ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

70boiler

All-American
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2003
Peoria, Illinois
I think that I will start a thread more directed at the fiscal side rather than the political side of life. With the amount of politics "discussed" on most threads I find that I miss some of the financial things until they are old news. I realize people can hijack anything but figure that it is well worth a try.

Nope.....still can't get past the 1 year chart on SPHS, although still watching it.
How was your trading week?
I sold FREQ for about a 30% profit.
Bought more VERU and it's been a choppy week.
Bought OCGN (might have done that last week) as a pure roll of the dice as it doesn't fit my chart strategy (if you want to call it that). That bet is all based on an FDA approval expected in mid-Feb. Positive FDA news and it probably takes off.
Still liking AGRX in my holdings.
Still like GERN for an unfounded reason, probably because I have a bunch and waiting for it to pay off.

Next on my list of possible buys are SLNO, MESO, CGEN.
I love MTEM and LUNA but I've bought/sold both of those and now to get back in, I'd be having to buy above my previous selling price.
I have looked a bit at ARAY but am undecided. They have a Quarterly Report conference call next week.

Thanks 70 boiler. I had thought about doing this a week or two ago. I probably won’t add specific information, but will add some general tips or philosophy up front.

A little background. I have been investing for 40 plus years. Spent many hours reading and trying to educate myself about investing. Investing is easy, making money is a little harder.

Investing is easier today with the internet than it was when I first started in the 70’s and 80’s. Not only easier but also costs/fees are lower.

A few tips:

1. Don’t lose your capital.
2. Don’t forget 1.
3. Create a balanced and diversified investment portfolio.
4. Use compound interest to your advantage. Reinvest dividends and capital gains.
5. Set up fixed assets early, goes a long way to counter market down times.
6. Pay yourself first. Simply said, after paying must pay bills, invest for your future.

Pay attention to fees associated with mutual funds. I initially started with a couple smaller mutual fund companies before moving 100% to Vanguard. Mutual funds, ETF’s and individual stocks. Mixture of traditional and ROTH IRA’s and non-retirement accounts. I only invest in individual stocks that pay a dividend.

Thanks 70 boiler. I had thought about doing this a week or two ago. I probably won’t add specific information, but will add some general tips or philosophy up front.

A little background. I have been investing for 40 plus years. Spent many hours reading and trying to educate myself about investing. Investing is easy, making money is a little harder.

Investing is easier today with the internet than it was when I first started in the 70’s and 80’s. Not only easier but also costs/fees are lower.

A few tips:

1. Don’t lose your capital.
2. Don’t forget 1.
3. Create a balanced and diversified investment portfolio.
4. Use compound interest to your advantage. Reinvest dividends and capital gains.
5. Set up fixed assets early, goes a long way to counter market down times.
6. Pay yourself first. Simply said, after paying must pay bills, invest for your future.

Pay attention to fees associated with mutual funds. I initially started with a couple smaller mutual fund companies before moving 100% to Vanguard. Mutual funds, ETF’s and individual stocks. Mixture of traditional and ROTH IRA’s and non-retirement accounts. I only invest in individual stocks that pay a dividend.
You're welcome. I could kick myself for not having done it long ago. I fully believe broadbased information and education are always of value and appreciate you responding.

U.S. economy remains strong, although growth is slowing. No issues with economic indicators. All should be ok for the next 6-12 months even though something out of the ordinary could trigger a recessionary move.

No issue with the 10-2 yield curve. It did go negative for a few hours or days in Aug/Sept 2019. Don’t recall the exact timeframe.

Have a few stocks on my watch list. One being CINF. Has pulled back from Oct 2019 high. Div yield is approx 2.1% with annual 4-5% increase since the 2008/2009 recession. May make an initial position on the next dip. Not super critical since my start positions are usually 10-15 shares.

Added a couple regional banks last year, have made small additions earlier this year.

Will probably look how sectors move in the next 2-3 months or so before adding any new stocks.

Fixed asset side will add a little to existing positions to bolster monthly income.

Forgot to add this in my previous post. A few websites that have good investment or financial information.

Kiplinger.com - very good for overall financial info. Taxes, retirement, investing and other financial help.

finviz.com - mostly use this for the stock screen.

dividend.com - nice info for dividend players

seekingalpha.com - occasionally read articles on this site although I have never made any investments solely based on info that I have read.

Mutual fund companies - look at Vanguard, Fidelity, TRowePrice. All are good. I only use Vanguard for my funds.

Vanguard.

Kiplinger probably has article(s) on their site for several online brokers if you are looking for info or comparisons.

I dig etrade. Gave Robinhood a whirl but they didn't have very good research features and now that everything is zero commission, the value prop isn't there for them anymore.

Forgot to add this in my previous post. A few websites that have good investment or financial information.

Kiplinger.com - very good for overall financial info. Taxes, retirement, investing and other financial help.

finviz.com - mostly use this for the stock screen.

dividend.com - nice info for dividend players

seekingalpha.com - occasionally read articles on this site although I have never made any investments solely based on info that I have read.

Mutual fund companies - look at Vanguard, Fidelity, TRowePrice. All are good. I only use Vanguard for my funds.
M.....Question for you. Many years back a wise man told me two things that I've lived by.
  1. Never get your bread the same place you get your milk.
  2. Never put all of your eggs in one basket.
I've lived by both, and I have to ask....Why all your funds in Vanguard and not mix with other companies. If Vanguard goes in the tank, you have nothing to fall back on unless you have a ton of cash or bonds.

I originally had all of mine in Fidelity and was doing very well. Then, I decided to diversify and now am with four different companies, with a well balanced portfolio, and love what I've seen. One might go down a bit, but usually when that happens, one of the others goes up.

So...and I'm not questioning you, but asking aren't you a bit concerned with all those eggs in that one basket.

M.....Question for you. Many years back a wise man told me two things that I've lived by.
I've lived by both, and I have to ask....Why all your funds in Vanguard and not mix with other companies. If Vanguard goes in the tank, you have nothing to fall back on unless you have a ton of cash or bonds.

I originally had all of mine in Fidelity and was doing very well. Then, I decided to diversify and now am with four different companies, with a well balanced portfolio, and love what I've seen. One might go down a bit, but usually when that happens, one of the others goes up.

So...and I'm not questioning you, but asking aren't you a bit concerned with all those eggs in that one basket.
Fair question. No, not concerned about having everything at Vanguard. I have never read or heard anything about the need to diversify across a number of mutual fund companies. Unlike being diversified with stocks.

Think it comes down to ease, cost effectiveness, management. At one time I did have a brokerage account separate from Vanguard. Also had mutual funds with other companies prior to Vanguard. Had some bond funds with Bentham. Had some funds with American Century, pretty sure that is the correct name. And some other funds that could be started with a small initial investment. Late 80’s, 90’s. Think I have only been using Vanguard funds since early 2000 timeframe.

I do have a mixture of bond and stock funds. Bonds and treasury funds, short and intermediate maturities. Equities - index fund(s) and managed. Equity funds just need to be cautious to avoid overlap. That would or could also be an issue if I had funds at another company.

Overall at this time, it is just more effective to have everything under one roof.

Reactions: 70boiler
Out of curiosity, which online brokers do y'all use?
Etrade for my gambling money, Fidelity for everything else, (my employer switched to Fidelity for both my 401K and ESPP so that makes things easier as well)

You buy Vanguard funds even if you have your $ in a Fidelity account.

Just throwing this out there for conversation: with this whole coronavirus thing, is that a positive or negative for healthcare/biotech stocks and why or why not?
Or, will it not have any impact on specific segments?

Just for fun, there's a PA company called Moderna, (MRNA) that is working on a coronavirus vaccine. Could be worth taking a flyer on (as they say, buy the rumor, sell the news).

I began investing with Betterment in 2012 and couldn't be happier. Similar return as a friend of mine who uses a financial manager, but only .25% in fees as opposed to .9% for her.

I have neither the time nor inclination to delve into individual stocks, so this was a good option.

Just throwing this out there for conversation: with this whole coronavirus thing, is that a positive or negative for healthcare/biotech stocks and why or why not?
Or, will it not have any impact on specific segments?

Just for fun, there's a PA company called Moderna, (MRNA) that is working on a coronavirus vaccine. Could be worth taking a flyer on (as they say, buy the rumor, sell the news).
huge for the virus oriented stocks like NVAX, NNVC, IBIO, I just bought some COCP .81. I had a large swing in CLWT from 2.5 popped over 3..sold it too early 2.79.

I began investing with Betterment in 2012 and couldn't be happier. Similar return as a friend of mine who uses a financial manager, but only .25% in fees as opposed to .9% for her.

I have neither the time nor inclination to delve into individual stocks, so this was a good option.
None of the roboadvisors have experienced a recession. It will be interesting to see how Wealthfront and Betterment perform if they market sheds 25% and doesnt recover for a couple of years.

Also, unrelated to your post, stay away from Robinhood. Youre trade flow is being sold and you arent getting the best market price for your shares. May not matter much if your buying small amounts, but can add up as your trading habits escalate.

I went with Wealthfront because of some promo where they waived advisory fees on the first $X of your assets. Also pretty happy with it, particularly the tax loss harvesting, which gave me a good extra chunk of cash in my tax return last year.

Market opens mixed. DOW and Nasdaq up, S&P down. It’s a big earnings week and earnings drives the stock. 3M and Pfizer missed earnings, both down 3% or so. Harley also missed.

Apple reports after the market closes, up about 1.5%. Expected to beat, Wednesday should be a good day for Apple.

Other notables this week, Amazon, Cat, Exxon, Chevron. Many more.

Any downside to investing in FNILX (0% Expense Ratio) as opposed to funds with fees? Fairly new fund but 1 year return was 31%. Thoughts?

Any downside to investing in FNILX (0% Expense Ratio) as opposed to funds with fees? Fairly new fund but 1 year return was 31%. Thoughts?

Any large cap fund that hasn't done really well in the last 2 years or longer should probably fire their manager. A rising tide lifts all boats. IMHO, if you want to own a bunch of huge, well known, name brand companies that will probably track the Dow pretty well, then this fund looks good (and at 0% fee, that's even better).

FNILX looks like a “closet s&p 500 index fund”. So would have to compare this fund fee to an Index 500 fund fee.

99.5% of time, comparing like funds, lower fee fund wins.

The 31% return matches the S&P return.

Question for Bone and 70....

It appears that you're going for the "Cheaper" stocks looking for a quick turn around. Just curious as to how much you're willing to gamble for that "quick buck"?

It appears that you're going for the "Cheaper" stocks looking for a quick turn around. Just curious as to how much you're willing to gamble for that "quick buck"?

It's all relative....ha ha. What I'm looking for is opportunities for home runs or extra base hits, But, that also means I strike out at times.
My favorites are medical/biotech stocks under $10 that have shown consistent share price growth of 1-3 yr time frames.
Of my total investable assets including 401k, IRA, ESPP, cash, etc, I'd say that I use about 15% of that total (all in my Etrade acct) to make risky bets with. I fully realize what I'm doing is more akin to gambling than investing and there's both timing and luck involved.

It's all relative....ha ha. What I'm looking for is opportunities for home runs or extra base hits, But, that also means I strike out at times.
My favorites are medical/biotech stocks under $10 that have shown consistent share price growth of 1-3 yr time frames.
Of my total investable assets including 401k, IRA, ESPP, cash, etc, I'd say that I use about 15% of that total (all in my Etrade acct) to make risky bets with. I fully realize what I'm doing is more akin to gambling than investing and there's both timing and luck involved.
Thanks. And with that scenario, as with penny stocks, you only need to hit Coca Cola one time.

Low dollar long ball opportunity basically for giggles and getting grandchildren into the general idea of investing/trading.

Reactions: bonefish1
Low dollar long ball opportunity basically for giggles and getting grandchildren into the general idea of investing/trading.
I think it's a great tool to start accounts for each grand child. Let them watch it, let them "manage" it a bit. Funny how one grandkid wants to take the profit and run and others get "greedy" with each increase.

Thanks. And with that scenario, as with penny stocks, you only need to hit Coca Cola one time.

Unless you're shorting stocks, you can't lose any more than 100%, while the upside is unlimited.
Again, there's a lot of luck and timing involved. For example, I bought AUPH in the $3-4 range. Between Oct-Dec last year, it went from $5 to over $21. The question at that point is, do you hold or sell? I was happy with a 400% gain so I sold.
But, that's what I'd consider a grand slam. Where's the next one? (I'm betting heavily on VERU, AGRX and OCGN)

I think it's a great tool to start accounts for each grand child. Let them watch it, let them "manage" it a bit. Funny how one grandkid wants to take the profit and run and others get "greedy" with each increase.

I'm doing the same with my 8 and 11 yr old daughters. Trying to explain what the market it, how it works, what a share price is, what 'owning' a stock is, how you can make or lose money, etc.. It's pretty abstract for their brains but I want to get them interested and involved.

Just a quick post to move thread above the spam.

Looks like a down day for the markets. Small market correction taking hold? Buying opportunities.

Just a quick post to move thread above the spam.

Looks like a down day for the markets. Small market correction taking hold? Buying opportunities.
Yeh, stupid coronavirus scare. I do think it’s a buying opportunity because once this blows over (I’m not a dooms day, world is ending type), and especially if Trump is acquitted, I think we see the market rocket up, Dow hitting 30,000 by May. The question is, when to get in if you’ve got money on the sideline.
Market timing is hard, if not impossible.

Does anyone have a theory on why Boeing was up? That has to be one of the biggest misses on earnings I’ve ever seen. The guidance was cloudy at best. The news on the company is bad also.

Does anyone have a theory on why Boeing was up? That has to be one of the biggest misses on earnings I’ve ever seen. The guidance was cloudy at best. The news on the company is bad also.
Yes, they had a terrible year. Do not own the stock, so don’t follow news much. Think there is buying into the “bad news that was not as bad as forecast”.

Read some comments about “charges” not as bad as predicted; maybe mid to late year for the 737 to be ready; lost earnings from the 737 is a small slice of the overall earnings for Boeing; new CEO.

Reactions: SKYDOG
If anyone is looking for a potential flyer, here’s some decent news on GERN released yesterday.
Geron Co. (NASDAQ:GERN) has earned an average recommendation of “Buy” from the seven research firms that are currently covering the firm, Marketbeat reports. One analyst has rated the stock with a sell recommendation, one has issued a hold recommendation and five have issued a buy recommendation on the company. The average 12 month price target among brokerages that have issued a report on the stock in the last year is $3.80.

Full disclosure: I own GERN, closed at $1.34 yesterday.

Here is my question because I am honestly pretty clueless.

I am 36 and a high school teacher so I don't have much money to 'play around' with in terms of investment. I know I need to be starting more than just my ISTA Retirement and I am hopeful Social Security doesn't fall by the wayside for when I look to retire when I'm in my 60's.

Where do I need to start because I obviously don't have lots of money to start upfront with BUT I know its better to at least start with something rather than never starting at all. Would you recommend a 'simulation' of the market to gain practice before investing real funds or should I go with a broker/professional from the start? If anyone wants to shoot me a PM, I would love to chat and listen to advice because I feel overwhelmed by the idea of starting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT