ADVERTISEMENT

Perry, Harris, and Forsythe class of 2024

From LSU sight on Harris.

*4 Star G Gicarri Harris LINK - Gicarri is nearing a decision in the coming week. He has been keeping his recruitment close to the vest but LSU is definitely somewhere near the top and his visit here went well. It might be a Purdue/LSU battle. We'll just have to see in the coming week.
Was this before or after the Givens announcement? I’m wondering if that will have an impact (in our favor).

Sorry......sorry everyone.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb0a873f0-5f0d-4cf5-acd2-90ba5541f658_245x171.gif

It seems LSU (& VT evidently has made a push as well) has really been ramping up efforts to land Harris.
From LSU page:
Gicarri Harris… The four-star wing is at the top of LSU’s wish list in the 2024 cycle with this program turning up the heat for the Top 75 prospect. There are several suitors here for the prized Georgia native with Virginia Tech, Purdue and Georgia Tech, among others, pushing for his services. Sources with familiarity to the situation feel LSU is in a good spot but will continue being a battle with no commitment date locked in just yet.

Hopefully we’re still all in on a final push for him to be a future Boilermaker!

It seems LSU (& VT evidently has made a push as well) has really been ramping up efforts to land Harris.
From LSU page:
Gicarri Harris… The four-star wing is at the top of LSU’s wish list in the 2024 cycle with this program turning up the heat for the Top 75 prospect. There are several suitors here for the prized Georgia native with Virginia Tech, Purdue and Georgia Tech, among others, pushing for his services. Sources with familiarity to the situation feel LSU is in a good spot but will continue being a battle with no commitment date locked in just yet.

Hopefully we’re still all in on a final push for him to be a future Boilermaker!
I found it interesting that the article mentions two other guards that LSU is also “heavily pursuing” that are rated higher than Harris (one being silk the shocker’s son/master P’s nephew for any of you rap fans out there). It seems LSU wants them all, even after getting Givens haha. Not sure when the other two are going to announce but I would think that they’d have an impact on the decision by Harris and vice versa.

On one hand, I would think he’d want to come here and play for a program that has been in the top 5 the last two years, had a lotto pick, compete for conf championships, more than likely make the tournament consistently and will provide more exposure on a national stage. LSU won’t compete much in the SEC and probably struggle to make the tournament and not have as much exposure nationally. However, maybe he either can get more money (wouldn’t fault him for that) or maybe wants to make his own path (also understand that). Hopefully, he will commit to Purdue and add to the highly touted 2024 class.

I found it interesting that the article mentions two other guards that LSU is also “heavily pursuing” that are rated higher than Harris (one being silk the shocker’s son/master P’s nephew for any of you rap fans out there). It seems LSU wants them all, even after getting Givens haha. Not sure when the other two are going to announce but I would think that they’d have an impact on the decision by Harris and vice versa.

On one hand, I would think he’d want to come here and play for a program that has been in the top 5 the last two years, had a lotto pick, compete for conf championships, more than likely make the tournament consistently and will provide more exposure on a national stage. LSU won’t compete much in the SEC and probably struggle to make the tournament and not have as much exposure nationally. However, maybe he either can get more money (wouldn’t fault him for that) or maybe wants to make his own path (also understand that). Hopefully, he will commit to Purdue and add to the highly touted 2024 class.
Painter had a quote saying that in recruiting there's an adage of 'catch the fish, then clean them', meaning land the guys and then figure out what you're going to do with them. That exactly what LSU is doing here and the approach that Painter fundamentally disagrees with and won't do.

I agree with your points that it would be disappointing to see Harris not pick Purdue, particularly given the number of factors that seem to make MP's program a great fit for him.

Painter had a quote saying that in recruiting there's an adage of 'catch the fish, then clean them', meaning land the guys and then figure out what you're going to do with them. That exactly what LSU is doing here and the approach that Painter fundamentally disagrees with and won't do.

I agree with your points that it would be disappointing to see Harris not pick Purdue, particularly given the number of factors that seem to make MP's program a great fit for him.
Did…did you…just agree with me?!? 😂. Did we just become best friends?!

Only thing I’ll point out with Gicarri Harris is 0 analysts on 247 have put in a prediction. Makes me think they are keeping their cards close to the vest.

Curious if/when he is going to announce. He might be waiting to see how some of these other situations play out.

Reactions: Schnelk
Just a general comment about Harris. I think that his game may be a really nice compliment to that of Cox. On the surface, they have similarities from what I can tell, including solid frames, good length, ability to shoot, and a willingness to do the dirty work and play tough D. That said, Harris looks like the more explosive athlete and Cox looks like the crafty scorer. I would enjoy seeing them grow together.

I also love how the entire class would fit together with Harris. I think that having great shooters at the 3 and 5 would open up a lot of space for the other 3 to use their slashing ability. I’m not saying that all 5 will be starters at the same time, as there will always be other good players on the roster, but it is interesting to think of a 5 man class as a unit. The last time we could really do that was 2014.

Why am I reminded of Derek Willis (although there is no commitment yet to Purdue in this instance)?
coffee.gif

Wonder what 'ol Del is up to by the way. Haha.
LAMO. Was trying to remember the kid who backed out of his commitment when thinking of Perry the other day. Kid basically never played at Kentucky during his time.

LAMO. Was trying to remember the kid who backed out of his commitment when thinking of Perry the other day. Kid basically never played at Kentucky during his time.
I think he played a good bit his junior year and a lot his senior year. Might have even been a starter some his senior year.

Looking it up they lost in the second round his junior year and elite eight his senior year.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
No, but when he was passed out on the road he probably didn’t have far to travel for that Kentucky bourbon

All are combo guards Purdue is recruiting for the 2024 class. All have won their conference championships. With Benter and Catchings already in the class both wings and combo guards both won their conference championships as well. With Edey, Morton, Gillis, and Newman set to exit in 2024. Purdue could take two of the three. But with Flory Bidunga on the table, should they? While this is a good problem to have it gets even more complicated when you factor in 2025 one and done Jalen Haralson. I was recently asked which one I would take. To answer that question, we have to look at what we will have. Loyer, Smith, Heide, Colvin, Catchings, and Benter. Six players for 3 spots. IMO Painter will add just one of them. Colvin will find playing time in 2023 he reclassified up a year. He is a big strong 6'6 wing with more physical abilities than anyone on the team. Colvin will be here 2 years only. Catchings is a one and done talent at 6'8 he is the best option to back up Smith and Furst as well as both wings. He will be on the floor at all times. Jack the backboard slayer is the toughest of them all or at least tied with Colvin. He can play either wing spot I would say 1, 2, and 3 but Catchings is the better option at PG. And we all know some of what Smith and Loyer bring to the table. So, which one would I take? Perry scored 61 points against an inferior team last week. Dayton Forsythe scored 45 points with 12 boards and 11 assists against a school twice their size. Harris won his conference championship scoring 41 points vs the second ranked team in Georgia. Harris is a big strong guard who loves to play defense his game is physical and translates well in the B10. Perry is a scorer not sure his body is B10 ready, but he can score in so many ways. Forsythe is a Braden Smith clone he has a warrior mentally and is simply a winner the best passer of the 3 he makes everyone better a pass first PG who averages 25 per. I would take the first one to commit. If that isn't Forsythe, then I would hope he doesn't go to Nebraska. Jaden Ivey and Carsen Edwards have put Purdue near the top of any combo guards list. Just to complicate thing I am hearing Markus Burton a Notre Dame signee is in play. He will likely win MR. BB edging out Xavier Booker. Even with Brey leaving I am not sure he would pick Purdue a 5'10 point guard competing with Smith?

When I think about the 2024 season, I can't even come up with a starting five. Smith, Loyer, Furst, Colvin seem to be locks. With Kaufman-Renn and Berg sharing time at the 5. But then you leave out Catching whom I believe is one of best players Painter has ever landed. Good problems to have maybe?
Wouldn’t count on Perry

Think with Cox committing, that our conclusion is we have moved on.
Yep from all accounts that we have read on here and in the articles, painter seemed to like CJ a lot more and I’m going to trust him
On that since he’s been pretty good at evaluating talent before they get really good. Hope we can have Harris to round out the 2024 class.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Speaking of Harris - Kanon posted a photo from a few weeks back at one of the football games and Gicarri is next to him.

Not reading tea leaves but would be an awesome addition to round out this class.
I posted the following on the other site. It has NOTHING to do with your post or this thread. I do however think many do NOT think about the following or maybe were not aware of the reason we hope Trey has a good year at the four. If not, then I'm sure there will be some reflection. Anyway there is always a lot going on outside the actual games...I mean that is just part of being human
**********************************************************************************************************

I think it is also important to remember that Matt pulled Trey in from IU territory. It was Trey's uncle and Matt's honesty that were positives for Purdue. Trey did NOT come to Purdue to play the 5 (at least not play the low post) and it seems a lot of posters are not aware or have forgot. That said Trey is really good on the blocks.

Trey being successful at the 4 is not only good for Trey and Purdue, but for Matt's recruiting as well. Just as loosening the reins a bit on Carsen and Jaden was good for them...and recruiting. That balancing act is tough...holding the team together, not showing favoritism and yet players buying into what is a good shot for one may not be for another.

Trey has reshaped his body a bit and all the work people mention about Trey was not done to play the low post 5. We all have questions in how well Trey can do with a bit more space, but it is a win for everyone if he can be a good 4 or if a 5 and Zach is resting for him to be playing low to high post and not just stuck on the blocks

I posted the following on the other site. It has NOTHING to do with your post or this thread. I do however think many do NOT think about the following or maybe were not aware of the reason we hope Trey has a good year at the four. If not, then I'm sure there will be some reflection. Anyway there is always a lot going on outside the actual games...I mean that is just part of being human
**********************************************************************************************************

I think it is also important to remember that Matt pulled Trey in from IU territory. It was Trey's uncle and Matt's honesty that were positives for Purdue. Trey did NOT come to Purdue to play the 5 (at least not play the low post) and it seems a lot of posters are not aware or have forgot. That said Trey is really good on the blocks.

Trey being successful at the 4 is not only good for Trey and Purdue, but for Matt's recruiting as well. Just as loosening the reins a bit on Carsen and Jaden was good for them...and recruiting. That balancing act is tough...holding the team together, not showing favoritism and yet players buying into what is a good shot for one may not be for another.

Trey has reshaped his body a bit and all the work people mention about Trey was not done to play the low post 5. We all have questions in how well Trey can do with a bit more space, but it is a win for everyone if he can be a good 4 or if a 5 and Zach is resting for him to be playing low to high post and not just stuck on the blocks
Well said, my friend!

Cox is nowhere near a Perry
As a recruit? Probably. As a player? Time will tell.

That's why we are on a free board talking about basketball and not scouting players to make our program better. There have been plenty of upper ranked kids that haven't equted to collegiate success, but Paint has shown to grab the lower recruit and make them very successful at the colligate level.

That’s what I thought until I started watching the game where they went head to head. Now I am in the camp that would prefer to come back to the question until after we have seen them both in college. Perry is definitely a very good player, but Cox might be a little like Braden Smith, a young man who is a little under the radar nationally but with talent that caught Matt Painter’s eye.

That’s what I thought until I started watching the game where they went head to head. Now I am in the camp that would prefer to come back to the question until after we have seen them both in college. Perry is definitely a very good player, but Cox might be a little like Braden Smith, a young man who is a little under the radar nationally but with talent that caught Matt Painter’s eye.
Ace is just a troll and doesn’t really have any insight. Don’t pay them any attention.

Sometimes you ask questions you already know the answer to.......as a nice way of saying, the poster is araging iu idiot.
Haha very true. IU board talks more about Purdue and its players a whole lot for “not caring” about Purdue.

Also, it’s funny how they come over and say one thing and don’t engage after that cuz they can’t back up anything.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT