ADVERTISEMENT

Quick thoughts on Purdue’s loss to Florida

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Some quick takeaways from Purdue’s loss to Florida this evening:

Shooting woes:

I mean, this was the difference in the game. Purdue was 2-22 from three-point range on the day, but was 45% on two-point field goals. For a team that was already struggling offensively, this was a showing that Purdue just could not afford. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened.

I don’t expect many of these types of shooting performances, but it shows just how vital Abbey Ellis, Madison Layden and Caitlyn Harper are in terms of perimeter shooting.

Welcome back, Jayla Smith:

Jayla Smith was as aggressive as we’ve seen her this season and the results proved to be positive. She finished with a season-high 11 points on 5-9 shooting and added five rebounds in the loss.

Getting Smith with a head full of steam toward the basket should be something that Purdue tries to get more moving forward, in my opinion. Smith using her athleticism off the dribble could bode well for the Boilermakers throughout the year.

Defensive battle:

The story will be the lack of shooting, and deservedly so, but Purdue’s defense played well against a high-scoring Florida squad. The Gators had scored north of 80 points per game this season and Purdue held its own for the most part.

That is a defensive showing Purdue can build on ahead of Wednesday’s game. The key will be whether or not the offense can catch up…

Some quick takeaways from Purdue’s loss to Florida this evening:

Shooting woes:

I mean, this was the difference in the game. Purdue was 2-22 from three-point range on the day, but was 45% on two-point field goals. For a team that was already struggling offensively, this was a showing that Purdue just could not afford. Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened.

I don’t expect many of these types of shooting performances, but it shows just how vital Abbey Ellis, Madison Layden and Caitlyn Harper are in terms of perimeter shooting.

Welcome back, Jayla Smith:

Jayla Smith was as aggressive as we’ve seen her this season and the results proved to be positive. She finished with a season-high 11 points on 5-9 shooting and added five rebounds in the loss.

Getting Smith with a head full of steam toward the basket should be something that Purdue tries to get more moving forward, in my opinion. Smith using her athleticism off the dribble could bode well for the Boilermakers throughout the year.

Defensive battle:

The story will be the lack of shooting, and deservedly so, but Purdue’s defense played well against a high-scoring Florida squad. The Gators had scored north of 80 points per game this season and Purdue held its own for the most part.

That is a defensive showing Purdue can build on ahead of Wednesday’s game. The key will be whether or not the offense can catch up…
One quibble, Smith had 13, 2 of her points were erroneously attributed to Alaina Harper.

Mila was held out hurt.

I am very disappointed we did not adjust our game plan when it was clear playing in that environment was throwing off our threes, instead we kept chucking them up.

Reactions: DubJellison
We got the lead 46-44 from going inside to Harper. Next 7 shots were 6 3s and a missed pull up jumper. Only one 3 went in. 3 points in the last 5:05 of the game all because we failed to adjust to the fact our threes were not falling all game long.

Terry in 25 minutes with 0 points 4 rebounds and 2 assists, that won’t cut it, 5th year player, terrible stat line.
Madison in 23 minutes 0 points 2 rbs, 0 A and 2 TO.
Ellis 3-13 and 7-7 for 14 pts in 36 minutes, 5 rbs, 1 A and 4 TOs.

Really only Harper and Smith had even decent games. As to the whole "the ball room made the shooters shoot poorly" bullcrap argument, Columbia shot 11-33 from 3 in the game before us and UGa shot 6-14 on 3s. PennSt has hit 6-14 in the game after ours. We were shooting 27% from 3 in the first three games, so we really aren't a good outside shooting team despite the hype to the contrary.

Reactions: HoopDad317

Really only Harper and Smith had even decent games. As to the whole "the ball room made the shooters shoot poorly" bullcrap argument, Columbia shot 11-33 from 3 in the game before us and UGa shot 6-14 on 3s. PennSt has hit 6-14 in the game after ours. We were shooting 27% from 3 in the first three games, so we really aren't a good outside shooting team despite the hype to the contrary.
Agree Michael. Florida had to play on the same court too. No excuses. Again, Ellis converts when Madison doesn’t show up. Energy can turn a game around. Harper shot a decent percentage. Terry has to contribute something. Glad to see Smith with a spark. Pretty telling when coaches don’t put a senior in, in the last minutes of a tight game. You have to show up and try, every single game. Have to give CKG credit for sitting those who can’t or won’t compete.

Agree Michael. Florida had to play on the same court too. No excuses. Again, Ellis converts when Madison doesn’t show up. Energy can turn a game around. Harper shot a decent percentage. Terry has to contribute something. Glad to see Smith with a spark. Pretty telling when coaches don’t put a senior in, in the last minutes of a tight game. You have to show up and try, every single game. Have to give CKG credit for sitting those who can’t or won’t compete.
Not sure who you are referring to, all the seniors but Harper were in at the end, and Harper had the best game of the seniors. Harper was one of two players that did not play poorly. If you get 13 shots and 7 fts and only score 14 points, you did not have a good game.

As to the "shooting environment";
Game before us, UGa 6-14 from 3, 42.9% Columbia 11-33 33%
Game after us, PSU 10-22 for 45.5% and OkSU 11-29 for 37.9%
UF was the second worst outside shooting team at 4-16 for 25%
Purdue was 2-22 for 9.1%

4th quarter we took 12 shots, 4 2s making 2 and 8 3s making 1..........

To paraphrase a saying, "you are what your stats say you are"

All old heads, terrible stat lines.

Not sure who you are referring to, all the seniors but Harper were in at the end, and Harper had the best game of the seniors. Harper was one of two players that did not play poorly. If you get 13 shots and 7 fts and only score 14 points, you did not have a good game.

Purdue was 2-22 for 9.1%

Purdue was 2-22 for 9.1%

Purdue was 2-22 for 9.1%

Purdue was 2-22 for 9.1%

Harper did have a good game. But not all seniors were in the game in the final 3-4 minutes. That was a point I was making. According to Newton, Madison was benched. Her sister got the nod instead. Respect for CKG when she sits a senior who is indifferent. Good experience for McKenna to get as a first year player. I can get behind a coach who holds players accountable for their performance or lack thereof. That’s how you change a culture and become the best. Everyone saw a senior sitting and those young guns will never want to be in that position. Applaud CKG for giving the young ones opportunities. Future is bright!

Harper did have a good game. But not all seniors were in the game in the final 3-4 minutes. That was a point I was making. According to Newton, Madison was benched. Her sister got the nod instead. Respect for CKG when she sits a senior who is indifferent. Good experience for McKenna to get as a first year player. I can get behind a coach who holds players accountable for their performance or lack thereof. That’s how you change a culture and become the best. Everyone saw a senior sitting and those young guns will never want to be in that position. Applaud CKG for giving the young ones opportunities. Future is bright!
Terry was sitting too until Jones fouled out.

If you look at the logs of the game and the substitutions, the frosh we in for the defensive stand, and the seniors back in for the offense. Neither Terry nor Madison sat long.

I would love to see a starting lineup that included Stevenson, Smith, Jones. Not saying who to sit but at least we see some more athletes in the lineup.

I would love to see a starting lineup that included Stevenson, Smith, Jones. Not saying who to sit but at least we see some more athletes in the lineup.
Smith and Jones are crazy inconsistent and I think starting them now sends the wrong message to the whole team. I am not opposed to that thought if they settle down and can deliver a consistent game to game or even quarter to quarter performance.

Smith and Jones are crazy inconsistent and I think starting them now sends the wrong message to the whole team. I am not opposed to that thought if they settle down and can deliver a consistent game to game or even quarter to quarter performance.
You get consistent through play and experience. I’d rather have players who bring effort and energy and who are hungry. Best place for them to learn is on the floor. Practice players leave a lot to be desired I think as during their fan day, they didn’t even play defense. Which made the girls look good but doesn’t help them become better. If that’s how practices are, then game situations are where the growth will happen. I’m ok for the message to be sent to others to play hard or sit. Again, that’s how you become a top tier team. Play those who deserve it and don’t hand things to players who are entitled. If the young guns are playing hard and doing well, play them!

You get consistent through play and experience. I’d rather have players who bring effort and energy and who are hungry. Best place for them to learn is on the floor. Practice players leave a lot to be desired I think as during their fan day, they didn’t even play defense. Which made the girls look good but doesn’t help them become better. If that’s how practices are, then game situations are where the growth will happen. I’m ok for the message to be sent to others to play hard or sit. Again, that’s how you become a top tier team. Play those who deserve it and don’t hand things to players who are entitled. If the young guns are playing hard and doing well, play them!
Smith has been this wildly inconsistent now for 2 years and 3 games already. Jones and Smith between them have 3 good quarters out of 28 this season. Otherwise they are turnover prone and shooting in the 20s percentage wise for the other 25 quarters. The message you are sending is playing out of control one on one style and not taking care of the ball gets you PT, not playing disciplined team ball. I am not against sitting a couple of the starters IF I thought we would not get significantly worse with any of the players on the bench replacing them at this time. Jones is not ready, Smith may never be at her rate of non-progress. They both get lots of minutes for development and I VERY much doubt the fan scrimmage looked anything like practice. I have been to practices from Curry to Versyp and there is not a lot of scrimmaging in them, but rather working on game plans and specific skills that the team seems to be less than effective in. And A LOT of defense. The practice squad of guys plays to the intensity they are told. If they go all out they would crush the women's team. That was even true of the RIP squad against the 99 team.

Smith has been this wildly inconsistent now for 2 years and 3 games already. Jones and Smith between them have 3 good quarters out of 28 this season. Otherwise they are turnover prone and shooting in the 20s percentage wise for the other 25 quarters. The message you are sending is playing out of control one on one style and not taking care of the ball gets you PT, not playing disciplined team ball. I am not against sitting a couple of the starters IF I thought we would not get significantly worse with any of the players on the bench replacing them at this time. Jones is not ready, Smith may never be at her rate of non-progress. They both get lots of minutes for development and I VERY much doubt the fan scrimmage looked anything like practice. I have been to practices from Curry to Versyp and there is not a lot of scrimmaging in them, but rather working on game plans and specific skills that the team seems to be less than effective in. And A LOT of defense. The practice squad of guys plays to the intensity they are told. If they go all out they would crush the women's team. That was even true of the RIP squad against the 99 team.
You have some good points but negate that some starters just shoot in the 30% range. Sometimes inconsistency with players is also due to an unclear role, which is partly on the coaches. CKG isn’t the best (yet) on gauging her personnel. I think that’s why she brought KK on board. She will get better. But when you play into the hands of lazy players in order to be liked, instead of having accountability, then it also upsets the player dynamics of understanding exactly what your coach wants from you. I believe CKG will get better but some act as if she’s a big time get. She isn’t, yet. That is obvious in her game time decisions. She said herself last year that communication isn’t her forte, so I’m confident her players see that and struggle because of that. I like Smith and Jones. I’d like to see them both improve. That will come in game situations, not in a mediocre practice environment where they chuck up half court shots. Remember, you play how you practice.

You have some good points but negate that some starters just shoot in the 30% range. Sometimes inconsistency with players is also due to an unclear role, which is partly on the coaches. CKG isn’t the best (yet) on gauging her personnel. I think that’s why she brought KK on board. She will get better. But when you play into the hands of lazy players in order to be liked, instead of having accountability, then it also upsets the player dynamics of understanding exactly what your coach wants from you. I believe CKG will get better but some act as if she’s a big time get. She isn’t, yet. That is obvious in her game time decisions. She said herself last year that communication isn’t her forte, so I’m confident her players see that and struggle because of that. I like Smith and Jones. I’d like to see them both improve. That will come in game situations, not in a mediocre practice environment where they chuck up half court shots. Remember, you play how you practice.
IF that is how they practice, we have a horrible coach. As I have said, what you saw at fan day was for your entertainment, not anything resembling a real practice. If we started Smith and Jones 5 Assist to 20 TO games would be pretty normal, neither passes well yet and their shooting is haphazard at best. Yes, we have starters shooting in the 30s, but they also get assists instead of usually going one on OpFor. Smith has gotten lots of minutes the last two seasons, and still plays like an out of control first game freshman. Rewarding her very poor play with a starting role right now probably would hamper her from ever getting better.

In fairness, the 5th and 4th year Sr’s are wildly inconsistent as well. There comes a time when enough is enough, time to give some younger players the keys. Harper and maybe Layden coming off the bench wouldn’t be the worst thing. Also, I know you like her but Terry needs to shoot better than 15% from the field.

In fairness, the 5th and 4th year Sr’s are wildly inconsistent as well. There comes a time when enough is enough, time to give some younger players the keys. Harper and maybe Layden coming off the bench wouldn’t be the worst thing. Also, I know you like her but Terry needs to shoot better than 15% from the field.
No one is as inconsistent as Smith except for maybe Madison, not even close. And Smith and Jones are turning it over 4 times for every assist

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT