ADVERTISEMENT

Twitter says Braden Smith just committed to Purdue

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, Morton was the 2019-20 Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Pennsylvania. If he's healthy he'll be just fine.
Now see, you can't go and use things like facts on karenfish. He doesn't like those very much and will only change the goalposts.

With all due respect, Morton was the 2019-20 Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Pennsylvania. If he's healthy he'll be just fine.
Which just goes to show you that high school rankings and accolades really don't mean much other than hype at this level.

That being said, I really like Braden Smith and despite what some IU fans think would have welcomed him in Bloomington. He plays with an edge and gives 110% every time. Reminds me a ton of Jordan Hulls...with a little more athleticism. Might not be as pure of a shooter, but definitely has game.

Now see, you can't go and use things like facts on karenfish. He doesn't like those very much and will only change the goalposts.
I haven't said anything about Morton other than he didn't perform up to expectations this year (yeh, I know he had mono......)
I think Morton can still be a good player, but it was disappointing he couldn't get on the floor, even late in the season when IT was struggling.

Which just goes to show you that high school rankings and accolades really don't mean much other than hype at this level.

That being said, I really like Braden Smith and despite what some IU fans think would have welcomed him in Bloomington. He plays with an edge and gives 110% every time. Reminds me a ton of Jordan Hulls...with a little more athleticism. Might not be as pure of a shooter, but definitely has game.

I realize some have downplayed it or doubted the level of its impact.....however, there was the mononucleosis issue with Ethan Morton. Let's see how he factors in with a clean bill of health and the runway to develop minutes and rhythm. Also, I like what Braden Smith can bring - and a good fit for what CMP is continuing to build, IMHO.

Reactions: Level 42
I would love nothing more than for Smith to be a contributor on a FF and NC team.

The pickup just doesn't get me too excited.
I am sure you weren't excited about Edey either. Painter saw something in Smith and I guarantee he has forgotten more about evaluating talent you will ever know. That is a fact.

I am sure you weren't excited about Edey either. Painter saw something in Smith and I guarantee he has forgotten more about evaluating talent you will ever know. That is a fact.

Actually, I was excited about Edey because of his hockey and bball background. I like multisport athletes, especially bigs. He wasn't a complete stiff in the recruiting videos I watched so I thought he'd be able to contribute.

Actually, I was excited about Edey because of his hockey and bball background. I like multisport athletes, especially bigs. He wasn't a complete stiff in the recruiting videos I watched so I thought he'd be able to contribute.
You compared him to Matt ten Dam. You said he was another big white stiff.

Revisionist history much?

Reactions: Level 42
Well if you know basketball and you've noticed the glaring absence of a quarterback type pg on the Boiler team, then you can get pretty darn excited about Smith coming to town. ;)
What do you mean by a QB PG on the team? We have PGs, they're just not that solid.

What we need is someone who can score at all 3 levels, get their own shot, break down the D, penetrate and finish. You don't need to designate him as a PG, be he needs to be able to score, not just dump the ball into the post.

Let's hope and pray that he's better than Hulls.

Reactions: tenwest
Jordon Hulls....one of the most over-rated players ever at IU. Nice kid...so-so player who's made a decent living playing in obscure leagues in Europe. His sister and grandpa were both better.
He's a career 45% 3 point shooter, those don't grow on trees. At least spell his name right.

What do you mean by a QB PG on the team? We have PGs, they're just not that solid.

What we need is someone who can score at all 3 levels, get their own shot, break down the D, penetrate and finish. You don't need to designate him as a PG, be he needs to be able to score, not just dump the ball into the post.
NOPE

How about we only recruit and play all 5 starters who can "get their own shot, break down the D, penetrate and finish"? We don't need guys to defend, guys who can pass, guys who can rebound, or a big who can score in the post. That's what you want, right? Let's just play 5 guards in the mould of your vision.

How about we only recruit and play all 5 starters who can "get their own shot, break down the D, penetrate and finish"? We don't need guys to defend, guys who can pass, guys who can rebound, or a big who can score in the post. That's what you want, right? Let's just play 5 guards in the mould of your vision.

I wouldn't mind some 4G and a 6'9 forward lineup if all those guys can score. i'm not convinced that a 7 ft low post player is a key ingredient to success unless that guy can also play the pick n pop, shoot from outside, etc.
As far as defending, I'll always trade offense for defense. Every time.
Spreading the floor and creating space for guys to create seems to work pretty well.

I wouldn't mind some 4G and a 6'9 forward lineup if all those guys can score. i'm not convinced that a 7 ft low post player is a key ingredient to success unless that guy can also play the pick n pop, shoot from outside, etc.
As far as defending, I'll always trade offense for defense. Every time.
Spreading the floor and creating space for guys to create seems to work pretty well.
Baylor had two bigs that didn't attempt a 3 point shot all year and probably didn't leave the paint. Thamba was 6'10", played 15 MPG, and scored 3 PPG. Tchatchoua was 6'8", played 20 MPG, and scored about 7 PPG. They seemed to be successful with those two guys.

Gonzaga had Timme at 6'10". He attempted less than 1 three pointer a game and shot less than 30% at it. He may have been good at the pick and pop, as you say, but he wasn't an outside shooter.

Do you even look at what other successful programs do before you post this shit?

Baylor had two bigs that didn't attempt a 3 point shot all year and probably didn't leave the paint. Thamba was 6'10", played 15 MPG, and scored 3 PPG. Tchatchoua was 6'8", played 20 MPG, and scored about 7 PPG. They seemed to be successful with those two guys.

Gonzaga had Timme at 6'10". He attempted less than 1 three pointer a game and shot less than 30% at it. He may have been good at the pick and pop, as you say, but he wasn't an outside shooter.

Do you even look at what other successful programs do before you post this shit?
Baylor had 3 guards who averaged between 14-17 pts/game. That's the formula I'm talking about.

We will not know until Braden Smith steps on the floor for a Big Ten game, but from watching his AAU highlights he would be a big upgrade from PJ Thompson. PJ could not create and dish to the open man. He could dribble the ball down down the floor, reverse the ball around the floor, he limited his turnovers and hit wide open spot up three's. From the limited AAU highlights i have seen from this year, Smith is a completely different point guard. He iss able to push the ball up the court, take it to the hoop and score with contact, draw contact and pitch for assists, score on pull up jumpers and spot up three and in one highlight he was at rim height for a tip in.
He has a year to get stronger and mature and plays in one of the toughest conferences in Indiana. He is a Boiler and I look forward to see what he has when he steps on the floor in the Gold and Black for the first time. I'm not saying he is the next John Stockton, but remember, Stockton was only 6'-1" and 170 LBS and is a Hall of Famer.

5 Ronnie Johnsons. That's the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT