ADVERTISEMENT

Painter ....does he stay or go without a FF ?

Elite 8 or its time to look elsewhere. I would rather not win the B1G and make a deep tournament run. But in reality he is probably here as long as he wants unless we lose in the first round again. If that happens it's time to move on as hard as that will be.
Who would Purdue hire and would you want to go through what IU has gone through the past 10 years? One appearance in the S16 and then not making the tourney a few years and then getting blown out twice when you finally do?

I’m all for us getting mad at painter, but not sure who could come in and be better, or at least right away without going on a coaching carrousel. I’m actually a bit encouraged the fan base is starting to want/expect more than just a B1G championship.

And I agree on E8 is expectation.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
It’s a little different currently as many teams are on a rental player for a year deal. Purdue is now doing it. It’s tough to run a squeaky clean program under the circumstances now.
Good point, the transfer waiver has added a second round of opportunity to buy players.

Winning and how a team gets to that point generates many different opinions. Who am I to say what someone must think or feel? My demographics are quite common…nothing special, and don’t know if my demographics were less common, if I would hold some of the same thinking? My hourglass is running down, but in my many years on earth I’ve experienced…the journey is under appreciated for many until the end goal is met. For the sake of the players, coaches and their families and friends along with all of the people that desire a FF or NC for themselves I hope they get their wish. I hope to see it to find out if a month later it holds the same value as originally thought.
You'd better be careful, people may stop showing up on this board if they run the risk of becoming smarter or more empathetic from reading your posts ;)

Great point around the value of what we most want often diminishing once we have it.

It depends...if we have a great regular season but lose to an incredibly hot team in the first round and no one could inexplicably shoot on our team then painter will not be at fault, if we play poorly again and lose to a mediocre team then I could see painter feeling a little heat...if we have a poor season like north carolina did last year then I could see the heat turned up some on painter....either way he's not getting fired from Purdue...we've never had expectations like this before under Painter and probably under keady too....we finally have enough talent and experience to compete against the best...I'm sure expectations are higher than they normally are for Purdue but I'm sure painter and the team embrace it...if we stay healthy I really don't see a major disappointment this year....remember the tourney is a one game season...I've seen some of the most talented teams ever in college bball not make a final four....if we do well in the regular season and lose to a crazy hot team in the Sweet sixteen, it will be disappointing but the heat will not be turned up on painter....he's not being judged on one game unless it is a colossal upset where we were listless the whole game....personally I want to see us improve throughout the year and actually look like a national contender before the tourney....we haven't done that since forever...that will give me hope that we should expect or reasonably have a chance at a final four....
Purdue is where you mentioned. "I've seen some of the most talented teams ever in college bball not make a final four." Some schools have had pretty close to PUrdue's talent this year for several years and did not make the FF every year. However, being hot at the right time is crucial...don't gel too early. Keep them struggling a bit, but winning to keep the edge by some players getting just a little out of their abilities, but not enough to lose a game. Timing is crucial...IMO

Reactions: mathboy
You'd better be careful, people may stop showing up on this board if they run the risk of becoming smarter or more empathetic from reading your posts ;)

Great point around the value of what we most want often diminishing once we have it.
To me it is all about the players, the coaches and their families. They are the ones that put so much into it. Us fans...well we can deal with the success or failures in however we deal with it. I have no FF want for me, but I do for the players, coaches and families. That is not to say that any others should share my sentiment. Nor does it mean I don't get frustrated with certain play...because I do. Probably pickier than many on certain things. However the results are...they shed no light on me.

Reactions: northside100
My son is a college track coach! He trains his athletes to be at their peak for their conference and ncaa championship! And they have experienced a lot of success. They view their track meets as learning experiences. Sure it’s nice to win those meets, but their objective is to improve. When I look at Purdue I see them preparing and peaking to be their best for certain preseason and certain big ten opponents than for the big ten and ncaa tournament. It appeared beating Gonzaga and IU were more important than tournament games! Teams that win the tournament are the ones that gel and peak in the tournament. They use the rest of the year to prepare and build to their tournament success. In track nobody cares who won the boiler or IU track meets! What matters is the championships. Becoming an all American is a lot more important than beating IU or Purdue!

My son is a college track coach! He trains his athletes to be at their peak for their conference and ncaa championship! And they have experienced a lot of success. They view their track meets as learning experiences. Sure it’s nice to win those meets, but their objective is to improve. When I look at Purdue I see them preparing and peaking to be their best for certain preseason and certain big ten opponents than for the big ten and ncaa tournament. It appeared beating Gonzaga and IU were more important than tournament games! Teams that win the tournament are the ones that gel and peak in the tournament. They use the rest of the year to prepare and build to their tournament success. In track nobody cares who won the boiler or IU track meets! What matters is the championships. Becoming an all American is a lot more important than beating IU or Purdue!
Do you really think the coaches and team don't understand the goal is continual improvement? They understand that, but they also must win while improving.

Reactions: z_one
I'm pretty naïve as to how college track and field works. Do you win a conference championship by winning individual meets throughout the season? I don't think so, but I honestly could easily be wrong.

Look, there is no doubt we have a very talented team and as of this morning we are tied for the third best odds to win it all (14-1) behind only Duke and Kansas. So I certainly understand people having a lot of confidence that we will reach the FF. Nothing wrong with that and I have said so several times.

However.......I personally have been very optimistic in some previous seasons only to see those hopes go down the drain. So I don't have any more confidence that we are going to get to the FF this year or next year. It doesn't mean that I don't think this team is very good or that we aren't "trending" better than recent years.

The question was asked if CMP would leave PU with a FF or not? I said I wasn't confident that he would. It's just one guy's opinion, nothing more.
Even with 14-1 odds of winning the championship, the implied chances of making the Final Four are somewhere around 3.5-1 (assuming that FF games are 50/50 toss-ups). I don’t think that there is a team in the country who can expect to make the FF this season. I like where Purdue stands at this point, but for Purdue and every other team at this point of the year, making the Final Four is less likely than not.

Not until the team is not competing for the B1G Championships on a regular basis! If one's success is ONLY measured by FF's, one needs to find a different school to support!

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Not until the team is not competing for the B1G Championships on a regular basis! If one's success is ONLY measured by FF's, one needs to find a different school to support!

With conference expansion, the odds of winning regular B10 championships, just went way down for everyone, including Purdue.

Do you really think the coaches and team don't understand the goal is continual improvement? They understand that, but they also must win while improving.
I know this question wasn't for me but won't let that keep me from putting my two cents in. From my perspective there is a spectrum of approaches one can take, ranging from solely focusing on winning games to solely focusing on driving improvement and optimizing for March. I agree that coaches understand this and no one is all the way on one end of the spectrum or the other, but my sense is that Matt has historically leaned towards the 'win every game' side and understands that he needs to move further down the spectrum.

Whether one likes Coach K or not, he spends a lot of time talking about the season being a learning process and focusing on peaking in March and it showed in his results.

Reactions: Dryfly88
I know this question wasn't for me but won't let that keep me from putting my two cents in. From my perspective there is a spectrum of approaches one can take, ranging from solely focusing on winning games to solely focusing on driving improvement and optimizing for March. I agree that coaches understand this and no one is all the way on one end of the spectrum or the other, but my sense is that Matt has historically leaned towards the 'win every game' side and understands that he needs to move further down the spectrum.

Whether one likes Coach K or not, he spends a lot of time talking about the season being a learning process and focusing on peaking in March and it showed in his results.
Agree. CMP is very good at installing his "stuff" and gets it done quickly. Feels like we then stagnate some and aren't actually playing better at the end of the season. I argue that a lot of that has to do with the conference we play in. But that's just one guys take.

Agree. CMP is very good at installing his "stuff" and gets it done quickly. Feels like we then stagnate some and aren't actually playing better at the end of the season. I argue that a lot of that has to do with the conference we play in. But that's just one guys take.
Agree with that. I think the results also vary based on the personnel and we likely have some recency bias. I remember the North Texas year the team dropped some games early and then beat MSU in January and went on a nice run and the media narrative was that 'Painter teams tend to start slowly but you can always count on them to start playing their best basketball in January and February' because the team Vince's senior year also started slow.

Now we've had two years in a row with teams that start red hot and petered out and the narrative flips.

I think you're counting your chickens before they hatch (since you're over 60 you should get that one). But you're certainly entitled to do so. I don't have any more confidence that we will get to a FF this season than I have many other years before. You obviously feel differently and have a great deal of confidence. We shall see what the next few years have in store.
You ever hear the expression you gotta bang on the door before you kick it in? I see us. I think Matt's ready to run a tank through it.
As previously posted, I believe in the power of positive thinking. So our boys will not hear of anything less than EXCELLENCE from me. ;)
You can't show me "many other years before" with the complete lineup we SHOULD have now. Certainly never even close to this depth. Time will tell if the main men are as good as the main men were then.
I'm cautiously optimistic that they are (though still young).
If you aren't confident this year you never ever will be.

Could be, but the number goals in basketball for a few decades were in descending order NC, FF, Big conference or championship. I believe that improvement is a continuous goal . Nobody has mentioned it, but I suspect Matt has a typical practice schedule that he may slightly tweak from one year to the other and that he doesn't start from scratch each year. That said...perhaps the timing of various implementations along with some alterations be in play. Keeping stats as he does also shows a concern for improvement. The real question that differs amongst fans is "what needs improved" and/or "what needs implemented". I would prefer less sets and more motion. With the number of sets Matt has ...it too, like motion is more of a difficult scout. I just think motion improves more over the season than sets...although sets get out early and maybe partially responsible for success early.

Reactions: Schnelk
Who would Purdue hire and would you want to go through what IU has gone through the past 10 years? One appearance in the S16 and then not making the tourney a few years and then getting blown out twice when you finally do?

I’m all for us getting mad at painter, but not sure who could come in and be better, or at least right away without going on a coaching carrousel. I’m actually a bit encouraged the fan base is starting to want/expect more than just a B1G championship.

And I agree on E8 is expectation.
The “who would you hire?” Argument gets beaten to death.
The question gets asked, someone responds with a list, and then the questioner gets all bent out of shape because they don’t like the answers.
Most of it has to do with how much money is PU willing to offer.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Could be, but the number goals in basketball for a few decades were in descending order NC, FF, Big conference or championship. I believe that improvement is a continuous goal . Nobody has mentioned it, but I suspect Matt has a typical practice schedule that he may slightly tweak from one year to the other and that he doesn't start from scratch each year. That said...perhaps the timing of various implementations along with some alterations be in play. Keeping stats as he does also shows a concern for improvement. The real question that differs amongst fans is "what needs improved" and/or "what needs implemented". I would prefer less sets and more motion. With the number of sets Matt has ...it too, like motion is more of a difficult scout. I just think motion improves more over the season than sets...although sets get out early and maybe partially responsible for success early.
I think you're right but it's also who you play and when. Zach can probably play 32+ mpg with not negative impact and playing him that much gives us the best chance to win each game. I'm not sure that his improvement will vary much whether he plays 25 mpg or 32 mpg, but those extra 7 mpg might make a big difference divvied up between Trey and Caleb.

Having Braden on the floor 35 mpg probably gives us the best chance to win each game but I'm not sure that optimizes development and it almost certainly doesn't position him to be at his peak physically in March.

Matt is certainly better positioned to make those calls than I am but it will be interesting to see how those thing play out.

Reactions: Schnelk
If Purdue has improved their overall and 3 point shooting there should not be a repeat of the early exits this year barring a late injury to a key player!

I'm pretty naïve as to how college track and field works. Do you win a conference championship by winning individual meets throughout the season? I don't think so, but I honestly could easily be wrong.
in track, everything is geared towards winning the last conference meet and winning in the NCAA championship. nothing else really matters. isn't that the way it is in college basketball? winning the NCAA tourney is all that matters. nobody cares what your regular season record or standing is. winning a BIG 10 regular season title has become rather meaningless in comparison to making the final 4. I believe we could be placing emphasis on winning the wrong games and peaking too soon. we waste so much energy playing BIG 10 games, we have almost nothing left for the NCAA tourney. we go into the tourney a tired a beat up team. In track, you are at your peak physically for the tourney. that's when records are set. it's a different philosophy and mindset. think about it. try telling a fan being healthy and at your peak and winning two elite 8 games is more important than being ranked #1 during the regular season and beating Gonzaga and IU. you will be called a troll or worse - an Iu fan for suggesting winning an elite 8 game is more important than beating iu. The truth is , this basketball team spends too much energy winning meaningless games. at the end of the season do we really care if we beat UW, osu, mich and IU, or would we rather be one of the final 4 teams?

Reactions: Boiler Buck
in track, everything is geared towards winning the last conference meet and winning in the NCAA championship. nothing else really matters. isn't that the way it is in college basketball? winning the NCAA tourney is all that matters. nobody cares what your regular season record or standing is. winning a BIG 10 regular season title has become rather meaningless in comparison to making the final 4. I believe we could be placing emphasis on winning the wrong games and peaking too soon. we waste so much energy playing BIG 10 games, we have almost nothing left for the NCAA tourney. we go into the tourney a tired a beat up team. In track, you are at your peak physically for the tourney. that's when records are set. it's a different philosophy and mindset. think about it. try telling a fan being healthy and at your peak and winning two elite 8 games is more important than being ranked #1 during the regular season and beating Gonzaga and IU. you will be called a troll or worse - an Iu fan for suggesting winning an elite 8 game is more important than beating iu. The truth is , this basketball team spends too much energy winning meaningless games. at the end of the season do we really care if we beat UW, osu, mich and IU, or would we rather be one of the final 4 teams?
one of the most common comments from last year was that Purdue was a tired team. and that needs to be addressed. do we give people less minutes? do we stop being as aggressive on defensive and play some zone to save some energy ? do we have a better training staff? I don't have the answers of how to fix this problem. but it's obvious this team does not have the same energy in March as it does in December. and tired teams have a tendency to lose.

one of the most common comments from last year was that Purdue was a tired team. and that needs to be addressed. do we give people less minutes? do we stop being as aggressive on defensive and play some zone to save some energy ? do we have a better training staff? I don't have the answers of how to fix this problem. but it's obvious this team does not have the same energy in March as it does in December. and tired teams have a tendency to lose.
The way the game is played in the B1G has a lot to do with being worn out in March/April. This isn’t a Purdue thing, it’s happening to all or near all of the teams in the league.

The way the game is played in the B1G has a lot to do with being worn out in March/April. This isn’t a Purdue thing, it’s happening to all or near all of the teams in the league.

For sure. The coaches and commissioner needs to work together to address this with the referees. For the last 2 decades it has hurt recruiting, and tourney results for the league.....not to mention watchability.
Although, I question how much some teams like Wisconsin, R and perhaps even Purdue want change??

Last edited:
I would definitely agree. The BIG 10 schedule is a very physically and demanding schedule. It’s their style of play! The problem is it kills off all of its team before the March dance and none of the big 10 are close to being at their physical peak for the ncaa tournament. That is obviously a factor in poor performances by big 10 teams. The question is how do you correct it? Do you start conference games earlier? And schedule a couple of easy non conference games late in the season to provide a breather? I noticed 1-2 teams did that in the past. The acc and sec always seem to have cream puffs in their conference. The big 10 needs more cream puff basketball teams!

From my perspective no, that's not even close to the way that it is with college basketball. If it were, they wouldn't keep conference standings or award conference championships for the regular season.

You have every right to feel personally as a fan that only the NCAAT matters, but that's not true for the players, coaches and many fans.

From my perspective no, that's not even close to the way that it is with college basketball. If it were, they wouldn't keep conference standings or award conference championships for the regular season.

You have every right to feel personally as a fan that only the NCAAT matters, but that's not true for the players, coaches and many fans.
Then if Purdue’s fans believe that regular season records and big 10 championships are more important, they need to stop complaining about our early ncaa exits. Because to win the Bog 10, it takes a physical beating that other conferences do not have to suffer through.

I would definitely agree. The BIG 10 schedule is a very physically and demanding schedule. It’s their style of play! The problem is it kills off all of its team before the March dance and none of the big 10 are close to being at their physical peak for the ncaa tournament. That is obviously a factor in poor performances by big 10 teams. The question is how do you correct it? Do you start conference games earlier? And schedule a couple of easy non conference games late in the season to provide a breather? I noticed 1-2 teams did that in the past. The acc and sec always seem to have cream puffs in their conference. The big 10 needs more cream puff basketball teams!
Agree. I think it's officiating. Clearly set expectations and bring down the hammer if refs don't abide. The Northwestern game last year was inexcusable but it's not the only example.

Spend some of that TV money to attract and keep better refs and get rid of them if they don't follow direction.

I think you're right but it's also who you play and when. Zach can probably play 32+ mpg with not negative impact and playing him that much gives us the best chance to win each game. I'm not sure that his improvement will vary much whether he plays 25 mpg or 32 mpg, but those extra 7 mpg might make a big difference divvied up between Trey and Caleb.

Having Braden on the floor 35 mpg probably gives us the best chance to win each game but I'm not sure that optimizes development and it almost certainly doesn't position him to be at his peak physically in March.

Matt is certainly better positioned to make those calls than I am but it will be interesting to see how those thing play out.
WEll, I know those goals go back to mid to late 80s. Here is a problem as I see it. Development to the max for a given individual by the very definition requires testing and gathering experience of that which you are not good. That development broadens your skill level and gives you multiple tools in your tool box to use for certain fixes instead of a tool box with hammers and just selecting the right size. That said...how many players can a coach loosen the bridle on and have a good team, because the players AND fans want winners. So any individual development outside of the typical drills in season happen when you can focus on individual development...or outside the season. Individually, players can work on shooting and dribbling alone...and MAKE huge improvements sometimes. Players can work on their bodies and try to max out their God given athletic attributes as well. However, a coach IMO has little freedom to let players color outside the lines and still have a worthy picture and so you have a couple of forces working against each other...winning or players getting experience doing things they are not very good doing. This is why I've said many times over the years I do not want to beat teams bad. I want a give and take game that is a nail biter that Purdue pulls away towards the end. I prefer Purdue under pressure and still win. I prefer closer games that allow a bit more freedom and still win. That balancing act is probably shared by every coach...but unless you have much superior personnel it rarely happens. I want the struggle and the continual battle in that struggle until the tourney where the broader ability has a bit more freedom to counter and take advantage where he can. Lastly, I look for Braden and Zach's minutes to be lower this year.

Then if Purdue’s fans believe that regular season records and big 10 championships are more important, they need to stop complaining about our early ncaa exits. Because to win the Bog 10, it takes a physical beating that other conferences do not have to suffer through.
Completely agree. For me personally I would say that both are important. I'd take two Big Ten championships and a first round loss over a second or third place finish and a sweet sixteen, but I might trade one of those championships for an elite eight and I'd definitely trade both for a final four.

I like to win everything, but that's just me.

With regards to trying to win everything, you have to do two things: 1) Win enough to make the tournament, and 2) Win enough to get a good to great seed. Seems both objectives are really only served by doing your best to win everything. The only "tank" game is in the BIG tournament and then only if you've taken care of business in the regular season.

Everything gets seen with hindsight. Painter can end his career here and if he “only” gets 1 final four what will you all think ? If I were Keady I would have taken that Pacers job, wonder if he was actually a front runner. But as usual, what do I know.

I believe officiating maybe the problem. I’m not saying they are bad. What I’m saying is they allow the games to become too physical And it wears down the team over the corse of a BIG10 season. And come tournament time the team is not ready to adapt to a different style of officiating. The participation in outside preseason tournaments provides a good sampling of other officiating. But our players are just too battered and bloodied by the end of a BIG 10 season. We are subjected to playing a lot of teams that use goons to attack. And they don’t really care. However it was pointed out early last year the way to beat Purdue was clog the middle and dare Purdue to make their 3 point shots. We make a few, it’s a different story! The ncaa tournament is won by guard play

Completely agree. For me personally I would say that both are important. I'd take two Big Ten championships and a first round loss over a second or third place finish and a sweet sixteen, but I might trade one of those championships for an elite eight and I'd definitely trade both for a final four.
I don’t think I follow why you’d rather have 2 big ten titles and a first round exit as opposed to a second or third place finish and a S16?

I don’t think I follow why you’d rather have 2 big ten titles and a first round exit as opposed to a second or third place finish and a S16?
Obviously you're entitled to place whatever value you want on Big Ten championships (or no value at all), but I'm not sure I understand what's hard to follow.

I was of course disappointed with the first round loss but it wasn't personal for me, I didn't feel embarrassed to be a Purdue fan as some here were. To me a SS is a made up thing, it just means that you won two games in the tournament. No one will remember two years from now who lost in the SS. I enjoy the regular season and I enjoyed watching Purdue win the league by three games and the BTT. Not many teams do that and while you're under no obligation to value those accomplishments, I certainly do.

Obviously you're entitled to place whatever value you want on Big Ten championships (or no value at all), but I'm not sure I understand what's hard to follow.

I was of course disappointed with the first round loss but it wasn't personal for me, I didn't feel embarrassed to be a Purdue fan as some here were. To me a SS is a made up thing, it just means that you won two games in the tournament. No one will remember two years from now who lost in the SS. I enjoy the regular season and I enjoyed watching Purdue win the league by three games and the BTT. Not many teams do that and while you're under no obligation to value those accomplishments, I certainly do.
Just was trying to a wrap my head around why a B1G championship is so highly valued in your eyes, that’s all. We have won the most in the conference, but can’t seem
to get over the hump to the E8 and beyond (besides 1 every 20 years).

In regards to the S16 comment, if you asked me on the spot who won the B1G or BTT two years ago, I’d have to go look it up cuz I definitely don’t remember who won either of those and I’d think others would be in the same boat, but maybe not.

Tbh, it was super fun to watch the team surpass all expectations and win the conference by that much last year. And I wish I could just be content with a B1G championship and a first round exit to a 17 seed—I kinda envy that you can do that! But to each his own!

I think this fan base deserves more than just a B1G championship or BTT , as there have been some unlucky scenarios in March that have occurred during Painters tenure. I do acknowledge there also have been some bad losses that were very frustrating and embarrassing.

At the end of the day, I’d trade some B1G championships and the BTT for a F4 appearance. Hope we will get to see one in the next few years.

Just was trying to a wrap my head around why a B1G championship is so highly valued in your eyes, that’s all. We have won the most in the conference, but can’t seem
to get over the hump to the E8 and beyond (besides 1 every 20 years).

In regards to the S16 comment, if you asked me on the spot who won the B1G or BTT two years ago, I’d have to go look it up cuz I definitely don’t remember who won either of those and I’d think others would be in the same boat, but maybe not.

Tbh, it was super fun to watch the team surpass all expectations and win the conference by that much last year. And I wish I could just be content with a B1G championship and a first round exit to a 17 seed—I kinda envy that you can do that! But to each his own!

I think this fan base deserves more than just a B1G championship or BTT , as there have been some unlucky scenarios in March that have occurred during Painters tenure. I do acknowledge there also have been some bad losses that were very frustrating and embarrassing.

At the end of the day, I’d trade some B1G championships and the BTT for a F4 appearance. Hope we will get to see one in the next few years.
That's all completely fair. For me personally it boils down to a few things:
1) I enjoy the regular season and the NCAAT equally and put significant value on NCAAT success, but unless you make the FF or at least are playing for a FF bid in the EE, I don't see first and second round wins as much of an accomplishment.

2) Because I enjoy the regular season and because it is so much longer than the few weekends of the NCAAT, I value seeing the guys rewarded for their work with a BT championship.

3) I made a decision a few years ago to not get so emotionally invested in the outcomes of this program. I still very much enjoy the wins but I had reached the point where I was miserable during games if we weren't playing well and miserable after games if we lost. It just wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
I thought you left? You really have no clue when they were training to gel. OSU has a budget second to none. They are the professional team in a city larger than Indianapolis. You again show your ignorance of virtually everything you post about. Purdue always comes up short in your eyes. Just become a OSU fan and get the hell out of here if all you are going to do is demean Purdue. OSU has ALWAYS cheated like crazy in sports. Now your son is in that company. Congrats.

This is the Izzo approach. He usually plays a really tough pre conf schedule, but everything is geared towards gearing up for March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT