ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs. Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Unfortunately, I’m not in the Bahamas right now but Purdue takes on Florida at 4pm on Flo Hoops (requires subscription).

Game day thread for the Boilers here.

Fun? note: Former Boiler RaShaya Kyle will be playing her former squad this evening.

I like this matchup better than the TAMU one that’s for sure and that one went well for us. Florida has been playing well, just barely lost to a very good FSU team. Kyle has been productive for them - looks like she is finally conditioned enough to be able to play meaningful minutes. She will be a load inside that’s for sure but we handled TAMU’s size pretty well. Another big outing from Harper will be crucial. I think she will be able to draw Kyle out of the paint as long as she is hitting perimeter shots. MA will have lot better matchup so I am expecting much more from her. I’m not expecting another 20 pt outing by Spider but i really hope Smith looks better and is much more productive. Ellis hopefully stays hot as well.

The X factor I think will be shooting. We will have a physical disadvantage down low - so we need to shoot the ball well to counter that. Something we did against TAMU - and the reason we had a great game. Looks like these games are being played in a ballroom per usual. Often those venues are not great for making perimeter shots. If we go cold - they might use their size to pull out the win.

Prediction - I think we’ll slip by them by about 8 in a dog fight.

I like this matchup better than the TAMU one that’s for sure and that one went well for us. Florida has been playing well, just barely lost to a very good FSU team. Kyle has been productive for them - looks like she is finally conditioned enough to be able to play meaningful minutes. She will be a load inside that’s for sure but we handled TAMU’s size pretty well. Another big outing from Harper will be crucial. I think she will be able to draw Kyle out of the paint as long as she is hitting perimeter shots. MA will have lot better matchup so I am expecting much more from her. I’m not expecting another 20 pt outing by Spider but i really hope Smith looks better and is much more productive. Ellis hopefully stays hot as well.

The X factor I think will be shooting. We will have a physical disadvantage down low - so we need to shoot the ball well to counter that. Something we did against TAMU - and the reason we had a great game. Looks like these games are being played in a ballroom per usual. Often those venues are not great for making perimeter shots. If we go cold - they might use their size to pull out the win.

Prediction - I think we’ll slip by them by about 8 in a dog fight.
If their coach let's Kyle chase Harper out to the perimeter we should win by 20 because that is just foolish coaching. Make Harper prove she can hit them and is willing to put up 20 shots. Then, either play your pf on her or go match up zone.

If their coach let's Kyle chase Harper out to the perimeter we should win by 20 because that is just foolish coaching. Make Harper prove she can hit them and is willing to put up 20 shots. Then, either play your pf on her or go match up zone.

Their starting posts go 6’4 and 6’6. That’s a lot of size. Their PF is only averaging 4/3 on the year. And they have not played super great competition past FSU. They’ve played undersized teams. Kyle has dominated - she hasn’t done much. This is why I liked this matchup better than TAMU. I assume MA starts at the 4 - I like that matchup with their PF. This game is looking like it will be the ultimate test of size vs quickness. Kyle will get hers, but we just have to contain her. After going up against barker last week and ucla’s post - I don’t think anyone on this team is going to be afraid of her. The perk of playing good competition.

We have posts who can score on the perimeter - they do not. No wonder Kyle transferred there - KG and UF’s coach seem to have completely different philosophies. No brainer that Kyle, with her limited offensive skillset thought that philosophy would suit her game better. She is averaging 27 mpg - a career high. She is also a senior so it took her 3 years to get to that level of conditioning. She *should* be producing the way she has been especially against the cupcakes they’ve played this year. She had 16/4 against FSU - so she’s continuing the trend of not being strong rebounder against P5 competition. Especially for someone that’s 6’6

Last edited:
Their starting posts go 6’4 and 6’6. That’s a lot of size. Their PF is only averaging 4/3 on the year. And they have not played super great competition past FSU. They’ve played undersized teams. Kyle has dominated - she hasn’t done much. This is why I liked this matchup better than TAMU. I assume MA starts at the 4 - I like that matchup with their PF. This game is looking like it will be the ultimate test of size vs quickness. Kyle will get hers, but we just have to contain her. After going up against barker last week and ucla’s post - I don’t think anyone on this team is going to be afraid of her. The perk of playing good competition.

We have posts who can score on the perimeter - they do not. No wonder Kyle transferred there - KG and UF’s coach seem to have completely different philosophies. No brainer that Kyle, with her limited offensive skillset thought that philosophy would suit her game better. She is averaging 27 mpg - a career high. She is also a senior so it took her 3 years to get to that level of conditioning. She *should* be producing the way she has been especially against the cupcakes they’ve played this year. She had 16/4 against FSU - so she’s continuing the trend of not being strong rebounder against P5 competition. Especially for someone that’s 6’6
I did notice you don't mind being a massive hypocrite and making your own predictions while deriding me for making some first. Kind of pathetic that you tear into me only to copy my behavior to try and make it look like you thought of it on your own to try and feed your weak ego and need for attention. ;)

I did notice you don't mind being a massive hypocrite and making your own predictions while deriding me for making some first. Kind of pathetic that you tear into me only to copy my behavior to try and make it look like you thought of it on your own to try and feed your weak ego and need for attention. ;)

And I’M the board bully. 😂🙄

Let me break this down for you, Michael. Making game predictions on a message board is hardly a new concept. Neither me nor you created the phenomenon. In contrast - What you are trying to do is turn it into a big competition amongst posters. That is a purely pathetic attempt by you to try and gain some intellectual advantage - or use it for ammo during another inevitable spat - what I did was discuss the matchup - tell my thoughts on our advantages or disadvantages- give a couple scenarios so that if something happens we could win if it doesn’t we can lose. Etc etc, I give my opinion hoping that others will use my posts as good launching points for further discussion of the game of basketball.

You have yet to add barely anything to the topic at hand except but desperately pining for attention and reassurance that you are a respected poster here. And by the relative silence and apathy to your pleas it seems like no one here frankly gives a sh*t about your stupid little game.

Good day.

And I’M the board bully. 😂🙄

Let me break this down for you, Michael. Making game predictions on a message board is hardly a new concept. Neither me nor you created the phenomenon. In contrast - What you are trying to do is turn it into a big competition amongst posters. That is a purely pathetic attempt by you to try and gain some intellectual advantage - or use it for ammo during another inevitable spat - what I did was discuss the matchup - tell my thoughts on our advantages or disadvantages- give a couple scenarios so that if something happens we could win if it doesn’t we can lose. Etc etc, I give my opinion hoping that others will use my posts as good launching points for further discussion of the game of basketball.

You have yet to add barely anything to the topic at hand except desperately pine for attention and reassurance that you are respected posted here. And by the relative silence and apathy to your pleas it seems like no one here frankly gives a sh*t.

Good day.
ROFLMAO. IF you had posted your trollish rant on the season prediction contest, this might actually apply. But you did not, you went after the game predictions I was making, which were not competitions, just me making my guesses known. You avoided them for three games until I was wrong then you came sweeping in to trash and bash like you always do and tell me that trying to predict games was foolish attention seeking. And here you are, doing EXACTLY what you bashed me for then lying through your teeth about it when called on it. Your complete lack of character is on full display for the whole board to see, not a good look young sir, not good at all.

Last edited:
My guess is Purdue by 4 unless Kyle gets motivated to show off against her old team and we fail to contain her, then it could be an ugly loss for our girls. We can hope UF plays perimeter D like A&M and tries doubling and trapping on the perimeter giving our offense the drive and kick outs that make it run the best. If they lay off us like Southern did and make us prove we can hit them, we will need Madison and Ellis to be on target or it could be a rough game.

ROFMAO. IF you had posted your trollish rant on the season prediction contest, this might actually apply. But you did not, you went after the game predictions I was making, which were not competitions, just me making my guesses known. You avoided them for three games until I was wrong then you came sweeping in to trash and bash like you always do and tell me that trying to predict games was foolish attention seeking. And here you are, doing EXACTLY what you bashed me for then lying through your teeth about it when called on it. Your complete lack of character is on full display for the whole board to see, not a good look young sir, not good at all.
You literally left out the most important letter to that phrase.

😂 😂. Keep rolling Michael, keep rollin’.

Reactions: MichaelRR
You literally left out the most important letter to that phrase.

😂 😂. Keep rolling Michael, keep rollin’.
LOL, you are right, I did, thanks for pointing it out although of course you did it in the most dickish manner you could, but I would never expect anything more from you. Its fixed now.

LOL, you are right, I did, thanks for pointing it out although of course you did it in the most dickish manner you could, but I would never expect anything more from you. Its fixed now.

I’m not sure how old you are, but if your initial response is “ROFLMAO” to a post of mine, then your intellect must not be too um… advanced?. I’m 34 and have not used that phrase after middle school.

I also have you muted and can’t initially see posts that you start, so that might be the answer to your big mystery. 😂

I’m not sure how old you are, but if your initial response is “ROFLMAO” to a post of mine, then your intellect must not be too um… advanced?. I’m 34 and have not used that phrase after middle school.

I also have you muted and can’t initially see posts that you start, so that might be the answer to your big mystery. 😂
That doesn't surprise me, you strike me as someone who takes themselves far too seriously and has lost their sense of humor and joy in life. I a definitely old enough to be your father and still have a healthy dose of whimsy. I don't take this too seriously, but I won't let some punk attack people without being challenged on it. I don't think either of us lacks intellect, but you certainly lack compassion and the ability to have someone disagree with you without you becoming a lowlife troll attacking everyone that dares have a thought different than yours. The truly sad part of this is you know basketball and while I don't agree with a lot of your posts, I do appreciate reading a differing point of view, but that may because I grew up and you just got older. When I was young people disagreed, argued and discussed things without getting their egos hurt. Your generation seems to have never learned that skill and it makes you kind of pathetic when you cannot stand for anyone to think differently than you without you making an attack and ripping into their intellect all the while making other people doubt yours..

4-4 tie at first media timeout. Both teams VERY sloppy with the ball and shooting poorly.

26-22 UF at the half. The fact we are only down 4 shooting 9/34 and 1/12 from 3 is a win. This is an extremely winnable game. Nice to see smith show some life, Harper another good effort. Meh game so far from Kyle. Dut is just not a good player. 3 PFs on her. MA has to capitalize in 2nd half and stay on the court.

I know the kids want to go to nice beach locations, but basketball should never be played in ballrooms. I’m going to take whatever result we get from these games with a grain of salt.

Down 26-22 at the half. Florida looks bad. We are playing worse. Missed our first 12 3 pointers and seem to be rushing our inside shots afraid of Florida's bigs. 8 TOs to UFs 10, rebounding even at 20.

26-22 UF at the half. The fact we are only down 4 shooting 9/34 and 1/12 from 3 is a win. This is an extremely winnable game. Nice to see smith show some life, Harper another good effort. Meh game so far from Kyle. Dut is just not a good player. 3 PFs on her. MA has to capitalize in 2nd half and stay on the court.

I know the kids want to go to nice beach locations, but basketball should never be played in ballrooms. I’m going to take whatever result we get from these games with a grain of salt.
6 pts and 2 rbs on 3-7 shooting is another good effort, while 5 pts and 5 rbs on 1-2 and 3-4 fts is meh..someone's prejudices are definitely showing.

6 pts and 2 rbs on 3-7 shooting is another good effort, while 5 pts and 5 rbs on 1-2 and 3-4 fts is meh..someone's prejudices are definitely showing.
Last time I checked Kyle had 4 inches on both Purdue posts and she came in averaging 15/9. She had 16 against FSU. They go 6’4 and 6’6 down low and our rebounded is even. That’s not a good game not bad either. That’s meh.

Harper is on track to achieve her average against a tough post. That’s good.

Florida up 37-26 and its starting to look like a blowout. Smith, Madison, Terry, and Jones total of 4 points on 14 shots. You won't beat any competent team like that, and I am not sure Florida is a very good team, but we are working to make them look good.

Tied at 40. After calling out the 4 players, Smith has woken up and gotten 8 points with a pair from harper on a nice fast reak and Ellis has gotten some more.

42-40 after 3, Florida got an easy layup off a blown defense and they had someone alone under the rim just a second before the buzzer.

One great effort stat, we are outrebounding Florida 31-26, both teams played cleaner in the 3rd tied at 12 TOs.

Tremendous response from the team. 2 pt game going into the 4th. Welcome to the season Jayla smith. She was tremendous for us in the 3rd. Harper continues to come up big.

Ugh 1/18 from 3 - that’s the game! Unbelievably bad shooting. Down 4. This would be a bad loss to stomach. It’s right there for the taking if we can just make a couple 3s

1:58 down 50-46 we are 1-19 from 3. Another missed shot Purdue now 1:30 left. Purdue 3 by Smith 50-49 with 1:03

50-49, 37 seconds left, Florida ball after Timeout. Purdue 2-20 from 3 but we keep chucking them up.

14.9 seconds left Florida inbounding, still up 1 and we have to give two fouls to get them to the line. Jones just fouled out.

12.3 seconds left, next foul puts Florida to the line. Ellis fouls Matharu their PG.

Made both 10.7 seconds left down 52-49. Bringing in the ball at half court after timeout. Have to hit a three to force OT.

Ellis missed at the buzzer, we go down 52-49. That is just an all around embarrassing final score.

Stevenson leads us with 6 rbs, Jones, Ellis, and Smith each with 5. Ellis leads scoring with 14 but on 3-12 shooting but 7-7 at the line. Harper with 12 on 6-12 shooting, and Smith with 11 on 5-9 shooting. This was a pretty abysmal execution game for the Boilers.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
Losing when the other team only scores 52 and we cannot get to 50 is embarrassing. This is a vintage Versyp score.
Michael, you said losing by three was embarassing, Now you are adding more qualifications.

Both teams shot horribly, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT