ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

Finally got in on FCEL on the dip this morning. Way late to the party but feeling OK with a 7% gain this morning.

Reactions: 70boiler
Zomedica is up about 600% in the last month. Coming out with a new pet diagnostic machine, sales start in March, significantly better than the competition apparently and it's a $3b market.

Got in yesterday with at $0.89.

Zomedica is up about 600% in the last month. Coming out with a new pet diagnostic machine, sales start in March, significantly better than the competition apparently and it's a $3b market.

Got in yesterday with at $0.89.

Nice trade. Up 45% already. This my be a case of buy on the rumor, sell on the news. Or at least put in a stop loss order to protect that nice upside.

Nice trade. Up 45% already. This my be a case of buy on the rumor, sell on the news. Or at least put in a stop loss order to protect that nice upside.

Just had some dividend $$ sitting around. So I probably will just let it go into March and see how sales go.

Do you only invest in individual stocks or do you have ETFs too, such as PBW?
I have been in and out of ETFs but, candidly, its like investing in Mutuals. That's what my Fidelity managed retirement account is into. In the last year or so I have pretty much kept my "play" account individual stocks and have leaned toward pennies or near pennies. In part, it started this way as entertainment, but probably moreso, that my granddaughter who is at college became interested in the market and this provides a very nice conduit for texting in a totally new and very interesting way. I must say that I am quite proud of her current 5 fold return during the year.

I have been in and out of ETFs but, candidly, its like investing in Mutuals. That's what my Fidelity managed retirement account is into. In the last year or so I have pretty much kept my "play" account individual stocks and have leaned toward pennies or near pennies. In part, it started this way as entertainment, but probably moreso, that my granddaughter who is at college became interested in the market and this provides a very nice conduit for texting in a totally new and very interesting way. I must say that I am quite proud of her current 5 fold return during the year.
The reason I ask is that PBW contains FCEL and a lot of the hot Clean energy plays talked about here recently.

The reason I ask is that PBW contains FCEL and a lot of the hot Clean energy plays talked about here recently.
It certainly has done pretty well, but to me its limitation is what is also its benefit, i.e. the broadness of the holdings. Their portfolio seems to be broken into approximate 2% segments. Obviously the diversification provides long term stability, but it also conversely limits the value of volatility.
It makes perfect sense as a longer term vehicle than I was looking for.
I'm not at all against investing in ETFs, and as a general proposition think they are excellent passive vehicles, and allow a far more focused investing vehicle than Mutuals.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
It certainly has done pretty well, but to me its limitation is what is also its benefit, i.e. the broadness of the holdings. Their portfolio seems to be broken into approximate 2% segments. Obviously the diversification provides long term stability, but it also conversely limits the value of volatility.
It makes perfect sense as a longer term vehicle than I was looking for.
I'm not at all against investing in ETFs, and as a general proposition think they are excellent passive vehicles, and allow a far more focused investing vehicle than Mutuals.
Understand completely. Individual stocks can mean much bigger gains and also much bigger losses. With my job, I have trouble spending enough time analyzing these small growth stocks. My mom has done very well with AAPL for instance. She went in 10 years ago. I was fortunate with NVDA. Maybe I should just becoming a full-time investor? 😬

Reactions: SKYDOG and 70boiler
Understand completely. Individual stocks can mean much bigger gains and also much bigger losses. With my job, I have trouble spending enough time analyzing these small growth stocks. My mom has done very well with AAPL for instance. She went in 10 years ago. I was fortunate with NVDA. Maybe I should just becoming a full-time investor? 😬

I think the idea of "researching" individual stocks is overblown. As an individual investor, and someone who's not a professional analyst, how granular do you think you're going to be able to get in your assessment of whether a stock is a solid investment?
You can read articles, you can look at financial information, listen to earnings calls, etc, but unless analyzing is your full time job, you're barely scratching the surface.
For my 'gambling' money, I'm a chart and momentum investor. Sure, before I pull the trigger on a stock I might do a little analysis but unless you know really know what your doing, it's sort of meaningless.

I think the idea of "researching" individual stocks is overblown. As an individual investor, and someone who's not a professional analyst, how granular do you think you're going to be able to get in your assessment of whether a stock is a solid investment?
You can read articles, you can look at financial information, listen to earnings calls, etc, but unless analyzing is your full time job, you're barely scratching the surface.
For my 'gambling' money, I'm a chart and momentum investor. Sure, before I pull the trigger on a stock I might do a little analysis but unless you know really know what your doing, it's sort of meaningless.
How do you know what I know about stock analysis or don't know?

I don’t. You might be a helluva an analyst. I’m was just basing on the comments you made about Apple and NVDA.
Well, my mom did the "analysis" on AAPL. She happened to pick that one well and she has been handsomely rewarded.

I have had positions in semiconductors for a number of years. NVDA has long been on my radar and about 5 years ago I took a good position in it. It's worked out so far. They've only gotten better over time. I try to use instincts and some readily-available data and metrics to help inform decisions. The way I do it, it's much harder to look at small companies without something of a track record and try to predict FCFs when they aren't close to making profits. Some of these clean energy stocks seem overextended right now to me. That said, FCEL and PLUG might be the next big things in that space.

Back in the dot com days I made some bad choices and got burned. I learned that I'm not a great day trader.

Well, my mom did the "analysis" on AAPL. She happened to pick that one well and she has been handsomely rewarded.

I have had positions in semiconductors for a number of years. NVDA has long been on my radar and about 5 years ago I took a good position in it. It's worked out so far. They've only gotten better over time. I try to use instincts and some readily-available data and metrics to help inform decisions. The way I do it, it's much harder to look at small companies without something of a track record and try to predict FCFs when they aren't close to making profits. Some of these clean energy stocks seem overextended right now to me. That said, FCEL and PLUG might be the next big things in that space.

Back in the dot com days I made some bad choices and got burned. I learned that I'm not a great day trader.
Have you ever subscribed to Motley Fool Rule Breakers ? David Gardner runs that service and he has been on quite the run over the years. Crushes the S&P regularly.

That's my point: A lot of the stocks discussed on this thread by the regulars like 70 and myself are highly speculative and ones most people have never heard of. Biotechs, alternative energy, emerging markets, microcaps, it's as close to gambling as you can get. Usually, there's not even much data to analyze, so you're going off rumor, momentum, intuition, etc. We're not discussing blue chips, we're looking at those stocks that can provide a 20%-500% pop.
It's not an incredibly sophisticated way to make investment decisions and you have to be able to withstand big volatility, but it's fun and can be very financially rewarding (or punishing when you guess wrong).

That's my point: A lot of the stocks discussed on this thread by the regulars like 70 and myself are highly speculative and ones most people have never heard of. Biotechs, alternative energy, emerging markets, microcaps, it's as close to gambling as you can get. Usually, there's not even much data to analyze, so you're going off rumor, momentum, intuition, etc. We're not discussing blue chips, we're looking at those stocks that can provide a 20%-500% pop.
It's not an incredibly sophisticated way to make investment decisions and you have to be able to withstand big volatility, but it's fun and can be very financially rewarding (or punishing when you guess wrong).
Speaking of speculatives, I notice that HYSR is avoiding the H2 sector tanking today, and is up over 10% this morning...booyah Sun...

Speaking of speculatives, I notice that HYSR is avoiding the H2 sector tanking today, and is up over 10% this morning...booyah Sun...

Yeh, I finally took your recommendation and pick it up last week. I think I'm up 30% of so.

Buddy of mine wanted me to look at CCIV. He thinks it's the next Tesla.

Yeh, I finally took your recommendation and pick it up last week. I think I'm up 30% of so.

Buddy of mine wanted me to look at CCIV. He thinks it's the next Tesla.

Glad to hear it. I have been pretty happy with what HYSR has done... up a bit over 100% for me in 2 weeks.

Ugh, getting beaten like an evil stepchild today...
But, given HYSR holding support at .20 during the morning sell off, I think that I am going to add 25% to my stake. Zoom...zoom...to the moon...OR...zoom...zoom...I am such a loon? Time will tell.

damn...my trailing stop loss on CPST triggered a sell today at $11.48. I made almost 300% on it but I think it's got more room to run. Will probably put in a limit order in case it drops again.

Ugh, getting beaten like an evil stepchild today...
But, given HYSR holding support at .20 during the morning sell off, I think that I am going to add 25% to my stake. Zoom...zoom...to the moon...OR...zoom...zoom...I am such a loon? Time will tell.

Being on a clean energy kick right now, I bought ACTC even though it's surging right now.

damn...my trailing stop loss on CPST triggered a sell today at $11.48. I made almost 300% on it but I think it's got more room to run. Will probably put in a limit order in case it drops again.
I've pretty much stopped using stop losses on anything that I think has reasonable upward space and am inclined to hold. Since I trade in a cash account I have seen a number of situations where the triggering of stop loss and related buy backs could have pretty easily led to trading violations. I realize that a margin account might solve many, if not all of those, but the switch to margin would probably create pattern day trading problems.
The system is really not designed to make it easy for the small non-institutional investor, although I understand the reasons.

Was that due to the ipo launch?
I don't think it was a true IPO (is there going to be one, given I assumed this situation was the usual absorption of a private holding by a special use public entity?), but likely had been resultant from the merger with Proterra. I didn't look closely at dates but assumed some correlation.
This was a SPAC merger wasn't it?

crazy market reaction to the GA runoff. I can't figure it out....
Did pick up some more OCGN. I originally bought when it was about .50, then it rocketed up on the news that they were developing a covid vaccine with a leading biotech company in India.
Bought more at $2.60 based on some new info and analysts ratings.
I kinda expect a bump up in OCGN this week resulting from chairman's upcoming presentation to be given at Noble Microcap Investors' Conference.

I'm up 45% on HYSR (for 10k more shares last week, so cost basis of .16) and 36% on OCGN.

Have you made any options plays? I'm eyeballing TRIL
Alternative energy related have just been so very good to me, I hardly know what to say.
HYSR +100%
PLUG +880%
FCEL +790% (actual, but less in listed basis due to sales and buy backs)
BLDP +265%
NIO +150%
LI +37%

I've never really worked options, mostly because my ability to watch is so scattered and erratic. I realize that is pretty silly, but just never seem to get around to bothering to think through purchases and reasonable exit points. My loss, unquestionably.
EDIT- Forgot earlier... looking at BSRC as an additional pick

Last edited:
Alternative energy related have just been so very good to me, I hardly know what to say.
HYSR +100%
PLUG +880%
FCEL +790% (actual, but less in listed basis due to sales and buy backs)
BLDP +265%
NIO +150%
LI +37%

I've never really worked options, mostly because my ability to watch is so scattered and erratic. I realize that is pretty silly, but just never seem to get around to bothering to think through purchases and reasonable exit points. My loss, unquestionably.
EDIT- Forgot earlier... looking at BSRC as an additional pick
orth
FCEL, PLUG and BLDP all running north. Selling my BLDP at 9 hurts right now even though that was a 100% gain at the time.
Up 3-7% across the portfolio but HYSR and PSNL having very good days for me.

orth
FCEL, PLUG and BLDP all running north. Selling my BLDP at 9 hurts right now even though that was a 100% gain at the time.
Up 3-7% across the portfolio but HYSR and PSNL having very good days for me.
Glad to hear it was a nice green day.
I only kept a few shares of BLDP and keep thinking that I might as well let them go, but I think that I have become attached to them like my old dog.
My two self managed accounts were up 12.6% today, so I may have to have a drink in a while.
Lol...given the volatility that these have had, I probably will have 2 drinks tomorrow when they're down 15%...

FCEL report miss on earnings has driven its PreMarket price down.
I actually thought the estimate had been too optimistic so no surprise there.
The revenues weren't bad.
Debt is essentially zero at this point, also.
Guidance and t/f report will be interesting.
My guess is that today sees FCEL green.

ouch. bad start to the day for me across the board.

I did buy some options the other day.
March 19 calls
Tril: 17.50
FCEL 21
We'll see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT