition to playing the point, our rebounding needs help.
What I can say if they need him to play 2/3/4 he can. I believe more min he will knock down shots and make FT something he’s gaining more confidence in while continuing to work on both of those areas of his game. He will do whatever if it will help the team win games.

Thank goodness...his hair triggers me. I couldn't tolerate staring at that mop for 4 years.

What I can say if they need him to play 2/3/4 he can. I believe more min he will knock down shots and make FT something he’s gaining more confidence in while continuing to work on both of those areas of his game. He will do whatever if it will help the team win games.

this is the first time I've gotten in any discussions about your son because I wanted to see how he improves over the season and he has. He is strong and has hops and I believe he's a better rebounder than GE. It would give him more minutes and experience which will benefit him and the team this year and the coming years.

Best thing I've read in weeks. Nojel is a PG, but a PG can be a multitude of things. The more diverse Nojel's skill set, the harder he will be to guard, the more successful we'll be, and the more scouts will be impressed by him.

He can handle the ball and defend like someone six inches shorter, yet he has the height and strength to post up, to drive and finish amongst the trees, and to see over most defenders. I'm not saying he's Magic Johnson, but no one ever saw Magic as less of a point guard because he was able to post up. That only made him a more effective point guard.

I look for Nojel to continue to blossom, to profoundly impact this year's team, and to be a featured player on next year's team.

I believe Tyger saw his future at Purdue as being a back up his first two years and then being a complementary player the next two and never being the main man! We could certainly have used his talents. But looking at the players on this team who will be returning, I couldn't see Tyger as ever being the alpha dog on this team. Perhaps Tyger shared that same opinion.

I do have problems in people dissing a player's talents and calling them a head case and drama case when they chose another team. I believe if he chose Purdue, you would have loved him.

It is what it is. Not sure why an Indiana kid would want to play for UCLA and Alford, but so be it. Besides I like the guys and the team we already have, I wasn't convinced how Tyger's role with the team would have worked anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT