ADVERTISEMENT

Tyger Announcement

You simply won’t give up beating that tired old drum will you? Bonefish, I am actually embarrassed for you when you get started on this same old song. What in the heck did PJ ever do to you because you have really made this personal....I realize we all don’t have to agree about everything but PJ is 25% of this Senior Class. He has worked long and hard and given his all to Purdue. He is who CMP wants on the point or he wouldn’t be there. Are you really so egocentric that you think you know so much better? Please move on and give PJ his due.

I like PJ. Just wish he were 6'3, could dribble penetrate, get his own shot.

You, Johnny, and a couple others are bringing an eerie amount of rationality to the board today. Better be careful with that, or folks might check out the forum and get the impression we're reasonable people.
Great - I read this on a day I haven't been on here! Of course, I had to celebrate just being alive today ... thank you Tyger...

I strongly agree with those thoughts. As I have posted take all the time needed, think carefully, choose as wisely and thoughtfully as possible, make your decision then announce it.
No one makes these kids set and publish any timelines, apart from the fact that schools may give "their scholarship" to another, rather they choose to do so on their own and seemingly do so solely for the publicity they expect it to create.
It is the utilization of the decision making as an ongoing self-aggrandizing methodology by an athlete and media that I object to and detest. For instance, I am nauseated each time I see some kid sitting with 4 or 5 hats and faking a pickup of one.
Trashy and immature.
I am with you in that I don’t like the hat thing and it is immature but you do have to consider that they are 17, and if I remember right that pretty much defines immature.

reading that one article, I couldn't believe how many LA Lum grads go to De Paul. there's also an article that says 4* center Penn Johnson has narrowed his list of schools to De Paul and Washington. i have to believe he and Tyger have probably privately communicated.

i remember when I was a senior in high school. it's hard emotionally to go to that better school when all of your friends are all going to the local different one.

I am with you in that I don’t like the hat thing and it is immature but you do have to consider that they are 17, and if I remember right that pretty much defines immature.

maybe he was missing one of his 4 hats, and the hat store at the mall was sold out, and he's waiting for amazon to deliver one.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
My understanding is that his shot has improved a lot. Regardless, I won’t lose any sleep if he chooses to go elsewhere, but I would like to have him suprise me and choose Purdue.
Keeping with the music theme:
“If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice”
Rush-Tom Sawyer
my favorite group. Listen to them almost everyday. :)

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Does anyone else find this delayed announcement to be the icing on the cake? It’s hilarious and so predictable that it’s going like this. At this point, I wouldn’t count out any of the 4 teams on his list. And I’m sure he’s being bombarded with texts from all the coaches. This has been one of the oddest recruiting situations I’ve ever seen.

Does anyone else find this delayed announcement to be the icing on the cake? It’s hilarious and so predictable that it’s going like this. At this point, I wouldn’t count out any of the 4 teams on his list. And I’m sure he’s being bombarded with texts from all the coaches. This has been one of the oddest recruiting situations I’ve ever seen.
I doubt CMP is texting him and sounds like he has already moved on.

Are we going to get into another argument about PJ?
I would still contend that PJ is a marginal B10 level PG. Yes, I know he's the starting PG for the No 3 ranked team in the country. Yes, I know he's a nearly 50% 3 pt shooter. But, he's also a product of the system in that his main responsibility, for all 4 years, has been to dump it down to an NBA level big man on the block and then be a spot up 3 pt shooter.
I get it, he does what he's asked to do. But, as we've seen in the past, his lack of speed and athleticism really hinder him. Just hope it doesn't happen during the tourney.
Jalen Brunson doesn’t have elite size and athleticism either.

PJ has been terrific on both ends of the court this year.

I had to expand to see you were responding to bonefish. His post has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have seen on here. Then again he's just an old man that hasn't the first clue about today's basketball scene.

PJ has been freakin awesome on both ends of the court as you said and has a very good set of percentages. At this point anyone railing against PJ is more interested in being 'right' on the internet than reality.

I believe Pj is great, but how would he rate against the other PGs of the other top 10 teams? Is he better than Duke or Nova's PG?

I realize all Purdue fans love PJ, but how does he really stack up?

I believe Pj is great, but how would he rate against the other PGs of the other top 10 teams? Is he better than Duke or Nova's PG?

Rate in what way? How he plays one-on-one at the co-rec? How adept he is at double-pump slams? Or how he fits with this team?

Remember, every shot a point guard takes must be subtracted from Carsen or Isaac or another player. And when you do that, you diminish the effectiveness of the other guys. Or at least, hypothetically, you might.

The point is, basketball is truly a team game. I'm not being condescending here, but instead pointing out that it's all about fit.

I don't know you, so I don't know if this describes you, but so often people overlook just how extraordinary this situation is. It's the most delicate of all balances: Giving Isaac enough touches to play inside-out and forcing the other team into a Sophie's Choice defensive decision every game. Providing Carsen with enough freedom to be himself while at the same time making sure his amazing talents are maximized without harming our offense. Keeping Vince and Dakota involved and making sure they're getting their opportunities. And that's not even considering the bench.

So...yeah, obviously, there are other PGs with better individual or physical gifts than PJ. But for this team? He's the perfect point guard. He's unselfish, humble, wickedly intelligent, and tough as nails.

That's not homerism. It's evidenced on the court every time we play.

Rate in what way? How he plays one-on-one at the co-rec? How adept he is at double-pump slams? Or how he fits with this team?

Remember, every shot a point guard takes must be subtracted from Carsen or Isaac or another player. And when you do that, you diminish the effectiveness of the other guys. Or at least, hypothetically, you might.

The point is, basketball is truly a team game. I'm not being condescending here, but instead pointing out that it's all about fit.

I don't know you, so I don't know if this describes you, but so often people overlook just how extraordinary this situation is. It's the most delicate of all balances: Giving Isaac enough touches to play inside-out and forcing the other team into a Sophie's Choice defensive decision every game. Providing Carsen with enough freedom to be himself while at the same time making sure his amazing talents are maximized without harming our offense. Keeping Vince and Dakota involved and making sure they're getting their opportunities. And that's not even considering the bench.

So...yeah, obviously, there are other PGs with better individual or physical gifts than PJ. But for this team? He's the perfect point guard. He's unselfish, humble, wickedly intelligent, and tough as nails.

That's not homerism. It's evidenced on the court every time we play.
I want to make this a sticky at the top of the main board.

I would still contend that PJ is a marginal B10 level PG. Yes, I know he's the starting PG for the No 3 ranked team in the country. Yes, I know he's a nearly 50% 3 pt shooter. But, he's also a product of the system in that his main responsibility, for all 4 years, has been to dump it down to an NBA level big man on the block and then be a spot up 3 pt shooter.
I get it, he does what he's asked to do. But, as we've seen in the past, his lack of speed and athleticism really hinder him. Just hope it doesn't happen during the tourney.
I am pretty sure PJ is the fastest guy on the team.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre

Ummm.....Brunson is 6'3, was an McD AA, and one of the top rated PGs in high school. No comparison.
PJ is a 2 tool player: He hits 3s and plays decent D. He doesn't rebound, doesn't get inside and finish and can't get his own shot.

For example, LewJack was the opposite. He couldn't shoot or rebound, but he could play D, penetrate and finish at the rim.

That's my point! I'm not ripping on PJ. He's been great for this team. But, he's an average to below average caliber point guard for the B10 and certainly if you compare him to the PGs on other top 10 teams.

Not all quarterbacks who win games are 'Great' quarterbacks. Sometimes, they have the benefit of a great defense, great running game, etc surrounding them the can hide their deficiencies (Rex Grossman and the super bowl Bears).

Yep, and surprised it hasn't turned into a eastern thread yet
It's going to take off now...

732115as.jpg

Ummm.....Brunson is 6'3, was an McD AA, and one of the top rated PGs in high school. No comparison.
PJ is a 2 tool player: He hits 3s and plays decent D. He doesn't rebound, doesn't get inside and finish and can't get his own shot.

For example, LewJack was the opposite. He couldn't shoot or rebound, but he could play D, penetrate and finish at the rim.
Brunson is not 6’3”, regardless of what he is listed at and is an average athlete. He was a McDonalds All American because he is a terrific player with great skill and decision making, but he’s considered a long shot to make it in the NBA because he doesn’t have NBA athleticism. He’s become a good defender, but he didn’t start his college career as one. Brunson is the perfect college point guard for Nova and PJ gives Purdue exactly what the Boilers need from the position. It doesn’t matter what he can’t do because the things that he does are the things that his team needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1869er and BBG
That's my point! I'm not ripping on PJ. He's been great for this team. But, he's an average to below average caliber point guard for the B10 and certainly if you compare him to the PGs on other top 10 teams.

Not all quarterbacks who win games are 'Great' quarterbacks. Sometimes, they have the benefit of a great defense, great running game, etc surrounding them the can hide their deficiencies (Rex Grossman and the super bowl Bears).

If you're going to look at a "prototype" PG position, sure PJ doesn't stand out.

However, most teams in college basketball don't play prototype players or systems.

For example, Purdue employs a motion offense - which if you've watched Purdue play 5 minutes of basketball, you know the offense is not feeding through a PG. So yeah, is PJ a great PG prototype? No, but we're also not looking for him to be that.

And like with any case, it's a game by game basis. Some games he's able to really flourish based on his matchup. If we play a tall team across the board - it can be a challenge.

Overall, PJ brings a lot of positives to the table - one major one is hardly any turnovers. The guy has 19 turnovers in 24 games (one every 36 minutes played) - that's absurd. There's very few amazing all-around PGs in the college game - it's a rarity for a reason. But PJ fits what we need - and when you're running an efficient motion offense, there's really no "true point guard" to begin with.

Reactions: Dakota Girl and BBG
I'm a big PJ fan. I was one of the few people on here that said it was laughable that PJ wouldn't be a starter this season. Ironically, most of the people defending PJ in this thread were the same ones that were saying a true freshman was going to be starting over him. With that being said, in the future I want recruits that are impact players more than just their junior and senior years.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
I'm a big PJ fan. I was one of the few people on here that said it was laughable that PJ wouldn't be a starter this season. Ironically, most of the people defending PJ in this thread were the same ones that were saying a true freshman was going to be starting over him. With that being said, in the future I want recruits that are impact players more than just their junior and senior years.
I'd like to apologize to those I called out here for saying they said "PJ wouldn't start". I just went back and looked... turns out it was Bonefish and Wole saying the true freshman would eventually start over PJ. Continue your regularly scheduled argument.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

You realize you just countered the argument against Xavier right? Rankings don't matter with Painter so long as they fit the system. Out of every PG in the Big right now, Painter would take PJ over all of the others. Takes care of the ball, defends, shoots 3s at a high level, watches film well as a true student of the game, and has completely bought in. In fact, out of the whole league, I can't think of many that fit the bill more han PJ. He may not be flashy but he is the perfect cog for the machine.

Pinson has looked dang good on one of the best teams in the country. I have been following him because he plays with former Purdue target THT and he has had very good numbers for being on a loaded team. He is a lot like Tyger only a more consistent scorer with zero drama. He would be my choice if Painter decides PG is a need and Tyger isn't willing to buy in. I would rather have Xavier over a grad transfer because although I think Purdue makes the tournament, Purdue is better served with a player like Xavier learning the system for four/five years. I don't think there is a point guard that automatically turns Purdue into a title contender and Xavier has all the makings of a future star imo. With the last two classes going so well, just a few more pieces and Purdue could have a title contender again in 2-3 years.

No, Ricky Green is the fastest. Oops, that was Michigan about 35 years ago. Sorry, all this waiting has me confused.

I'd like to apologize to those I called out here for saying they said "PJ wouldn't start". I just went back and looked... turns out it was Bonefish and Wole saying the true freshman would eventually start over PJ. Continue your regularly scheduled argument.

I Believe I used the word "SHOULD" not "would" ! I realized Painter probably wouldn't bench PJ. I also said I wanted Vince to play SF and have Dakota and C Edwards at guard with PJ as the 6th man coming off the bench. and that opinion was expressed with the hope that we would sign an elite PF to replace Swanigan, or that Ewing or Taylor or Haarms would prove they were worth starting which also didn't happen. The twin towers concept was endorsed by many posters, but not by painter.

and there were many posters who said last year that C Edwards should start over PJ.

to suggest there were only two people with those thoughts is like intentionally dissing us. there were many more posters who shared our thoughts both last year - especially after the Kansas game, and at the start of this year.

And I've said many times I'm in favor of recruiting elite one and done type players like JJJ and Langford. and let the best player start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT