ADVERTISEMENT

Tyger Announcement

Boiled,
I don’t intend this to be an attack (many also consider this a fiasco). I’m just curious about your point of view...
What about this do you consider to be a fiasco?
His decomitment from Depaul, only to add them back in the list then schedule a day he is set to announce only to push it back to who knows when.

True, many Purdue people will be happy. Personally, I haven't seen a great player in the "VERY LIMITED" viewings. He sets players up to score very well, but in the limited viewings has the ball a lot (and this could just be the video since it is about him), but so did Lewis Jackson. Every team is different, but if Matt is truly moving towards two combo type guards I'm not sure he is the scorer others are out there. His finishes around the rim are not effective today if he were in the Big, but if he has moved up his class and is young...he will get stronger. Also, if the desired "transition to MORE position less players" is the desire, doesn't that suggest more combo guard play...less 5 play and more 4 play..people that can cover many areas...still spread the court and score in at least 2 of the 3 sections? Relative to 4 and 5 play...just what is the spacing distance that needs maintained to be effective...rhetorical I know,..

If he were to shock people and make a basketball decision (and there are other factors that may be other very important) to go to Purdue, Matt and many would be happy because he does in fact bring a valuable desire to facilitate, but I'm not going to lose any sleep here. I do think that inroads in LaPorte could be important going forward...with the right kids.
My understanding is that his shot has improved a lot. Regardless, I won’t lose any sleep if he chooses to go elsewhere, but I would like to have him suprise me and choose Purdue.

Latest 247 posting - Tyger decided not to decide.

Thinking based on Painter and staff out watching other players that we have moved on. I’m sure it will could be something like Carsen and Zavier. First one to accept gets it.

Amir is 6'4 and Xavier is 6'2. Xavier has been having a very good year and warrants the attention. I think Xavier is more adapt to running point, but it's a great offer. I think he would be excellent for our program. Don't know enough about Amir but he has good size. There was another player that was 5'9 but I can't remember his name and he may have been a 2019 kid. It does seem that Painter wants another person to handle the ball with the loss of PJ. I think Hunter could do it, but I agree with looking for a PG that fits the system. PJ wasn't highly ranked and he has done very well, think we could get a steal in Xavier if Tyger goes elsewhere.
Agreed, Xavier would be a nice get. Having a solid year.

Both guys ranked in the 350s. I would prefer to take my chances on a 5th year guy and not tie up this a scholly for four years.
Feel like we have a starting PG right now who was in that ranking level....TIC

I think paying attention to rankings late in the recruiting cycle is hard because there isn’t much movement unless they are having a crazy year like GRIII. just my 2 cents.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Both guys ranked in the 350s. I would prefer to take my chances on a 5th year guy and not tie up this a scholly for four years.
Pinson has offers from Wisconsin, Missouri, Dayton, Georgetown, DePaul, and Memphis. Harris originally committed to Rhode Island but decommitted shortly thereafter and is hearing from South Carolina, Maryland, Va Tech, and others. Seems to be a late bloomer.

I would have to ask, how much Isiah's decision to commit early affected Tyger's decision?

Just a hunch, but maybe he was set to pick Purdue and all of his DePaul connections freaked out, so he delayed it. Anyway, I hope the decision is soon. I hope he doesn't get pressured into making the wrong decision! At least if it is not us, he isn't going to Michigan State!

Reactions: oldboiler52
I would have to ask, what was his reason for decommitting from DePaul in the 1st place? We all speculated that he wanted to go to a better program. Now that he's had multiple offers from much better programs ,why the hesitation?

247 showed the DePaul head coach visited him yesterday in the timeline. Maybe he was set to announce but got cold feet?

Evan Daniels just changed his crystal ball prediction from DePaul to cloudy. Also, some twitter chatter about him possibly joining the big baller brand league.
Either way it would appear the Purdue coaching staff has moved on as they were out watching another 2018 guard yesterday and are still recruiting another.
I haven't heard anything about that league actually moving in to being a thing

I think paying attention to rankings late in the recruiting cycle is hard because there isn’t much movement unless they are having a crazy year like GRIII. just my 2 cents.
Pinson is highly regarded and plays on one of the best high school teams in the country (Simeon). Pinson holds offers from Missouri, Wisconsin, Dayton, Georgetown, and Memphis. He is a pretty well regarded recruit and holds better offers than a few guys on Purdue's roster right now. After around 80-100, the rankings are a bit hard to follow. The top guys are clearly better (as we have all seen), but the guys in those lower level rankings (100-300) could simply need another year or two to really reach their ceiling whereas some of those higher guys have already hit it or gotten close. For example, a great quote from Turgeon about Vince was that he didn't remember Vince being that athletic before...and that was with Vince being incredibly sick. Some of these guys just need a better direction, better weight program, and a focused vision from a college coach to get better.

As a comparison:
PJ Thompson: 354 (75 PG): Offers from Purdue, Toledo, ISU, Ball State, DePaul
Dakota Mathias: 218 (51 SG): Offers from Purdue, Akron, WVU, Dayton, BC
Matt Haarms: 354 (34 C): Offer from Purdue
Vince Edwards: 121 (31 SF): Offers from Purdue, Xavier, WVU, Vandy, Michigan, Dayton
Aaron Wheeler: 171 (38 SF): Offers from Purdue, Creighton, NU, Rhode Island, Providence, St. Louis
Sasha Stefanovic: 374 (84 SG): Offers from Purdue, Xavier, DePaul, Ball State, ISU, Illinois State
Ryan Cline: 159 (45 SG): Offers from Purdue, Ball State, Lipscomb, Belmont, Northern Kentucky
Jaquil Taylor: 249 (63 PF): Offers from Purdue, BC, Temple, VCU, Providence
Carsen Edwards: 118 (25 PG): Offers from Purdue, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Texas Tech, Vandy, VT

The guys on Purdue's current roster that were top 100 guys for their classes are:
Nojel Eastern: 68 (15 SF): Offers from Purdue, MSU, Seton Hall, OSU, DePaul, Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Michigan, NU, Xavier
Isaac Haas: 82 (10 C): Offers from Purdue, Texas A&M, UAB, Wake Forest, WVU, Tenn, UCLA, Texas, Stanford, Georgia, FSU, Clemson, Butler, Baylor, Auburn, Alabama

That fact that many overlook how great CMP and his staff are at identifying talent blows my mind. What other coach in the country do you think could do what CMP has done with this roster? What other coach do you think could identify these players, recruit these players, and then fit them together in a way to be as successful as Purdue has been over the last 3 1/2 season?

Are we going to get into another argument about PJ?
I would still contend that PJ is a marginal B10 level PG. Yes, I know he's the starting PG for the No 3 ranked team in the country. Yes, I know he's a nearly 50% 3 pt shooter. But, he's also a product of the system in that his main responsibility, for all 4 years, has been to dump it down to an NBA level big man on the block and then be a spot up 3 pt shooter.
I get it, he does what he's asked to do. But, as we've seen in the past, his lack of speed and athleticism really hinder him. Just hope it doesn't happen during the tourney.

I would have to ask, how much Isiah's decision to commit early affected Tyger's decision?
If he is worried about a guy coming in after him taking his spot and his minutes...he's a guy that shouldn't be committing to a high level program. If you are worried about someone coming in to do that before you even get on campus to work your tail off and THAT impacts your decision, hard pass.

I would still contend that PJ is a marginal B10 level PG. Yes, I know he's the starting PG for the No 3 ranked team in the country. Yes, I know he's a nearly 50% 3 pt shooter. But, he's also a product of the system in that his main responsibility, for all 4 years, has been to dump it down to an NBA level big man on the block and then be a spot up 3 pt shooter.
I get it, he does what he's asked to do. But, as we've seen in the past, his lack of speed and athleticism really hinder him. Just hope it doesn't happen during the tourney.
So with that in mind, is Klay Thompson just a product of his system and not really worthy of being a top flight SG in the NBA?

So with that in mind, is Klay Thompson just a product of his system and not really worthy of being a top flight SG in the NBA?
Klay is 6'7, can get his own shot. Not a good comparison.
What hurts PJ is his lack of size and athleticism. He can't penetrate, finish or get his own shot.

Klay is 6'7, can get his own shot. Not a good comparison.
What hurts PJ is his lack of size and athleticism. He can't penetrate, finish or get his own shot.
So you say he is a product of the system he is in...one in which it is asked of him to do exactly what he has shown to do over the course of four years.....and then knock him down for doing things he isn't supposed to do? Hmmmmm

I would have to ask, what was his reason for decommitting from DePaul in the 1st place? We all speculated that he wanted to go to a better program. Now that he's had multiple offers from much better programs ,why the hesitation?
Could it be that the board speculation is...
Wrong?

Reactions: Ben Shadeland
Pinson has offers from Wisconsin, Missouri, Dayton, Georgetown, DePaul, and Memphis. Harris originally committed to Rhode Island but decommitted shortly thereafter and is hearing from South Carolina, Maryland, Va Tech, and others. Seems to be a late bloomer.
This strikes me like a John Hart or Grant Weatherford situation based on the timing and Tyger's decision. If we are looking for immediate ball handling help next year, a GT would make more sense IMO.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
So you say he is a product of the system he is in...one in which it is asked of him to do exactly what he has shown to do over the course of four years.....and then knock him down for doing things he isn't supposed to do? Hmmmmm

No, what I said is, that he does what he's asked to do and he does it fairly well. He's like a really well trained dog. Obedient, listens, doesn't do anything he's not supposed to do.
But, I wondering if his inability to do other things (because of his lack of size, speed, athleticism) hurts PU? He was really exposed against Kansas last year in the tourney and has had a lot of trouble this year stopping dribble penetration on the perimeter.

His decomitment from Depaul, only to add them back in the list then schedule a day he is set to announce only to push it back to who knows when.
It’s the most important decision in his young life. I just don’t see why he should have to follow a fan base time table. If I am him, my priority list is
  1. myself and family,
  2. the various coaches...
Then somewhere around 345 I get to the Purdue Rivals board wants and needs.
Perspective.

No, what I said is, that he does what he's asked to do and he does it fairly well. He's like a really well trained dog. Obedient, listens, doesn't do anything he's not supposed to do.
But, I wondering if his inability to do other things (because of his lack of size, speed, athleticism) hurts PU? He was really exposed against Kansas last year in the tourney and has had a lot of trouble this year stopping dribble penetration on the perimeter.
But your claims are inherently false beyond his height. He is one of the quickest players Purdue has and that was backed up by Purdue's S&C coach in his sprint numbers.

Your claims about the dribble penetration are inherently wrong as well. He is not being isolated and allowing his player to dribble past him...what you are speaking of is PJ guarding in a pick and roll situation. In that instance, PJ is reliant on the big hedging correctly, which they didn't do well against UM and Indiana.

Reactions: Ben Shadeland
PJ does have NBA point guard speed in the sprints. Scary that Eastern and Wheeler are already there coming in over the summer:

http://www.goshennews.com/sports/na...cle_b40cafc3-a718-5564-a394-8f39c924ae64.html

Josh Bonhotal, the associate director of strength and conditioning, regularly times every player’s 20-meter sprint.
Senior point guard P.J. Thompson still holds the team’s fastest personal record with 2.83 seconds. But Eastern and Wheeler beat Thompson in the most recent heat, clocking in just hundredths of a second slower than Thompson's lifetime PR.

Bonhotal, who has a stint with the Chicago Bulls on his resume, said 2.90 seconds is considered the speed an NBA player needs to play point guard. The pair of 18-year-olds are faster than that without even beginning to see the benefits of Purdue's strength and conditioning program. To put that into perspective, Thompson was running about 3.01 to 3.03 when he first stepped on Purdue's campus.

I haven't heard anything about that league actually moving in to being a thing

Pinson is highly regarded and plays on one of the best high school teams in the country (Simeon). Pinson holds offers from Missouri, Wisconsin, Dayton, Georgetown, and Memphis. He is a pretty well regarded recruit and holds better offers than a few guys on Purdue's roster right now. After around 80-100, the rankings are a bit hard to follow. The top guys are clearly better (as we have all seen), but the guys in those lower level rankings (100-300) could simply need another year or two to really reach their ceiling whereas some of those higher guys have already hit it or gotten close. For example, a great quote from Turgeon about Vince was that he didn't remember Vince being that athletic before...and that was with Vince being incredibly sick. Some of these guys just need a better direction, better weight program, and a focused vision from a college coach to get better.

As a comparison:
PJ Thompson: 354 (75 PG): Offers from Purdue, Toledo, ISU, Ball State, DePaul
Dakota Mathias: 218 (51 SG): Offers from Purdue, Akron, WVU, Dayton, BC
Matt Haarms: 354 (34 C): Offer from Purdue
Vince Edwards: 121 (31 SF): Offers from Purdue, Xavier, WVU, Vandy, Michigan, Dayton
Aaron Wheeler: 171 (38 SF): Offers from Purdue, Creighton, NU, Rhode Island, Providence, St. Louis
Sasha Stefanovic: 374 (84 SG): Offers from Purdue, Xavier, DePaul, Ball State, ISU, Illinois State
Ryan Cline: 159 (45 SG): Offers from Purdue, Ball State, Lipscomb, Belmont, Northern Kentucky
Jaquil Taylor: 249 (63 PF): Offers from Purdue, BC, Temple, VCU, Providence
Carsen Edwards: 118 (25 PG): Offers from Purdue, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Texas Tech, Vandy, VT

The guys on Purdue's current roster that were top 100 guys for their classes are:
Nojel Eastern: 68 (15 SF): Offers from Purdue, MSU, Seton Hall, OSU, DePaul, Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Michigan, NU, Xavier
Isaac Haas: 82 (10 C): Offers from Purdue, Texas A&M, UAB, Wake Forest, WVU, Tenn, UCLA, Texas, Stanford, Georgia, FSU, Clemson, Butler, Baylor, Auburn, Alabama

That fact that many overlook how great CMP and his staff are at identifying talent blows my mind. What other coach in the country do you think could do what CMP has done with this roster? What other coach do you think could identify these players, recruit these players, and then fit them together in a way to be as successful as Purdue has been over the last 3 1/2 season?

Good write-up. I think after the Terone/Anthony Johnson years when we had a bunch of guys who weren't great shooters but strengths were driving to the rim....Painter figured out he needed a better mixture of players to put on the court that complimented each others abilities. So he started making sure he recruited 1 really good shooter in each class which has allowed the forwards and centers more room to work and has made the offense go (Mathias, Cline, Carsen, Sasha, Hunter). He also started looking for 4 men that were more versatile. I think his only downfall until Carsen was not finding guards who were threats to dribble, pass and shoot. But he found Carsen and now Nojel and Hunter are going to be big-time players as well. So I do think Painter has grown as a coach and recruiter in identifying the type of player he needs to fit what he wants to do, and we are seeing the results this season.

Just needs to do something in the Tournament and all of his critics (myself included) will be satisfied.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
It’s the most important decision in his young life. I just don’t see why he should have to follow a fan base time table. If I am him, my priority list is
  1. myself and family,
Perspective.

You, Johnny, and a couple others are bringing an eerie amount of rationality to the board today. Better be careful with that, or folks might check out the forum and get the impression we're reasonable people.

You simply won’t give up beating that tired old drum will you? Bonefish, I am actually embarrassed for you when you get started on this same old song. What in the heck did PJ ever do to you because you have really made this personal....I realize we all don’t have to agree about everything but PJ is 25% of this Senior Class. He has worked long and hard and given his all to Purdue. He is who CMP wants on the point or he wouldn’t be there. Are you really so egocentric that you think you know so much better? Please move on and give PJ his due.

You simply won’t give up beating that tired old drum will you? Bonefish, I am actually embarrassed for you when you get started on this same old song. What in the heck did PJ ever do to you because you have really made this personal....I realize we all don’t have to agree about everything but PJ is 25% of this Senior Class. He has worked long and hard and given his all to Purdue. He is who CMP wants on the point or he wouldn’t be there. Are you really so egocentric that you think you know so much better? Please move on and give PJ his due.

PJ deserves nothing but praise and respect. Seriously. Without him, all of this falls apart. The young man is an indispensable part of what we do. I'm so thankful he decided to be a Boiler.

1. myself and family,
Perspective.
I strongly agree with those thoughts. As I have posted take all the time needed, think carefully, choose as wisely and thoughtfully as possible, make your decision then announce it.
No one makes these kids set and publish any timelines, apart from the fact that schools may give "their scholarship" to another, rather they choose to do so on their own and seemingly do so solely for the publicity they expect it to create.
It is the utilization of the decision making as an ongoing self-aggrandizing methodology by an athlete and media that I object to and detest. For instance, I am nauseated each time I see some kid sitting with 4 or 5 hats and faking a pickup of one.
Trashy and immature.

Reactions: Purdue85
PJ is not why we lost to Kansas. He didn't make a shot for them.

Could it be that the board speculation is...
Wrong?
I don't recall seeing an explanation out of Tyger on why he decommitted in the 1st place. Maybe I missed it.. Anyway, I believe that it was him that set the announcement date and I don't think that is is unreasonable for the fan bases of those 4 teams to expect at least some kind of explanation of why that date wasn't kept.

Reactions: Cleanface
You have to take what bonefish says with a massive grain of salt. He is a crotchety old man that is just here to gripe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT