ADVERTISEMENT

Perry, Harris, and Forsythe class of 2024

More Kanon highlights. Read some feedback on him from OTE’s “pro day” and they talked about him floating through the air and spot up jump shooting being what people want from a SF. Said he needs to fine tune shooting on the move when feet aren’t set.

Can they make sure to tell him he still needs to play at Purdue next year? 😂

Part of the reason Ivey didn't start until mid-season was due to injury. He missed 3 weeks of games after our first game. He ended up averaging over 30 minutes a game the last half of the season including 40+ in the last two games (both overtime).

After watching the European games, I think Painter's pretty high on Colvin and I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I think he may be good enough to start for this team at some point during the year but I'm one that never assumes a guy is going to leave "early" before I see him play a college game.

I'd be surprised if his NBA potential comes close to that of Jaden Ivey, but I hope he's better than Loyer, Eastern, Morton and Newman. All six of these guys were ranked about the same coming out of high school. If he slots in second in this group, I'll be pretty happy.
Doesn't Nojel still have a year's eligibility left? Put him on Indinia's X in a geezer smackdown.

Yeah imagine a person with a split personality say Jekyll and Hyde living in Indy. Jekyll wants Purdue, but Hyde wants IU, but both want immediate playing time? Matt tells the truth to Jekyll and Woody tells Hyde what he wants to hear?
I don’t think anyone is clamoring for Painter to tell recruits what they want to hear.

The program and its players largely reflect the energy of the head coach. That is the primary factor. The coach. Of course, there are other factors, but it really does begin and end with the head coach. This goes for all leadership positions and/or positions of power.

Also, Jekyll and Hyde, in my opinion, isn’t really about a split personality; instead, it’s an archetype for the split in the psyche and the duality that exists within each of us.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I don’t think anyone is clamoring for Painter to tell recruits what they want to hear.

The program and its players largely reflect the energy of the head coach. That is the primary factor. The coach. Of course, there are other factors, but it really does begin and end with the head coach. This goes for all leadership positions and/or positions of power.

Also, Jekyll and Hyde, in my opinion, isn’t really about a split personality; instead, it’s an archetype for the split in the psyche and the duality that exists within each of us.
I like your last paragraph. I'll accept that it begins with the coach, but it doesn't end necessarily with the coach...that is unless you believe the coach can never be close to another coach for desirability mandating something else sway the decision. That is my point. I do not think a player selects a coach without other considerations. Perhaps we don't disagree on that? I thought we didn't, but now it seems we may since you said it ends with the coach. If I'm searching for a job one potential boss may be initially liked more than another, but I'm going to weigh proximity, pay, benefits and so forth. Together all the pieces may "add up" to more than the single biggest determinant.

I started to read this book a couple of years ago and dropped in for a future time due to an insufficient background and not enough time to read slowly. ;)

Amazon product ASIN B07K6S9SJ8

• Love
Reactions: Do Dah Day

Haha.....I prefer the duality of Julius Kelp and Buddy Love.....

Boilerepherine has always been a gas.....actually it swings a little, kids.....

giphy.gif

tumblr_ohg48nAyZI1rcsaaso7_r1_400.gif

• Love
Reactions: BoilerDeac
Ok, gonna make a call on Sisley, he ends up at ND. Shrews has been pushing hard as of late. Just my 2¢.

It’s possible but Paint still making a hard play for him I believe. He was at Heritage Hills before Woody or Shrews… lots of dogs in this fight including those outside the state.
I'll weigh in (aiming to do so gently).

Sisley comes from a very IU-centric family.
IU is full-on him.
IU will be in it until the end.

I'm also sure he likes Purdue - visuals aside, he's a Robbie Hummel skill set perfect comp, and I would be shocked if Hummel hasn't reached out on this one. And unlike some recruits, this family will well know of Hummel.

He clearly likes Shrewsbury - easy to see why - the guy is an awesome coach and a genuinely good dude.

In summary - seems like a genuine three team race. I like IU's chances better with Mullins as their first 2025 in-state signee. Mullins is a legit IU lean.

IU is full-on him.

I'm also sure he likes Purdue - visuals aside, he's a Robbie Hummel skill set perfect comp, and I would be shocked if Hummel hasn't reached out on this one. And unlike some recruits, this family will well know of Hummel.

He clearly likes Shrewsbury - easy to see why - the guy is an awesome coach and a genuinely good dude.

In summary - seems like a genuine three team race. I like IU's chances better with Mullins as their first 2025 in-state signee. Mullins is a legit IU lean.
I find it interesting that Paint didn’t offer Mullins after visiting him… maybe it’s still in the works? Both Shrews and Woody offered, any word on if we’re going to jump in on the pursuit? Did we not offer because of where we stand with other outstanding offers and the likelihood of anticipated commitments of other guards? I wonder if a McNeeley commitment at IU would way into Sisley’s decision being as he might be a one and done kinda guy? Inquiring minds…

I love what I have seen from Colvin, but I don’t think it’s fair to the consensus #98 player in the class to assume that he will be a 2 and done. I can certainly see how it could be possible when watching him play, but the Jaden Ivey’s are the exception and not the rule.
Really hard to predict players opting for NBA early since NIL money. Nigel Pack is a good example. He was predicted to go late 1st round now making 1.3 million this year and could stay for a covid year. Same as Zach. But less money for Nigel. If you gamble and lose your playing for less than $ 100,000 in the G-League or abroad and highly unlikely to ever make the NBA. I think Catchings is making more now in HS. As for Myles he turned down $ 250,000 to play where Kanon is now attending last YR, He and his dad have a plan and as far as I know they are sticking to it. Basically, he will be looking for Guaranteed money. People think they know NIL money, but they don't it's not a one size fits all and its everywhere for the taking. I am hearing Braden Smith is in line for a NIL bump this year. Myles being the 98th ranked player this is misleading he didn't play AAU for the shoe company teams. Purdue was where he was going and only had Painter to impress. I completely agree with Jaden Ivey comment not many like him.

I find it interesting that Paint didn’t offer Mullins after visiting him… maybe it’s still in the works? Both Shrews and Woody offered, any word on if we’re going to jump in on the pursuit? Did we not offer because of where we stand with other outstanding offers and the likelihood of anticipated commitments of other guards? I wonder if a McNeeley commitment at IU would way into Sisley’s decision being as he might be a one and done kinda guy? Inquiring minds…
Mullins and Benter are kinda redundant skill sets. Painter needs to address other areas more in that class probably.

If McNeeley committed that would have zero negative effect on Sisley IMO. He’s a top ten-ish player and can play two or three positions. Kind of like Mgbako as a freshman at IU is not a negative for McNeeley.

IU is full-on him.

Thanks for the insight. I’d be shocked if Sisley doesn’t go to IU.

Although maybe it’s ND…shrews is already on the doorstep everywhere! Haha we knew he’d be competitive with recruiting in the state.

Thanks for the insight. I’d be shocked if Sisley doesn’t go to IU.

Although maybe it’s ND…shrews is already on the doorstep everywhere! Haha we knew he’d be competitive with recruiting in the state.
I'm less confident about Sisley to IU than you, though IU is probably the (slight) odds on favorite.

So back to the original post, we currently have 2 offers out for 2024 that we’re actively pursuing; Harris and Perry! Both top 100 guards last I checked. What’s the feedback people are hearing on these two? Share your predictions if you want to go there 😁🖤💛🏀 BTFU!!!

So back to the original post, we currently have 2 offers out for 2024 that we’re actively pursuing; Harris and Perry! Both top 100 guards last I checked. What’s the feedback people are hearing on these two? Share your predictions if you want to go there 😁🖤💛🏀 BTFU!!!
Harris heads to LSU this weekend, right? I hope we can get him. Hopefully, Catchings visiting last weekend helped convince him to sign with us. Haven’t heard much on Perry and where he stands with teams…not sure when he’s looking to make a choice. I do believe he visited us back to back weekends last year. We’d be pretty heavy at guard for the next few years if he decides to commit too!

I saw a post that LSU has a kid who is about to commit and got nervous that we lost out. It turns out it is a PF. Curious to see how Harris plays out.

As to Perry - feel like I haven’t seen much on him lately.

Reactions: oldboiler52
I saw a post that LSU has a kid who is about to commit and got nervous that we lost out. It turns out it is a PF. Curious to see how Harris plays out.

Saw Gicarri had a post with his half brother Gelen at the Purdue game. Said something like hope my little brother joins the Purdue family soon.

Just saw an article where Perry stated he wants to make a decision sooner rather than later, like before the high school season or early into it. They listed Purdue, Ole Miss and KY as being some of the top teams.

response when asked what he’s looking for:
“There has to be a couple of factors in a decision like this,” Perry said. “One of the big things with me are relationships. My relationship with the coach is something I need to key in on. Style of play for a guy like me has to be in consideration. I’m a big academics guy, so that goes into it. But first and foremost are relationships. How can I help the coaches? How can I help the team? How can they help me? It’s a two-way street.”

IU is full-on him.

Fair and even post. As much as Sisley and family are pro-IU I think IU’s recruiting approach (heavy on national 5 stars and transfers) and lack of consistent on court performance makes it a tough fit. Purdue is a much better fit, IMO, but hard for an IU family to send a kid to Purdue and as good as he is, he wouldn’t be ‘the guy’ from day one at either IU or Purdue.

Something tells me not to sleep on Notre Dame where he can get the Painter type culture and coaching with Shrews, be a go to guy from the start and avoid having to choose Purdue over IU.

Harris heads to LSU this weekend, right? I hope we can get him. Hopefully, Catchings visiting last weekend helped convince him to sign with us. Haven’t heard much on Perry and where he stands with teams…not sure when he’s looking to make a choice. I do believe he visited us back to back weekends last year. We’d be pretty heavy at guard for the next few years if he decides to commit too!
It would be a real loss not to land Harris at this point. Hopefully, Painter can close the deal.

I believe that that MP would like to have Perry in either case, but if for some reason, Harris falls through, I expect to see them throw everything at trying to close with Perry.

Fair and even post. As much as Sisley and family are pro-IU I think IU’s recruiting approach (heavy on national 5 stars and transfers) and lack of consistent on court performance makes it a tough fit. Purdue is a much better fit, IMO, but hard for an IU family to send a kid to Purdue and as good as he is, he wouldn’t be ‘the guy’ from day one at either IU or Purdue.

Something tells me not to sleep on Notre Dame where he can get the Painter type culture and coaching with Shrews, be a go to guy from the start and avoid having to choose Purdue over IU.
Fair enough assessment

It would be a real loss not to land Harris at this point. Hopefully, Painter can close the deal.

I believe that that MP would like to have Perry in either case, but if for some reason, Harris falls through, I expect to see them throw everything at trying to close with Perry.
Georgia Tech presents a tough competition to land him. Stoudemeyer as coach , familiarity of home, probable more guard centric style of play… one thing possibly in our favor is that GT just signed a higher ranked combo guard for the same class in Mustaf. Time will tell 🤷🏼‍♂️🖤🏀💛

I think you're right. His family waits to see how Woodson and IU do this year. If they take a step back and have some chemistry issues there is a chance they reverse the jacket to ND.....

Georgia Tech presents a tough competition to land him. Stoudemeyer as coach , familiarity of home, probable more guard centric style of play… one thing possibly in our favor is that GT just signed a higher ranked combo guard for the same class in Mustaf. Time will tell 🤷🏼‍♂️🖤🏀💛
For sure. Harris runs the “risk” of not knowing how good of a coach Stoudamire May or may not be. Also, that ga tech program is going to take a bit to build up and may not see that much success or even get into the tournament in the first few years. Harris has an opportunity to go against more prime competition and have more exposure playing at Purdue. He is able to compete right away for conference championships and (I would hope) multiple tournament bids in his time at Purdue. I would hope he’s ok following in his dads footsteps—easily the best player ever to come out of Purdue. Hope we hear some good news this coming week or so!

For sure. Harris runs the “risk” of not knowing how good of a coach Stoudamire May or may not be. Also, that ga tech program is going to take a bit to build up and may not see that much success or even get into the tournament in the first few years. Harris has an opportunity to go against more prime competition and have more exposure playing at Purdue. He is able to compete right away for conference championships and (I would hope) multiple tournament bids in his time at Purdue. I would hope he’s ok following in his dads footsteps—easily the best player ever to come out of Purdue. Hope we hear some good news this coming week or so!
Fingers crossed. I'm biased but IMO Purdue is far and away the best fit and from what I understand he sees it that way and is getting solid family advice telling him the same. Close to home and a former NBA standout guard as coach are scary but the fundamentals still point to Purdue.

I like your last paragraph. I'll accept that it begins with the coach, but it doesn't end necessarily with the coach...that is unless you believe the coach can never be close to another coach for desirability mandating something else sway the decision. That is my point. I do not think a player selects a coach without other considerations. Perhaps we don't disagree on that? I thought we didn't, but now it seems we may since you said it ends with the coach. If I'm searching for a job one potential boss may be initially liked more than another, but I'm going to weigh proximity, pay, benefits and so forth. Together all the pieces may "add up" to more than the single biggest determinant.

I started to read this book a couple of years ago and dropped in for a future time due to an insufficient background and not enough time to read slowly. ;)

Having experienced this with my son and recently from afar with a friend's son, the coach is an overwhelming factor. BUT!!! the kids at that point in their lives may think they are ready to be far from home, when month later, they discover they aren't.
One reason I am always happy that parents move closer to Purdue. It is a major influence in the player being happy and staying.

My son was heavily recuited by Wisc-Milwaukee (decades ago). He loved the asst coach recruiting him, but did not like the head coach. He went further from home and hated it. Also, the asst coach got the head coach job the next year

Reactions: tjreese
Having experienced this with my son and recently from afar with a friend's son, the coach is an overwhelming factor. BUT!!! the kids at that point in their lives may think they are ready to be far from home, when month later, they discover they aren't.
One reason I am always happy that parents move closer to Purdue. It is a major influence in the player being happy and staying.

My son was heavily recuited by Wisc-Milwaukee (decades ago). He loved the asst coach recruiting him, but did not like the head coach. He went further from home and hated it. Also, the asst coach got the head coach job the next year
A year later and things might have worked out well for him in all areas. Life is funny, the twists and turns. sometimes it is just a little luck, a break that gets it started.

I came across an interview yesterday in which Gicarri Harris stated he’s not far from a commitment decision and he anticipated making a decision at the end of September or at the beginning of October. So hopefully a decision and Purdue commitment coming soon! BTFU! 🖤💛🏀

PI: What will ultimately be your deciding factors when making your choice?

GH: I just want to go somewhere where I can win. I want to go somewhere that I can have great development so I can reach the NBA. Just want to have a great coaching staff, great campus life as well, great education and have friends, connections, and networking. So yeah, whichever one can accommodate all of those would definitely be where I would go.

PI: What is a timeline looking like for a commitment decision?

GH: Probably late September, early October.

I came across an interview yesterday in which Gicarri Harris stated he’s not far from a commitment decision and he anticipated making a decision at the end of September or at the beginning of October. So hopefully a decision and Purdue commitment coming soon! BTFU! 🖤💛🏀

PI: What will ultimately be your deciding factors when making your choice?

GH: I just want to go somewhere where I can win. I want to go somewhere that I can have great development so I can reach the NBA. Just want to have a great coaching staff, great campus life as well, great education and have friends, connections, and networking. So yeah, whichever one can accommodate all of those would definitely be where I would go.

PI: What is a timeline looking like for a commitment decision?

GH: Probably late September, early October.
Source for the article please? Did it come from an opposing teams site or a national agency?

Source for the article please? Did it come from an opposing teams site or a national agency?
Prospectiveinsight.com

Even with strong NBA bloodlines, Gicarri Harris, somehow remains one of the more underrated prospects in his class, possessing realistic pro upside in his own right. At 6’4”, Harris is a crafty guard who is capable of playing both backcourt positions. He has proven to be a winner and leader at Grayson High School (GA). Last year, he helped the program to reach the Georgia Boys State Basketball AAAAAAA semi-final before losing to eventual champ Wheeler High School (GA). This past summer, the rising senior was invited to both the adidas Eurocamp and adidas All-American Camp, showcasing his offensive productivity, positional versatility, and shotmaking ability in front of NBA personnel and talent evaluators. With a college decision on the horizon, one program in his top-six of Georgia Tech, LSU, Miami, Purdue, Stanford, and Virginia Tech will have an opportunity to add a significant piece to its roster.

In this interview with Pro Insight’s
Conrad Chow, Harris discussed his family’s athletic background, shared his Eurocamp takeaways and a cultural highlight from the trip, broke down his top-six schools, a timeline for a commitment decision, and much more.

For the next installment of the Pro Insight Q&A series, we present 2024 prospect Gicarri Harris, from Loganville, Georgia:

GH: I just want to go somewhere where I can win.

[With Painter’s track record and the talent on the roster, this bodes well for Purdue]

GH: I want to go somewhere that I can have great development so I can reach the NBA.

[Exhibit 1: Jaden Ivey]

GH: Just want to have a great coaching staff [check], great campus life as well [highly subjective], great education [check] and have friends [see Purdue’s low transfer rate and reputation for having a close knit team], connections, and networking [listening to Rafael Davis, I think Purdue can make this case].

Saw this on Perry. Makes me wonder if we miss out on him and that’s why the focus on guards in 25 & 26 are being added to the list.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Saw this on Perry. Makes me wonder if we miss out on him and that’s why the focus on guards in 25 & 26 are being added to the list.

With all the stuff I’ve looked over on different site searches I think Perry is looking hard at ole Miss, Missouri and Purdue… might need to add Cincinnati now lol. Or I may be way off too 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not that we were still in contention for Trent Burns, but he just committed to Missouri. Really looks like a late bloomer who can do it all. Too bad we don't have enough scholarships for all. Here's to hoping we land Gicarri soon.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Not that we were still in contention for Trent Burns, but he just committed to Missouri. Really looks like a late bloomer who can do it all. Too bad we don't have enough scholarships for all. Here's to hoping we land Gicarri soon.
If Burns becomes an all conference performer I would be very surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT