ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

Judging by post and pre markets that i am seeing, I have accepted this is likely to be another day where I bend over and utter the famous words "Thank you, sir. May I have another?"
Hopefully, my paddling today will be gentle...

My chart is a blood bath right now. Somebody make it stop!

Reactions: 70boiler
Judging by post and pre markets that i am seeing, I have accepted this is likely to be another day where I bend over and utter the famous words "Thank you, sir. May I have another?"
Have you noticed that Friday after 12:00 Noon tends to be when the selling takes place?

Okay, here's one for ya'll to check out....I have a buy order in for low 19's which may happen today. for Annovis Bio....ANVS. Third stage of clinical s with potential treatment/cure for Alzheimer's that look very promising. Just saying this might be huge if "rumors" are true.

Annovis Bio, Inc. is a clinical stage, drug platform company. The Company is focused on addressing neurodegeneration, such as Alzheimer’s disease in Down syndrome (AD-DS), Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and Parkinson’s disease (PD). The Company is engaged in developing drugs that normalize the transport of information within and between nerve cells, called axonal transport.

AND THE BIG NEWS FROM YESTERDAY:

• Annovis Bio (ANVS +30.0%) announces that the European Patent Office (EPO) has granted it a patent for a method of treating acute nerve and brain injuries by administering ANVS405 therapy after the injury.
  • ANVS401 and ANVS405 are Annovis' drug candidates that aim to treat chronic and acute indications like Alzheimer's disease (AD) and Parkinson's disease (PD).
  • The company is conducting two Phase 2 studies to show that its lead drug ANVS401 protects the nerve cells from dying in both AD and PD patients.

Have you noticed that Friday after 12:00 Noon tends to be when the selling takes place?
Yes.
I always figure it to be a combination of short term swing traders, profit takers, day traders and less committed holders each cashing out prior to the uncertainty of a weekend when the world can change and there is very limited capability to protect holdings. That also seemed consistent with the increase of activity prior to a long week end where American markets are closed, such as this weekend. While I love long weeken

My chart is a blood bath right now. Somebody make it stop!
My thanks to any market players who were able to help to keep me green today...

Just some musings for all -
When Warren Buffett/Hathaway paid nearly $10B for Dominion Energy and its natural gas pipelines I was a bit surprised by its locking into a fossil fuel based enterprise but wrote it down as an estimate that the inherently declining amounts might naturally cause an increase in value and a related increase in value of transportation of it, although that seemed a bit of a weak argument.
The more I have thought about and considered alternatives, the more I have come to suspect that it very well may be a far more forward thinking purchase given the ability to convert natural gas pipeline to hydrogen pipeline. I recently read an article in Bloomberg that was pretty enlightening about hydrogen power in general with a fair amount of information devoted to pipeline transitioning...

Just some musings for all -
When Warren Buffett/Hathaway paid nearly $10B for Dominion Energy and its natural gas pipelines I was a bit surprised by its locking into a fossil fuel based enterprise but wrote it down as an estimate that the inherently declining amounts might naturally cause an increase in value and a related increase in value of transportation of it, although that seemed a bit of a weak argument.
The more I have thought about and considered alternatives, the more I have come to suspect that it very well may be a far more forward thinking purchase given the ability to convert natural gas pipeline to hydrogen pipeline. I recently read an article in Bloomberg that was pretty enlightening about hydrogen power in general with a fair amount of information devoted to pipeline transitioning...

the blood bath continues for me today. The alt/renewable/green energy stocks I have right now are:
HYSR
BEP
ACTC
ITMPF
FCEL

Might be a good day to buy in as most are down.

the blood bath continues for me today. The alt/renewable/green energy stocks I have right now are:
HYSR
BEP
ACTC
ITMPF
FCEL

Any connection between this and the Berkshire/Chevron news?
Given that Chevron and BP have seemingly begun some movement to non-fossil areas I would think if there is a connection, whoever is making it is not on solid ground in their analysis.

HYSR
BEP
ACTC
ITMPF
FCEL

Unfortunately, I am guessing they may continue to drop a bit more. Abbott's, seemingly misleading, comments about Texas issues being caused by non-fossil energy sources, while slowly being being shown to be inaccurate/incomplete, will continue to take a toll on these equities.

On a different note, two buddies have been talking to me about CCIV back when it was in the teens about 4 weeks ago. I should have listened. Up over 50 now.

Reactions: 70boiler
Oil companies are doing quite well, picked up some cheap back in March and am enjoying the returns to this point. Also works as a nice hedge against the alternative energy sector.

BlackRock has updated its 2021 economic outlook today. It has moved most markets to overweight...
BlackRock Investment Institute adjusted 2021 global outlook

Oil companies are doing quite well, picked up some cheap back in March and am enjoying the returns to this point. Also works as a nice hedge against the alternative energy sector.
Do you think the oil trade will continue or the run is about over? People were talking a few months ago oil stocks were not investable. They certainly were wrong big time on this.

Do you think the oil trade will continue or the run is about over? People were talking a few months ago oil stocks were not investable. They certainly were wrong big time on this.

I don't really know. OPEC or OPEC+ or w.e seems intent on limiting production and I have heard rumors of $5 per gallon gas come June/July. Haven't done enough research into it with how oil price impacts stock price

Time to revive this thread? Hope everyone is doing well.

Overall, doing well. Sold some stocks added to my portfolio in Nov 2020 that did not fit into long term plan. Did OK, short term gain of 30-50% for all. Long term looking to add new additional high quality dividend payers to my portfolio.

Regional Bank stocks added in the past 12 months are all doing very well. Up 80-110 percent. And that excludes dividends. Quarterly dividends are great!

Added a few shares to my core stocks. Will be adding more over the next 3-6 months. Did take a little profit from traditional IRA and converted some traditional IRA to a ROTH.

US economy - indicators watched for most part doing well. No issue with yield curve. Light truck sales above Feb 2020 number. Think small business entrepreneurs. Vehicle miles driven still below Feb 2020. Inflation could become a problem very quickly.

I don't really touch my 401K/IRA stuff. Have most of that in diversified Fidelity MFs or ETFs.
My gambling account has been smashed for the last few months. Made a few sizable gambles during the Reddit run up in Feb and came up craps.
Most of my biotech, alt energy, stuff has been beat down pretty good as well.
Started buying some call options here and there and probably about came out even.

Getting into crypto a little bit. Haven't bought Bitcoin yet but have acquired XRP, Cardano, and Polygon.

Short-term: Currently having a great year (up about 90%), due to biotech, rare earths and precious metal miners. However, I am now thinking defensively as the market is long in the tooth, the summer is here and inflation is roaring. With that in mind, I am now about 30% cash and may go to 50% soon, while primarily focused on precious metals . More specifically, I recently sold my GOLD (Barrick position) and some of LYSCF (rare earths) expecting a market pullback and buying some Dec /Jan Calls on AUY and IAG which I thought were cheap given our inflation situation.

Summer: I think the summer will be all about inflation and the June changes to banks (will no longer be able to get credit for holding Gold "paper" on their books - will have to hold more physical gold. My guess is that both will support more Gold buying and gold prices. I am hoping that the overall market will pull back in the summer and pull some of the miners with it with the margin calls (ie GOLD, IAG, SSRM, AXU, etc..) IF . . . it happens, I will be first looking to add some CALL options on them in Sept if it's a BIG pullback (10-20%) or Dec/Jan if it's a small pullback. My view is that Gold and Silver prices will rally throughout the summer with the FED unable to do anything until employment gets back to pre-pandemic numbers. Any early rate hikes will cause chaos in the market and could trigger global liquidity issues. I therefore think the summer is going to be a good environment for gold and silver investing. (ie inflation, no FED change, growing profitability) I will reassess my approach in August before the FED meets & talks. While I do NOT expect any rate hike in the Fall, we "Could" see them beginning to "talk" about that topic if inflation burns hot over the summer (which I expect) That could potentially cause gold prices and miners to pull back in the early Fall, as the bond market and the dollar could rally from lows which such rate talk.

On-going: We are entering uncharted waters with all of the world-wide debt AND interest rates being virtually nothing. ANY upward move on interest rates will cause chaos. I am therefore preparing for major turbulence again, while hoping for the best. More specifically, I am buying Gold and Silver coins and making improvement to my house, which should hold their value.

I hope all of you are well, as we try to exit this pandemic. The faster we get vaccinated, the faster we get back to something closer to normal, but . . I still expect another year of muck because many will NOT get vaccinated. That could bring another strain of COVID to our shores at a particularly bad time for it.

Reactions: M51 and SKYDOG
Time to revive this thread? Hope everyone is doing well.

Overall, doing well. Sold some stocks added to my portfolio in Nov 2020 that did not fit into long term plan. Did OK, short term gain of 30-50% for all. Long term looking to add new additional high quality dividend payers to my portfolio.

Regional Bank stocks added in the past 12 months are all doing very well. Up 80-110 percent. And that excludes dividends. Quarterly dividends are great!

Added a few shares to my core stocks. Will be adding more over the next 3-6 months. Did take a little profit from traditional IRA and converted some traditional IRA to a ROTH.

US economy - indicators watched for most part doing well. No issue with yield curve. Light truck sales above Feb 2020 number. Think small business entrepreneurs. Vehicle miles driven still below Feb 2020. Inflation could become a problem very quickly.
I think you made some very smart moves and can tell that you have a good financial background. Impressive gains and insights. What's your take on the economy and interest rates for the balance of the year?

I think you made some very smart moves and can tell that you have a good financial background. Impressive gains and insights. What's your take on the economy and interest rates for the balance of the year?
The Fed says it will hold interest rates steady into late 2022 or early 2023. Continued inflationary trends could test them. Overall as noted in prior post, the economy is doing well. A couple indicators that are still below Feb 2020 are vehicle miles driven and employment numbers. Working at home does have some impact on the miles number. People have to be willing to work. Good to see some governors are dropping the additional unemployment money from the Feds. No issue with the 10 yr yield curve. Gold, copper and oil prices are all strong.

Thanks on the compliment. Lot of reading and research. I too dabble a little in precious coins. Have purchased some silver dollar proofs the last 3-4 years. Most of my silver coins were purchased in the mid ‘80s.

You are doing well too. More sophisticated buying than me.

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
Short-term: Currently having a great year (up about 90%), due to biotech, rare earths and precious metal miners. However, I am now thinking defensively as the market is long in the tooth, the summer is here and inflation is roaring. With that in mind, I am now about 30% cash and may go to 50% soon, while primarily focused on precious metals . More specifically, I recently sold my GOLD (Barrick position) and some of LYSCF (rare earths) expecting a market pullback and buying some Dec /Jan Calls on AUY and IAG which I thought were cheap given our inflation situation.

Summer: I think the summer will be all about inflation and the June changes to banks (will no longer be able to get credit for holding Gold "paper" on their books - will have to hold more physical gold. My guess is that both will support more Gold buying and gold prices. I am hoping that the overall market will pull back in the summer and pull some of the miners with it with the margin calls (ie GOLD, IAG, SSRM, AXU, etc..) IF . . . it happens, I will be first looking to add some CALL options on them in Sept if it's a BIG pullback (10-20%) or Dec/Jan if it's a small pullback. My view is that Gold and Silver prices will rally throughout the summer with the FED unable to do anything until employment gets back to pre-pandemic numbers. Any early rate hikes will cause chaos in the market and could trigger global liquidity issues. I therefore think the summer is going to be a good environment for gold and silver investing. (ie inflation, no FED change, growing profitability) I will reassess my approach in August before the FED meets & talks. While I do NOT expect any rate hike in the Fall, we "Could" see them beginning to "talk" about that topic if inflation burns hot over the summer (which I expect) That could potentially cause gold prices and miners to pull back in the early Fall, as the bond market and the dollar could rally from lows which such rate talk.

On-going: We are entering uncharted waters with all of the world-wide debt AND interest rates being virtually nothing. ANY upward move on interest rates will cause chaos. I am therefore preparing for major turbulence again, while hoping for the best. More specifically, I am buying Gold and Silver coins and making improvement to my house, which should hold their value.

I hope all of you are well, as we try to exit this pandemic. The faster we get vaccinated, the faster we get back to something closer to normal, but . . I still expect another year of muck because many will NOT get vaccinated. That could bring another strain of COVID to our shores at a particularly bad time for it.
If you don’t mind me asking, which biotech stocks have you been in? CRSP? EDIT?

The Fed says it will hold interest rates steady into late 2022 or early 2023. Continued inflationary trends could test them. Overall as noted in prior post, the economy is doing well. A couple indicators that are still below Feb 2020 are vehicle miles driven and employment numbers. Working at home does have some impact on the miles number. People have to be willing to work. Good to see some governors are dropping the additional unemployment money from the Feds. No issue with the 10 yr yield curve. Gold, copper and oil prices are all strong.

Thanks on the compliment. Lot of reading and research. I too dabble a little in precious coins. Have purchased some silver dollar proofs the last 3-4 years. Most of my silver coins were purchased in the mid ‘80s.

You are doing well too. More sophisticated buying than me.
Thanks for your thoughts ! We read the interest rates the same way. I think the inflation numbers will run hot enough that the FED may have to start "talking" about rate hikes in August in an attempt to cool down the speculation, etc.. That's when I am currently planning to cash in on some of my Call options. (Then add some after any kind of pullback) For the most part, I have been very conservative over the years, probably like you, and haven't used options contracts. But the set up for precious metals / miners just look too good to me not to use a little more leverage this year. FYI - I also have purchased a few proofs in recent years (Primarily in the low volume production years & from San Francisco Mint location which have also had some low volume mints recently) I am also starting to buy good coins from our allies (Canada, UK, Australia) in case things ever get bad enough that the government tries to confiscate them like they did in the 30s. Most should be looked at as collectibles and hopefully they can be passed on to my kids some day. I am also buying annual coins for my grandkids, rather than bonds, etc..

Question # 2: Do you think the FED will be able to tap down inflation after the genie is out of the bottle? My bet is no in the short term (next 2 -3 years) I think it's going to be a necessary evil to avoid the alternative (Severe recession / depression) Biggest problem is ANY rate increase will be a huge jump (percentage wise) on all outstanding loans, credit, etc.. That's bound to cause some liquidity issues around the world (Everyone is fully levered up to lower rates)

Reactions: SKYDOG
If you don’t mind me asking, which biotech stocks have you been in? CRSP? EDIT?
Not at all. Good or bad, I have a strong interest in the potential and new markets in the medicinal cannabis area, so I initially traded things like GW Pharma and a little obscure company that seemed to have promising research "at the time" (KALTF -Kalytera) although I am now steering clear of the latter as they have VERY POOR mgmt and gave away the research I was interested in (Host Graft Disease). I just got lucky with my timing and took my gains to stocks like GW Pharma & Grown Rogue (GRUSF) which moved into the Michigan medical market, which is a BIG medical cannabis state.

I am SURE you are better suited for "traditional" biotech than me - It takes a LOT of experience, conviction and patience although there can be BIG paydays in that area. I just realize, after trying it, that I have skill sets which are better matched to other industries/markets.

Not at all. Good or bad, I have a strong interest in the potential and new markets in the medicinal cannabis area, so I initially traded things like GW Pharma and a little obscure company that seemed to have promising research "at the time" (KALTF -Kalytera) although I am now steering clear of the latter as they have VERY POOR mgmt and gave away the research I was interested in (Host Graft Disease). I just got lucky with my timing and took my gains to stocks like GW Pharma & Grown Rogue (GRUSF) which moved into the Michigan medical market, which is a BIG medical cannabis state.

I am SURE you are better suited for "traditional" biotech than me - It takes a LOT of experience, conviction and patience although there can be BIG paydays in that area. I just realize, after trying it, that I have skill sets which are better matched to other industries/markets.
I wouldn’t say that about me. Traditional biotech is really getting clobbered right now. Many of these companies got run up to astronomical valuations and recently with Biden’s policies (more stimulus leading to inflationary pressure, promised tax increases, more regulation, etc., have all made biotech less palatable to many investors. I’ve gotten whacked pretty good in the last two months.

I wouldn’t call myself a biotech wizard. You are right - it takes a lot of patience and sound research to win in biotech. Lots of promise and lots of promises. Not always easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. Right now, this is true about most tech stocks. I have done well over the years in semiconductors (like NVDA), but I’ve also misread my fair share too.

I wouldn’t say that about me. Traditional biotech is really getting clobbered right now. Many of these companies got run up to astronomical valuations and recently with Biden’s policies (more stimulus leading to inflationary pressure, promised tax increases, more regulation, etc., have all made biotech less palatable to many investors. I’ve gotten whacked pretty good in the last two months.

I wouldn’t call myself a biotech wizard. You are right - it takes a lot of patience and sound research to win in biotech. Lots of promise and lots of promises. Not always easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. Right now, this is true about most tech stocks. I have done well over the years in semiconductors (like NVDA), but I’ve also misread my fair share too.
Here is one to take a look at. I recently bought this, Vertex Pharmaceuticals VRTX. Looks undervalued with a great balance sheet and earnings growth. Can’t find a better balance sheet in this space.

Here is one to take a look at. I recently bought this, Vertex Pharmaceuticals VRTX. Looks undervalued with a great balance sheet and earnings growth. Can’t find a better balance sheet in this space.
VRTX is a $56B company. They are quite profitable. In biotech, VRTX is a larger company than I would tend to buy.

At $217/share, it’s pretty expensive (at least in my investing philosophy). They missed their earnings badly in 2020 and they got whacked.

I like to invest in earlier stage biotech companies with promising therapeutics. These companies tend to be more volatile but have greater profit potential. It’s all about finding companies you believe have therapeutics which can treat prevalent diseases and maladies.

Thanks for your thoughts ! We read the interest rates the same way. I think the inflation numbers will run hot enough that the FED may have to start "talking" about rate hikes in August in an attempt to cool down the speculation, etc.. That's when I am currently planning to cash in on some of my Call options. (Then add some after any kind of pullback) For the most part, I have been very conservative over the years, probably like you, and haven't used options contracts. But the set up for precious metals / miners just look too good to me not to use a little more leverage this year. FYI - I also have purchased a few proofs in recent years (Primarily in the low volume production years & from San Francisco Mint location which have also had some low volume mints recently) I am also starting to buy good coins from our allies (Canada, UK, Australia) in case things ever get bad enough that the government tries to confiscate them like they did in the 30s. Most should be looked at as collectibles and hopefully they can be passed on to my kids some day. I am also buying annual coins for my grandkids, rather than bonds, etc..

Question # 2: Do you think the FED will be able to tap down inflation after the genie is out of the bottle? My bet is no in the short term (next 2 -3 years) I think it's going to be a necessary evil to avoid the alternative (Severe recession / depression) Biggest problem is ANY rate increase will be a huge jump (percentage wise) on all outstanding loans, credit, etc.. That's bound to cause some liquidity issues around the world (Everyone is fully levered up to lower rates)
You are pretty spot-on the FED assessment. No change if any until after the August meeting. Would like to see a reduction in the QE. Don’t think they would raise interest rates much. Too much too soon would have adverse consequences on the equity markets. Both of those actions would be good for bond returns. Monthly bond dividends have dropped about 50% in last 2-4 years.

Looking at adding an industrial or two to my portfolio. EMR is one. Deere and Cummins are a little too pricey now. Another dividend play on the radar is AMCR. Probably wait for a fall under 12 or lower. Added a few shares to NEE and KMI.

Missed out on SNA and FANG in November. Both have impressive gains since. May start a position in FANG, think there is good upside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT